MLB Season 2011

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Season 2011

Post by Brando70 »

Amazing that both the Phillies and Yankees got bounced in the divisional series.

Brewers nearly turned into the Cubs but saved mass bratwurst sepaku among Wisconsin baseball fans. And Nyger Morgan set a record for the number of times "f*** yeah" was picked up by a mic. In fact, it was weird seeing the Brewers interviewed afterward -- none of them knew how to talk to the media after winning a playoff series. :D

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Congrats to the Cards. They deserved the series. Phillies didn't step up and that is what you need to do to win in the post season. Painful to watch.

I thought the Nyger Morgan thing was embarrassing. What a joke that guy is. Talented ballplayer but if I ran the Brewers I would be embarrassed. I cannot stand how the Brewers carry themselves. They act like a bunch of defensive backs in the NFL. I'll be pulling for the Tigers in the playoffs. Tom Brookens (Tigers coach) is a friend of mine so I gotta pull for him.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

bulls23 wrote:
Same here, my stomach was literally cramping the last two innings. That didn't even happen in '06...

Masterpiece by Carpenter, and he already earned his extension.

Here's to a repeat of 1982!
This team just finds ways to win games!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

snaz16 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Well, looks like the Cardinals season is over before it even starts. Wainwright has a significant elbow injury, most likely requiring Tommy John surgery. :(
Hey Dan,this was your quote to start this thread...pretty amazing,cause I think everyone was with ya. Just goes to show ya..it ain't over till the fat lady sings,,and she's only on the second verse. Gotta admit...didn't see this coming.
Whoa slow down. Might wanna wait till they win something before bringing up old s***. You just jinxed the cards. Whoops.

That said I agree that the brewers should be embarrassed about how they act on the field. That's one thing I'm extremely proud of the braves for...win or lose...always a classy organization. Too bad that doesnt translate to rings.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Brando70 wrote:Amazing that both the Phillies and Yankees got bounced in the divisional series.
Would be a lot more amazing if it wasn't a stupid 5-game series.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

This Cards teams reminds me of the won that won the WS a few years ago.

I didn't find anything wrong w/ the Brewers celebration.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Lancer wrote:This Cards teams reminds me of the won that won the WS a few years ago.

I didn't find anything wrong w/ the Brewers celebration.
Not the celebration per se...the celebrations at all times during the season. Just a bunch of punks really. Good punks of course.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Diablo25 wrote:I thought the Nyger Morgan thing was embarrassing. What a joke that guy is. Talented ballplayer but if I ran the Brewers I would be embarrassed. I cannot stand how the Brewers carry themselves. They act like a bunch of defensive backs in the NFL. I'll be pulling for the Tigers in the playoffs. Tom Brookens (Tigers coach) is a friend of mine so I gotta pull for him.
Yeah, I'm rooting for the Tigers as well. I hate the Brewers so I'd like to see the Cardinals advance, although it would be nice if they would stop showing the dugout during the broadcast so I don't have to see LaRussa or the big cheater.

Love the TBS high def broadcast, but the ratings for the NLCS are going to reach historic lows.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Leebo33 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:I thought the Nyger Morgan thing was embarrassing. What a joke that guy is. Talented ballplayer but if I ran the Brewers I would be embarrassed. I cannot stand how the Brewers carry themselves. They act like a bunch of defensive backs in the NFL. I'll be pulling for the Tigers in the playoffs. Tom Brookens (Tigers coach) is a friend of mine so I gotta pull for him.
Yeah, I'm rooting for the Tigers as well. I hate the Brewers so I'd like to see the Cardinals advance, although it would be nice if they would stop showing the dugout during the broadcast so I don't have to see LaRussa or the big cheater.

