SFG Soccer

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

SFG Soccer

Post by tjung0831 »

Indie game on Xbox live....you actually get about a 10 minute tjung style demo to play with. I have to admit...I'm a sucker for games like this and the fact that it's soccer(not to mention indoor soccer at that) and I think this is going to be a purchase for me. It appears to have some depth to as far as editing your players. It reminds me of Super Mario strikers but has an international feel to it with avatar like players. If you like games like this, you may want to give the demo a shot.

http://www.stirfrygames.com/
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

My review..

I downloaded the demo of SFG Soccer which I found fun right off the bat and then ended up purchasing the full version of the game later in the day. This is 6 on 6 indoor soccer. There are no licensed teams which is no surprise but it does offer a 64 team 4 division career which you can progress through. The game offers two levels of play(easy and normal),offers several different camera views, and offers several different time formats(2, 3, 5, and 10)to choose from. There are no halves..once the timer counts down to zero, the game ends. SFG Soccer also offers a practice mode. The game has your basic control options, shoot, pass, plus options for headers, and bicycle kicks and actually controls quite well I might add. I think the graphics for this game are excellent for an indie game.
As I mentioned there are 64 teams in the game but no licensed teams so you get team names like Buenos Aires instead of Argentina.
The gameplay is similar to Super Mario Strikers minus your normal nintendo style tricks and explosions. So even though it's an arcade soccer game, because there are no gimmicks it gives you the feel that it's a real international soccer game, complete with crowd interaction and some great sounding crowd chants that you would expect to hear at any soccer game.
The gameplay is arcade style "indoor" soccer and while it's not to be confused with FIFA or PES, the game is simple, fun, and actually offers some nice depth including the ability to edit your team in your career. I actually started a career last night and changed my team to mimic the MLS team I support, the Seattle Sounders. I was able to alter the uniform to get the Sounders colors, almost spot on I might add and then I was able to edit the players names and facial features including skin color and hairstyle. I quickly edited the names and appearances of my players and soon had a Sounders core team of Montero, Jaqua, Ljungberg, Ianni, Zuakani, and Keller right in front of me ready to begin my career in the 4th division. There is also a random points generator, so if you don't like the ratings of your players you can use this to get closer to the ratings you would prefer for each player.
You play all teams in your division once for a total of 15 games. The top eight teams then make the playoffs and the two teams that get through the playoff tournament are promoted to the next division with the goal being to move up to the first division. I had no problems getting through the 4th division, finishing 13-0-2 and finishing 2nd overall heading into the playoffs. Some games I dominated, some games were close and there were a couple I thought that I had wrapped up but I let up and was burned late. After each game, you are awarded bonus points depending on how you do in the game and what the level of your opponent is. Depending on how many points you get, you can then level up your team. If you were awarded 4 points, you can then select one of several categories for your players to add 4 points too or you can select an auto level up in which the points are distributed evenly to the player. Since I was in my first year, I opted for speed and shot power for my players and speed and reaction for my goalie. Going into the 3rd division I will need to focus more on shooting accuracy and tackling when leveling up. I believe this really adds to the game and gives what would have been just your normal arcade soccer game some really nice depth.
The actual gameplay offers nice control and depending on the team you are playing, you will have to alter your style of play. When playing the lower rated teams in division 4, I was able to dictate the pace of the game and could walk around the CPU at will with my best players. When playing the higher rated teams, I had to think about what I wanted and needed to do in the game and play more of a possession game and look for open space and look to make plays and spot the open man. There are definitely times when real soccer strategy comes into play here. You can also alter your formation during the game so if you need to go all out on offense or hold the back line, you have the option to do so with a click of the bumper button.
After spending last night going through the 4th division, I think this is a really nice little soccer game here and definitely a nice change of pace...I'm looking forward to going through the 3rd division and playoffs today. Sure FIFA and PES are nice but fun and simple can be a great gaming experience as well and for only $5(400 MS points) SFG Soccer delivers a nice surprise on the pitch.
Pros - Cost, nice depth with the editing and level up system, game control and response is very good.
Cons - No red or yellow cards, no fouls in the game. Only appears to be two levels of play(easy and normal) would have liked to see a hard level.
For what it offers this game is well worth the $5 price tag. I give it 8 out of 10 in regards to fun factor.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

Thanks for the review, I may give it a try.