It's NHL 2010 Playoffs Folks

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

10spro wrote:
LAking wrote:
10spro wrote:Two minutes before that play Burrows gets a high stick from Smyth but gets no call. Regardless, great game, VAN has to be sharper executing their chances.

I thought you Canadians knew all there is to know about hockey? It was the correct call. You could even argue that Burrows wasn't even touched and faked it, hence why Smyth immediately raised his arms after the "contact". The refs were good last tonight, Nucks fans are just looking for excuses.
Excuses my ass, I for one will be the first one to acknowledge that we need to cut back on our undisciplinary play and go for the kill when the opportunity presents. And there lots in the 1st period where we could have buried the Kings for good. But they didn't, the rest is history.

The refs have a tough job night in and out, and I hate to see a game being controlled by them. The 1st game we had Kopitar's entire stick stuck in Sedin's visor, and that was uncalled. It's in front for everyone to see, what rule do I need to read that THAT, was a highstick?

But the call that irks me the most is the too many men last night. Bieksa is clearly cut, goes to the bench for help but the puck touches him incidentally so the linesmen call it, not the refs but they have to call it because their colleagues' arm is up.

It's only 2 games, we need fair games, fair calls. The series has been good so far.
It doesn't matter if he's cut, it doesn't matter if it's incidental, it doesn't matter if it's OT, it's an AU-TO-MA-TIC call. It's the linesmen's JOB to call that, it's in the rule book. Hrudey even pointed out SEVEN guys on the ice not including Luongo on that play. It was a sloppy change and Scuderi took advantage of it by flinging the puck in that direction.

Do we really want to go back and forth on calls and non calls? That's sports. Every team gets away with stuff throughout a game, but as a fan your bias only lets you see what you want to see. I don't want to get into a pissing match about who got screwed more by the refs but just to give an example i'll mention one thing. Rob Scuderi, one of the Sedin's sticks, delay of game. Ring any bells?
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

LAking wrote: It doesn't matter if he's cut, it doesn't matter if it's incidental, it doesn't matter if it's OT, it's an AU-TO-MA-TIC call. It's the linesmen's JOB to call that, it's in the rule book. Hrudey even pointed out SEVEN guys on the ice not including Luongo on that play. It was a sloppy change and Scuderi took advantage of it by flinging the puck in that direction.

Do we really want to go back and forth on calls and non calls? That's sports. Every team gets away with stuff throughout a game, but as a fan your bias only lets you see what you want to see. I don't want to get into a pissing match about who got screwed more by the refs but just to give an example i'll mention one thing. Rob Scuderi, one of the Sedin's sticks, delay of game. Ring any bells?
No doubt every team throughout the playoffs will get a lousy call here and there, it's the nature of the sport, the game is fast and as you said each fan will see their bias as they see fit. But rules are rules and in my view it was bad call. The linesman can make his calls, but ultimately the two refs are the ones that make the final decision. Bob Mackenzie thought so and so did Grapes and Ron Maclean, a zebra himself.

Rule 74.1: “If in the course of a substitution either the player(s) entering the play or the player(s) retiring is struck by the puck accidentally, the play will not be stopped and no penalty will be called.”

In fact, TSN showed how the rule was applied on a DET-PHO game when Lidstrom touches the puck while he's still on the bench with seven men on the ice, and then the puck hits Bertuzzi while he's getting on the bench, which is two minors and they didn't even get called for it.

Bieksa was within 5 feet. The puck touched him and it wasn't intentional on his part, as a matter of fact he tried to avoid it. And I only mentioned that he was hurting because he was clearly looking for help while getting off the ice. The rule states that in a case like this a penalty should not be called.

But it was. No one is crying over spilled milk here, no one is looking for excuses as you may have suggested. Consequently the Kings' PP converted and we're back at game 3.

There's been some missed calls no doubt on both sides, like the one when Henrik wins a third period race to prevent an icing but the refs don't see it that way. Dogged tired he barely makes it to the bench. Or a holding call on P. Demitra, when it's abundantly obvious to most Canuck fans that the Slovak who shone so brightly at the Olympics is having trouble holding on to anything.

So it's no just one call, but when it keeps adding up and the penalties being called are so lopsided, you start wondering.

