OT: Musicians (or just hacks) update

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Musicians (or just hacks) update

Post by James_E »

I know a few of us around here play some music (or noise... )

Wondering what's going on with all of you. Grant? Terry? JackB? Scoop? Anyone else? What have you been up to?

I'm playing in a gigging rock cover band these days. Gigging on average once/month. Playing bass most of the time, guitar on 2-3 songs and drums on about 5 tunes. Recently started doing some lead singing too, on a couple tunes. I've sang "The Middle" (Jimmy Eat World) and Blow at High Dough (Tragically Hip) live a couple of times now. We play mostly rock from the 90s and later, but a few older tunes as well.

I found that for singing, it's all about confidence and practice. Confidence provides you the balls to actually push enough air that the sound comes from within. When I first go to learn a song, it's a yodelling mess. Then I work on it over and over again and find a place where I can sing the song in my vocal range. I don't necessarily sing it at the exact same pitch as the original, but at a pitch I can hit but otherwise pretty much the same as the original.

In addition to the gigging band above, also playing (guitar only) in a more formative band that's working towards gigging maybe in a few months. These guys play songs that are older than me and I'm the youngest in the band by 10 years or so (and I'm 39). Doing some lead singing in this band as well.

Pretty much takes up all my free time these days, after family commitments are taken care of of course.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Sweet! Sounds like fun.

We actually added a drummer to our band, who just happened to be my sisters fiance. It was awesome, we actually sounded like a real band for a while. We did a couple gigs, and the addition to our sound was really cool. Unfortunately, they are no longer engaged, and while I was fine with him staying on he decided to leave the band, so we are back down to a trio. :cry: There are a few videos of us on my MySpace page:

http://www.myspace.com/grantsharpmusic

We did a show at Chrisstock, which is a big party/love-in/beer-fest that my cousin has been throwing for over 15 years now. The band following us, who were the well deserved headliners called The Jugband (sort of a Grateful Dead cover band, but they don't play just Dead tunes) had a problem themselves, as both of their guitarists were driving to the gig together when the car broke down. They asked if my step-bro and I would sit in with them, and of course we jumped at the chance. We just found songs that we could all figure out and jam on, and it was a blast. We played some Dead, Joe Cocker, Rolling Stones, Harry Belefonte, Springsteen, and some more that we pulled out of our asses. It was a nice change to not have to be out front singing and just hang back and play guitar. We actually did really well for never playing together before and as we're both invited back next year will hopefully all jam together again. We must be official members of The Jugband now too, as we're even on their webpage: http://www.thejugband.com/

So I really want to find another drummer, because it opened us up so much musically, and we will most likely be playing a couple shows early next year, an Earth Day festival and the Faerie Festival (insert jokes here...) which is a big deal out here, both for those to attend and those who protest it!

And thats my music in a nutshell!
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Sounds great James. Singing is all about sticking to the stuff within your vocal range and you are right, breathing correctly is a big part of it. Find your vocal niche and stick to it. I really miss those days of being onstage and playing gigs every weekend. I am always tempted to get back into it, but I never make that leap. Good for you dude!

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

Jack accept my XBL friend request would ya?

Grant... that sounded like a fun show to do. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Jack, are you still doing recording?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

James_E wrote:Jack accept my XBL friend request would ya?

Grant... that sounded like a fun show to do. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Jack, are you still doing recording?
I haven't done any in a while. I seem to do my music in spurts.
I get into it for a while and then I don't for a while. I am like that with most everything :)

spooky157
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by spooky157 »

I've been gigging quite a bit lately with my country band, Jessica Rose and the High Life. We're a 7 piece and do mostly originals but we've got a few covers (Jolene and Tonight The Bottle being two of our faves) that we throw in for those nights when we have to do multiple sets. We've mostly been playing country music festivals in Brooklyn, with a few gigs sprinkled around Manhattan (Rodeo Bar, Acme). We just finished mixing our first record and looking to do a record release sometime early 2010.

My other band is a "Booker T and MGs"-esque funk/soul cover band. Drums, bass, keys, guitar, trombone and trumpet. We're looking for a sax player right now so we haven't been gigging much.

