NHL 12 first look video

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

NHL 12 first look video

Post by GameSeven »

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/05/24/nh ... ew-trailer

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1170292p1.html

An annual guaranteed purchase for me. I like what I see so far and can't wait to see more over the next couple of months...

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NHL 12 first look video

Post by GameSeven »

New to NHL 12 is the Action Tracker. During gameplay the Action Tracker will keep track of everything that occurs on the ice. From what area of the net you shooting at most, to where on the ice is your face-off percentage highest – no detail is overlooked. The Action Tracker also automatically saves these events through instant replay, allowing you to go back watch the event anytime during the game.

Hopefully the pic above is persistent. If I see another more reliable copy available, will relink it later.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

GameSeven wrote:Image
New to NHL 12 is the Action Tracker. During gameplay the Action Tracker will keep track of everything that occurs on the ice. From what area of the net you shooting at most, to where on the ice is your face-off percentage highest – no detail is overlooked. The Action Tracker also automatically saves these events through instant replay, allowing you to go back watch the event anytime during the game.

Hopefully the pic above is persistent. If I see another more reliable copy available, will relink it later.
Hey that looks just like the NHL gamecenter app on ipad. Kinda neat.

As for the video, goalie fights, knocking off the helmet, breaking glass, even the winter classic are all ultimately trivial additions that are just eye candy. "Live goalies" could be very interesting though.

I stick to my standing complaints though about skating/turning/acceleration and rampant sticklifting. I'm expecting sticklifting to be nerfed somewhat, I have less faith about addressing the "figure skating."
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Interesting.. I just hope they stop the superhuman goalies and allow you to tell who's on the ice without reading their names on their jersey.

The series has been getting stale for me and each game feels the same. We need some separation in players, including goalies.

More info: http://www.ea.com/nhl/1/nhl-12-hockey-whiteboard

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

MizzouRah wrote: The series has been getting stale for me and each game feels the same.
Same here. I'm positive that some new camera angles would take the stale feeling away for me, and I was hoping to see some mention of those in the reveal. Unfortunately, I'm afraid the "improved presentation" just means we'll see new stat overlays and cut scenes, but I really hope I'm wrong about that. All they'd have to do is add 2k's broadcast cam and the game would be a first day purchase for me.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

All mad heaven goalies must be going nuts. I guess it's time for me to sell 11 and pre-order this one. Look forward to 'Winter Classic'.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It's official, 2K has pulled out of hockey games, no games for 2012.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

looks good but it looks the same as the last 4 years. Not a bad thing, but can't see anything that leaps out at me. What is this gamecenter thing for? Stats? If so I'll probably not ever utilize it.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Rodster wrote:It's official, 2K has pulled out of hockey games, no games for 2012.
That's too bad. I would have killed for an NHL Today mode. I'm pretty sure the lack of it in NHL 11 is what left me bored. NBA Today and MLB Today are some of the bet ways to pick up and play sports games. I don't think football games need this so much. But sports that schedule throughout the week really benefit from it.

I didn't even need NHL 2K12 to have better gameplay, just good gameplay. I'm up in the air on how much I am anticipating NHL 12. NBA 2K12 may beat it out even thought I like hockey better than pro basketball. Of course, college basketball would win hands down. But apparently that doesn't make money.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Absolute day 1 purchase. I have played 11 more than any game the past 5 years. Love playing randoms online. We gotta get an EHL team going again. I'd love to get into some team play.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Rodster wrote:It's official, 2K has pulled out of hockey games, no games for 2012.
Damn, really?

I was hoping a year off would have done that series wonders.. I'm waiting on EA's NHL game this year until I hear about player separation and goalies that aren't so damn hard to score on.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I want to hear more AI improvement as the details of the game gets closer to release date. I want to see more battles around the crease between defenders and forwards, the little tussles here and there and hopefully the jostling in front of the net for 12 gives me some of that. The other cosmetic add-ons, like Goalie fights, broken glasses I could care less for...

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:the little tussles here and there and hopefully the jostling in front of the net for 12 gives me some of that.
That's where the game has been a letdown for me as well. I'm not up on my hockey as you guys but watching a hockey game on TV, I notice how defenders tend to get real aggressive when you put a man in the crease or in front of the goalie.

I've been hoping for a more realistic feel in front of the opposing crease. The other thing I didn't like about NHL 11 with the new physics system was the figure skating effect when changing player direction. Am I wrong about this?

