NCAA Basketball 10

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

So,anyone pick this up. Early impressions?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Really enjoying the game so far. I only played on game, KU (me) vs. Mizzou. It's a little ridiculous that Mizzou is an A- in the game. No way they should be that high. I glanced through the Big 12 and everyone is either a B or an A. What I find interesting however is Mizzou didn't necessarily play like a A- team. They shot very poorly in the first, as did I. So, I don't really know what to make of the ratings really.

Saw a few plays where either my teamate or the other team had a guy standing out of bounds when the ball was passed to him. Obviously, an automatic change of possession. That needs fixing.

I bumped up fatigue to 60 and still didn't see much effect. Will bump it up another 10 for my next game.

Like Ehh, I'm seeing the differences in terms of player skill. Aldrich is an absolute beast, while the Morris twins are decent, but nothing special. Collins is terrific of course driving and shooting, but Ty Reed is slower and doesn't have the ball handling skills to drive by someone. I think by turning the game speed down a couple notches, it makes for a slower game. However, the skill players seem to be a step quicker and better ball handlers.

Presentation is fabulous. I really wish EA would have had the names called out during play. Still, it's very immersive, and I love the replays as we go to time out.

Fouls are pretty much non existent so far. Gonna toy with them as I saw only one foul called on Mizzou before of course they started fouling me to send me to the free throw line.

Great gaming experience so far. Much more entertaining than Live imo, but then again I am a college basketball fanatic.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Absolutely loving this game so far!

Played my second game on All-Conference. Going to give Varsity a go tomorrow, but I didn't necessarily think All-Conference felt that bad. A few more thoughts.

KU against at Memphis. Memphis full courted the you know what out of me. I turned the ball over a good five times at least.

I maxed out fatigue and FINALLY saw some effect. So, that is a very good sign.

I bumped up fouls to 80 or so and still didn't see many fouls called at all. Will heed the advice of others and bump it up even higher. What I've come to conclusion is that fatigue and fouls play out realistically between 90-100. Below that, you're basically getting an arcade style game.

I freakin' love the post moves with the right stick. Aldrich had a nice little spin move for an easy bucket. Marcus Morris, not so much.

I do think layups need to be upped a little bit, as I'm noticing a lot of missed layups in transition.

Now, for the bad news. The rosters. It's going to be a huge assignment. Just going by KU's roster, no CJ Henry (Xavier's brother) and no Elijah Johnson (Vegas freshman). Instead, there are three crappy walk-ons. That's very disappointing.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Picked this up last night and had fun with it.

First game was ND @ Pitt (me). Varsity, no slider adjustments, 10 minute halves. Great game with over 12 lead changes. Went to OT, where I withered under the pressure and eventually lost by 5.

Second game was Pitt (me) @ Michigan. Bumped up the foul and fatigue sliders and used 15 minute halves. This was the opening round of the Old Spice Pre-Season Tourney. I inserted Pitt as the #8 seed. I hung with Michigan for the first 15 minutes, but they pulled away in the second half, eventually beating me by 20.

Random Notes:
- Graphic presentation aspects are as good as everyone has said
- Audio presentation is repetitive
- Crowd interaction is pretty good
- Player animations aren't as good as Live or 2K, but they get the job done
- Running the motion offense is a lot more fun than I expected

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

If anyone with a PS3 picks up this game, send me an invite. I'd love to try this out online.

I've been thinking about this game all day, wanting to play so badly. It's the first time in a long time a sports game other than MLB The Show has gripped me like this.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Dan, I got this for PS3 and will look for you. I'll be on/off all weekend and will also be staying local for Thanksgiving weekend.

