OT: Apple Tablet Tomorrow - Mgraw-Hill CEO soon to be dead

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Specs "supposedly" leaked...

* Display:
o 9.6″ widescreen multi-touch display (by WinTek)
o 1440-by-1050-pixel resolution at 489 ppi
o Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
* Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.13GHz
* Memory: DDR2 2 GB @ 667 MHz
* Video: nVidia GeForce 9400M
* Storage: 64 GB flash drive
* Optical drive: Apple SuperDrive with DVD±RW and CD-RW
* Wireless:
o Integrated Wi-Fi 802.11b/g
o 3G: HSDPA (through AT&T)
o Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
* Location tools:
o Assisted GPS (aGPS)
o Digital compass
* Battery: Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery (by DynaPak)
* Usage time:
o Internet: up to 6 hours on 3G
o Internet: up to 12 hours on Wi-Fi
o Video playback: up to 12 hours
* Sensors:
o Accelerometer
o Proximity sensor
o Ambient light sensor
* Colors:
o black with silver or
o white with silver
* Software:
o Mac OS X 10.6 with touch-enabled interface
* Price level:
o $899 USD, 799 EUR
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

So, based on those specs, it's a touchscreen mid-range laptop with Kindle functionality, a bit more portability and better battery life.

Can anyone please cue "Talkin' 'Bout A Revolution" by Tracy Chapman? ;)

Gaming could be pretty cool on this thing, though. Like a DS on serious steroids. Plus seven of the 10 highest-grossing iPhone/iPod Touch apps right now are games. Cha-CHING for Apple.

The iSlate's revolution could come if it does for print publications what iTunes has done for music, which is get people comfortable with easy microtransactions for paid print publications or online versions that are now distributed for free.

That's vital for print, since ads for online versions of print publications command about 1/10th of the price of ads in the print version. If the iSlate versions of print pubs can even halve that equation, it could save print media.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:The iSlate's revolution could come if it does for print publications what iTunes has done for music, which is get people comfortable with easy microtransactions for paid print publications or online versions that are now distributed for free.
The problem is that any computer can run iTunes...so why or how can the tablet be the revolution? You mentioned it before...the revolution is just the iTunes portion of the equation...which is available on any computer. The iSlate is simply a laptop tablet. Big deal...especially for the price they are hinting at >$900.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

iPad = horrendous name

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'd rather get a $299 Netbook or wait for Microsoft, Dell and HP to announce their tablet offerings.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

dbdynsty25 wrote:iPad = horrendous name
Agreed. Better than iLap I guess.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Agree iPad is a horrible name. Basically it's just a large iPhone.

Which I think will turn this thing from being like the iPhone where it changes the market. To more like the Apple TV where so few people take the dive.

I wanted some note of note pad taker, text book notes or PDF notes ability where I could write/highlight over docs. I think the MS pad is more geared for me since I need more academic abilities.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:The iSlate's revolution could come if it does for print publications what iTunes has done for music, which is get people comfortable with easy microtransactions for paid print publications or online versions that are now distributed for free.
The problem is that any computer can run iTunes...so why or how can the tablet be the revolution? You mentioned it before...the revolution is just the iTunes portion of the equation...which is available on any computer. The iSlate is simply a laptop tablet. Big deal...especially for the price they are hinting at >$900.
To be fair, it is easier to read type and re-create the print experience on a screen with more real estate than a smart phone. But for 900 bones? You have a damn good point there.
Last edited by pk500 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So far I haven't seen a single reason to buy this thing. Where is the cool stuff?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

greggsand wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:iPad = horrendous name
Agreed. Better than iLap I guess.
Tiger Woods already copyrighted iLap for his frequent trips to the clubs. :)

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

pk500 wrote:
JRod wrote:Give me a break your benchmark for revolutionary is ridiculous.

The definition says... involving or causing a complete or dramatic change.
Your appetite for hype also is ridiculous.

