DSP members official Videogame Hall of Fame

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

DSP members official Videogame Hall of Fame

Post by vinny-b »

On Jan 29, 1936 the initial 5 players were voted into a new Baseball Hall of Fame. Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Christy Mathewson, Walter Johnson. 74 years later on the heals of this year's MLB HOF week, I wish to propose a Hall of Fame election for a different past time - video games

To clarify: the proposition is not a single Hall of Fame. In contrast, it is everyone's individual list of the greatest video games of all-time. Similar to movies/films, video games are very subjective. I believe each person's own individual Videogame Hall of Fame is of better value than one 'global' listing for the site.

I propose the following:

- each person typing a list of their 10 (maximum) video games for induction.

- there are only three criteria/requirements for a game's elgibility: #1. Title must be a commerical release (no homebrew) #2. Single titles only. No compilations (eg Orange Box, Atari Collection etc) #3. Title must be a minimum of 12 months old

- any region qualifies (JP/USA/Europe)

- any format qualifies (Intellivision, NES, PC, 3DO, Wii etc)

- any genre qualifies (racing, fighting, simulation, etc)

- any induction is final. If you elected to list State of Emergency in your HOF, the induction will live in infamy :D

- please list the date of inception (the current month/year) next to any title you select for induction

- beginning in Feb 2010 each gamer will be elgible to add 1 title to their Hall of Fame per month, and 1 title per month thereafter. However, one does not have to add a game every month to their Hall of Fame. Instead monthly 'nominations' may be compiled and used later at any time. At the end of 2010 everyone will be elgible to have 21 video game titles in their Hall of Fame. (the initial induction of 10, +1 induction per month thereafter) To clarify: NO voting ever takes place. This is simply each gamer's individual Hall of Fame.

for instance, a person's inital HOF induction list may look like this:

* Pitfall (intellevision) (Jan/10)
* River City Ransom (NES) (Jan/10)
* Grand Prix Legends (PC) (Jan/10)
* No One Lives Forever (PC) (Jan/10)
* WCW Mahem (PS1) (Jan/10)
* Pilot Wings 64 (N64) (Jan/10)
* Vanishing Point (DC) (Jan/10)
* NFL 2k5 (xbox) (Jan/10)
* Links 2004 (xbox) (Jan/10)
* Fallout 3 (xbox 360) (Jan/10)

Please read carefully: It is my wish is to propose a "trial" Video Game HOF 'sticky' for the site. With DSP members typing in their individual HOF list of 10 games in this singular/shared official thread. And then members updating (editing) their initial post at any time. Any summaries/mini-reviews listed next to the game title is optional. Only 1 post per site member in this official thread. No multiple posts.

edit: if you have any questions, feedback, or wish to engage in convo with others pertaining to the topic, feel free to post in the "Best Videogames Ever Made" thread. It is the inspiration for this directory. Along with 'Classic Game Room' reviews via youtube. Thank you for your patience and participation, brothers
_
Last edited by vinny-b on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Best Thread Idea Ever! [spam but am reserving my spot here - will be posting/editing when I'm done work :D ]
Last edited by Macca00 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

EDIT: I don't want to be that guy, so I'll play along. I need to think about this a lot but some games come immediately to mind.

1. Baldurs Gate 2 (PC/Jan 10) - Easily the biggest and one of the best rpg's ever created. I've played through this 200 hour monster 6 times.

2. WWF No Mercy (N64/Jan 10) - I'm not much into wrestling game anymore but this was one of the best. I logged countless hours on this.

3. CIV IV (PC/Jan 10) - If I had to take one game to a desert island it would be this one.

4. Blood Money(Amiga/ Jan10) - Possibly the last great side scroller / shooter ever made. This is an old one you can ROM onl;ine somewhere.

5. FPSBB 98 (PC/ Jan 10) - At it's time I think this baseball game set the groundwork for what we come to take for granted in today's baseball games. Some people will say Earl Weaver set the bar, but not in my mind.

6. Neverwinter Nights 1 (PC/Jan 10) - I've think I spent more time with this game then any I have ever owned. With the advent of DLC sadly a game like NWN will never be improved on.
Last edited by Danimal on Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Danimal wrote: Truth be told I don't even think I have 10 games I would consider HOF material in my mind
What???!!

Maybe I've been gaming too long, or maybe you are adhering to some Platonic ideal for gaming, but that seems pretty nuts. :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Sorry I meant that immediately come to mind.

Still don't get the point thought, a real HOF would be kind of cool though
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

vinny-b wrote: there are only three criteria/requirements for a game's elgibility: #1. Title must be a commerical release (no homebrew) #2. Single titles only. No compilations (eg Orange Box, Atari Collection etc) #3. Title must be a minimum of 12 months old
I have plenty that would meet the criteria but my problem is I would put Dragons Age, Demons Souls, Madden 10,Assassins Creed 2 and Forza 3 on my list but they arent 12 months old.

09 was a really good year.
Last edited by XXXIV on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

-Tomb Raider (the first one)
-NFL Gameday 98 (for pioneering 3d, polygonal football)
-Splinter Cell
-The original Ghost Recon
-Wipeout
-Assassin's Creed II
-Batman:Arkham Asylum
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Danimal wrote: 2. WWF No Mercy (N64/Jan 10) - I'm not much into wrestling game anymore but this was one of the best. I logged countless hours on this.
I still play this (on an N64 even). :)

I'll have to think about the 9 others for my list.
-Matt

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Slightly revised from my earlier list:

10. Pool of Radiance (C64, Jan 2010) The only games to ever capture the feeling of playing pen-and-paper D&D.

9. Front Page Sports Football Pro (PC, Jan 2010) Played this more than any other game I've ever owned. Still deeper than any football game ever made.

8. Tomb Raider (PS1, Jan 2010) -- The 3D perspective was amazing, the T-Rex truly scary, and the levels huge.

7. Half-Life (PC, Jan 2010) -- Best single-player FPS of all time. It had it all: story, stealth, survival horror, full-bore FPS action.

6. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (XBox, Jan 2010) -- Simply epic in scope and perfect in capturing the flavor of the Star Wars universe.

5. Beyond Good & Evil (GC, Jan 2010) -- It played like a great Pixar movie. Some of the best characterization to ever grace a videogame.

4. Resident Evil 4 (GC, 2010) -- It took what made the RE franchise great, a sense of dread around every corner, and gave you the arsenal to deal with it. Plus, in an era where action games are short-lived, it was an enormous game that took a long time to complete.

3. Call of Duty 4 (360, Jan 2010) -- It combined a frenetic, unforgettable single-player game that pulled no punches with a multiplayer mode that was easy to jump into but deep enough to have incredible legs.

2. Rock Band (360, Jan 2010) -- Taking Guitar Hero to the next level, Rock Band tapped into a fantasy millions of us have and brought it to life. The sweep of the song library and the constant influx of new songs showed how to make a game that could appeal to a wide audience while still catering to hardcore players.

1. Uncharted 1 (PS3, Jan 2010) -- This showed the future of single-player videogames, where we don't play a game, we experience an adventure. It had production values that, at its best moments, could outdo Hollywood.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Image BURGERTIME (COLECO) (jan/10) * Flawless highest score/arcade execution

Image CRASH BANDICOOT (PS1) (jan/10) * Popular yet underrated. And HARD

Image GOLDENEYE 007 (N64) (jan/10) * Revolutionary title. And timeless

Image MEDAL OF HONOR (PS1) (jan/10) * WWII via a spy's perspective

Image ROAD RASH 3D (PS1) (jan/10) * Wonderful racing engine is the foundation in this unsung title

Image FERRARI F355 CHALLENGE (DC) (jan/10) * The finest physics model and camera perspective in console driving to date

Image BURNOUT 2 (PS2) (jan/10) * Before "takedowns" were introduced. Favorite title in the series

Image NFL 2k5 (XBOX) (jan/10) * Pinnacle of NFL football

Image MLB 08 The Show (PS2) (jan/10) * The game of baseball in a box

Image GTA IV (PS3) (jan/10) * What GTA III would have been had technology permitted

Image YOU DON'T KNOW JACK (PS1) (feb/10) * The perfect (and only) vidgame i know, which is ideal for a date. Share a single PSX controller with your girlfriend, when you play

_
Last edited by vinny-b on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

I haven't played as wide range of games as many of you...but here goes:

1- KC Munchkin (Odyssey 2E) - Yes they got sued by Atari and lost, but this game was much better than PacMan was for the Atari....plus you could create your own boards

2 - Super Techmo Bowl (NES) - I think I played a season with every team.

