MLB 2k10

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

pigpen81 wrote:
JackB1 wrote:
pigpen81 wrote:
You hit the nail on the head.

If I am slightly late/inside on a fastball middle/away, I lace it the other way....it feels SO good to rip a ball the other way and have it go into the corner.

It also feels WAY to good to jump on an inside pitch and curl it inside the foul pole for a HR.

The ball physics off the bat are sublime.

Nothing feels random about the hitting model...and I LOVE it.
Well I have to disagree slightly. The game decides for you whether or not you got under the ball, swung over it or nailed it square. While the physics detect how early or late you swing and that determines if the ball goes right, left or straight. The game decides for you whether the ball goes high, low or in the middle. That is why a "cursor" based system is most accurate. It is possible to pop up a low pitch and vice versa, but you will almost never see a ground ball on a high pitch in this game.
Jack, I agree and disagree.

I wish i could explain it with words, but watch the swing camera when you get a chance.

On low pitches, it is hard lift the ball...as it should be.....the only way to lift is is to get the bat head at the correct position....meaning the batter should be at/near full extension....

arrghh...this is to hard to explain.....but I think pitch location and swing timing are tatntamount to the hitting model and randomness does not play a big part. That is why the CPU is hitting plenty of grounders off of me as I am good at keeping the ball down.

I will think about this further and pay attention tot he swing analysis further.

I also think I am going to raise CPU contact to 70 and power to 80 as I am still keeping them off the bases and scoreboard to much.
The ball off the bat physics may look fine, but the game decides for you whether or not you hit the ball square, under it or topping it. In real baseball, you can have perfect timing, but still pop the ball up to the catcher. Also, you can have perfect timing and still beat it down off the plate. The user has no control over this aspect of the hitting model.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Does this mean they got rid of using the left stick to direct the ball? I always hated that in older 2k games. I could consistently pull balls off the outside of the plate.

I tried the demo (PS3) last night. Initially, I was unimpressed with the pitching. After a couple 3 inning games I finally got it (not much in the way of tutorials since it's a demo). I like the pitching more now that I understand it. The hitting was fun from the start. If they eliminated the ability to direct your hits using the other stick, then I'd be real happy.

Can all of the extra graphical stuff be turned off? I hate seeing the strike zone and the "hitter's eye" thing where it show you the general area the pitch will be in. I'm not sure how pitching would be done without the graphical aids, but if it can be done, all the better.
-Matt

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

You can still direct your hits via the left stick, although I never use it and see all kinds of hits.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Is it pretty much automatic like it has been in the past? I recall trying 2k8 and 2k9, and if you used the elft stick it almost guaranteed the ball would go in that direction.

If that has been reduced, and the graphical clutter can be reduced, I just may try the full game.
-Matt

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

matthewk wrote:Does this mean they got rid of using the left stick to direct the ball? I always hated that in older 2k games. I could consistently pull balls off the outside of the plate.

I tried the demo (PS3) last night. Initially, I was unimpressed with the pitching. After a couple 3 inning games I finally got it (not much in the way of tutorials since it's a demo). I like the pitching more now that I understand it. The hitting was fun from the start. If they eliminated the ability to direct your hits using the other stick, then I'd be real happy.

Can all of the extra graphical stuff be turned off? I hate seeing the strike zone and the "hitter's eye" thing where it show you the general area the pitch will be in. I'm not sure how pitching would be done without the graphical aids, but if it can be done, all the better.
Yes, you can turn off strike zone and hitter's eye
and you don't have to use the left stick to aim hits. It doesn't influence direction as much as in year's past, but yes that feature is still there.
I don't use it and just rely on timing to direct my hits.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I've actually found I make better contact when I use the LS, at least properly.... (pull inside pitches, etc)

Maybe it's just placebo and using the LS makes my swing timing better, but I think it helps get the barrel on the ball better.

I upped the CPU contact and power up one click from AS default, and the Brewers scored 3 runs on 5 hits in the first inning when I used Livian H against them as the Nats........

I'll leave it like that to see if the offense improves. Now, I just need to get my own on track!
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Supposedly, a "huge" roster update is coming today or tomorrow.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

greggsand wrote:Supposedly, a "huge" roster update is coming today or tomorrow.
Isn't it updated daily? How huge could it possibly be?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Seriously, I thought the living rosters or whatever they call it, took care of all that.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Are PS3 rosters updated daily, or is it just for the 360? I thought I read that a patch was already out for the 360, but not the PS3.
-Matt

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

I never use the left stick and I am hitting .318 so far in 8 full games with what seems the right amount of HR's, 1B's, 2B's, 3B's

I forgot my breakdown of hits, etc....I will check it out on my VIP profile tonight.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Rodster wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Seriously, I thought the living rosters or whatever they call it, took care of all that.
From Twitter:"Ronnie2K, Large MLB 2K10 Roster Update to go live in the next 48 hours per Dev."

