OT: Windows 7

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Windows 7

Post by ScoopBrady »

I'm sure there was already a topic on this but a quick search didn't yield any results so I thought I'd start a thread.

Is anybody planning on getting Windows 7? Did anybody try the beta? I was able to purchase Windows 7 Professional for $30 so I took advantage. I never could make the leap to Vista but 7 seems to be getting favorable buzz and now that XP is no longer supported it makes sense to finally upgrade.

I didn't try the beta and would be curious to hear any impressions from DSPers.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

http://www.digitalsportspage.com/module ... ht=windows

And I placed my two orders for 64bit and 32bit Pro w/ my .edu and my wife's .edu email accounts. Gotta love hospitals that have that designation for their corporate email. LOL...now I just hope they don't check to see if we are enrolled in classes.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Ah, I guess I didn't go back far enough.

I used my work .edu email addy to take advantage of the deal too. For those that don't know you can go to http://www.win741.com and get Windows 7 Home or Professional for $30 if you are a student. Basically, all they want is proof of a .edu email address.

It looks like I can download it tomorrow. Hopefully the upgrade process is painless.
I am a patient boy.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The problem is that they could ask you to verify that you're taking .5 credit hours to qualify for the deal. It said it in the usage agreement. So cross your fingers they don't check. :)

And it was only on Page 2 of the search for "windows". :)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am planning to upgrade this time, even though I haven't tried the Beta. People seem to like it in general, so I am hoping the transition from XP Pro is painless.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Well you're definitely the better man db. I searched Windows 7 and when it didn't show up on the first page and the bottom result on page 1 was from May I thought it was safe to start a new thread. I can't continue to comment because I still have a ton of information to weed through in the thread you linked me to. It might take me all night. :D
I am a patient boy.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

I've had Win7 RC1 installed for several months and I pre-ordered the 64 bit Professional Version for $99 with Best Buy back in June....best OS I have used by far....

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

ScoopBrady wrote:Well you're definitely the better man db. I searched Windows 7 and when it didn't show up on the first page and the bottom result on page 1 was from May I thought it was safe to start a new thread. I can't continue to comment because I still have a ton of information to weed through in the thread you linked me to. It might take me all night. :D
Not sure what specific information you are looking for, but I'll try to save you some time...best OS I have ever used...by far.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

He's being sarcastic Divot. LOL...and yes, it's a significant step up from XP (I'm including Vista w/ Windows ME...it never happened).

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I have been using the beta for several months and love it. Quick, efficient, attractive, customizable. Since RC1 is free I will stick with for a few more months while I decide about getting a new machine.

Thanks for the headsup on student purchase prices though--my wife is currently in pharmacy school and I hadn't thought of buying it that way.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It's probably going to take everyone 8 years to download tomorrow...I'm not looking forward to utilizing Microsoft's servers.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'm hoping to snag a free copy from Microsoft like I did with Vista. I haven't tried W7 yet but all the feedback has been promising. I may go the Newegg route and just get an OEM version of W7. I'll probably go with Pro instead of Premium.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I have currently XP Pro on my PC. Does it matter whether I get the 32 bit or 64 version? Also I hear that getting the Home version is good enough for the upgrade, what do you guys think?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:I have currently XP Pro on my PC. Does it matter whether I get the 32 bit or 64 version? Also I hear that getting the Home version is good enough for the upgrade, what do you guys think?
If your PC has more than 4GB of ram then yes, as a 64 bit OS will take advantage of 4GB of ram.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Been using the beta for several months. Eh. It's windows. Waiting for the beta to expire and then I'll wipe and load with Linux for more streamlined performance.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

F308GTB wrote:Been using the beta for several months. Eh. It's windows. Waiting for the beta to expire and then I'll wipe and load with Linux for more streamlined performance.
Linux 9.10 should be out on Oct. 26th from what i've read. 8)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So um what version do i need for a gaming / video editing rig?

I'm so out of the technology loop, I'll look like an ass and say I don't even know if I need a 32 or 64 bit version.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:So um what version do i need for a gaming / video editing rig?

I'm so out of the technology loop, I'll look like an ass and say I don't even know if I need a 32 or 64 bit version.
They will all work for editing and gaming...and you'll likely only need 32bit unless you're running more than 4gb of ram. I'm running Vista 64bit with 8gb of ram right now, and honestly, I don't really see the point of 64 unless you need mass amounts of ram for gaming (which I am doing).

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

As the resident Apple fanboy, I should jump in here with a bunch of comments about how much better Mac OSX Snow Leopard is...and it is.

BUT, Windows 7 is a solid product; I've been using the RC for some time and it's definitely a MASSIVE step up for the Windows line...I don't feel 'dirty' using it. If you're a PC guy, getting it is a no-brainer.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

NEVERMIND
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 741&catId=

Im getting a new pc which one of these is the best choice with you guys mentioning amount of ram i was just wondering.

or has anyone some other suggestion?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I would not buy a PC now with less than 4gb of ram...but I do like the AMD processors better than the intel one included in that Slimline HP. I'd go with the middle one (Compaq Model CQ5210Y for $399) and just pick up new ram from newegg or somewhere similar. You can get 8GB for like 160 bucks, or 4GB for around 80. Since it's running Windows 7 64bit, you can put up to 8GB (at least, depends on the motherboard, it could be 16gb). As mentioned previously, the 32bit Windows 7 can only see 4GB of ram...that's the advantage of 64bit.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Ok Cheers db ,would i be able to add too the existing ram or replace it with new.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Ok Cheers db ,would i be able to add too the existing ram or replace it with new.
You'd just replace it with new...that way you get two 2gb sticks that match. Then if you want to upgrade to 8gb later, you can get two more. I really just wouldn't get anything with less than 4gb. Windows is a resource hog!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Oh...and Windows 7 Pro is downloading as we speak. I guess the student thing worked! At least one of my copies is...I gotta get the wife to download the other copy tomorrow.