MLB Season 2010

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Season 2010

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
greggsand wrote:The Strasburg news sucks. Really feel bad for him.
Happening a lot to really young pitchers for some reason. Medlen of the Braves went down a month or so ago with the same issue. Wonder why it's happening to the young kids so much now.

I get this feeling that maybe they are being rushed too quick to become the potential stars that's been written on paper.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
greggsand wrote:The Strasburg news sucks. Really feel bad for him.
Happening a lot to really young pitchers for some reason. Medlen of the Braves went down a month or so ago with the same issue. Wonder why it's happening to the young kids so much now.

I get this feeling that maybe they are being rushed too quick to become the potential stars that's been written on paper.
It doesn't matter where they pitch...fine, they get rushed to the majors, but pitching an inning is pitching an inning. Doesn't matter if they tear it in the minors or the majors.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Exactly. Could have happened anywhere. Pitching is a violent action. I think comes down to mechanics & DNA. Some guys go the prior/woods route, some the petit/Moyer route...
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

greggsand wrote:Exactly. Could have happened anywhere. Pitching is a violent action. I think comes down to mechanics & DNA. Some guys go the prior/woods route, some the petit/Moyer route...
Wondering if we see more young guys throwing 95+, will we see more injuries? Maybe to throw at the velocity you need really good mechanics to avoid injuries.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Pitching mechanics goes hand in hand with their delivery. Today's pitchers don't seem to use their back legs enough to drive the ball towards the plate, I see them using their upper body more when releasing the ball. IMO Tom Seaver had the best delivery. He had a very compact delivery and used the pitching rubber to drive all the force from his legs when he threw the ball.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

greggsand wrote:Exactly. Could have happened anywhere. Pitching is a violent action. I think comes down to mechanics & DNA. Some guys go the prior/woods route, some the petit/Moyer route...
The problem is that nearly every team has 95+mph guys coming up these days. Guys that throw in the upper 80s and lower 90s simply don't get drafted anymore. Hell, the Braves top ten pitchers all are mid 90s and above with three of those guys making it to the majors this year (Minor, Venters, Kimbrell). It really is crazy...I've never seen so many arms in a bullpen and minor league system. I don't follow other teams minor leaguers very closely, but I've noticed it in a lot of bullpens lately too...guys just come in throwing gas nearly all the time. I'd imagine that has something to do with the increase in TJ surgeries.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

I have to post about the fact that at every road stop this year before the last game of the series at each stop, the home teams have acknowledged Bobby Cox and his upcoming retirement. Except, of course, the Florida Marlins. What a completely classless organization. I imagine it has to do with the Marlin's management not being happy about Bobby's comments about Fredi Gonzalez being fired. But still. No wonder they only have about twenty fans at their home games.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

kevinpars wrote:I have to post about the fact that at every road stop this year before the last game of the series at each stop, the home teams have acknowledged Bobby Cox and his upcoming retirement. Except, of course, the Florida Marlins. What a completely classless organization. I imagine it has to do with the Marlin's management not being happy about Bobby's comments about Fredi Gonzalez being fired. But still. No wonder they only have about twenty fans at their home games.
Not that I disagree with you,but Bobby did slam owner Jeff Loria for the firing...so I'm sure that edict came right from the top. Forida Fox Sports and Marlins announcer did have an interview before last Sunday's game and wished him well,so the whole organization isn't comepletly classless. The new stadium opens in 2012,and it will be interesting to see if it does improve attendance. The site is at the old Orange Bowl, in Little Havana,and if they haven't improved the parking and security around the area, I don't see a lot of improvement.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

Yeah, I should have specified Loria since clearly he was the one making a point.

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

Reds in the playoffs on a Bruce HR in the 9th. First time since '95.

Would have to go with the Phils at this point, but you never know!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Pete wrote:Reds in the playoffs on a Bruce HR in the 9th. First time since '95.

Good to see them in the playoffs. J. Votto has been awesome for them this season.

Another team that will be in the dance in the AL is TPA. Too bad only 13.000+ fans are only appreciating what a good team they are.

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

Sure was a shame about the Rays! The Reds sold more tickets for tonights game TODAY than the Rays had total.

Such a great feeling to be going back to the playoff's. This team has been so much fun to watch and root for. It's hard to describe to someone who is not a fan or may not follow them closely. They are truly a "team" and that is a rare commodity these days!

I haven't been this happy with a sports team for a long time :mrgreen:
10spro wrote:
Pete wrote:Reds in the playoffs on a Bruce HR in the 9th. First time since '95.

Good to see them in the playoffs. J. Votto has been awesome for them this season.

Another team that will be in the dance in the AL is TPA. Too bad only 13.000+ fans are only appreciating what a good team they are.
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

Just to add to above, I am still watching the celebration and they just said Jay Bruce's walk off was only the 5th ever to clinch a playoff birth. Pretty cool!
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

Could be an interesting weekend for the NL wildcard.

I would have to give the edge to the Braves as they play the Phils who are already in. Will they rest their players? Set up their rotation?

And if the Padres can beat the Cubbies the next two days, they end with the Giants. Obviously would be very competitive with the Giants needing to win just as much as the Padres.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I think Texas can surprise a few people. They have two solid southpaws starters, a solid bullpen, and they may just beat the Rays in the first round. Yankees are a question mark besides CC in the pitching department and they've struggled lately. However, I have them beating Minny in 5.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

DB: do you know if your team would still be interested in AJ Burnett. And/or can you find out?

you owe us one

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

10spro wrote:I think Texas can surprise a few people. They have two solid southpaws starters, a solid bullpen, and they may just beat the Rays in the first round. Yankees are a question mark besides CC in the pitching department and they've struggled lately. However, I have them beating Minny in 5.
very nice to have Texas back in the playoffs. Don't know why, love to view games in their stadium on TV

go Reds! It is only right for this baseball historic city, to be back

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

vinny-b wrote:DB: do you know if your team would still be interested in AJ Burnett. And/or can you find out?

you owe us one
The Braves don't owe you sh*t. Sure, you took on Javy Lopez and he had a horrible year but good lord, Melky Cabrera is the worst player I have watched in my life that got regular playing time. He's HORRIBLE. At least Mike Dunn is pretty good...he came over as well. So yeah...the Braves may have bid up AJ Burnett, but Melky makes up for that. 10 fold.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Jinx! Halladay cannot throw a no-hitter in his first post season start...can he? Through 8 he has. Hopefully he blows it.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

I hope he does it - he deserves it!

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Sorry he left the Jays - glad to see him do well.

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well that didn't work. :)

Impressive work for sure. That dude is a stud.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

My brother was at the game. Two in the history of baseball...EVER. It was an absolute privilege to watch the game. Checkout the video I took of Scott Franzke (phils radio guy) calling the final out...love it!

XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Diablo25 wrote:My brother was at the game. Two in the history of baseball...EVER. It was an absolute privilege to watch the game. Checkout the video I took of Scott Franzke (phils radio guy) calling the final out...love it!

I imagine ol' Harry K. is smiling from ear to ear tonite :)

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

That didn't suck. How is that possible without the all-important "post-season experience?" LMAO
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin