OT: Apple Tablet Tomorrow - Mgraw-Hill CEO soon to be dead

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

vinny-b wrote:does this device have a dvd player? and/or built-in speakers?

(am too lazy to look)
Speakers, yes...DVD player...no.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

thank you, DB

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

So here's a little thing to add to the dis(cussion) of the new thing. The first time I really got into playing with my iPhone, especially browsing the web, I thought to myself 'man, I wish I could have a bigger iPhone!'. Also, as I sit on my couch with my 13" MacBook next to me, I can easily visualize popping the screen right off the keyboard and walking tothe next room with it. The idea of browsng the web or what not with touch screen and mutli-touch and gestures is very appealing to me.

It's easy to break the machine down to it's technical specs and realize what it is not. But one thing about apple products is that design is central, and design adds to function, even multiplies it's usefulness or at least the ease and pleasure of using the device. (I am so spoiled now by the touch screen on the iPhone and the multi-gesture track pad on my laptop that I can hardly suffer to use a regular mouse with buttons anymore.) I think it's foolish to judge the machine without holding it in your hands and using it for a while because form and design are key to the success of all apple products.

I don't think this is necessarily not going to be a Lisa or a Newton or even Mac Mini or Apple TV (both of which seem to have a good niche, but certainly haven't changed the game), but I do think I is a step in the rght direction towards that inevitable ultimate-tablet we will all be using in five or ten years.

I can't wait to play with one for a bit at a store, but I won't be getting one right away.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

dbdynsty25 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs

Time for a lawsuit. And the version linked above is MUCH better.
Funny how all the female executives at Apple never brought up the unfortunate connotations of the name iPad.

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Feanor wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs

Funny how all the female executives at Apple never brought up the unfortunate connotations of the name iPad.

Seriously...I saw that the other day too and laughed at the connection. Fascinating really.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Zeppo wrote:So here's a little thing to add to the dis(cussion) of the new thing. The first time I really got into playing with my iPhone, especially browsing the web, I thought to myself 'man, I wish I could have a bigger iPhone!'. Also, as I sit on my couch with my 13" MacBook next to me, I can easily visualize popping the screen right off the keyboard and walking tothe next room with it. The idea of browsng the web or what not with touch screen and mutli-touch and gestures is very appealing to me.

It's easy to break the machine down to it's technical specs and realize what it is not. But one thing about apple products is that design is central, and design adds to function, even multiplies it's usefulness or at least the ease and pleasure of using the device. (I am so spoiled now by the touch screen on the iPhone and the multi-gesture track pad on my laptop that I can hardly suffer to use a regular mouse with buttons anymore.) I think it's foolish to judge the machine without holding it in your hands and using it for a while because form and design are key to the success of all apple products.

I don't think this is necessarily not going to be a Lisa or a Newton or even Mac Mini or Apple TV (both of which seem to have a good niche, but certainly haven't changed the game), but I do think I is a step in the rght direction towards that inevitable ultimate-tablet we will all be using in five or ten years.

I can't wait to play with one for a bit at a store, but I won't be getting one right away.
But to me browsing the web without the ability to actually type is a dead-end. If I just need a quick check of my bank acct., scores, IMDB for an emergent trivia answer etc., my phone is fine. If I want to check DSP, FB, email etc. then I want to be able to pound out some text...and not on any ridiculous on-screen keypad. So again it comes down to there being two needs for me, and they're filled by my phone and a laptop.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Feanor wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs

Seriously...I saw that the other day too and laughed at the connection. Fascinating really.
I'm gonna go with an over/under of 2 combined as to how many times that crew got laid before they were rich. Wow.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

The biggest problem is the huge disconnect between the price and the feature set. For starters, the WiFi versions seem pretty worthless to me, because if you're just using WiFi, you're probably someplace where you could comfortably use a laptop. Unless you just want a big media machine to take with you, but again, that seems overpriced, and you're not going to store too many videos on 16-64 gigs. I'd need two 64 gig models for my music collection alone.

The 3G models are the really appealing ones, but you're looking at $630 plus $360 per year for the 3G service. That's a lot of money for something that's an fat iTouch at best. For someone who travels a lot (and I mean a lot), I could see the appeal because the portability vs. laptops and readability vs. iPhone would have real value. But that's about it.

Apple is not stupid -- I'm sure they did a lot of market research and I'm sure a good number of people will like this. But I can't see it becoming widespread unless the price drops or the functionality improves.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Brando70 wrote:The biggest problem is the huge disconnect between the price and the feature set. For starters, the WiFi versions seem pretty worthless to me, because if you're just using WiFi, you're probably someplace where you could comfortably use a laptop. Unless you just want a big media machine to take with you, but again, that seems overpriced, and you're not going to store too many videos on 16-64 gigs. I'd need two 64 gig models for my music collection alone.

