Pro Spirits Baseball

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Pro Spirits Baseball

Post by FifaInspected »

Hey all.

Have any of you ever imported any of these titles? The game looks pretty decent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCdv8xmW ... re=related
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Pro Spirits Baseball

Post by Rodster »

That game has a HUGE following in Japan. Everything about the game looks awesome. 8)

It kind of reminds me of a baseball version of Pro Evolution Soccer.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Rodster wrote:That game has a HUGE following in Japan. Everything about the game looks awesome. 8)

It kind of reminds me of a baseball version of Pro Evolution Soccer.

I've read that for 2011 both the PS3 and 360 versions will play on North American consoles.. 3DS is region locked.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Always thought about looking into them, but thought that navigating through Japanese instructions, menus would be too daunting.

If it wasn't for The Show, I'd probably be all over it.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Fuuuuudge... 3DS is where I would have wanted to import/play this. Harumph.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

AJColossal wrote:Always thought about looking into them, but thought that navigating through Japanese instructions, menus would be too daunting.

Let the translation help begin: :)

http://www.spiritstranslation.com/
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

I imported Pro Yakyu Spirits 5...Having worked/lived in Japan for a bit, I thought it was really cool to have a slice of Japanese culture on my PS3.

If you are familiar the Japanese game or the atmosphere/players, you'll really see how great a job they did with the re-creation.

In terms of baseball, it plays VERY WELL - uses more of the cursor approach for batting, which I do like. It's hard, but not "cheap hard" which is nice.

Actually, your post kind of reminded me to pick this game up again. Edit - I now see the link you've posted with translation guide...Thanks!

I wouldn't pay enormous amounts to import - but I definitely recommend it if you like the Japanese game or baseball in general.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

FifaInspected wrote:
AJColossal wrote:Always thought about looking into them, but thought that navigating through Japanese instructions, menus would be too daunting.

Let the translation help begin: :)

http://www.spiritstranslation.com/
Thanks, but that's too much work for a video game, dammit!

Anyways, from the videos I've seen, the one thing I really think looks better than the American games is the the way the game depicts pitching the ball.

The act of pitching a baseball is a really violent motion, and in games like The Show or MLB, it's more like they go through a motion and the ball kind of appears out of their hand.

Looks much more lifelike in PSB.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

fanatic wrote: In terms of baseball, it plays VERY WELL - uses more of the cursor approach for batting, which I do like. It's hard, but not "cheap hard" which is nice.
I really miss a nice, difficult cursor hitting system. Sucks all western developers dropped them even as an option.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

webdanzer wrote:
fanatic wrote: In terms of baseball, it plays VERY WELL - uses more of the cursor approach for batting, which I do like. It's hard, but not "cheap hard" which is nice.
I really miss a nice, difficult cursor hitting system. Sucks all western developers dropped them even as an option.
I hear ya...

I think it's what leads to an overall greater hit variety. Full respect to the great work they've done making The Show, but the little nuances of one-to-one cursor hitting/contact feels more engaging to me.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

I have never liked cursor based batting.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

fanatic wrote:
I think it's what leads to an overall greater hit variety. ...the little nuances of one-to-one cursor hitting/contact feels more engaging to me.
Assuming the developers put some work into the physics, I totally agree! Unfortunately, it seems the majority of western gamers hate the system. (See below) I assume it worked well in Pro Spirits? I liked it a lot in Home Run Kings, but it just wasn't difficult enough.
tjung0831 wrote:I have never liked cursor based batting.
Well you're just why I can't have nice things... :lol: :wink:

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Ah, Home Run Kings... there's a graph in my mind charting the ever-shrinkening of that batting cursor, until alas, the game became unplayable. Great while it lasted.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

tjung0831 wrote:I have never liked cursor based batting.
I loved the idea of cursor based batting. But the actual process always felt distracting and the opposite of fun.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Power Pros - also by Konami, used cursor batting.. I liked it.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Pro Spirits looks awesome. I would be all over a 3DS version of Pro Spirits or Power Pros. Cursor-based batting is more up my alley with baseball games. This region locking stuff is total crap on the 3DS. Why would they region lock a game that will never be made for North America? I can understand region locking a game released in all regions, but not one made for only 1 region.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

FifaInspected wrote:Power Pros - also by Konami, used cursor batting.. I liked it.
That's right and it worked well. :)
toonarmy wrote:I would be all over a 3DS version of Pro Spirits or Power Pros. Cursor-based batting is more up my alley with baseball games. This region locking stuff is total crap on the 3DS. Why would they region lock a game that will never be made for North America? I can understand region locking a game released in all regions, but not one made for only 1 region.
R4 cartridge to the rescue. :)

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Rodster wrote:
FifaInspected wrote:Power Pros - also by Konami, used cursor batting.. I liked it.
toonarmy wrote:I would be all over a 3DS version of Pro Spirits or Power Pros. Cursor-based batting is more up my alley with baseball games. This region locking stuff is total crap on the 3DS. Why would they region lock a game that will never be made for North America? I can understand region locking a game released in all regions, but not one made for only 1 region.
Perhaps. Kind of worried about the bricking issue at this point though. I'm sure someone will devise something in the future to get around whatever Nintendo is devising to discourage any type of R4 use.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Ah man...as if I didn't have an incredible back-log of games to play (even picked up Vanquish at lunch today- thanks webdanzer for keeping it in my mind with your avatar!), now I'm psyched to get back into this one.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

toonarmy wrote:
Rodster wrote:
Perhaps. Kind of worried about the bricking issue at this point though. I'm sure someone will devise something in the future to get around whatever Nintendo is devising to discourage any type of R4 use.
I never went the R4 route with any of my DS'es but from what I remember it was easy to do and hard to brick. I think the same will hold true for the 3DS.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

I'm not worried about user error bricking the 3DS, rather I am worried about the steps Nintendo is possibly taking to discourage using an R4 style device. Forum chatter seems to indicate that there may be safeguards in place on the 3DS that will brick it if too much tinkering takes place.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

toonarmy wrote:I'm not worried about user error bricking the 3DS, rather I am worried about the steps Nintendo is possibly taking to discourage using an R4 style device. Forum chatter seems to indicate that there may be safeguards in place on the 3DS that will brick it if too much tinkering takes place.
Worry not, that's what the scene is for :)

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Rodster wrote:
toonarmy wrote:I'm not worried about user error bricking the 3DS, rather I am worried about the steps Nintendo is possibly taking to discourage using an R4 style device. Forum chatter seems to indicate that there may be safeguards in place on the 3DS that will brick it if too much tinkering takes place.
Worry not, that's what the scene is for :)
Banking on that

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Wow...89 dollars to import this game...no thanks...looks amazing though
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

$89.. yea. that's what I was thinking.. then I began to find clever ways to justify it..
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected