DSP Forza 3 Racing League: Season 1

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

DSP Forza 3 Racing League: Season 1

Post by macsomjrr »

Calling all Forza 3 owners!

I'd like to get a mini-league going for Forza 3 similar to what Zeppo put together for Race Pro. We all have lives and we all know how difficult it is to squeeze in time for a race. Here is my simple proposal.

A 5 race league using STOCK 2009 MINI John Cooper Works (D 298). These cars are easy to drive and very easy to paint up. Before each race all of the league drivers agree on a date and time for the next race. It could be two weeks in the future, it could be two days, it all depends on when we're all free. If you sign up for the league you'll be expected to participate in availability discussions and any driver missing a race will be immediately DQ'd. Although the point is to work around everyone's schedule if you're planning on taking a 2 week vacation anytime soon then you shouldn't participate. Each driver will be responsible for picking a color and a number and then creating a MINI with the chosen number on each door and on the roof of the car (see example below). The final paint scheme should be posted in here once you're finished. Races will be short but I'm guessing a race will probably take an hour from set-up to the final car finishing. If everything works out OK we'll try adding more races for Season 2. My ultimate goal is to move up into C, B, A and the R classes with everybody using the same color scheme and numbers for each season.

If you're interested in trying it out (please only if you're going to do your best to see this thing through 5 races) then post the following below.

1. Xbox Live GT
2. Your chosen car # (no duplicates)
3. A photo of your car (doesn't have to be right away).

Once everyone is set and has posted their car we'll settle on a date and time for race #1 and get started.

Season 1 Driver List
MacsomJRR - #13 - Yellow/White
Naples39 - #?? - ??
XXXIV - #34 - Yellow/Blue
jondiehl - #93 - Blue
DChaps - #66 - ??
theycallhimsim - #5 - Light Blue/Orange
W Patrick - #9 - Black
Last edited by macsomjrr on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:37 am, edited 7 times in total.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Man, I have hardly played Forza since I got it but I'll give this a shot.

Prepare to see a FUGLY car on the track. I've never used their paint program before.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Naples39 wrote:Man, I have hardly played Forza since I got it but I'll give this a shot.

Prepare to see a FUGLY car on the track. I've never used their paint program before.
I'm in the same boat Naples:)

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

#34 is interested.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I'd like to race, but as it happens, I do have a little vacation coming up for the Xmas break, so I don't know how many rounds I'll be eligible. If I'm around when you start, though, I'd be up for it.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I was reading up until the "controllers only" rule.

Why not make a rule that next time anybody plays an FPS game they only use the lefthanded control stick scheme to make sure it's all equal? :lol:

I don't get that at all.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

TCrouch wrote:I was reading up until the "controllers only" rule.

Why not make a rule that next time anybody plays an FPS game they only use the lefthanded control stick scheme to make sure it's all equal? :lol:

I don't get that at all.
Just a suggestion. Not a rule yet. Mainly to make things a bit more even between everyone who is racing as we don't all have wheels. Usually guys with wheels dominate and I wanted to have really close, hard fought, competitive races with the most amount of drivers "in it" at the end. Using just a controller seems like it would do that. How about a vote once we get a decent turnout?

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

1) XBoxJon
2) #93
3) I don't spend much time painting, so my car won't be anything special other than my number splattered everywhere. I plan on painting my car Green (with a white roof and numbers).
Last edited by jondiehl on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

I've updated the first post with the interested drivers so far. Looking forward to seeing all the cars once you guys are finished regardless of how bad you may think they look. Just FYI mine is probably just going to be the one in the first post with a possible white circle behind each number. Took me 5 mins to make it but you guys can get as crazy as you want :)

@Zeppo: Would love to have you in Season 1 but as you said you may not be here. If we don't get started til after you return hopefully you'll be in.

@Terry: Hopefully the possibility of a "no wheel" rule won't deter you from racing in this league. I remember reading a post in the Forza thread a while back with you saying you were occasionally using the controller with this game so I at least know you aren't a total wheel snob :D :D Again I'm going with whatever the other drivers want to do once the 8 driver online maximum has been met.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I would be interested, but I would prefer to use a wheel. Not because it makes me faster (I suck at Forza 3 with wheel or controller), but because my gaming time is limited and my enjoyment of any racing I would do with Forza 3 is going to be increased using the wheel. I actually don't even have a working Xbox controller right now. I have a wheel and a RB2 guitar, and since giving up on Trials HD, I don't even have a need for a regular Xbox controller.

