OT: Wash DC Trip - Who's been?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Wash DC Trip - Who's been?

Post by JackB1 »

Me and the wife are planning a Wash DC trip.
Problem is we will only be there 4 days, so I would
love to hear from those of you that have been there.
What are some of the "must see" things there?

thanks

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Smithsonian Museum - though it's been quite awhile since I was there and there have been tremendous changes since I was there - 1991.

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Dougb is right, the Smithsonian is number 1. I used to live in the DC area and that was a place to go back to more than once.

In 4 days, you pretty much want to stick to the obvious stuff...Lincoln, Veitnam, WW2 on the mall (don't waste your time at the Washington Memorial. Arlington Cemetery (JFK, RFK), and the Holocaust museum if you want to be depressed. The Capitol if you want to be more depressed ;-)

Great Irish pub near the Federal Reserve building. Good food in 17th/Connecticut NW area (businesses).
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Smithsonian is utterly massive, way too big to be seen in only 4 days. I love the Air & Space Museum, spent more time there as a kid than any other museum. I love the new Museum of the American Indian as well. The Museum of American History has tons of great kitschy cultural stuff (the set of M*A*S*H, Julia Childs's kitchen, etc), but also has incredible train locomotives and other industrial stuff down below. The two Museums of Art are very good as well, as is the National Portrait Gallery (although that is not on the Mall but is closer to Chinatown, near the Verizon Center where the Caps and the Bullets, er, Wizards, play).

The National Archives are a great place to visit, so you can view the Declaration of Independence, and the original pages of the Constitution of the United States.

As to the memorials, my personal favorite is the newest: the FDR Memorial. It is utterly unique among memorials, including water and numerous sculptures in a sort of walk-through park format. It's across the Tidal Basin from the Jefferson Memorial. It's really a must-see in my opinion, as it, unique among the memorials, utilizes the sound of the water as well as light and sculpture and words to create a magnificent effect.

There's a ton of really good international food options if you want some crazy stuff. I don't really remember any names, but you can get good versions just about any national food you can imagine, somewhere in DC.

And that's just the touristy stuff. Nationals Park is very nice, right near Capitol Hill, and almost always pretty empty :P , if you want to see a ballgame.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

I will be there in 2 weeks with my 8th graders and will be my 3rd trip.

Besides all the awesome monuments, I would take the time to visit Mt. Vernon, the home of George Washing ton, as it is not that far away.

I would also go to Arlington National Cemetery, and if you can, visit Annapolis and take a tour of the Naval Academy. Annapolis is a nice town to stroll through.

If you do visit Mt. Vernon, check out Alexandria as it is a pretty cool town to walk through as well.

And if you have more time, take the 2 hour drive and visit Gettysburg.....a MUST!

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I've only been to DC for one day back when my mother visited in 2003 so I haven't seen much, but the Smithsonian was awesome.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

If time permits and the Nats are in town,you might want to take in a ballgame at thier new park,since they are competitive.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Smithsonian, Air & Space Museum and Vietnam "wall" are must-sees.

Have fun!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Air and Space Museum. There are 2 - one in downtown DC and the "annex" out at Dulles. I haven't been to the Dulles location (really want to), but it would be worth it with the Shuttle Enterprise, the Enola Gay, an SR-71 and a Concorde.

Smithsonian is awesome. I went to the FBI HQ when I was in junior high. Don't know if you can still tour that but it was cool.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Depending on how far out your trip is...if you contact your Senator's office or Congressman, they can put you on a list to get into the White House, Supreme Court and tours of the Capital.

I would suggest on traveling smart because in DC there is just so much to see. I would add the FDR memorial, like Zeppo said, because it is one of the better monuments in DC. Because it is not in a prime location most skip it. It's just a short walk from Lincoln. However I would skip Lincoln in the day and visit it in the night, it will free up some daylight time but also Lincoln is the most impressive in the night. And it will give you some awesome views towards the mall. Not too mention the Korean and Vietnam memorials are surreal at night.

And make your home base near a metrostation but also near a place where a lot of DC'ers live. That way when you get back to your hotel, you can take a stroll and find shops and restaurants without losing too much time.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

There were a few things I had not seen when I went a couple of years back. First, I went to the Vietnam Memorial. If you don't have someone you know, then pick a last name and do a search. I was fortunate not to have lost any friends or family, but I searched on "Parsons", picked a soldier and found him on the wall and said a prayer.

The Korean War Memorial is close as well and worth a visit. Hell, it all is worth a visit, but be sure to check out the Lincoln Memorial and the Vietnam Memorial and then head toward the Smithsonian. It is a bit of a walk, but worth the time and effort.

If you are a reader or a Shakespeare fan, the Folger Library has some incredible stuff on display. e

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Library of Congress looks impressive for a quick look.