Love the TBS high def broadcast, but the ratings for the NLCS are going to reach historic lows.
how can anyone actually hate Milwaukee. They've never even won anythin

ironic that their only division win in 30+ years, leads to a rematch versus St. Louis. Nice to have baseball centered in the Midwest. A healthy change of pace. Also, happy for the city of Milwaukee

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

vinny-b wrote:how can anyone actually hate Milwaukee. They've never even won anythin
I think I spelled it out above. I have nothing against their fans. I used to live in Wisconsin and played in the Brewers organization for 7 years so I have an idea on their fans. I respect and enjoy them. I'm just not a fan of the NFL celebration mentality their players have after going first the third on a single or completing a secondary lead. Feel free to disagree but they are acting like children. i thnk Morgan actually is a child..or has a chemical imbalance...I'm not kidding on that last one

Larussa quote on Nyger Morgan.
"He's having a good year for them. He's a talented guy. He's close to the edge as far as creating problems and trouble. It takes away from the player that he's been for them with his fuse being so short and actually looking for things to instigate. I hope he gets a clue. It's the truth. He could be the player that he is without instigating."
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I do agree it is cool to see different teams in the playoffs. I don't think FOX is too happy :) Screw them. Its good for baseball.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Diablo25 wrote:I think I spelled it out above. I have nothing against their fans. I used to live in Wisconsin and played in the Brewers organization for 7 years so I have an idea on their fans. I respect and enjoy them. I'm just not a fan of the NFL celebration mentality their players have after going first the third on a single or completing a secondary lead. Feel free to disagree but they are acting like children. i thnk Morgan actually is a child..or has a chemical imbalance...I'm not kidding on that last one.
Diablo: haven't watched too many Milwaukee games recently. However, i think i know what you mean. Of late, the NFL is grading on me for this very reason. Very annoying. And unnecessary.

by the way, did you play with any of the Brewers minor league players from the 1985-1988 time frame? Was able to get to know several of the players. B.J. Surhoff, Dan Plesac, Juan Nieves, Dale Sveum, Mike Felder, Glenn Braggs, Bill Wegman, Mike Birkbeck, Billy Jo Robidoux, etc. Joey Meyer gave me his first baseman's glove. Of all the mentioned players, Chris Bosio was the only ass. The last player remember is Darryl Hamilton. Another VERY cool dude. At the time he was in the AZ instructional

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

A Brewers World Series championship and a Packers Super Bowl win in the same year may be too much for my brain to take.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

With Philly out, the top 8 payrolls in baseball are now eliminated (or never even made the playoffs to begin with). I find that really interesting (and cool).
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

greggsand wrote:With Philly out, the top 8 payrolls in baseball are now eliminated (or never even made the playoffs to begin with). I find that really interesting (and cool).
definitely.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

vinny-b wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:I think I spelled it out above. I have nothing against their fans. I used to live in Wisconsin and played in the Brewers organization for 7 years so I have an idea on their fans. I respect and enjoy them. I'm just not a fan of the NFL celebration mentality their players have after going first the third on a single or completing a secondary lead. Feel free to disagree but they are acting like children. i thnk Morgan actually is a child..or has a chemical imbalance...I'm not kidding on that last one.
Diablo: haven't watched too many Milwaukee games recently. However, i think i know what you mean. Of late, the NFL is grading on me for this very reason. Very annoying. And unnecessary.

by the way, did you play with any of the Brewers minor league players from the 1985-1988 time frame? Was able to get to know several of the players. B.J. Surhoff, Dan Plesac, Juan Nieves, Dale Sveum, Mike Felder, Glenn Braggs, Bill Wegman, Mike Birkbeck, Billy Jo Robidoux, etc. Joey Meyer gave me his first baseman's glove. Of all the mentioned players, Chris Bosio was the only ass. The last player remember is Darryl Hamilton. Another VERY cool dude. At the time he was in the AZ instructional
I was there in the 90's but a number of those guys were still in the organization when I got there. You are right on Hamilton - great guy. He always was cool when he came down to minor league camp. He never big leagued anyone. I had to deal with Surhoff during the strike year in spring training of '95. He was the Brewers players rep. I remember him being very honest with us in telling us about crossing the line to play in "scab" games. Whenever a big league guy came down to minor league camp or came down during the season to rehab they were mostly cool. I played with/against a number of guys on rehab assignments. Matt Williams was probably the coolest. He talked to me for like 30 minutes while shagging during BP the one day. Just came up and started BSing with me. I remember Pat Listach being somewhat of a dick. He was coming off being ROY in '92 so he was feeling good about himself. Maybe he was having a bad day. Billy Spiers was a great dude. He rehabbed with us for like 2 weeks after back surgery and was first class all the way. Hooked us all up with gear, fed us well after the games, etc. If you remember in '92 the Brewers were making a run at the AL East and I remember being the one to tell Spiers that Toronto had acquired David Cone. We were on the bus going to play South Bend (White Sox) when I told him. It took the wind right out of his sails. Francona was the manager of that South Bend team. The Brewers lost the division VERY late in the year that season. Cone was a big part of it.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
snaz16 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Well, looks like the Cardinals season is over before it even starts. Wainwright has a significant elbow injury, most likely requiring Tommy John surgery. :(
Hey Dan,this was your quote to start this thread...pretty amazing,cause I think everyone was with ya. Just goes to show ya..it ain't over till the fat lady sings,,and she's only on the second verse. Gotta admit...didn't see this coming.
Whoa slow down. Might wanna wait till they win something before bringing up old s***. You just jinxed the cards. Whoops.

