OT: The Wire

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: The Wire

Post by greggsand »

If anyone hasn't seen The Wire (the best show in TV history IMO):

http://www.thewrap.com/television/colum ... ries-16198

It's running again on DTV 101.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: The Wire

Post by wco81 »

It's terrific and can right be compared to something Zola might have written -- if he had lived to see inner-city Baltimore in the 21st century, that is.

But very few moments of humor.

Meanwhile I happened to remember this exchange from Pine Barrens:
Tony: (on the phone) He was with the Interior Ministry. Guy's like a Russian green beret. He can not come back and tell this story. You understand?
Paulie: I hear you.
(hangs up phone)
Paulie: You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator.
Christopher: Interior decorator? His apartment looked like s***.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I never saw it, so I set a season pass for it on the 101 channel. Will they show the whole series?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Like Gregg, I can't recommend "The Wire" enough. Hopefully DTV 101 is showing all five seasons for you cats who missed the original run on HBO.

Finest TV series of all time.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Omar is the King, I tell you! One of my all-time favorite TV characters.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

fsquid wrote:I never saw it, so I set a season pass for it on the 101 channel. Will they show the whole series?
You will not regret it. And yes, they are showing all 5 season with no commercial, unedited, and in HD!

I just finished the series on DVD about 2 weeks ago, & I ready to go around again.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Show wasn't in HD. In fact Simon boasted about SD being more fitting to the show.

So they will probably stretch it and upscale it, which could be ugly.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

wco81 wrote:Show wasn't in HD. In fact Simon boasted about SD being more fitting to the show.

So they will probably stretch it and upscale it, which could be ugly.
It actually looked pretty good. It's not stretched. I think they up-converted from the original 16x9 transfers (but I could wrong). I wish they would go back to the film & re-xfer for a blu-ray release.

So this today, pretty well done (no real spoilers of any sort & NSFW):

"Toy Wire" (toy story & wire mash-up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0RNhQaxUyw

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

I bought the dvd set last year for fairly cheap after someone recommended it to me. Once I started a season I literally had to keep watching. I killed a season a day for the first few seasons. The story drew me in like few shows or movies have ever done. Easily one of the best tv shows/movies ever made. One word of note: it is actually very important to watch the seasons sequentially. Some series do not require that, but in the case of The Wire so much is built upon previous seasons that it would be hard to appreciate a lot of the main characters and situations without sequential viewing. Anyone who has not seen The Wire certainly needs to give it a look.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

RobVarak wrote:Omar is the King, I tell you! One of my all-time favorite TV characters.
There is no question about that. Omar is funny, a complete badass when he needs to be, principled in a twisted way at times, wholly likable, and just downright cool as hell.

Although Marlo was in no way likable, he was brilliantly played by Jamie Hector. I think Marlo may be the most unsettling character I've seen in a TV show. Virtually all of the actors did a great job, but Hector and Michael Williams (Omar) stood out the most to me.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

toonarmy wrote:
RobVarak wrote: Although Marlo was in no way likable, he was brilliantly played by Jamie Hector. I think Marlo may be the most unsettling character I've seen in a TV show. Virtually all of the actors did a great job, but Hector and Michael Williams (Omar) stood out the most to me.
A couple times every year my job takes me past a huge store that sells rims. I think of Marlo every time. LOL

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I thought this would have been a blast (if not terrifying - Omar point a gun at me!)

Play paintball with the cast of The Wire this Saturday
by Sean O'Neal June 8, 2010

It gives us warm, fuzzy feelings to imagine kids whiling away the summer days playing an updated version of “Cops and Robbers” based on The Wire—bingeing on pretend Jameson, creating miniature Hamsterdams in the park, fighting over who gets to be Omar—but what about us grown-ups? Well, if you live in New York, you could be among the lucky few who gets to play The Wire: Paintball Edition: Jamie Hector (Marlo) has organized a paintball tournament for this Saturday to benefit his non-profit youth organization Moving Mountains, pitting fellow cast members against each other as “The Streets Vs. The Law”—including Michael K. Williams (Omar), Sonia Sohn (Kima), Snoop Pearson, Anwan Glover (Slim Charles), and more. Those who have always dreamed of popping a paint-cap in Omar or Snoop’s ass without fear of violent retribution can sign up for one of three team packages ranging from $750 to $2500, the latter of which includes a special meet-and-greet. The game’s out there, and it’s play or get played—that simple

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Tony Bourdain did an episode of "No Reservations" in Balitmore, and he included lunch with the actress who plays Snoop. Creepy.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The IZOD IndyCar Series races next year in Baltimore for the first time. If I work the race, a part of me wants to bring Kevlar and do a walking tour of the areas where "The Wire" was filmed.

I fully expect to see Bunny standing proudly over one of the corners of his creation, "Hamsterdam." :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425