New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Post by btmmayor »

If any of you guys have a family that enjoys playing games together, do not overlook this one. It looks to be the same old, same old Mario based on the Nintendo DS version of the game, and because of that I was not looking forward to playing it at all. I have to say though, you throw 4 players at the same time into the game and my family just had one of the most enjoyable nights you can possible have in front of a TV.

My wife and I have 3 boys (13, 10 and 2) and everyone had a blast, even my 2 year old as he just jumped and clapped while watching the rest of us. At one point, as we were futilely trying to clear the 1-8 castle, my 13 year old turned to us and said "if laughter really helps you live longer, we will live a long time after tonight". $50 well spent right there.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Lined up to be a Christmas present at my house. :)

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Me and two friends (and three six-packs) played through the whole thing last night. It was epic... so much fun.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Slumberland wrote:Me and two friends (and three six-packs) played through the whole thing last night. It was epic... so much fun.
:) That sounds awesome! :D

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

Slumberland wrote:Me and two friends (and three six-packs) played through the whole thing last night. It was epic... so much fun.
Six packs! Where do you guys find the time to maintain that physique?

Or is it more like this: :) :)

Last edited by James_E on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

Double post.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

I think I'll get this one along with a Wii system for my house. I love me some old school Mario Bros.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

James_E wrote:Six packs! Where do you guys find the time to maintain that physique?
Ha! My wife was out of town... believe me, this kind of indulgence is a VERY rare occurence.

Anyone who plays it, I highly recommend going through it co-op. Although I use the term 'co-op' very loosely as you'll be getting in each other's way as much as you'll be helping, often with hilarious results.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

Slumberland wrote:Anyone who plays it, I highly recommend going through it co-op.
Yes. Its amazing how you can take a fairly standard Mario game, throw in some 3-4 player co-op, and it really becomes something special.

This part of the Eurogamer review sums it up perfectly:

Played solo, New Super Mario Bros. Wii is an improvement on the DS game, but it has the same character. It's almost routine in its excellence, resting with ease on Mario's mountain of laurels: a brilliant game, but more tribute than true successor, and an exercise in deja vu for the seasoned Mario fan. With more than one player, however, it's transformed.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Is this a game a 7 year old will get frustrated with because of the difficulty? Or does co-op help with alleviate that?

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

sportdan30 wrote:Is this a game a 7 year old will get frustrated with because of the difficulty? Or does co-op help with alleviate that?
There's a nice feature where players can enter a protective bubble that floats around until you "waggle" your way back into contact with an active player to pop it. It can save your ass in co-op, and it can get less skilled players through tough sections. Might sound cheap, but it leads to some really tense moments where there's one active guy left and you're holding your breath that he can make it through alive until you can re-connect with him. We also had some moments where all three of us foolishly activated the bubble simultaneously, which immediately loses you the stage. Was fairly funny to us at the time.