So whatever that means... My guess is 'living rosters' updates player attributes, but stuff like this adds new players & swaps teams, etc..
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I don't think they've been updating them daily for ST. Maybe it has ratings adjustments to lower the rocket arms???

I also heard they are correcting some body types, such as Prince Fielders....

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Pitched a shutout with Adam Wainwright last night.. quite satisfying.

Matt Holliday hit a 2 run HR and added another RBI as we beat the Red Sox 4-0.

The hit variery is outstanding!

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Do spring training games matter? It doesn't appear that the AI uses minor leaguers during the game, so aside from taking a look at my own guys, what's the point? Will ratings go up if a young guy has a good spring?

I simmed ST once and don't recall seeing any box scores that weren't all full of the usual MLB players.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

They can't use player names if the player has not played in at least one ML game - which is why some player names are not showing up even though they are getting a lot of time in spring training games.

I have not had my 360 roster update for about a week (and i have this option turned on) so I suspect that the news about a 'big roster' update could be accurate.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I played this morning and it downloaded an update, so something has changed. Maybe they finally made Prince Fielder fat, which actually is something they apparently were going to do. :evil:

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

Just to touch on the left stick influencing the hits, I think its partially random. For example, I have seen times if I push up and in to try to pull a HR I will pop it up, but the other day got a low fastball and pushed down to hit it and blasted it 430ft. So not sure if I am really just popping the ball up or if the left stick will influence a pop up.
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I think you will pop up if you try to pull an outside pitch for example. However, I also think ratings play a part and you may be dead on the ball, but the ratings say your guy missed by that 1/2 inch low and pop up the ball......

I kinda like that ratings seem to matter, at least batting and pitching. Now, they need to make it matter for the fielding!

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Anyone know how you pull back a bunt? Every time I try to do it, I end up with a strike.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

JackB1 wrote:Anyone know how you pull back a bunt? Every time I try to do it, I end up with a strike.
You just hit the bunt button again don't you?
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

TheTruth wrote:
JackB1 wrote:Anyone know how you pull back a bunt? Every time I try to do it, I end up with a strike.
You just hit the bunt button again don't you?
Thats what I've been trying to do, but I can NEVER get it pulled back in time to not get a strike called on me.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

MizzouRah wrote:Pitched a shutout with Adam Wainwright last night.. quite satisfying.
I just blew one last night with Slowey (Twins). One out to go and I gave up a dinger to Hawpe.

Yes, I am now one of the six people who have MLB 2k10 for the PS3.
MizzouRah wrote: The hit variery is outstanding!
As of right now I thik it's pretty good, but ther are certain things missing. Not a lot of shots down the lines, and popups to the infield or in foul territory are missing.

2K10 is leaps and bounds better than 2k9 was, but there are still a few rough edges that need to be polished before I'd consider it on the same level as the Show. The reason I'm keeping it is because I need a change from the Show.

I love the hitting, and I like the pitching. There's a certain feel to hitting that I haven't felt since MVP. The pitching has gotten better as I've gotten used to it. The expanind/contracting circle is not really any different to me than the meter in the Show. I'm liking the gestures more as I get more games in.

My big issue at the moment is timing when hitting. I am pretty good at seeing balls vs. strikes, but I can't seem to diffentiate between fastballs and breaking pitches that well. I noticed there are a few different batting cameras, and they can be adjusted. Has anyone found a good combination that will help me recognize pitches? I turned off all the aids (always hated them in baseball games). [/quote]
-Matt

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I've been using Batter 2, with a height of 6. I find the default height is set too low, and it screws up the higher pitches.

Then again, I'm still figuring things out and striking out 10 times a game, so take it for what it's worth.

I will say I hate the Phillies though. I think even their bat boy can crank home runs.......

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

matthewk wrote: I just blew one last night with Slowey (Twins). One out to go and I gave up a dinger to Hawpe.

Yes, I am now one of the six people who have MLB 2k10 for the PS3.
MizzouRah wrote: The hit variery is outstanding!
As of right now I thik it's pretty good, but ther are certain things missing. Not a lot of shots down the lines, and popups to the infield or in foul territory are missing.

2K10 is leaps and bounds better than 2k9 was, but there are still a few rough edges that need to be polished before I'd consider it on the same level as the Show. The reason I'm keeping it is because I need a change from the Show.

I love the hitting, and I like the pitching. There's a certain feel to hitting that I haven't felt since MVP. The pitching has gotten better as I've gotten used to it. The expanind/contracting circle is not really any different to me than the meter in the Show. I'm liking the gestures more as I get more games in.

My big issue at the moment is timing when hitting. I am pretty good at seeing balls vs. strikes, but I can't seem to diffentiate between fastballs and breaking pitches that well. I noticed there are a few different batting cameras, and they can be adjusted. Has anyone found a good combination that will help me recognize pitches? I turned off all the aids (always hated them in baseball games).
I would agree with the pop ups.. but I've hit quite a few down the line on late swings.

Think I'm going to bump to AS now as pitching is starting to become too easy for me.