Keep on rocking, DSP brethren.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Not a musician, but just curious...

For those of you who are playing live shows, have you seen any evidence of the ASCAP crackdown on live covers? Any joints pulling the plug?

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

spooky157 wrote:I've been gigging quite a bit lately with my country band, Jessica Rose and the High Life. We're a 7 piece and do mostly originals but we've got a few covers (Jolene and Tonight The Bottle being two of our faves) that we throw in for those nights when we have to do multiple sets. We've mostly been playing country music festivals in Brooklyn, with a few gigs sprinkled around Manhattan (Rodeo Bar, Acme). We just finished mixing our first record and looking to do a record release sometime early 2010.
I was in the front row at the Brooklyn Country Music Festival at Southpaw. Great show. Dave Stone is not only an old friend of my wife, but plays keys in my band Lucky Ghost!

We're working on a sophomore full-length. Almost done.

spooky157
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by spooky157 »

Slumberland wrote: I was in the front row at the Brooklyn Country Music Festival at Southpaw. Great show. Dave Stone is not only an old friend of my wife, but plays keys in my band Lucky Ghost!

We're working on a sophomore full-length. Almost done.
Hold the phone - are you Seth? Your wife is Susan? I went to high school with both Dave and Susan.

BTW - the Lucky Ghost stuff sounds awesome. Reminds me a bit of classic 80's stuff from Bryan Ferry. Haven't had a chance to check you guys out live yet but the recordings sound great.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I haven't done anything in ages. I was close to joining a band again but that never panned out. Now I'm relegated to pulling out the acoustic every once in a while to the amazement of my daughter. I think the next step in my musical career will be teaching her if she shows interest in learning.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Man, this made me pull out the mental scrapbook. I played in a couple bands a few years ago. One when I had lots of hair, and one where I had none. :roll:

The first band was kind of hokey, although we got signed to a label and a Wal Mart sponsored tour. BUT the label went belly up before anything could happen. Good thing, too. The lead singer was a real idiot.

But I enjoyed the heck out of my second band. I was the singer/songwriter for it. We called ourselves noneleftstanding, and it was a mix of old school rock/ modern rock stuff. All original. We actually had a couple of really good tracks-one was called It's Your Time, and it could've really been a hit. BUT we just quit playing and went our separate ways over time.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

webdanzer wrote:Not a musician, but just curious...

For those of you who are playing live shows, have you seen any evidence of the ASCAP crackdown on live covers? Any joints pulling the plug?
NAH, they just pay next to nothing these days. 4 set shows at the bars (north of Toronto... newmarket, Keswick,holland landing) are paying $400 bucks around here. So in the 4 piece I get $100. 30-45 minute drive each way, hour of setup. 4 hours of playing, hour of teardown. Plus all the practicing and rehearsing. I ain't doin it for the money!

There aren't very many places doing live music still.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

spooky157 wrote:Hold the phone - are you Seth? Your wife is Susan? I went to high school with both Dave and Susan.

BTW - the Lucky Ghost stuff sounds awesome. Reminds me a bit of classic 80's stuff from Bryan Ferry. Haven't had a chance to check you guys out live yet but the recordings sound great.
Guilty on both counts. I think I knew that you knew Susan, but didn't know you were still playing with Dave. He's super-talented, and has been working on some Lucky Ghost remixes that are totally from left field and sort of amazing. We'll have to chat next time I see you guys play!

spooky157
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by spooky157 »

Slumberland wrote: Guilty on both counts. I think I knew that you knew Susan, but didn't know you were still playing with Dave. He's super-talented, and has been working on some Lucky Ghost remixes that are totally from left field and sort of amazing. We'll have to chat next time I see you guys play!
As we were packing up after practice this past Sunday, Dave played one of your tunes for us along with the remix. Both were sounding real nice...that's what I was basing my Bryan Ferry comparison on.

I actually have to come check you guys out. Just that my work schedule is so hectic and it always seems like you guys are always playing on weeknights. I'll definitely come catch you guys next.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

I've come to accept my life as a talentless hack and laid down the guitar and voice mostly permanently.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"