But hey, it's the playoffs alright. People are passionate over their team. And what I am trying to say is that I would just hate to see a bad call affect the result of this series which has been great to watch especially that third period of non stop action...or any series in fact.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Now thats the series we all expected. The Caps are making road kill out of a so very lost Hab team.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Our PK continues to suck air, on a positive side...just keep hitting boys.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am not going to talk about the zebras anymore, because it doesn't matter anymore at this point. Another bullsh*t call but at least I don't think it was a factor in deciding the final outcome of the game, but it would have been a huge momentum swing in the game.

But at least I can say that if VAN is not capable of killing any PP's by the opponent, they're not going to go anywhere fast. Sure they miss R. Johnson dearly, but to give a 50%+ success rate to LA is just plain pathetic.

Luongo needs to be better too, he gave some juicy rebounds and while he didn't get much help on the PK, he should have had the fourth goal.

And while the Canucks can't kill any penalties, they're also lousy at their own PP. They have no problems scoring 5 on 5 but they can't convert with a man advantage. Go figure.

For game 4, the recipe is pretty simple. Keep hitting, keep playing 5 on 5 hockey, got to stay up on 2nd periods and just stay out of the f*cking penalty box.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Great battle between Rask and Miller as BOS took the thriller in double OT.

'Nucks are trailing after one after yet another PP by the Kings. They're playing tentatively, I don't see their physical game because they're afraid to make a mistake since their PK suck, and have no confidence whatsoever playing on the road.

They have to pick it up for the next 40 minutes.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Get a fork ready for the Sabres. They're done.

Oilers were eliminated by Christmas. Sabres are toast. So who the hell am I going to root for in the playoffs once Buffalo is eliminated?

I'm leaning toward L.A. Three former Oiler favorites of mine on that team -- Smyth, Stoll and Greene. Plus captain Dustin Brown grew up in Ithaca, about 45 miles from where I live.

Miller's stretching arm save on Satan in the first OT was ridiculous last night. You must feel for Miller. He can't carry the Sabres by himself.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

10spro wrote: They have to pick it up for the next 40 minutes.
***SPOILER***

They do. :D

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

lexbur wrote:
10spro wrote: They have to pick it up for the next 40 minutes.
***SPOILER***

They do. :D
They had to. Another miracle comeback in the third, the Twins and Luongo came through. Louie's huge glove save on Handzus was the turning point, it gave them life.

Special teams is still a great concern however, LA has an unbelievable 60% success rate. VAN's top guys raised their game a notch but I am still paging for A. Burrows. He might be hurt and coach AV separating him from the Twins payed off.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The BUF-BOS game was great to watch. End to end rushes, two keepers that were standing on their heads and to end the game with a too many men penalty is a heartbreaker for BUF fans.

Good news for BOS fans, M. Savard started to skate.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

If the Blackhawks don't start dumping and chasing tonight they are going to find themselves down 3-1 after the game. It's a shame that they have more talent and skill on the team but Coach Q doesn't want to adapt their style of play against the Preds. The Preds are very good at what they do (clogging the neutral zone) yet the Hawks continue to try and carry the puck through the neutral zone. Dump it opposite corner, go and out-physical them along the boards, gain possession of the puck, and then start to cycle it. If the Hawks would just start to do this I don't think the Preds can hang with them.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

ScoopBrady wrote:If the Blackhawks don't start dumping and chasing tonight they are going to find themselves down 3-1 after the game. It's a shame that they have more talent and skill on the team but Coach Q doesn't want to adapt their style of play against the Preds. The Preds are very good at what they do (clogging the neutral zone) yet the Hawks continue to try and carry the puck through the neutral zone. Dump it opposite corner, go and out-physical them along the boards, gain possession of the puck, and then start to cycle it. If the Hawks would just start to do this I don't think the Preds can hang with them.
I agree Scoop.

You have to get down and dirty with this team. If and when you get a two goal lead then you can get them to play your style of hockey.

I thought they were just out worked in the last game. Not that the Hawks were not trying but that the Preds were trying harder.

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

pk500 wrote:Get a fork ready for the Sabres. They're done.