3 - WWF Raw (Sega Genesis) - This came out in the early 90's and was the first wrestling game that seemed like wrestling. You could throw the guy out of the ring, and smash him with a chair.

4 - NHL '94 (Sega Genesis) - Senior year of college, no textbook was used as much as this game by me and my roomies.

5 - Coach K's College Hoops (Sega Genesis) - How I miss playing as Syracuse and shooting free throws against the brick wall in the Dome. But truly a great game.

6 - NBA Live '97 (PSX) - Only NBA game I played a full 82 game season

7 - NCAA College Gamebreaker (PSX) - Remember where if you hit the guy hard it would create lightning? Plus the marching band on the field at halftime was sweet.

8 - Brunswick Circuit Pro Bowling (PSX) - I think only my brother and I appreciated that you had to bowl the full assortment of qualifying matches, then the head-to-head, to make it into the step-ladder finals.

9 - MVP05 (PS2) - Too bad EA lost their license.

10 - College Hoops 2K8 (Xbox 360) - I haven't played another hoops game since

Rick

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Odyssey2 Football (Odyssey2) (Jan/10) -- the videogame that started it all for me

Crazy Climber (arcade) (Jan/10) -- still wish after 20 years that someone would bring this out for the consoles

Super Breakout (arcade) (Jan/10) -- gave "getting a boner" a brand new meaning

Super Mario Brothers (arcade/NES) (Jan/10) -- spent more money on this game in my hometown pizza parlor than I'd ever care to admit

NFL2k5 (xbox) (Jan/10) -- still the greatest

MLB The Show (PS2) (Jan/10) -- I always wondered when we'd get a baseball game that met the NFL2k5 standard for excellence. The Show for PS2 met that standard and SCEA has been raising the bar ever since.

Tomb Raider (the first one)

Resident Evil (Playstation)

Comet (pinball) (Jan/10)

KISS pinball (pinball) (Jan/10)

Close, but falls into the Tim Raines, Dale Murphy category of "just missed":

Madden 93, Sega Genesis
NHL 93, Sega Genesis
Empire Strikes Back (SNES)
Intellivision Baseball
Colecovision Boxing
Mattell & Coleco Football (the old handhelds)

Edit: Rick, I'm very envious of you...I remember wanting KC Munchkin more than anything back in the day, but I couldn't ever find it in or around my small hometown in PA. And once they lost the lawsuit, it was pretty much "game over" for the Odyssey2. Glad you got the chance to enjoy it.
Last edited by GTHobbes on Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Here's my ten (in no particular order):

1. WWF No Mercy (N64)(Jan/2010) - Still play it today.

2. NFL 2k5 (Xbox)(Jan/2010) - Ditto.

3. Front page Sports Football '96 (PC)(Jan/2010)

4. Oddworld (PS)(Jan/2010)

5. Centipede (Arcade)(Jan/2010) - I have it on the PS as part of the Atari collection, but the original version from the arcades with the trackball is what still sticks in my mind.

6. Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (PS2)(Jan/2010)

7. Madden '93 (Genesis)(Jan/2010)

8. Rock Band 2 (PS3)(Jan/2010)

9. High Heat 2001 (PC)(Jan/2010) - Already changed my mind and had to place HH2001 on here. Way too many hours spent not just playing, but modifying the game. I still have original disc and all the mods I made for it.

