Madden NFL 12

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Madden NFL 12

Post by Lancer »

I agree Rodster about M10. I still think for the next gen that's the best Madden. 12 is close though, very close, but 10 was just plain enjoyable to play.

I predicted ppl would get sick of Gus Johnson fast. I think everyone had high hopes that anything would be better than the radio announcer but it went the other way. I too didn't mind the radio announcer. Gus Johnson doesn't even do NFL any longer and personally I didnt know what the big hype about him was about.

There's so many other things to play nowadays that I don't even have Madden on my to play list. It's a good game this year, but I still don't get that 'play it one more time' feeling I got with M10.

It sucks that we get one exceptional football game every 5 years from EA.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I'm using my beloved Redskins in Danimal's DSP online franchise, so I don't have any advantages throwing the deep ball despite a couple of guys who can get behind the defense, but I don't find anything wrong with the deep ball to the outside, or down the sidelines.

Just from guessing, I'd say it's likely you are doing both, holding the ball too long and holding the button for too long as well. The few times I've had success over the top to the outside it's been thanks to me launching the ball almost right away, as my receiver is maybe barely ten yards down field if that. As soon as I see the safety is out of it, and my guy has a chance to run clean, I let it go and do so with the quickest of taps to allow for the biggest loft, and those are the times I've gotten Moss or Armstrong running past his defender and under the ball. I certainly notice if I'm late with the ball it will be under thrown, that is my QBs can't out throw the speedsters. Plus, there's nothing wrong with the occasional jump ball. As someone who watches the real life NFL religiously, I see deep balls become jump balls all the time, and most often the advantage is to the receiver who is usually bigger and can jump better than the guy covering him, such as, say Dez Bryant or Larry Fitzgerald, or Johsnon up in Detroit, or ... you get the idea. NFL QBs always strive to give their guys a chance to make a play, as they say, when they see one on one situations.

Much harder to do if not impossible at least for me is throwing that back shoulder fade or the deliberately under thrown deep ball to let the receiver react to the ball more quickly than the defense can. That's something that I see a lot in the real NFL but just don't see in Madden.

I'd also chime in and say I think 12 is way better than 10. It's better balanced especially against the CPU, the run game is massively better due to much better blocking systems, and more. One thing among many that continues to bug me about Madden, though, is that while your receivers have some nice plant-foot animations for when they make their cut on their route, the defenders can sort of slide and shift and change direction without losing any speed, and thus it can be very hard to tell if your guy is actually going to be coming free on a pass route. What will look like a great opportunity for a open pass can be hit or miss due to this. Sometimes, your guy will do that burst of speed slide and go get the ball, other times the QB will throw it a little behind and the defender will already be there as your guy has taken too much time doing the realistic jab step animation.

But for the most part I think this is the best Madden vs CPU yet and I'm having a lot of fun in our DSPFL even though almost all the games are against the CPU.

tmdba37
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by tmdba37 »

Zeppo wrote:. . .

I'd also chime in and say I think 12 is way better than 10. It's better balanced especially against the CPU, the run game is massively better due to much better blocking systems, and more. One thing among many that continues to bug me about Madden, though, is that while your receivers have some nice plant-foot animations for when they make their cut on their route, the defenders can sort of slide and shift and change direction without losing any speed, and thus it can be very hard to tell if your guy is actually going to be coming free on a pass route. What will look like a great opportunity for a open pass can be hit or miss due to this. Sometimes, your guy will do that burst of speed slide and go get the ball, other times the QB will throw it a little behind and the defender will already be there as your guy has taken too much time doing the realistic jab step animation.

But for the most part I think this is the best Madden vs CPU yet and I'm having a lot of fun in our DSPFL even though almost all the games are against the CPU.
I am in complete agreement with Zep on this on his assessment of Madden 12

I think all you need to do is look at the crazy number of Human losses to the CPU in the DSP Online Franchise to realize how much more balanced M12 is than M10. It was a small miracle for anyone to lose to the CPU in our M10 Franchise, but no game against the CPU--especially on the road--is a gimme in this year's Madden.

It's really the first Madden game ever where I personally dread falling behind by two scores to the CPU because it generally has the capability to bury you whereas in previous editions I found that I wanted to fall behind by two or three scores to the computer just for the extra challenge. . .

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

Thanks for the tips. I have today and tomorrow off so I am going to try to get some heavy Madden in. I think I'll hit the practice field too and see if I can work on the deep ball.

