OT: Windows 7

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:Just to be clear. I have an XP Pro on my machine and I just ordered Winows 7 Pro upgrade. Because it's supposed to be a clean install I don't need to buy the full version correct?
Correct.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Rodster wrote:
GTHobbes wrote:Coming from somebody who doesn't really use his home laptop (which has Vista installed) for anything more than surfing the internet, using ITunes and Word, does anybody see a reason to upgrade? Does it make the initial start-up or shut-down significantly faster? Thanks.
Windows 7 is vastly superior to Vista in every way even though it's based on Vista code. It's what Vista should have been from the start. It boots up and shuts down faster, and performs applications and tasks much quicker than Vista. If you like Vista then there's really no reason to upgrade. But if you are interested to see what Vista should have been then by all means upgrade to Windows 7.
Thanks, Rod.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

GTHobbes wrote:
Rodster wrote:
GTHobbes wrote:Coming from somebody who doesn't really use his home laptop (which has Vista installed) for anything more than surfing the internet, using ITunes and Word, does anybody see a reason to upgrade? Does it make the initial start-up or shut-down significantly faster? Thanks.
Windows 7 is vastly superior to Vista in every way even though it's based on Vista code. It's what Vista should have been from the start. It boots up and shuts down faster, and performs applications and tasks much quicker than Vista. If you like Vista then there's really no reason to upgrade. But if you are interested to see what Vista should have been then by all means upgrade to Windows 7.
Thanks, Rod.
Buy the Home Premium Edition. 8)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

^^^ Sorry, spammer we can't help you until your basic level of English improves. Oh and Matthew is spelled with 2 T's. :lol:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Ok so i didn't open my upgrade pack, I was planning to do the upgrades this weekend and someone hit me with the following so I need to know if it is true.

I was told with the upgrades if I ever need to do a reinstall, I need to reinstall XP, then reinstall Windows 7.

Please tell me that is not true.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Not true. You can use that disc to install cleanly and as Rod said, edit the registry to active windows.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Can you guys check your Event (System) Log. I have two laptops generating bogus Hard Disk errors. This problem has been confirmed by others on MS Technet. Trying to figure out why. The general thinking is using a USB pen drive maybe causing this problem.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Sea ... \DR2.&ir=1

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I get that problem consistently when I have my 1TB external usb drive hooked up.

I just unhooked it and the problem went away.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Interesting because my disk errors showed up when I plugged in a USB pen drive. I discovered something else you guys may want to try out:

I disabled write cache via device manager on my HDD and now there's no more delay when you click on a group folder in the start menu. Now all the group icons all appear instantaneous. 8)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

OK, got the Disk Error solved sort of. They are being generated from my Diesel 16GB USB Pen drive.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

In a totally unrelated note, I just passed the Windows 7 (MCTS) certification exam this past Wednesday. :lol:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:In a totally unrelated note, I just passed the Windows 7 (MCTS) certification exam this past Wednesday. :lol:
Congrats !

So are you saying anyone can pass that test? :)

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Rodster wrote:
jLp vAkEr0 wrote:In a totally unrelated note, I just passed the Windows 7 (MCTS) certification exam this past Wednesday. :lol:
Congrats !

So are you saying anyone can pass that test? :)
Hence the laughing smiley. :D

I actually found it to be pretty easy. I've been screwing around with W7 for a while now and I d/l a study guide which helped.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Love the new media center in Windows 7. I've had an hd tv tuner card for the last couple of years and the XP media center wasn't able to pick up the clear qam channels but 7 does and it is great being able to record hi def tv shows and stream them through the xbox.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Here's a trick I read about. If you hate the super large icons in the task bar you can shrink them along with the taskbar by clicking on properties in the taskbar and selecting "small icons".

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Here's a trick I read about. If you hate the super large icons in the task bar you can shrink them along with the taskbar by clicking on properties in the taskbar and selecting "small icons".
LOL...you're a computer guy. You can change just about everything in Windows 7 and you had to "read" about that one? :lol:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Used to be a computer guy. I switched to fixing cars it's more profitable, besides Windows 7 is new. :P :)

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

vader29 wrote:Love the new media center in Windows 7. I've had an hd tv tuner card for the last couple of years and the XP media center wasn't able to pick up the clear qam channels but 7 does and it is great being able to record hi def tv shows and stream them through the xbox.
No HD channels was my biggest beef with Media Center in XP and Vista. It is the reason I got a Comcast DVR. Its great to hear it has been addressed in Win 7. When I update my PC in the spring I'll be sure to get an HD TV Tuner Card so I can get the most out of it.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

I just had to format my HD and start all over with Vista 64 after MS told me (after trying repeatedly to activate) that my Win 7 Upgrade was only good for one computer which is what I have on my desktop. Unless I am missing something, the days of putting a Windows OS on more than one machine per license are over....tried Rodster's advice and still no go.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DivotMaker wrote:I just had to format my HD and start all over with Vista 64 after MS told me (after trying repeatedly to activate) that my Win 7 Upgrade was only good for one computer which is what I have on my desktop. Unless I am missing something, the days of putting a Windows OS on more than one machine per license are over....tried Rodster's advice and still no go.
Are you installing it on another computer or is it the same computer you purchased it for? Just want to make sure I understand the question as it's early and the coffee still hasn't reached my brain. :P

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Rodster wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:I just had to format my HD and start all over with Vista 64 after MS told me (after trying repeatedly to activate) that my Win 7 Upgrade was only good for one computer which is what I have on my desktop. Unless I am missing something, the days of putting a Windows OS on more than one machine per license are over....tried Rodster's advice and still no go.
Are you installing it on another computer or is it the same computer you purchased it for? Just want to make sure I understand the question as it's early and the coffee still hasn't reached my brain. :P
Installed Win7 Professional on my desktop (format/clean install), then did the same thing with the same copy on my laptop....

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DivotMaker wrote:
Rodster wrote:
Installed Win7 Professional on my desktop (format/clean install), then did the same thing with the same copy on my laptop....
There's your problem mate. That's not allowed, only 1 key per computer. You can also pm me for alternative means. ;)

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Rodster wrote:There's your problem mate. That's not allowed, only 1 key per computer. You can also pm me for alternative means. ;)
You have a PM....thanks!

dellsmaith
Mario Mendoza

Post by dellsmaith »

spam