Also, I thought that it was relatively common knowledge from Forza 2 that all the leaderboard records were set with the controller, not the wheel (ie controller must be faster).

Our own BBReBozo (aka Brian Ekberg), has an interesting article about controller vs wheel over at Gamespot.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6238167.html

Either way, thanks for setting this up. If you will have me my specifics are below:

1) DChaps66
2) #66
3) I will have it ready this week

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

macsomjrr wrote:@Terry: Hopefully the possibility of a "no wheel" rule won't deter you from racing in this league.
Nah, sorry. I'm not going to be racing a game exclusively on the controller. I have kids and all kinds of stuff in the room (family talking to me during a race, who knows what). The wheel has an easy-to-grab mute where I don't have to let go of the stick and drive off the track while I'm reaching for it (mine is on the headphone cable, not on the connector itself, so I have to one-hand it to mute...either I'm not steering or not using the throttle when I do it).

But more of what I'm considering is just pure stubbornness. If anybody's serious enough with a racing game for a league, then a no wheel rule is just absurd. Everybody is on equal ground--everybody could get a wheel if they're that serious about being competitive and league racing, etc. It's not that the wheel guys dominate. It's much like the argument about perks in MW2 being overpowered. It's that the guys with wheels are typically much more serious about a game and log a lot more time with it. I am just as fast with a controller after a couple tweaks in the settings.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

My experience with the wheel is like that article--always much slower with it.

I have always resisted the temptation to sell the wheel, but I end up using it very little considering the hassle of setting it up only to go slower. There are things I can do better with a wheel, and I feel much more in control most of the time, but my times rarely fail to be faster with the controller.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Posting from iPhone so short response.

Thanks for the wheel perspectives. Sorry bout the no wheel suggestion guys. Seems like I totally missed the boat on that one so I think we'll just banish that idea right now. I know personally I'm a bit quicker with the wheel probably because I don't tweak my controller settings. Will update first post later with dchaps. Good to have you.

@Terry: so you in? :)

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

It's the same game whatever controller you're using, is it not? Something like Forza isn't 'sim' enough to make one particular controller essential. Makes no difference to me because I don't own an XBox-compatible wheel, but a check of the leaderboard times on my Friends list suggests that neither controller is an automatic guarantee of speed.

Sign me up, Mac. theycallhimsim, car 5.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

First post updated. 6 drivers and counting.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

macsomjrr wrote: Will update first post later with dchaps. Good to have you.
Thanks man, appreciate the invite. I am looking forware to it as this will be my first jump back into console online racing leagues in several years.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

That paint editor is a scary place. I was alright on NASCAR 09, copy/pasting bits and colouring in with the mouse on the PC, but having to create all those layers with a 360 pad put me right off anything complicated, so this is what I've got.

Homage to famous racing colours? Check. Famous racing number? Check:

XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Re: DSP Forza 3 Racing League: Season 1

Post by WPatrick »

I own a Microsoft wheel and a playseat evolution and have used them a ton, but I am still faster with my gamepad. The wheel offers no advantage in my opinion it only makes it the game more challenging.

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

Last edited by WPatrick on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

GB_Simo wrote:
Very cool sim!

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Update first post with WPatrick. Glad to have yah!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Initial paint job for the 34 mini.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

WPatrick's car (from link above). Looking very sharp:)

We now officially have 7 drivers. If Terry joins (which I hope he does so he can battle Sim for first place :D ) then that'll be 8 and a full field for online races. If additional drivers want in then we'll have two leagues and a promotion/relegation system.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Did we decide on assist settings for this? The DSP usual (all assists off)?

Personally when I played this by myself I had all assists off except for ABS (not that you really need ABS on the Mini's, but if we move up...).

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Naples39 wrote:Did we decide on assist settings for this? The DSP usual (all assists off)?

Personally when I played this by myself I had all assists off except for ABS (not that you really need ABS on the Mini's, but if we move up...).
that sounds good to me. All assists off during races. I'm pretty sure I can set that in the race settings for each race so noone has to worry about checking it. This includes no braking line FYI.