That said I agree that the brewers should be embarrassed about how they act on the field. That's one thing I'm extremely proud of the braves for...win or lose...always a classy organization. Too bad that doesnt translate to rings.
Or fans that show up to watch games.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Aristo wrote:Or fans that show up to watch games.
True. 15 straight division titles with only one ring...does that to a fanbase I guess. Wish I lived closer. It's still the only major championship any of my teams have in my lifetime, so I'm forever thankful I've got one at least. LOL.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Aristo wrote:Or fans that show up to watch games.
True. 15 straight division titles with only one ring...does that to a fanbase I guess. Wish I lived closer. It's still the only major championship any of my teams have in my lifetime, so I'm forever thankful I've got one at least. LOL.
Atlanta has never been a very good baseball town. Luckily Ted Turner jumped in early on the cable side, which allowed the team to still make enough money to support a class organization.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

I'm having a great time watching Brewers baseball in October. I can still feel the sting of 1982. Even though I was only 12 at the time, I still remember watching the games on television.

It's a strange feeling. Usually this time of year is 100% Packers. I really want them to beat the Cardinals. They're the Cardinals. I grew up hating them :) I'm an old school type fan, so I can where people dislike some of the Brewers antics. Aside from Morgan though, it's all in good fun. If you have issues with beast mode (which has been overdone lately), you should have issues with the claw and whatever that snakebite thing is the Diamondbacks were doing. I'd rather none of them did these things, but it's not even close to the celebrations orchestrated by NFL an NBA players.

Funny how my kids don't have any grasp on how special this is. They may sit down and watch parts of the games with me, but they have no idea how rare this is.

I'm enjoying the ride, no matter where it ends. Go Brewers!
-Matt

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I just wish Prince Fielder would go into "beast mode" and eat Nyjer Morgan. :wink:

Wander if they will have that stadium completely open again tonight. I couldn't believe the balls that Freese and Betancourt hit went out.

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

I just like watching that chick who has been sitting in the first row right behind the plate in Milwaukee. Go Brewers!

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

matthewk wrote:I'm having a great time watching Brewers baseball in October. I can still feel the sting of 1982. Even though I was only 12 at the time, I still remember watching the games on television.

It's a strange feeling. Usually this time of year is 100% Packers. I really want them to beat the Cardinals. They're the Cardinals. I grew up hating them :) I'm an old school type fan, so I can where people dislike some of the Brewers antics. Aside from Morgan though, it's all in good fun. If you have issues with beast mode (which has been overdone lately), you should have issues with the claw and whatever that snakebite thing is the Diamondbacks were doing. I'd rather none of them did these things, but it's not even close to the celebrations orchestrated by NFL an NBA players.

Funny how my kids don't have any grasp on how special this is. They may sit down and watch parts of the games with me, but they have no idea how rare this is.

I'm enjoying the ride, no matter where it ends. Go Brewers!
Well, I got the impression that Arizona was mocking the Brewers. Maybe I'm wrong. Cards fans have been annoyed by the Brewers BS ever since they started the whole untucking their shirts thing. I'd have to think that the '82 Brewers would think these guys are bunch of dipshits. I don't think Gorman Thomas ever needed to go into Beast Mode.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

lexbur wrote:I just like watching that chick who has been sitting in the first row right behind the plate in Milwaukee. Go Brewers!
She's been there for most games this season. Friday night they zoomed in on Counsell in the on deck circle while she was "adjusting" things. HD is great. :D
-Matt

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

What the hell is the gesture Braun does with his belt? Jeez, the guy has to go through a whole mime show every time he gets a hit. Unfortunately, he gets to do it a lot.