MLB Season 2010

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

MLB Season 2010

Post by MizzouRah »

I can't find a 2010 thread, if there is one, please move this!

I just got back yesterday from Cardinals 2010 Spring Training in Jupiter, Florida - I went with my brother and father and we had a GREAT time!

A few things:

The jerks - Pujols, Molina, Penny, Oquendo and Gibson to name a few

The most friendly - Brendan Ryan #1, then Carpenter, Wainwright, Rasmus, Schumaker and rookie pitcher Lance Lynn

Everyone down there were really nice people, of course most were from St. Louis. :)

A few pics!

Last edited by MizzouRah on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

No problem but you should rename it MLB Season 2010 or something like that so we don't think it has to do with The Show.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Rodster wrote:No problem but you should rename it MLB Season 2010 or something like that so we don't think it has to do with The Show.
I too thought you were referring to the show. Great pics! Looks like you had a beautiful weather. Was that your first time going to spring training?

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

attractive pics.

too bad, re: Bob Gibson. When on TV, he does come off that way

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I think I vomited a little looking at those pics. :lol: :wink:

I edited the thread title to avoid confusion.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Go Nats Go!

Oh wait, have they won a ST game yet?!?!? :P
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on this year's Tribe...

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Best Baseball movie eva..."Major League". 8)

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:
Rodster wrote:No problem but you should rename it MLB Season 2010 or something like that so we don't think it has to do with The Show.
I too thought you were referring to the show. Great pics! Looks like you had a beautiful weather. Was that your first time going to spring training?
Yes, I was a definite n00b!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Gangrel wrote:Go Nats Go!

Oh wait, have they won a ST game yet?!?!? :P
Yes they have, on Sunday when I was there! :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

We need at least two more people for the DSP Friends and Family fantasy league, so if you want to join up, PM me and I'll get you the details. $10 dollar buy in...winner takes 75% of the pot, 2nd place gets 25%. Just a little summertime fun.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Joe Mauer signed an 8 year 184 million dollar deal with the Twins. I'm sorry, but he's not worth that much jack. He's the best contact hitter in baseball (Pujols is probably better overall) but he plays the most demanding position in the game. The Twins better move him to 1st or 3rd if they want to save his body. He won't last 8 more years behind the plate and keep up these numbers. I think this was a bad move on the Twins` part. Let the Yankees and Red Sox make these big moves. They have a lot of other needs at pitcher that will not be met now. So much for him wanting to play for a winner. Twins will be in the cellar in 8 years just like the Royals are now.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

fletcher21 wrote:Joe Mauer signed an 8 year 184 million dollar deal with the Twins. I'm sorry, but he's not worth that much jack. He's the best contact hitter in baseball (Pujols is probably better overall) but he plays the most demanding position in the game. The Twins better move him to 1st or 3rd if they want to save his body. He won't last 8 more years behind the plate and keep up these numbers. I think this was a bad move on the Twins` part. Let the Yankees and Red Sox make these big moves. They have a lot of other needs at pitcher that will not be met now. So much for him wanting to play for a winner. Twins will be in the cellar in 8 years just like the Royals are now.
thank you for the heads-up. Didn't have TV on today

thankful Minn signed him. The wonderful New York media had started connecting him with yankees last week. As a NYY fan, it gets tired seeing every player connected with the Yankees. We have 4 top tier catching prospects in the system. And Joe Mauer with the Twins is better for baseball. Ditto, Pujols with the Cardinals. End of story

as for the signing. This was much better then a Santana signing. I very much believe Minn did the intelligent thing. The same for Mauer, in taking a hometown discount. With a new ballpark, the Twins had to retain their hometown superstar.