I've only had it for one night, but I really enjoyed it. I kind of figured I would as I like Live 10. My biggest issue right now is that *I* can't get to the line. Upping the foul sliders, especially the in-air contact, gets the CPU plenty of free throw attempts, but I am only getting a few a game. The CPU probably doesn't jack up enough 3's, but I'm not that crazy about the short 3 point line in college basketball anyway so it doesn't bother me much.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

After reading a lot of pages of impressions over at OS I went ahead and bit and bought the game on Wednesday. Some of my concerns about the demo were alleviated in the OS threads. I have not played a whole lot, but am into the Dynasty mode right now. I DL'd the full roster names, which is very cool that they are already available. I really am enjoying the game so far. The problems such as lack of free throws are things that do not bother me in the least. The core game is fun to play and the presentation is cool. So far the rankings seem to be spot-on (no wonkiness yet). A lot of times EA sports games hook me for a few weeks then I tire of them. I am hoping NCAA will be different. The whole March Madness and rankings thing should give it legs to have lasting power if the gameplay continues to hold up.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Are you guys seeing any kind of transition game? i can't seem to get a fast break, break-a-way type play for the life of me. Seems like the defense is always back, no matter where on the court a turnover may occur.

I don't want to get to the rim at will, but I would like to seem some fast breaks and maybe open the gameplay up a little bit. An entire of game half court motion offense really isn't a good representation of college hoops.
GT = Wilk5280

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Wilk5280 wrote:Are you guys seeing any kind of transition game? i can't seem to get a fast break, break-a-way type play for the life of me. Seems like the defense is always back, no matter where on the court a turnover may occur.

I don't want to get to the rim at will, but I would like to seem some fast breaks and maybe open the gameplay up a little bit. An entire of game half court motion offense really isn't a good representation of college hoops.
I am getting quite a few fast breaks. I mainly get them when I steal the ball and then pass ahead to a breaking teammate. The CPU gets almost none against me.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

This game is starting to show its warts, especially after I rented and was in awe of NBA 2K10. Here are my main issues with this game:

Once the CPU throws it down in to the post, they always shoot. I have yet to see them kick it back out. It becomes predictable and relatively easy to block the shot.

I'm seeing some erratic shots from three being tossed up when being closely guarded. It's as if the CPU has one thing in mind. They don't seem to play all that intelligently.

With the foul slider maxed, I'm seeing very few fouls for both teams.

There seems to be too frequent of those canned animations when drawing contact while taking it to the basket.

Fatigue has to be maxed, and even then it doesn't seem to make a significant difference.

I'm hoping these things I've mentioned can be patched. If they can, I can see it being a more than solid college basketball game. Until then, 2K10 has been the bigger pull for me.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Aside from the presentation I think this game is a horrible POS

I'm sorry I traded in Live for this, I don't prefer the NBA at all but at least that game played well and was polished.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

So I finally ended up going for and winning a copy on ebay today and now the negative impressions come rolling in. :lol:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

vader29 wrote:So I finally ended up going for and winning a copy on ebay today and now the negative impressions come rolling in. :lol:
It's not all bad. I just played an enjoyable double overtime game against Oklahoma State on the road. All the while I kept playing, I kept saying to myself "Almost there, this game is almost there". It really does have a lot of potential and overall it is fun. I'm just a little miffed that the sliders don't seem to be as effective as they should. I should preface by saying I'm playing on Varsity, and perhaps moving up to All Conference will at least strengthen the CPU's intelligence. It's just annoying to see them shoot every time they throw it in to the post. It doesn't matter if they are double teamed.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal wrote:Aside from the presentation I think this game is a horrible POS

I'm sorry I traded in Live for this, I don't prefer the NBA at all but at least that game played well and was polished.
It's hardly a POS, but there are some issues with it.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

I just played a game using 15 min halves and that seems to give me outstanding stats. I shot 12 free throws versus the opponent shooting 9. That's not realistic but still enough FTs for me in a videogame. I had 6 fast breaks versus the CPU getting 2 in my latest game. Everything on default. I did the Maui Classic. Cool how they play Hawaiian music during breaks in play just like the ESPN telecast does in real life. I've been trying to use the motion offense a lot depending on whether it's against zone or man to man defense. It really does work brilliantly. You are rewarded for running it right and setting up open shooters. I also like the spacing on rebounds and the balance on offensive and defensive rebounds. The control is better in the final version of the game, but still could use a little quicker responsiveness on defense. I was a big fan of the 2K college games, but I have to admit this game blows them out of the water on the court. I don't demand a bunch of micromanaging piddly dynasty stuff so I am cool with the Dynasty options in NCAA 2010. Hopefully some of the niggling issues will be fixed in a patch. This is the most fun I've had playing a team-based sports game this year, with the two soccer games coming in second.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

sportdan30 wrote:
Danimal wrote:It's hardly a POS, but there are some issues with it.
We'll just agree to disagree, Let me just say in just my first game I saw 7 passes to guys out of bounds.

