OT: Apple Tablet Tomorrow - Mgraw-Hill CEO soon to be dead

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Apple Tablet Tomorrow - Mgraw-Hill CEO soon to be de

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:So to be clear. The difference between the ipad 3 (actually Apple never called it a 3 but 'The New ipad') and soon to be released ipad 4 is the new chip processor and lightning connector. Any other changes?
That's it.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

10spro wrote:So to be clear. The difference between the ipad 3 (actually Apple never called it a 3 but 'The New ipad') and soon to be released ipad 4 is the new chip processor and lightning connector. Any other changes?
I don't think so. I understand the initial reaction that buyers of iPad3 of feeling burned, but all they're missing is graphics performance that no apps will use for a while, and the lightning connector everyone was complaining about last month.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Didn't they say they upgraded the cameras on the iPad 4 over the 3?

I think they're going to try to make the 5 thinner so it's not worth upgrading to the 4 if you just got a 3.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:Didn't they say they upgraded the cameras on the iPad 4 over the 3?

I think they're going to try to make the 5 thinner so it's not worth upgrading to the 4 if you just got a 3.
Not in a rush for sure. I just had a colleague that it's interested in all my Apple products (she knows I keep them in mint shape) and recently asked me about the ipad 3. But if it's just a slightly better processor and the new connector on the ipad 4,I might just wait it bit before the next one comes out. No interest in the Mini at all.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

My hunch is the 4 is going to have better battery life and run cooler but they won't advertise that so 3 owners like myself won't b*tch. My 3 won't even fully charge it only every gets to 97%.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:My hunch is the 4 is going to have better battery life and run cooler but they won't advertise that so 3 owners like myself won't b*tch. My 3 won't even fully charge it only every gets to 97%.
I would get them to fix that. It's still within the warranty period.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal wrote:My hunch is the 4 is going to have better battery life and run cooler but they won't advertise that so 3 owners like myself won't b*tch. My 3 won't even fully charge it only every gets to 97%.
Have not had that issue and I charge my iPad every night and each morning it is at 100 percent.

When the iPad Mini has comparable specs to the regular iPad, I will end up selling my iPad 3. Until then, I see no need to update to the iPad 4.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah mine is 100% too.

The Mini will always lag the flagship one in specs.

Next year, it may get the Retina and a beefier CPU and GPU.

If I did more reading in bed, I would certainly get it or an Android 7-inch tablet. If they come out with good car mounts, I may get one for using as a GPS, though the one time I've tried it on my iPhone, Siri and the turn-by-turn directions worked really well, much slicker than my Garmin.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I had several minutes this afternoon to toy around with the new iPad Mini and iPad 4 at the Apple Store here in the 'Lou.

iPad Mini:

Definitely an eye catcher with it's sleek design, comfort, and weight. Really impressed with the overall look (love the new back)

Typing on the Mini is much swifter and easier than typing on my iPad 3.

No checker-boarding!!!! I was worried about that.

It's certainly a nice size, but I don't necessarily see it fitting comfortably in a pocket of jeans. More so a coat pocket.

I'm ready to jump on board and purchase it! Except......for the screen display. There is such a contrast now from my iPad 3 to the Mini. It's simply not as sharp. The Mini looks better of course when you enlarge the text, which is something you'll find yourself doing because the real estate is smaller. I should say that the Mini looks great at the main menu, but there's simply a noticeable difference when reading text.

All in all, quite impressive but I'm content waiting for a retina screen.

iPad 4:

The first thing that jumped out at me was the sharper screen. It's seems to be a smidgen clearer, brighter, sharper, etc than the 3.

Other than that, opening apps are a little faster, along with websites. The difference is rather small though imo.

It does feel a little lighter in weight, but not major by any means. More than likely, the iPad 3 and 4 weigh the same.

Nothing struck me as "I have to upgrade".

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well I got my mini a little while ago and I absolutely love the size of it. Build quality is top notch and its plenty fast. However the screen is pretty bad. Having looked at the retina iPad for a while and my Nexus 7 you can definitely tell they skimped on the screen.

I'll use it for a while to see if it really is a big deal. I bet it won't be because the size is so much better than the old version so as long as I don't go back to the retina or the nexus 7 I should be ok. Haha.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I'll be waiting for the mini 2 next year when it comes with a retina screen and A6X processor. I am sure my kid will love the smaller size.

One of my colleagues was inquiring about my iPad 3 which I sold to him for $530 being a 64GB model, so I'll be getting the new one over the weekend.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The size is fantastic. But damn even the nexus 7 blows it away from a screen standpoint. Oh well. Size and function are most important to me.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

So am I the only person who bought a Mini? I love the thing after a few days of use. The battery life is incredible, the size and form factor is exactly what I wanted. I've got the white wifi model now that I'm testing, knowing full well the wife is getting it to replace her iPad 2 when my black LTE model comes in the next couple of weeks. This truly is the correct size for a tablet in my opinion...small enough to take anywhere, while still having enough screen real estate to enjoy the web experience. I believe the other 7" tablets are too small for that. The claims Apple made that it's more viewable on the slightly bigger screen are 100% accurate in my opinion. It's the perfect couch device. If I need a bigger screen for anything, I've got my 13" MacBook Air to take care of that. My iPad 3 and Nexus 7 have now been sold.

Oh yeah, and I'll definitely upgrade as soon as they drop a retina in the thing. Rumors are already swirling that the panels are in production for next years Mini...but in the meantime I'll continue to enjoy the one I've got.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

My main reason for getting one would be to use more while lying down in bed.