I agree, Fletch. Mauer is big. They will have to move him from the position sometime before the contract ends. As for the Twins pitching needs, in the past no franchise have been better filling needs from within. Very efficient team/franchise. I don't believe signing Mauer will adversely interfere with their model. Their future depends on Bill Smith, at this time

_

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Mets are coming to play a 3 game series in Puerto Rico vs the Marlins on the end of July. Can't wait!!! :D

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Mets are coming to play a 3 game series in Puerto Rico vs the Marlins on the end of July. Can't wait!!! :D
kewl. I like their stadium

hopefully Beltran will be ready, for the homecoming

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

__

Badger_Fan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by Badger_Fan »

fletcher21 wrote:Joe Mauer signed an 8 year 184 million dollar deal with the Twins. I'm sorry, but he's not worth that much jack. He's the best contact hitter in baseball (Pujols is probably better overall) but he plays the most demanding position in the game. The Twins better move him to 1st or 3rd if they want to save his body. He won't last 8 more years behind the plate and keep up these numbers. I think this was a bad move on the Twins` part. Let the Yankees and Red Sox make these big moves. They have a lot of other needs at pitcher that will not be met now. So much for him wanting to play for a winner. Twins will be in the cellar in 8 years just like the Royals are now.
That whole statement is idiotic. Contact hitter? Twice in the last four years he finished in the top 10 in OPS, plus he led the league in Slugging Percentage last year when at age 26 his power started to come on.

He's already one of the best catchers of the last 20-30 years, and with a few more years will start to put himself in the pantheon of great catchers in history.

Chances are that they'll have to move him out from behind the plate later in the contract a la Biggio, but they just have to monitor his body to see how he handles the wear and tear of catching full time.

And none of this even mentions what would have happened from a fan standpoint if the Twins had let Mauer go one year after moving into a publicly funded stadium. There would have been a mutiny and the Twins knew it. You can't take the face of your franchise, who grew up in the town you play in, and let him go for money reasons after getting a new park to play in. That would just be bad business.

The side effect of the signing is that it gives them less margin for error with other moves, but that's a risk they had to take on to keep him in Minnesota.
The sing-along songs'll be our scriptures.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I just bought tickets for my first trip to Fenway (Wednesday of the first week) to see a game...and Yankess/Red Sox to boot! I can't wait!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

In honor of Jason Heyward officially being named the starting right fielder...avatar change. Holy crap I cannot wait for this season to start. Gonna be a ridiculous division with the Phillies as well (top to bottom one of the better teams I've ever seen on paper)...but I think the Braves actually have a chance this year.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

dbdynsty25 wrote:In honor of Jason Heyward officially being named the starting right fielder...avatar change. Holy crap I cannot wait for this season to start. Gonna be a ridiculous division with the Phillies as well (top to bottom one of the better teams I've ever seen on paper)...but I think the Braves actually have a chance this year.
Jason is one of the reasons I'm interested in the Braves this year. I gotta be honest,I'm not a big Braves fan. That being said I'd like to see Bobby Cox go out with a pennant. As a baseball fan I'll miss Bobby. One of the best managers in baseball history IMO.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

Leebo33 wrote:I just bought tickets for my first trip to Fenway (Wednesday of the first week) to see a game...and Yankess/Red Sox to boot! I can't wait!
Nice!

Fenway's at the top of my list of ballparks I'd like to see a game in. One of these years...

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

JackDog wrote:That being said I'd like to see Bobby Cox go out with a pennant.
He'll be fine, he got his ring. :evil:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

lexbur wrote:
LOL...don't be angry. It only was the last time the Indians had a sniff of the big time.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
lexbur wrote:
LOL...don't be angry. It only was the last time the Indians had a sniff of the big time.
Naw... 1997 7th game loss to the Marlins in extras after Jose Mesa blew a 1 run lead in the 9th.
3-1 series lead on the Red Sox in the 2007 ALCS with CC, and Carmona{the year he won 19 games}going in the next 2 games,only to drop 3 straight...and then the Browns in "the drive","the fumble"..."Red Right 88",and so on :roll: Hey maybe LeBron can end the futility :wink:

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

snaz16 wrote: Naw... 1997 7th game loss to the Marlins in extras after Jose Mesa blew a 1 run lead in the 9th.
I was at that game. I was visiting an Army friend and he had tickets. 2nd row CF right next to the tarped section. I couldn't have been more pissed. The bandwagon Marlin fans were asses the whole night. I really wanted the Tribe to pull that one out. We went to a strip club in Hallandale Beach to get over the loss. It helped.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]