10. MLB the Show '08 (PS3)(Jan/2010) - '09 will take it's place as soon as the 12 months are up.
Last edited by matthewk on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

11. Metal Gear Solid (Feb/10) - I never owned a PS. This was the first bc game I played on my PS2 and was way better than any PS2 game until GTA3 was released a year later.
10. Pro Evolution Soccer (Jan/10)- introduced me to the beautiful game and taught me how organic games should be.
9. Rock Band (Jan/10)- great fun for a music/videogame lover
8. Uncharted 1 (Jan/10) - A near perfect combination of puzzles, action, drama, and adventure.
7. MLB 08: The Show (Jan/10) - High Heat with graphics and presentation
6. NFL 2K5 (Jan/10) - The best presentation of any sports videogame...still own it, still play it.
5. NBA 2K1 (Jan/10) - There are better basketball games, but I had the most fun with this one in multiplayer.
4. Grand Theft Auto 3 (Jan/10) - The first time I was ever blown away by a videogame environment.
3. ICO (Jan/10) - Fantastic co-op. I played through this with my wife over a long weekend before we had kids. Her favorite game as well.
2. Zelda OOT (Jan/10) - a timeless classic.
1. Super Mario Brothers (Jan/10) - this game still stands the test of time. My grandkids will be playing some version of this one.
Last edited by Leebo33 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Tough for me picking just 10 as I could go 30 deep easily especially with the sequels. Changed it 5 times. Finally just dart boarded all the games after the first 2.

World of Warcraft (PC)...True sickness.

Civilization IV (PC)...Hard picking just one as I and II were both GREAT.

Moto GP2 (XBOX)...Race online. Hot lap online. My first must have Xbox Live game.

PGR2(XBOX)...I raced. Then I raced and then I raced some more.

Grand Theft Auto IV...because, as with Civ IV, I had to pick one.

Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)...RPG chess.

Mass Effect(360)...Bioware RPG aka RPG greatness.

MGS(PS1)...Weird, different and cool.

Gran Turismo (PS1)...Blew me away. Too bad its almost the same game today.

NHL 09(360)...Online potential realized.

Monthly inductees...

Feb. TOCA 2...Great racer and first DSP must have XBOX Live game.
Last edited by XXXIV on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

This is impossible. I also feel that my expectations for games are now higher and subsequently never met so I'm not sure if there will be any current games on my list.

EDIT: Seeing other people's list reminds me of games I almost forgot.

-Tecmo Super Bowl (NES, Jan 10)

-Half Life (PC, Jan 10)

-Command & Conquer (PC, Jan 10)

-NHL 98 (PC, Jan 10)

-Rock Band (PS3/Xbox 360, Jan 10)

-Bioshcok (PC, Jan 10)

-Grim Fandango (PC, Jan 10)

-Ice Hockey (NES, Jan 10)

-Portal (PC, Jan 10)

-Goldeneye (N64, Jan 10)
Last edited by LAking on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'll start with my first 4 then add to it later on.

1) Grim Fandango (PC), Tim Schafer at his best. Funny ass game, great story, great adventure.

2) System Shock 2 (PC). Still spooky as hell 10 some odds year later

3) Soul Calibur - Dreamcast. Awesome graphics, great fighting mechanics.

4) Gran Turismo 1 (PSX) Set the benchmark for sim console racing. While the game has been surpassed by the likes of Forza and others it was the first at doing sim racing on a console.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I've got 21 sorted already. My starter for 10, then [Edit - you wanted the format as well, Vinny? Damn and blast...]:

- Timesplitters 2 (XBox, Jan 10): The best multiplayer shooter there ever was.

- Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (PS2, Jan 10): Simply, this was football.

- Gitaroo Man (PS2/PSP, Jan 10): Fighting the evil Gravilians to free the people of Planet Gitaroo, winning the girl's heart in the process, using nothing but a guitar, all because your talking dog told you to. Somehow, all that turns into brilliant rhythm-action fun. Mental, but brilliant.

- Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP 2 (Mega Drive/Genesis, Jan 10): I still play this. It gets so much right (the difficulty level, the rivalry system, career progression, the graphics) that there's no real reason to stop.

- Burnout 2 (PS2, Jan 10): Don't blink. Don't blink. Don't blink. Thought I told you not to blink...

- IndyCar Series (XBox, Jan 10): Pure, brilliant, wheel to wheel oval racing of a kind hardly ever seen in gaming, put together by people who understood that racing games are allowed to be authentic and thrilling at the same time.

- Grand Prix Legends (PC, Jan 10): If you're going fast enough, GPL scares you a tiny bit. I promise you that's a recommendation. Conveys the speed and danger of Formula One, 1967-style, brilliantly, and recreates the feel of the period superbly too.