Your definition fits iTunes perfectly, which I have acknowledged repeatedly. iTunes was a sea change; the Mac and iPod were not. I would lean toward sea change with the iPhone, but its effect was not nearly as dramatic as iTunes. That is, unless you consider the creation of an industry of "phone apps" as a revolution.
Well I guess calling it revolutionary before it's released is a bit much. But I was going off Apples propensity for releasing products that change the market they were in.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Not sold.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:So far I haven't seen a single reason to buy this thing. Where is the cool stuff?
Sure looks like it's a touchscreen mid-range laptop with Kindle functionality, a bit more portability and better battery life. That or an oversized iPod Touch for a hell of a lot more dough.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Did they even mention e-reader capabilities? Jobs is done and all he did was demo a larger iPhone this thing is like the DSIXL or WTF that thing is called.

Now some guys is telling me I can run my iPhone apps "blown up" and shows me a Facebook app? Unless something changes this launch is going to be on the Epic Fail site tomorrow.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JRod wrote:
pk500 wrote:
JRod wrote:Give me a break your benchmark for revolutionary is ridiculous.

The definition says... involving or causing a complete or dramatic change.
Your appetite for hype also is ridiculous.

Your definition fits iTunes perfectly, which I have acknowledged repeatedly. iTunes was a sea change; the Mac and iPod were not. I would lean toward sea change with the iPhone, but its effect was not nearly as dramatic as iTunes. That is, unless you consider the creation of an industry of "phone apps" as a revolution.
Well I guess calling it revolutionary before it's released is a bit much. But I was going off Apples propensity for releasing products that change the market they were in.
Understood, man! :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
To be fair, it is easier to read type and re-create the print experience on a screen with more real estate than a smart phone. But for 900 bones? You have a damn good point there.
I don't remember bringing up any smartphones in my statement? I said it's a laptop...and any laptop can run iTunes. Meaning that it's irrelevant when it comes to displaying text.

The biggest issue for the iPad is going to be that they don't use the e-ink displays. That's the biggest selling point to the dedicated readers...they look similar to real books. A lot of people don't like to read text off of LCDs or any other digital display for that matter.

We're going to look back at the iPad in a few years and think of it as a failure...mark it down. One of Apple's rare mistakes...I don't think even they can hype this thing enough to make it a "game changer" like the fanboys would like you to believe.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

WTF is that supposed to be - it looks like an iPhone that's been on the pies

If you consider buying that, you're unfit to handle money.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote: The problem is that any computer can run iTunes...so why or how can the tablet be the revolution? You mentioned it before...the revolution is just the iTunes portion of the equation...which is available on any computer. The iSlate is simply a laptop tablet. Big deal...especially for the price they are hinting at >$900.
I don't remember bringing up any smartphones in my statement? I said it's a laptop...and any laptop can run iTunes. Meaning that it's irrelevant when it comes to displaying text.
My mistake. You're absolutely right.

There also already are cool, print-like interfaces available for bringing the "print experience" with greater functionality to online editions if you're not a stickler for the Kindle-like display. The Sporting News Today is an excellent example, and it's free:

http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingn ... 100127#pg1

2011 will be the 100th anniversary of the Indianapolis 500, and we're already researching online interfaces like that of The Sporting News Today that also have links to rich multimedia content embedded right into the digital content. They can be viewed on any device. We already used something like that for the Fan Guides for our three races in 2009, which moved exclusively online. Very cool multimedia experience for our fans.

Funny, the Engadget live blog from the Apple announcement gushed at how embedded video in text-based digital media was so cool. Been there, done that.
Last edited by pk500 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Not for me. I'll pass but I bet CO's are already making proper sleeves/folding cases to hold that sucker from slipping away.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Damn that thing makes Steve Jobs look thin. I think I may buy one after all. I'll just need to remember to hold in front of me at all times. :)

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

No 3G? Odd.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

MLB.com's iPad App...

XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Diablo25 wrote:MLB.com's iPad App...
Hey look at that...it looks just like the one on an iPhone/iTouch...or on my laptop from MLB.com or Espn.com with half of the options! Woohoo! Yawn.

And 64GB max...that's a f'n travesty.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

dreading the day I see someone heading to the office bathroom with an iPad under their arm...
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

greggsand wrote:dreading the day I see someone heading to the office bathroom with an iPad under their arm...
Pfft... surely it will be conveyed in an iSling