In the past, I also found the play versus the CPU quite unsatisfying but this year it gives you a good game. I had started my Raider season off with a couple of wins and thought maybe I needed to bump up the difficulty, I then went to Houston and got my ass handed to me. Schaub just picked me apart and I could not stop them losing 38 to 10. Whatever I tried defensively they just countered. Did not feel like they were cheating though, I just could not figure them out.

Lastly, I really enjoy the run game. Outside runs use to be my out when I needed a first down but not this year. You need the right call against the right defense this year for the play to succeed. I love running McFadden off tackle and finding the holes. There are some nice animations and breaking tackles that just look spot on.

eman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by eman »

Currently I'm 9-3 in my offline Redskins franchise. I'm playing /default sliders on All-Pro.

I won the first two games with amazing comebacks. I then fell to 2-2 with back to back losses to Dallas in OT and the Cards on a fluke fumble late in the game. I then won a few close games (I have thrown a ton of picks but my defense and special teams are stellar).

I find attacking the computer in the middle of the field the easiest. Cooley is having a huge year. My RB is solid. Grossman had 14 int's to 2 TD's. I finally pulled him two weeks ago for Beck and he's doing much better. I think the hot/cold was really impacting Grossman. He was cold and any bad pass seemed to get picked off.

I can't explain it, but after starting the season with alot of low scoring games, I finally had a huge offensive day against the Seahawks and beat them 45-10.

I killed the commentary 2 games in - it was flat out dreadful. I find myself doing the commentary. Honestly, EA shows zero imagination here. Pathetic. At this point I just wish we had good crowd noise and on-the-field sound effects. The lack of importing my own music is a letdown too. The included music doesn't do it for me.

Overall I'm enjoying my frachise, but the presentation is stale and like I said before - EA shows zero creativity. Next year I want a guest appearance from Summerall and Madden or something. I want someone to talk about standings and maybe reference something that has ocurred in past games in my franchise.
Gamer Tag - mmeh97
Owner in the DSP Official League - Eagles

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

ya don't get me wrong, M12 is really a good game, just saying these days with so many games out post Sept it's hard to find time to keep playing it, at least for me.

That's cool you guys are doing an online franchise. You guys planning to do another one soon?

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Lancer wrote:
That's cool you guys are doing an online franchise. You guys planning to do another one soon?
Well it being an online franchise, it can go on and on for at least 30 seasons, so as long as there are people willing to play in it, it should keep going on. Danimal hooked up with this 'MyLeagueManager' website that should, if they keep their s*** together, deal with the free agent situation and draft and so on, which since there's no built in CPU logic for online franchise is a real problem once you hit the offseason.

Maybe Dan will chime in here, but I don't see any reason new guys can't jump into the franchise as we go along. If you'd rather wait until the offseason, which shouldn't be too far away now, that could work too. Let's see what Dan has to say about it.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Picked up madden for the first time in a few years. I've read about the commentary but good grief.. it's beyond bad. I turned it off on the second possession of my first game. I can't believe how good it is. Maybe we've all been spoiled with other titles such as Fifa (offers two commentary teams to chose from) MLB The Show and NBA2k..
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Yes we should be done in a few weeks with the first season.

Then I'll see if anyone else wants in. Part of the reason this season went fast is a lot of cpu games and for once (for most of us) it is possible to lose to the cpu.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

cool, thanks guys, I'll keep an eye out.
FifaInspected wrote:Picked up madden for the first time in a few years. I've read about the commentary but good grief.. it's beyond bad. I turned it off on the second possession of my first game. I can't believe how good it is. Maybe we've all been spoiled with other titles such as Fifa (offers two commentary teams to chose from) MLB The Show and NBA2k..

You got that right. I am amazed at the commentary in FIFA. I don't know much about EPL teams, but it's really cool how the annocers talk about the history of the stadium or how this club is always financially responsible etc. ..

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Lancer wrote:cool, thanks guys, I'll keep an eye out.
FifaInspected wrote:Picked up madden for the first time in a few years. I've read about the commentary but good grief.. it's beyond bad. I turned it off on the second possession of my first game. I can't believe how good it is. Maybe we've all been spoiled with other titles such as Fifa (offers two commentary teams to chose from) MLB The Show and NBA2k..

You got that right. I am amazed at the commentary in FIFA. I don't know much about EPL teams, but it's really cool how the annocers talk about the history of the stadium or how this club is always financially responsible etc. ..