- Formula 1 (PSX, Jan 10): "And it's GO GO GO!" Official cars, drivers, tracks, timing, sponsors, horrible wet races in dank conditions and Murray Walker. Set the standard for racing games, and for presentation in sports games in general.

- Sky Odyssey (PS2, Jan 10): I'd never seen anything like it before. Even Pilotwings had the helicopter missions, after all. No guns here, even on the military craft. You and your plane, exploring with only the elements for competition, and what competition they were...

- Psychonauts (XBox, Jan 10): Because I still have some joy in my heart, and because this game makes me feel it. The Milkman Conspiracy (edited because I keep forgetting it was one conspiracy, not several conspiracies...) is as great a single level as has ever appeared in a video game.

- Football Manager 2006 (PC, Feb 10): For the League One play-offs, for beating Bradford City 11-8 on aggregate in the semis. For the final, for extra time, for my beloved Eifion Williams jabbing home a 106th-minute winner. For the lap of honour I ran around the kitchen, and for making me feel like I was there.
Last edited by GB_Simo on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

GTHobbes wrote:Odyssey2 Football -- the videogame that started it all for me

Edit: Rick, I'm very envious of you...I remember wanting KC Munchkin more than anything back in the day, but I couldn't ever find it in or around my small hometown in PA. And once they lost the lawsuit, it was pretty much "game over" for the Odyssey2. Glad you got the chance to enjoy it.
My brother and I had some great Odyssey football battles. KC Munchkin was just classic...sorry you missed out.....KC Crazy Chase was just not as good a replacement. Wish I still had that system and games.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

fellas: thank you to everyone for following the format in the outline

the intention of the layout is for it to be utilized as a reference. A living museum of video games, which is perpetually updated. As indicated in title, the simulation of a Hall of Fame

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

1. Wasteland (C64)

2. FPS Baseball 96 (PC)

3. FPS Football 97 (PC)

4. GOW (X360)

5. Far Cry (PC)

6. NHL 10 (X360)

7. Left for Dead (X360)

8. FOF 2007 (PC)

9. Half Life (PC)

10. Rock Band (X360)
Last edited by MizzouRah on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

In order of system:

Quake 3 (PC, Jan 2010)

Deus X (PC, Jan 2010)

Command & Conquer Generals (PC, Jan 2010)

Excitebike (NES, Jan 2010)

NHL 04 (Genesis, Jan 2010)

FIFA 97 (PS1, Jan 2010)

Gran Tourismo (PS1, Jan 2010)

NFL 2k (DC, Jan 2010)

MVP 05 (Xbox, Jan 2010)

NBA Inside Drive 2004 (Xbox, Jan 2010)

It's funny...all my games are from Xbox or before...it really isn't until this year that some games from the current generation would even think about cracking this top 10 (Uncharted 2, MLB 09, Modern Warfare 2)...damn this has been a good year.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

You reminded me of Red Alert db.

johnvon314
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by johnvon314 »

College Basketball 2K8 - 360/Feb '10

One on One: Dr. J vs Larry Bird – C64/ Jan ‘10

MLB 06: The Show – PS2/ Jan ‘10

Civilization II – PC/ Jan ‘10

Master of Orion II - PC/ Jan ‘10

rFactor - PC/ Jan ‘10

Grand Prix Legends -PC/ Jan ‘10

Ferrari F355 - Dreamcast/ Jan ‘10

Elderscrolls III Morrowind – Xbox/ Jan ‘10

Heroes of Might and Magic III – PC/ Jan ‘10

System Shock II – PC/ Jan ‘10
Last edited by johnvon314 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Here is a list of the games I have in my own personal hall. Will be back later to write a description of why it is and in better overall order.

SOCOM: Navy SEALs 2 (PS2)

Pac Man (Arcade)

Metal Gear Solid: Tactical Espionage (PS2)

Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (PSX / PC)

Diablo II "Lord of Destruction" (PC)

SSX 3 (PS2)

NFL Gameday '98 (PSX)

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Multi)

NCAA Football 2004 (PS2 online)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (Multi)

Resident Evil (PSX)

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3)

While I did put some thought into this list, probably not nearly as much as it deserves. As mentioned above, I will be back to refine, provide justification, add games I'm certain to be missing, etc.
GT = Wilk5280