In my 3rd game I saw the CPU needing a 3 to tie the game at the end of regulation run their normal offense for 23 second and then try a layup.

The AI on the human players side never collapses with back side help on guys driving the lane.

For whatever reason fouls are not called in the second half, you can bump up the foul slider to 90 or 100 (which you have to) to get fouls in the first half but in the second the refs always swallow their whistles.

Those to me are fundamental game play issues I'm not even factoring in the terrible player models and the bad animation, neither of which comes close to Live.
Follow Me on:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Are you playing on All-Conference Danimal? From what I read (whether it's true or not), the CPU is more intelligent about late game decisions.

The effectiveness of the sliders is a bit let down. I'm hoping this can be patched sooner than later. I can't standing having to foul the CPU 7 times within the last minute or so of the game to stop the clock.

I've seen the pass made out of bounds, but only once a game with 10 minute halves.

I like the responsiveness of the player control much better in this game than in Live. Now of course, the player models are better in Live and there are more animations, but that is to be expected.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Tough call for me. I like the game enough to wait on a possible patch or slider/setting revelation (especially regarding the CPU never passing from the post issue), but I believe the resale value of this puppy is going to fall quickly. Luckily, I didn't pay full retail, but I'm still tempted to cut my losses quickly. I could handle "Live 10 with college uniforms", but this game is lagging behind in several key areas.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

You would think that after seeing other EA games patched for ineffective sliders that the NCAA team would get the point before release. Sadly, with all of the layoffs and the way EA suits push more and more toward the bottom line I imagine that things are not going to get any better next year.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I picked it up yesterday just for sh*ts and giggles and I'm actually fairly impressed. It's almost identical to Live from a gameplay and control standpoint which is a good thing in my mind. I guess I just don't pay attention to the things that are pissing Dan off...the fouls at the end of games are a little ridiculous though...I'll give you that.

Needless to say, I'll probably sell Live now and keep 2k10 for NBA and use the Live engine for NCAA. NCAA 2k8 is getting a little long in the tooth, even with the updated rosters...I just don't think I can play it for another season (it's been 3 already!).

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I can look past the fouls and repetitive animations, but the thing that pisses me off the most is that when the CPU passes the ball in to the post, they always shoot. Not every so often, always. They never look to kick it back out to the perimeter. I'm hoping this can be fixed via a patch.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Wasn't the first update or whatever they call it dynamic fix suppose to be out today?
Follow Me on:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal wrote:Wasn't the first update or whatever they call it dynamic fix suppose to be out today?
It is out today. The rankings are updated, and the authentic schedules are out as well. In addition, some people are reporting that some teams are seeing new plays added.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

sportdan30 wrote:It is out today. The rankings are updated, and the authentic schedules are out as well. In addition, some people are reporting that some teams are seeing new plays added.
My understanding is this works just like NHL, it affects sliders, rosters etc. Pretty much making the game better all the time.

Look I don't actually blame EA Canada on this one, they did the best they could and it's a game I can enjoy for a pick up game here and there. But we know this game got no production budget, and whatever it did was spent on the presentation. On a whole I think EA Canada is one of the best developers out there and given another year or so could make this game special.
Follow Me on:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Agreed Dan. I'm trying to reach out to one of the EA devs over at OS regarding some questions I have. I'm hoping we get some kind of interaction. But at the very least, this game is decent for pick up and play purposes (probably better online), while the other two b-ball games at this point provide a better all around game.