The simple fact that you can choose between two commentary teams in Fifa is way above avg.

(also.. just re-read my original post and have no idea where the "I can't believe how good it is" came from. Coffee shortage maybe or BF3 related sleep deprivation ;)
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

wow I didn't even know you could choose between announcing teams in FIFA. Any difference between the two groups? I tried Spanish commentary once and I thought that was good too. I like how they do the long GOL when you score.

As for madden, the crowd noise and other sounds are actually pretty good this year. It's just that they get drowned out by the commentary. But with the commentary off, all the extra sounds make the game really fun to play. For example, you barely hear Hail to the Redskins or Bear Down w/ the commentary on, but with it off, you hear the song being sung by the crowd. Really cool!

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Lancer wrote:wow I didn't even know you could choose between announcing teams in FIFA. Any difference between the two groups? I tried Spanish commentary once and I thought that was good too. I like how they do the long GOL when you score.

As for madden, the crowd noise and other sounds are actually pretty good this year. It's just that they get drowned out by the commentary. But with the commentary off, all the extra sounds make the game really fun to play. For example, you barely hear Hail to the Redskins or Bear Down w/ the commentary on, but with it off, you hear the song being sung by the crowd. Really cool!

Yes. It's two completely different people in english.

FIFA 12 will also feature two commentary teams for the first time, with Clive Tyldesley and Andy Townsend providing the analysis on tournament matches, picking up where they left on 2010 FIFA World Cup with 10,000 new lines of dialogue and match analysis. You'll be able to switch commentary teams to suit your preference during any match too.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Is it true that Frye's has Madden 12 this week for $28?

If so, it will be tempting.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

pigpen81 wrote:Is it true that Frye's has Madden 12 this week for $28?

If so, it will be tempting.

ya i posted it in the other BF DEALS Thread, it has tons of games for $28 bucks until Thursday -
Inuyasha wrote:Frys still has some deals now. Was just there and it says they're good till Thursday. Not sure if it's in store only

$29.98
Battlefield 3
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Crysis 2
Dance Central
Dance Central 2
Disney Universe
FIFA Soccer '12
Forza Motorsport 4
Gears of War 3
Kinect Sports
Kinect Sports: Season 2
L.A. Noire
Madden NFL '12
Need for Speed: The Run

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Amazon has Football Manager 2012 for $29.95 ($10 off) I've been contemplating all day.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

We just finished our first season with Zeppo winning the big game. Over the next 2 weeks we will progress into the off season and draft. If anyone else is interested in joining then please let me know via PM by Friday.

Thanks
Dan
Follow Me on:

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

PM Sent

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I stopped reading here. :P

"When I arrived at Coach Madden's studio I was told that things were running a little late. As it turns out, things often run late when Coach gets briefed on the next Madden title. Coach is understandably particular about the game that bears his name; his attention to detail and commitment to accuracy are large parts of what make Madden the game it is. No one minded running long. Coach is, by all accounts, spellbinding on the subject of football. I say "by all accounts" because I wasn't allowed into that part of the meeting, which was fine: I probably wouldn't want me there either."

Um where was "Coach" when EA was turning out Madden s*** football year after year? :)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote: I stopped reading here. :P

"When I arrived at Coach Madden's studio I was told that things were running a little late. As it turns out, things often run late when Coach gets briefed on the next Madden title. Coach is understandably particular about the game that bears his name; his attention to detail and commitment to accuracy are large parts of what make Madden the game it is. No one minded running long. Coach is, by all accounts, spellbinding on the subject of football. I say "by all accounts" because I wasn't allowed into that part of the meeting, which was fine: I probably wouldn't want me there either."

Um where was "Coach" when EA was turning out Madden s*** football year after year? :)
Easy it's a fluff piece. You expect some guy to go into madden's place and go "how can you name be on a game that doesn't have working defensive PI"
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

BTW this was my favorite part.
One Madden dev told me that he was irked to find Madden NFL 12's Community feature — which allows players to play online exclusively with other players who prefer, say, five-minute quarters — ignored by reviewers
It was ignored because it was not needed.
Follow Me on:

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

From the ghosts of Madden past I just ordered this since I read it was the best PS3 Madden. I have had to resort to playing my sports games on the PS3 lately (MLB 16 and now Madden) since one boy is on the Xbox and the other is on the PS4.

Once I play I will post my impressions.

At least I can play as the Chargers in San Diego ;)