Assasin's Creed II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Assasin's Creed II

Post by RallyMonkey »

Not much talk here about this one. I just called my Gamestop to ask if it would be in when they open tomorrow and I was told they are actually having a midnight launch for it. I doubt I'll do that but I'm pretty excited for this one after reading some previews.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Oh, I'm all over this one. Loved the first one...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I want it...just don't know if I should even bother since I'm so far behind with the rest of the games I've got. I don't know how you guys do it...and with kids too!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I've got a huge backlog so i'll wait for the reviews and the proverbial $19.99 price point which is when I bought the last game.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

I'm looking to pick this up tomorrow. Best Buy is offering a $10 GC with it, as they did with Dragon's Age. I'm nowhere near done with that one, but ACII is easily my most anticipated game of the fall. I didn't play the first one until this summer and - despite its many faults - I loved the feel of it, the look of it, and the way the character controlled. From the previews it looks like the fixed the crappy bits of the first one and added a ton of new stuff as well.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'm holding off a bit.

Never finished the first one, because i thought some of the game play choices were stupid.

I expect this one to be much ebtter but I have so much stuff right now it would just sit there.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I want it...just don't know if I should even bother since I'm so far behind with the rest of the games I've got. I don't know how you guys do it...and with kids too!
that's easy...take away a portion of social life for every child you have..lol

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I LOVED the first one but there are just too many freakin' games out right now!!!!!!!! Will still probably buy it soon as I am weak willed. :)

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I loved the first one but with everything else out now I'm holding off and asking for this one for Christmas.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Reviews are starting to come in. Eurogamer gives it a 9/10
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/assas ... ole-review

"Ubisoft Montreal has never been afraid to try new things, but after a few missteps with games like last year's Prince of Persia, perhaps the bravest thing it could have done with Assassin's Creed II was simply to make a classic open-world adventure, filled to the brim with things you want to do and the narrative motivation to continue doing them. The fact it's done so suggests we really should trust the studio when it says it's taken its lesson, and fills me with hope for the third game in the trilogy. In the meantime, we not only have the Assassin's Creed game we'd hoped for in the first place to play with, but one of the best open-world games of the year."

IGN gives it a 9.2
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1045745p1.html

Closing Comments
"Assassin's Creed II transforms a middling action game into an intriguing and consistently entertaining open-world adventure. Based on this game, Ubisoft Montreal should run a clinic on how to iterate a franchise and if the series continues in this vein, the next installment will take aim at Rockstar's best efforts. The experience is layered, unique, and shows an incredible attention to detail. This is one case where the sequel has triumphed over the original by catching the gameplay up to the already excellent visuals. No matter what your preconceptions are about Assassin's Creed II, the game is well worth your time and money.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Does anyone know if there's a big difference b/w the PS3 or 360 versions? Just don't have the time to look around today but will be picking one up on the way home.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I am really interested in AC2 even though I skipped the first one, but I need to finish Uncharted 2 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 first.

Hm, the reference to Xenogears in the 1up review is conjuring up all sorts of weird possibilities in my head.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I thought AC1 was one of the most repetitive big budget titles. Most of stemmed with how large the cities were but there was very little openness. Go to a point, do something, kill a guy, and then sneak away. Rinse repeat.

I want to check out AC2 but AC1 wasn't what I thought it would be.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

I thought AC1 was one of the most repetitive big budget titles. Most of stemmed with how large the cities were but there was very little openness. Go to a point, do something, kill a guy, and then sneak away. Rinse repeat.

I want to check out AC2 but AC1 wasn't what I thought it would be
This is an issue that if you read any preview/review has been addressed as i think everyone who played AC1 ended up bored for that exact reason, including me.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

RallyMonkey wrote:

This is an issue that if you read any preview/review has been addressed as i think everyone who played AC1 ended up bored for that exact reason, including me.
I haven't read a lot of the previews/reviews to be honest...so RM I'll have to catch up I guess. Because of AC1, I didn't really do any reading up on this one.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

RallyMonkey wrote:

I didn't get bored with AC1, because I liked just tooling around. Played the game all the way through at least twice, in fact. So this one's gonna be lots of fun for me.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

They opened a Play n Trade near me, never been in there so went in with some games I am done with 4 games got me $100 credit so i got this and L4D2.

I doubt I'll even open it before the weekend
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

I just did the tutorial and then played about 40 minutes; just messing around, getting viewpoints and the like and it is a HUGE improvement on AC1. I haven't been accosted once, avoided some thugs and guards by jumping in the river and swimming away, and had to visit a doctor as health doesn't auto-regenerate. Also, I accidentally pick-pocketed a guy because I was using the fast walk button, which is also pick-pocket if you get close to someone. He got mad and I had to fast walk away before he figured out it was me. So far so good. Might even have to play this instead of going back to Dragon's Age, which I really didn't expect.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

I am about 5 hours in now. This game starts off pretty decent for the first couple hours, but then the story really kicks in, as well as the cool weapons you are able to obtain. There is really no comparison between AC and AC2. AC2 destroys AC in every way conceivable. The story is actually very compelling for a video game and has me wanting to keep playing to see what happens next. I won't give any spoilers, but the story does take some cool turns. I also like the bevy of historical information given about the various events, people, places, etc. I read in an interview that the development team got professors to consult on the game so that the contextual information is accurate. You can actually learn a great deal about the Renaissance period just by clicking on the info screens that pop up throughout the game.

The gameplay itself is more varied than the first AC and does not get nearly as repetitive. The story moves relatively fast, which is good. The control has been improved quite a bit as well. Overall the long wait has been worth it. This is one heck of a well-produced game that really appeals to my gaming tastes. Now that I've seen how AC2 is I'm going to play F1 2009 on the PSP for a few hours. Hopefully it's fun as well.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Holy cow, this game is MUCH deeper than AC1, story-wise. I know who Ezio is, I care, and he has much more personality than Altair did. Everything is richer, fuller, and more fleshed out. This is a kick... :D

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Teal wrote:Holy cow, this game is MUCH deeper than AC1, story-wise. I know who Ezio is, I care, and he has much more personality than Altair did. Everything is richer, fuller, and more fleshed out. This is a kick... :D
Is it like the original in that you are actually a modern day person virtually living out the life of medieval assassin?
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

LAking wrote:
Teal wrote:Holy cow, this game is MUCH deeper than AC1, story-wise. I know who Ezio is, I care, and he has much more personality than Altair did. Everything is richer, fuller, and more fleshed out. This is a kick... :D
Is it like the original in that you are actually a modern day person virtually living out the life of medieval assassin?
Yeah, but from what I've seen and heard, there's not as much 'interruption' back into the modern day as there was in the first, although the game starts out with quite a bang. But yes, you are still doing the Animus stuff.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

OMG.. how many good games have to come out every week?

:P

Will get this at some point for sure!

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

It's hard to be specific about the story without giving out any spoilers, but suffice it to say after some of the early events in the story you really feel the need to find out more about what is going on in the story and assassinate certain people. The game is a lot of fun to play, but it is equally fun to watch the cut scenes and try to piece the story together. The deeper I get the more I want to play and see what's around the next bend. Sort of the opposite of the repetitive AC1.