Had a pretty good guided tour of the Capitol a couple of years ago, stories about how Jefferson's library was the basis of the Library of Congress and other trivia about the Rotunda.

I happened upon the FDR Memorial by accident. Didn't even know it existed because my two trips to DC had been more than 20 years apart. Interesting inscriptions of quotes attributed to FDR. Some of it seems to be talking about today.

I went in December and Congress wasn't in session so the streets right around it (between the metro station and the building) were all very quiet.

What is striking is all the anti-terrorist measures for parking lots of various buildings, many of them seeming to be low-priority as potential targets. IIRC things like some agricultural agency and other lower-profile agencies. They put in these steel ramps which could be raised to prevent cars from entering.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas! You guys are a wealth of information :) I have always wanted to go to DC, but I usually prefer trips where I am doing some "activities" rather than just "sightseeing" (ADD) but I guess DC is mostly sightseeing.

Sounds like the Smithsonian is a must see. Nearly everyone mentioned it.
Also, some things that can be done at night is great too. Thanks again for all the great suggestions!

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

I lived down there for a few years...if you can do it, check out the monuments and the mall at nighttime when the sun goes down and they are lit up...
Also, it's worth the 30-40 minute trek to visit G. Washington's home in Mount Vernon.

Rick

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

Been there plenty of times myself as my best bud lives in the area..

Been to the usual spots -- I am a fan of the American History, Natural History, and the Air and Space museums... actually have been to the annex in Dulles -- the middle of NOWHERE btw, but well worth the trip= actually liked it better than the one in DC.. nowhere else can you go up to the tower "observation" deck and take in a 747 on finals..

The Wall is also a must see as well, as also the new WW2 monument..

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

I'm glad to see everyone repping for the FDR memorial; it opened when I lived there and I was really struck by it, and am glad to see others were too. That and the Jefferson are my favorite things in DC that aren't the Smithsonian. As for something more off the beaten path, the Arboretum is pretty cool, especially the bonsai collection.

And if you're willing to leave the city for a drive, I can't recommend the National Aquarium in Baltimore highly enough. I know the aquarium in Atlanta is newer, but I used to work at the one in Baltimore so I'm biased. :)

However, you won't exhaust options just in DC in four days or probably even four weeks. It's amazing how much there is to see, even if you don't want to do the political stuff like touring the White House or the Court or whatever.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

The FDR memorial is really cool, and I also like the Jefferson Memorial as well. If you have a car and a little time, the Theodore Roosevelt Island memorial is also pretty awesome -- it's a small island in the Potomac, and a very serene, pastoral break from DC.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

EZSnappin wrote:It's amazing how much there is to see, even if you don't want to do the political stuff like touring the White House or the Court or whatever.
I don't think there's anything political about seeing the White House, Capital or the Supreme Court. Regardless of the people sitting in those seats, these buildings are the home to some of the most important people and decisions and it's really awe-inspriring to see where decisions get made.

Seeing for example, the old Supreme Court chambers, underneath the Capital was amazing and put into perspective how the early court worked.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

JRod wrote:
I don't think there's anything political about seeing the White House, Capital or the Supreme Court. Regardless of the people sitting in those seats, these buildings are the home to some of the most important people and decisions and it's really awe-inspriring to see where decisions get made.
totally agree.

We got a pass to do a Capital tour and am hoping we can snag a White House tour as well.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

JackB1 wrote:
JRod wrote:
totally agree.

We got a pass to do a Capital tour and am hoping we can snag a White House tour as well.
Wow, didn't expect that reaction. It was not intended to imply partisanship, only the definition of pertaining to government; since the Smithsonian and the monuments are also governmental but not political (as in, not about policy or used in governance) I wanted to differentiate between the two.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Leaving for my DC trip tommorow.

One more question......

Since it's been so friggin hot, we are trying to do as much as night as possible. Does anyone know what attractions are good to do at night?

Thanks again to everyone who offered ideas. I will report back after the trip.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

Both the Lincoln and Jefferson are beautiful at night. I'm not sure which stuff will be open so definitely check hours. If it's a brutally hot day, going from museum to museum around the mall isn't bad - some of the buildings are connected underground, and as long as you don't criss-cross through the center too often the distance between isn't far.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

F*ck, Jack: You live in the sweatshop of major American cities, Hot'lanta. How can D.C. be any more infernal? :)

Or did you and the Mrs. move to Saskatoon a few months back? :)

Have a good trip.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

pk500 wrote:F*ck, Jack: You live in the sweatshop of major American cities, Hot'lanta. How can D.C. be any more infernal? :)

Or did you and the Mrs. move to Saskatoon a few months back? :)

Have a good trip.
Atlanta has been brutal so far since June. I've been playing tennis in 95+ temps and it wears you out.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Jack, you are dead to me if you don't visit Arlington and the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier. One of the most impressive things you will ever see.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25