OT: Apple Tablet Tomorrow - Mgraw-Hill CEO soon to be dead

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Apple Tablet Tomorrow - Mgraw-Hill CEO soon to be de

Post by Diablo25 »

Very cool case/keyboard coming for the iPad...if you are interested.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/24/keyc ... cc-approv/
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Thanks dudes, all very helpful info.

Someone got me the 64GB version. Pretty sexy, though I haven't quite been sure what to make of it. Weird that it can't do flash, and frustrating when mobile versions of sites load in the safari browser instead of the real deal. Reading books and comics has been swell on it, and this thing might just get me back into comics actually. Streaming old movies on Netflix is excellent as well. The screen's been a fingerprint magnet. Maybe I'm just oily.

I'm building a little library of films on it for fun, some of my faves, hi-def when possible. Empire Strikes Back, Stagecoach, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, a couple others. Stagecoach in 720p actually sort of work best, since 1:33 films are well suited to the dimension of the iPad screen and actually take advantage of the vertical resolution. Something like Empire, however, even though I have a 1080p transfer to work with, by the time it gets to the iPad a 2.35 film is using only a bit over 400 of those 768 vertical lines. Still, looks great.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

So who's up for the iPad Mini?

I definitely am going to get one assuming there is a Verizon LTE version available. Right now I do a lot of gaming on my iPad and all of my reading on the Nexus 7. If I can get a device that is in the middle (supposed screen size is 7.85", right in the middle), I'd be really happy. So yeah...announcement next week on the 23rd apparently, so I'll be grabbing one as long as it's not too overpriced. It simply has to have 4G...I've grown accustomed to using my iPad 3 w/ the LTE everywhere I go, so it definitely has to have that, or I'm not getting one.

Once I do, if anyone wants my iPad 3 (32gb) w/ Verizon LTE, just let me know as it'll be sold. ;)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am perfectly happy with the current size of the new iPad. Definitely a looker for those in need of a tablet of a medium size. Prices will be high again.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

It seems like a lot of speculation out there points to WIFI only, but no one really knows until next week. I love my iPad(3) and my iPhone, I don't think I need something in the 'middle' of those two.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

greggsand wrote:It seems like a lot of speculation out there points to WIFI only, but no one really knows until next week. I love my iPad(3) and my iPhone, I don't think I need something in the 'middle' of those two.
Naw...there are something like 23 new SKUs which includes a modified iPad 3 (new lightning port, etc.)...so pretty sure it's gonna have cellular included. For a price of course (usually 130 bucks).

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

The iPad mini is intriguing but number one, I like the extra real estate of the iPad 3. And number two, I've read rumors that the mini won't have the retina display. I would love it for reading and it would be that much more portable. I'm also curious about the price. The rumored pricing seems low especially compared to the pricey itouch.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:The iPad mini is intriguing but number one, I like the extra real estate of the iPad 3. And number two, I've read rumors that the mini won't have the retina display. I would love it for reading and it would be that much more portable. I'm also curious about the price. The rumored pricing seems low especially compared to the pricey itouch.
1024x768 @ 7.85 inches is nothing to sneeze at. Still adequate, tho not mind blowing. They gotta use that res for price purposes. You'll probably also see a 16gb (possibly an 8gb version) so offset the cost of the entry level iPod Touch @ 32gb. That's how they can undercut it without hurting sales for either. You'll likely see $250 as the base price for 8/16 and then up to 350 for the 32gb, which equals a 50 dollar bump over the iPod Touch. They really have an easy job ahead of them as far as pricing goes.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Plus not having retina means that can introduce this next year while the iPad 4 does it's thing.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JRod wrote:Plus not having retina means that can introduce this next year while the iPad 4 does it's thing.
Yup...right on queue. Not sure what they are going to do with the iPad 4 when the 3 is about to get a refresh with the new dock connector and all that. I have no idea what they can possibly add to the 3 to make it better for it's size.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

$330 for 16GB iPad mini.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:$330 for 16GB iPad mini.
And a 4th gen iPad?!?
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Man those mini's are expensive. Was hoping to be able to get the 32gb LTE version for under 5, but I guess I'll have to go up to 560. Anyone want an iPad 3 32gb?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

A little disappointed that a 4th gen iPad is already set for release. Not updating this time as I'll wait for the 2nd gen iPad Mini which will most likely have retina.

Those new iMacs look very sweet.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Too pricey considering the Kindle has similar specs and is priced at 200 dollars.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

My iPad 3 is already outdated.

They showed that it's better than a 7-inch Android tablet. They didn't identify it but probably the Nexus 7.

However, is it $130 better? Google is expected to make the 16 GB Nexus 7 $199 and offer a $32 GB one for $249.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It's not really a 4th gen...they bumped the processor and gave it a different connector. Woopee. It's just a spec refresh. Guess you bet that there won't be a new one next april tho. Again, I really don't see how they can improve it. Thinner and lighter is all I can think of...that's the reason I'll get rid of mine for a Mini version.

And yes, it was a Nexus being compared. The Mini is a better product no doubt, but 130 dollars better? Not sure. If the Nexus had LTE, it would be one thing, but they don't, so i'm forced to look for alternatives.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Too pricey considering the Kindle has similar specs and is priced at 200 dollars.

Kindle Fire HD is said to be laggy.

They showed the event live via web stream. They were comparing how much of a web browser page you can see compared to a 7-inch Android tablet and it was a big difference.

So I think they can convince people it's a premium device but will people be willing to pay 65% more over a Nexus 7?

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

A 16GB Nexus 7 is $250, the 8GB is $200.

I would've like to see the iPad mini at $300 though.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

What they're calling the 4th gen iPad has 2X the CPU and 2X the GPU of the 3rd gen, so it is better, if you're playing a lot of 3D games.

With the 3rd gen, they had to go with an older die process for the chips so it's power-hungry and they had to pack in a thicker battery, leading to a thicker than iPad 2 design.

They should be able to get that down next year and there will be a next-gen GPU part (Rogue) which should be available. Also IGZO displays may allow them to also make it thinner too.

Right now, iPad 3 is very responsive. But with iOS7, that may no longer be the case, and you figure they will increase the RAM every year, so that keeps it responsive. I'll probably just hang on to the one I have since it's fine for everything I'm doing with it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Naples39 wrote:A 16GB Nexus 7 is $250, the 8GB is $200.
Until the 29th, that's officially the price, but people have been known to walk into staples and out with a 32gb Nexus 7 for 249. So clearly, they are removing the 8 and going with 16/32 for 199/249 in a week, officially.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Naples39 wrote:A 16GB Nexus 7 is $250, the 8GB is $200.
Until the 29th, that's officially the price, but people have been known to walk into staples and out with a 32gb Nexus 7 for 249. So clearly, they are removing the 8 and going with 16/32 for 199/249 in a week, officially.
Hmm, not good news for Apple there.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Naples39 wrote:
Hmm, not good news for Apple there.
Yeah.. They're screwed... 8)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Early impressions of the ipad Mini and a hands on video:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1473669

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

So to be clear. The difference between the ipad 3 (actually Apple never called it a 3 but 'The New ipad') and soon to be released ipad 4 is the new chip processor and lightning connector. Any other changes?