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

The battles in front of the net and hopefully real screens sound good but everything else is just fluff. I want real puck and stick physics, not just body on body physics. I want more battles along the boards where puck and stick physics come into play, not just an option to pass the puck easily with your skate. I don't want forwards to be able to dipsy doodle there way straight into a defender and never lose control of the puck.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

LAking wrote:I want more battles along the boards where puck and stick physics come into play, not just an option to pass the puck easily with your skate. I don't want forwards to be able to dipsy doodle there way straight into a defender and never lose control of the puck.
I'm not holding my breath.

Almost certainly players will be able to cleanly pick up the puck off the boards and immediately turn and accelerate to full speed. This will keep dump and chase mostly worthless in this game.

Except to see exaggerated puck dangles while skating straight at a defender, or skating in circles with the puck like always.

I'd be shocked if that is changed in any meaningful way unless EA is marketing it as a 'feature' or some rhyming gameplay style that they can put on the back of box.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Is the iPad app. it's own game or a complementary thing?

Probably not free either way.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

wco81 wrote:Is the iPad app. it's own game or a complementary thing?

Probably not free either way.
It's the NHL game score app, not a game. I got it for free, don't remember iif it was a sale or not.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

yikes! Huge hits, broken glass, players checked into the bench.. I thought they already did NHL 3 on 3.

Call me skeptical. Those kinds of changes can tip a game on it's side. I'll trust EA as the track record with NHL and Fifa the last few years has been solid.. I'll be hanging onto my copy of 11 just in case.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Winter Classic intro video:

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

FifaInspected wrote:yikes! Huge hits, broken glass, players checked into the bench.. I thought they already did NHL 3 on 3.

Call me skeptical. Those kinds of changes can tip a game on it's side. I'll trust EA as the track record with NHL and Fifa the last few years has been solid.. I'll be hanging onto my copy of 11 just in case.
I'm with you. Those don't really hit me as improvements.

But I will say the NHL 2K6 or 2K7's (I can't remember which I was playing now) pond hockey was loads more fun than EA's 3 on 3, which is kind of just dumb. I picked it up right away because I enjoyed the old pond hockey mode, and it was just a huge letdown.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I have every confidence in this dev team. They have been solid the past three years. Looking forward to the game.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Diablo25 wrote:I have every confidence in this dev team. They have been solid the past three years. Looking forward to the game.
I thought NHL 11 was a great game. I just didn't end up playing it much. NHL 09 and NHL 10 were in constant heavy rotation, so I think I just got burned out a little. Plus, it was easy to trade in NHL 11 for NBA 2K11. I may like hockey more, but NBA 2K11 was just a great take on the game, and probably the fresh gameplay I was looking for.

I wish EA would invest in creating an NHL Today mode like 2K has with the NBA and MLB. Otherwise, the game is just so good now, all they really need to do is continue to improve and tweak the AI.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Pretty cool set of screenshots for NHL 12

http://www.puckgamer.com/nhl-12-screenshots/

NHL 11 was a great game even without any competition, they continue to push the devs to make the game better and better.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Some more info--worth a read;
http://www.operationsports.com/features ... -gameplay/
Shooting has also been refined this year adding the ability to redirect one-timers and take one-knee shots with skilled players, as well as the addition of even greater realism for scoring plays in the slot and around the net. You’re now able to roof shots in tight and tuck pucks around the goalie, which means that battling for space in front of the net has never been more important.

Without the puck, the improved analysis system means that the offensive AI is more intelligent and anticipates the play more effectively. Players without the puck will move with intent to open space in both the offensive and neutral zones in order to do a better job of supporting the puck carrier. Forwards will have the ability to anticipate breakouts in the defensive zone and look for space to receive the outlet pass, hoping to catch the defense off-guard. This AI anticipation will open up more space in the neutral zone for transition play, improving the speed and flow of the game.

In and around the offensive zone, the first thing you’ll be glad to see is that CPU players now have improved ‘Stay Onside Logic’, which will lead to less offsides as players will now drag their leg at the blue line to ensure they don’t jump ahead of the play and cause a whistle. In the offensive zone, CPU players will be more responsive to your actions: if you drive the net or shoot from outside, they’ll crash the net looking for a rebound; if you swing wide and hang out the puck, your teammates will move with greater intensity to open space looking for a pass or to support you.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I've been playing a ton of NHL 11 lately and it's actually renewed my interest and excitement for NHL 12.