The 3G models are the really appealing ones, but you're looking at $630 plus $360 per year for the 3G service. That's a lot of money for something that's an fat iTouch at best. For someone who travels a lot (and I mean a lot), I could see the appeal because the portability vs. laptops and readability vs. iPhone would have real value. But that's about it.

Apple is not stupid -- I'm sure they did a lot of market research and I'm sure a good number of people will like this. But I can't see it becoming widespread unless the price drops or the functionality improves.
See I'm in a different boat here...I was thinking if I purchased one what version would I get and why.

I have a MacBook and an iPhone. I would get the WiFi version because where am I going to go where I need to have 3G on the iPad? And where do I use the most 3G? It's mostly trying to find my why around like google maps or killing some time in line surfing the web. I'm not going to lug around the iPad for this.

I guess if you are more mobile with your technology than me, than you want the 3G version to go online while commuting and you want to get on the web. But I have the iPhone so while it's smaller, I only need to have one device while I'm mobile.

The only thing that I hope this does is offer students some sort of OneNote. I'm disappointed with Apple on this one. Students by far make up a huge sector of Apple's business. So if I'm sitting in class or need to take notes in a meeting the iPad would be the perfect solution. I can't do this on the iPhone and I wouldn't have to carry my laptop. Sadly I don't think the iWork suite will be good enough for these tasks. Maybe if you want to edit a draft or review a presentation then you use iWork. But if you want to take notes or create documents then you still need a laptop.

Still as I type on my sofa with my MacBook, would having the iPad make this easier. See that's the other thing, browsing the web is one thing. And the iPad sure seems to do that well. Interacting with the web is another and typing with the iPad may really hurt that experience.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JRod wrote:Still as I type on my sofa with my MacBook, would having the iPad make this easier. See that's the other thing, browsing the web is one thing. And the iPad sure seems to do that well. Interacting with the web is another and typing with the iPad may really hurt that experience.
It is great for interacting and browsing on the web...as long as the site doesn't use flash. Otherwise, I'll take my 13" MBP any day of the week. I still can't believe they don't support it. Fine, on the iPhone/Touch/whatever...don't support it...but for a web-based product? Ouch.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
JRod wrote:Still as I type on my sofa with my MacBook, would having the iPad make this easier. See that's the other thing, browsing the web is one thing. And the iPad sure seems to do that well. Interacting with the web is another and typing with the iPad may really hurt that experience.
It is great for interacting and browsing on the web...as long as the site doesn't use flash. Otherwise, I'll take my 13" MBP any day of the week. I still can't believe they don't support it. Fine, on the iPhone/Touch/whatever...don't support it...but for a web-based product? Ouch.
Who on DSP doesn't know what? And as you posted that's not apple fault. So we should blame apple for adobe dragging there feet?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JRod wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Who on DSP doesn't know what? And as you posted that's not apple fault. So we should blame apple for adobe dragging there feet?
I'm referring to the fact that they are pimping the hell out of the thing as a web connected device...it should support flash. It is LESS functional than a laptop. Previously I was comparing it to a smartphone where no one supports flash. Something the size of the iPad should have multitasking and it should contain a full browser...not a mobile based one. That's my argument. And THAT is Apple's fault.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Zeppo wrote:So here's a little thing to add to the dis(cussion) of the new thing. The first time I really got into playing with my iPhone, especially browsing the web, I thought to myself 'man, I wish I could have a bigger iPhone!'. Also, as I sit on my couch with my 13" MacBook next to me, I can easily visualize popping the screen right off the keyboard and walking tothe next room with it. The idea of browsng the web or what not with touch screen and mutli-touch and gestures is very appealing to me.

Well said Zep, I (OBVIOUSLY) will be getting one right away:

I see it as the ideal couch-side device and travel companion. Sitting beside my couch I have a Macbook Pro, the horsepower of which goes to waste while I browse the web, check facebook, respond to a few emails etc.

When I travel, I bring an iPhone for calls/email/music/movies, a book or Nook for reading, and a laptop for presentations, document editing and 'real' browsing once in a fixed location. The iPad replaces the latter two, and relegates the iPhone to just quick use.