And if maps improve enough to use for GPS. They also have to add the ability to cache maps for offline use.

Then you figure there will be dashboard mounts for it.

Happy with the full size iPad so I'll probably wait for the Retina upgrade.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:And if maps improve enough to use for GPS. They also have to add the ability to cache maps for offline use.
No GPS on the Wifi version of the Mini, FYI.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I haven't been able to justify getting an iPad mini to myself. I am tempted though. Maybe I will stop by the apple store tomorrow and see if holding one sells me on it. If the price was more competitive it would already be a done deal.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Gave the Mini some real thought. Actually, have been to the store a couple times to look at them. Despite not having the retina screen, I think they are very impressive and quite sweet looking. However, already having the iPad 3, I don't know if I want to give up the display or extra real estate. My wife and daughter were rather indifferent about the Mini (thought they'd love it), and my daughter said she actually prefers the larger display on the iPad 3.

I also feel as though I'm taking a step back in terms of specs. The iPad 3 is faster, has a better screen, etc. It'd be one thing if the Mini was just as fast with a similar display.

The biggest positive I hear about the Mini is it's size and weight. I completely understand that if you are holding it in your hands quite often. I on the other hand use the smart cover and have it set on my desk at work, at home at the kitchen table, and if not in that position, I rest it comfortably on my stomach on the couch or laying down in bed. It's still considerably lighter than the old laptops use to be.

I will be seriously tempted when the Mini 2 comes out. Until then, I'm quite happy with the iPad 3.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah...my main usage pattern is on the couch or in bed reading...so the size/weight is a huge deal to me. Having a MacBook Air w/ a 13" screen covers my need for small and light with a nice sized screen, so the full sized iPad just didn't really fit as nicely between my smartphone and Air. So the Mini does that perfectly. Couple that w/ Verizon LTE and the hotspot feature and it's more and more functional. Yes, I realize that's available on the 3 & 4, but not at the size of the Mini.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I have to admit that I use my iPad on a little stand, usually on a table. I grab it when I have to use the keyboard.

But I was critical of the Surface, for appearing to be hard to hold -- it's a bit heavier and the 16 x 9 screen would be more awkward in portrait. With the kickstand, they seem to recognize that it's too big to be held constantly and if people are going to use the keyboard covers, they're going to need it propped up vertically.

Well that's how I often use my iPad, on a stand which props it up vertically. I don't use a separate keyboard. If I had to hold it more, the Mini would make more sense.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am quite happy with the iPad 4. Not sure if I see the X2 difference compared to the model released earlier this year as they advertised it but the retina screen is a thing of beauty. I played with the Mini a couple of times at the store and most likely will go for the 2nd generation next year as my daughter already calls it; 'Is that the kid's iPad version'? :)

Do like the size and lightness of it.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:I am quite happy with the iPad 4. Not sure if I see the X2 difference compared to the model released earlier this year as they advertised it but the retina screen is a thing of beauty. I played with the Mini a couple of times at the store and most likely will go for the 2nd generation next year as my daughter already calls it; 'Is that the kid's iPad version'? :)

The mini needs the retina display for me to even consider it. The size looks great.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Diablo25 wrote:
10spro wrote:I am quite happy with the iPad 4. Not sure if I see the X2 difference compared to the model released earlier this year as they advertised it but the retina screen is a thing of beauty. I played with the Mini a couple of times at the store and most likely will go for the 2nd generation next year as my daughter already calls it; 'Is that the kid's iPad version'? :)

The mini needs the retina display for me to even consider it. The size looks great.
Yep, if you read a lot of use it as a reading device (for web sites) than the mini is more like the iPad 2. For me, I quickly got eye strain. The retina screen changed that and I can't go back.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JRod wrote:Yep, if you read a lot of use it as a reading device (for web sites) than the mini is more like the iPad 2. For me, I quickly got eye strain. The retina screen changed that and I can't go back.
It's better than the 2...quite a bit better actually. Not only is the ppi higher, but the contrast and angles are better too. Sure, it's no retina and I'll be the first in line for a retina mini, but it's still pretty good given the size and weight restrictions/requirements. I did a lot of comparisons between my mini, my wife's 2 and my 3.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

So I decided to be excessive last week, and got a mini. After using it for a week, I'm beginning to find it preferable to my iPad2. After a session with the mini, handling the iPad feels enormous and clunky.

With pixel density higher than my iPad, games and books look great on the screen. When webpages are scaled down though, some of the text looks a little messy.

Overall it's just easier to handle. Other than web browsing being slightly more strained (but still acceptable), I find this size better for most other uses.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Naples39 wrote:So I decided to be excessive last week, and got a mini. After using it for a week, I'm beginning to find it preferable to my iPad2. After a session with the mini, handling the iPad feels enormous and clunky.

With pixel density higher than my iPad, games and books look great on the screen. When webpages are scaled down though, some of the text looks a little messy.

Overall it's just easier to handle. Other than web browsing being slightly more strained (but still acceptable), I find this size better for most other uses.
100% true...absolutely love the size of the mini. The browsing is only slightly more straight (as you said) but it still is quite a bit better than the Android competition at that size. So I'm with ya...Mini 4 Life. :) Until the retina mini comes out in a year or two, then I'll be getting that one.

I was able to sell my wife's iPad 2 wifi 16gb and my iPad 3 32gb LTE for more than the price of my wife's 16gb Wifi mini and my 32gb Mini LTE, so I even made money on the deal. Win win if you ask me.