Oilers were eliminated by Christmas. Sabres are toast. So who the hell am I going to root for in the playoffs once Buffalo is eliminated?

I'm leaning toward L.A. Three former Oiler favorites of mine on that team -- Smyth, Stoll and Greene. Plus captain Dustin Brown grew up in Ithaca, about 45 miles from where I live.

Miller's stretching arm save on Satan in the first OT was ridiculous last night. You must feel for Miller. He can't carry the Sabres by himself.
Miller has carried them a lot this year, but not last night. He made some sick saves (and so did Rask), but the game tying goal was weak--Miller should have stopped it and the game should have never went to OT. The OT winner was also weak. He came too far out to challenge the shooter and made it easy for the guy to pass to Satan who had a wide open net.

The team played their best game of the year last night and didn't deserve to lose. Some questionable calls went against them and Conolly hit a laser that went off the inside of the post in OT, but I won't complain as a Sabre fan--every game of the series has been great hockey.

I'd love to seem them win game 5 and go back to Boston for one more shot at a road victory. we'll see.....

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

To be honest, the only teams trailing in the series that look done and over are OTT and MON. The Sens are going back with P. Leclaire tonight and the Habs should have never parted with Halak last night.

I think the Sabres have something left in the tank but to do it three times in a row is another story.

A team that caught a break is NJ, Philly will miss Carter and Gagne dearly and the fourth win will be the hardest one to come for them unless Carcillo becomes a sniper overnight.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

1-0 Fly guys! Oh Danny Boy! Giroux is evolving in front of our eyes.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

10spro wrote:To be honest, the only teams trailing in the series that look done and over are OTT and MON. The Sens are going back with P. Leclaire tonight and the Habs should have never parted with Halak last night.
I was fine with them switching goalies. It was worth a shot. Was it really going to make a difference? They are completely out classed.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Diablo25 wrote:1-0 Fly guys! Oh Danny Boy! Giroux is evolving in front of our eyes.
Can he evolve into three people to replace Carter and Gagne? :)

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Feanor wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:1-0 Fly guys! Oh Danny Boy! Giroux is evolving in front of our eyes.
Can he evolve into three people to replace Carter and Gagne? :)
Good point.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Flyers aren't missing a beat without Gagne and Carter. Good night, New Jersey!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Poor Ian Laperriere got hit in the face by a slapshot while blocking the shot and there was blood all over the ice. Hopefully it missed his mouth and eyes

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Sens are hanging on. Love triple OT's. :) It's a good one.

I picked the Flyers to win the series but I am sure not even the most devoted fan would have imagined their team doing it in 5 and without the services of 2 key players and a goalie who hardly played during the regular season.

Apparently Lou lost it in the dressing room after the game. Kovakchuk was a bust, this guy was definitely on a different page from the rest of the Devils. He needs to pass the puck more instead of carrying the puck by himself.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Great story about Laperriere:

http://www.csnphilly.com/04/22/10/Panac ... feedID=695
“I will wear a shield now,” he said. “That was my last warning. I will wear one for the rest of my career. I am dead serious.

“It’s stupid. I’m mad at myself and not the shooter. It’s a position you don’t want to be in. It’s too bad I needed that to make me realize that I need to wear a shield.”

Later, getting very serious, he said he asked trainer Jim McCrossin whether he still had a right eye since he could not see from it when he came off the ice. McCrossin assured him it was there.

“I want to see my kids grow up with two eyes,” Laperriere said.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

In the 'who would have thunk it' department, the Habs force a game 6 back in Montreal with a 2-1 win.

Hard fought and gutsy that win was. Gutsy?...Yes! Guts and great goaltending from Halak won the day. I waited and waited for the inevitable collapse but it never came.

Habs probably wont win the series but I now see hope for a future.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Good win for MON, XXXIV. As I mentioned before, coach M should stay with Halak, don't mess with a goaltender's head at this time of the year and let him steal one or two, even though you know the opponent has more firepower. Hope, is what everyone wished to have now.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Five on five play, Kings have no chance against a deeper 'Nucks team. Of course VAN's issue is still that they can't hurt a fly the same way they are inept at killing any PP from the opponent. If they stay out of the box they should be able to wrap it up in LA.