When at home, the iPad sits in a charging dock in my family room, showing photos in 'picture-frame' mode; then I grab it to browse etc. When time for bed, I take it and read a book, or Sling TV - or watch iTunes Video. At work, it goes with me to meetings so I'm not obnoxiously typing away on a clicky keyboard while taking notes - I can check my email, schedule meetings etc. It does what it promises, fits BETWEEN an iPhone and my laptop, and makes many things more enjoyable than either.

I have concerns (1024x768 resolution, lack of integrated magazine/newspaper store), but I'm sold.

Of course, I also drank the fanboy Kool-Aid a long time ago, so...
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

If it had handwriting recognition, I'd be sold as well. Without it, it's a wait and see for me at this time. But, I'm certainly not knocking it like the majority, but then again I would just be using it for simple web browsing, pictures, music, and perhaps reading.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I am also not with the majority on the device. I am not sure if I'll be getting one but I am considering it. At this point I am leaning towards no but when extended hands on start coming in I may "drink the kool aid"
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

This one is definitely in my 'wait for the 2nd version of Apple product' philosophy. I imagine the 2nd one will be massively improved over this first version, something like the iPhone to iPhone 3G. But I do need to play with one at a store just to check it out.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

sportdan30 wrote:If it had handwriting recognition, I'd be sold as well. Without it, it's a wait and see for me at this time. But, I'm certainly not knocking it like the majority, but then again I would just be using it for simple web browsing, pictures, music, and perhaps reading.
I anticipate either 3rd-party or direct-from-Apple support for stylis input with handwriting recognition soon. There are just too many markets (medical, education) where writing would be a valuable if not critical input option.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Zeppo wrote:This one is definitely in my 'wait for the 2nd version of Apple product' philosophy. I imagine the 2nd one will be massively improved over this first version, something like the iPhone to iPhone 3G. But I do need to play with one at a store just to check it out.
No guarantee there will be a second revision. For instance, AppleTV is still the same hardware.

If it doesn't sell, they may not continue to develop it.

The hands-on impressions seem to be mostly favorable, even by people who are aware of the shortcomings in the specs.

May be one of those things that make the sale through a firsthand demo more than anything else.

People who have discretionary income and like to collect sleek, flashy things will buy them. May need some killer apps. to make the value proposition more attractive -- the ones they demo'd weren't so compelling.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

The more I read and see about this thing the more I want one:)

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

As with the iPhone, they seem to want to allow the software be the upgrade and they add hardware features in product upgrades. For example selling a camera as iPad: Camera for 2011.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Here's an interesting argument favoring many of the things people feel are "missing". The most compelling being that the lack of "flash support" (along with phones that don't support it either) could be the death blow for flash itself. I hope they're right...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/28/wire ... tml?hpt=C2
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Had a holy sh*t moment last night. Like many of you i'm an Apple guy and want the newest thing. I've been on the fence with this thing as i'm not sure of the "need" for it but can see it having a spot in the house. Still, my biggest hangup was justifying to the wife the need for a $600 (thinking about the 32gb Wi-Fi only) 10" iPhone.

And here's where the story takes a sweet turn. Last night, sitting on the couch while the wife pops open our MacBook, and out of nowhere, this woman who is about as far from a tech person as you can get, says the following "I want the iPad". WHAT? HUH? 8O Perhaps the stars were aligned and this will pass, but it's looking like the Rally house will be an iPad owner come April! :D :D :D

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Brando70 wrote: The 3G models are the really appealing ones, but you're looking at $630 plus $360 per year for the 3G service. That's a lot of money for something that's an fat iTouch at best. For someone who travels a lot (and I mean a lot), I could see the appeal because the portability vs. laptops and readability vs. iPhone would have real value. But that's about it.

I am one of those people that put miles and miles of flying every two weeks or so and although the 3G version was more tempting for my purposes, I realized that there's also a roaming charge to that. I travel abroad to the Pacific ocean often, not just North America and that's where the overall roaming cost for me will be out of reach. For that reason alone, I may go for the Wi-Fi version (if I indeed I find myself being very weak) but even so, I may wait another year or whenever the 2nd generation of the ipad comes out.

It would fit as a nice in-between toy with the iphone and Macbook Pro. Reading on it is very intriguing, but I am curious about the back light of the ipad for my ever needed progressive glasses.

Wished there was a USB port and an HDMI outlet.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Could you tether a phone to it for internet?
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Quote from Adobe's blog
“It looks like Apple is continuing to impose restrictions on their devices that limit both content publishers and consumers. Unlike many other ebook readers using the ePub file format, consumers will not be able to access ePub content with Apple’s DRM technology on devices made by other manufacturers. And without Flash support, iPad users will not be able to access the full range of web content, including over 70% of games and 75% of video on the web.”
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation