College Football 2009

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

College Football 2009

Post by kevinpars »

I searched and didn't see a thread and figured we needed one.

I want to see at least a few minutes of the Syracuse game. I am intrigued about seeing a point guard under center. I also wonder how a player who looked slow on the bb court looks on the football field. I don't know how PK feels, but what I have seen about the new Orange coach sounds good. He is a Syracuse man who seems to have wanted nothing more than to coach this team. In a world where most coaches seem to be working toward the next job, that makes me want to see him get this program back on track. It would also make the Big East a lot more interesting if Syracuse matters again.

I am interested in the Georgia - O State game as well. Interesting spot for both teams.

Considering that my highlight of last year's FSU-Miami game was seeing Stacy Dales looking like a drowned rat after the torrential downpour in the Orange Bowl, I have low hopes for this year's game. As much as I hate to say it, it is UF and everyone else in the Speed state.

I also have low hopes for the Alabama - VT game. VT never handles the big stage very well and I think they will implode against the Tide. Another down year for the ACC.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Missouri - Illinios

Heading down to the Edwards Jones dome in a little more than 1 hour.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: College Football 2009

Post by pk500 »

kevinpars wrote:I want to see at least a few minutes of the Syracuse game. I am intrigued about seeing a point guard under center. I also wonder how a player who looked slow on the bb court looks on the football field. I don't know how PK feels, but what I have seen about the new Orange coach sounds good. He is a Syracuse man who seems to have wanted nothing more than to coach this team. In a world where most coaches seem to be working toward the next job, that makes me want to see him get this program back on track. It would also make the Big East a lot more interesting if Syracuse matters again.
Marrone has said and done all the right things. He also seems to have much more intensity, organization and passion than the comedy of errors that was the Greg Robinson Era.

But Marrone's discipline also has run off somewhere between 15 and 18 scholarship players from the team since this spring. And this team's offensive line is absolutely horrific.

The Paulus experiment will be VERY interesting. He's such a natural athlete and a very smart kid. That will go a long way toward helping him acclimate to Division I-A football.

And the kid was a big-time QB stud in high school. It's funny: I watched a live broadcast last night of the opener of our village's high school team, which supposedly has the best QB in our section. The kid is good, but he looks nowhere near as good as Paulus did when he was a senior in high school.

Syracuse will go 3-9 this season, but hopefully with some building blocks for the future. Hate to admit it, but I took Minnesota -6.5 today. But it will be nice to see the Dome full for the first time since John Kerry was fighting off Swift Boat accusations during his presidential campaign.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

What a crazy finish in Iowa just now. Northern Iowa, down by 1, gets the ball into field goal range with 7 seconds left. The field goal attempt is blocked and everybody assumes the game is over. Since the ball never crossed the line-of-scrimmage and they recovered it they get the ball for 2nd down with 1 second left. They attempt the field goal again and it's blocked again to preserve the win for Iowa. Just crazy.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

ScoopBrady wrote:What a crazy finish in Iowa just now. Northern Iowa, down by 1, gets the ball into field goal range with 7 seconds left. The field goal attempt is blocked and everybody assumes the game is over. Since the ball never crossed the line-of-scrimmage and they recovered it they get the ball for 2nd down with 1 second left. They attempt the field goal again and it's blocked again to preserve the win for Iowa. Just crazy.
I was just stunned when they ruled they got to try the field goal again. I've never seen anything like that in my life, if they would have lost on the second field goal try it would have been one of the most painful losses ever for me. Wow!

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

HipE wrote:I was just stunned when they ruled they got to try the field goal again. I've never seen anything like that in my life!
Hipe, you don't remember this game?

http://www.cleveland.com/brownshistory/ ... ROWNS.html

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

Leebo33 wrote:
HipE wrote:I was just stunned when they ruled they got to try the field goal again. I've never seen anything like that in my life!
Hipe, you don't remember this game?

http://www.cleveland.com/brownshistory/ ... ROWNS.html
Wow, I completely forgot about that game. It is pretty similar, with the difference I guess being that Iowa could have easily recovered the block, but they waved off all of the players surrounding the ball, allowing Northern Iowa to recover a kick they had no business recovering. But I guess this shows the difference between the Hawkeyes and the Browns, as I'm sure Cleveland would have allowed that second field goal to be made today. This is a double win for me now, getting an amazing Iowa win, and the memory of another humiliating Browns loss to the Steelers. :D

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Damn....Nice win BYU!!! What a game!
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Zlax45 wrote:Damn....Nice win BYU!!! What a game!
Yeah, but ESPN's ticker says...BYU defeats Oklahoma after Bradford is injured"

Hopefully this continues the push for the MWC and the WAC to get automatic berths.

How bad is the ACC? William and Mary beats Virginia at Virginia; Duke loses at home to Richmond; and Maryland is getting absolutely hammered at Cal. But hey, they will still get the auto birth :roll:

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

pigpen81 wrote:

Hopefully this continues the push for the MWC and the WAC to get automatic berths.

How bad is the ACC? William and Mary beats Virginia at Virginia; Duke loses at home to Richmond; and Maryland is getting absolutely hammered at Cal. But hey, they will still get the auto birth :roll:
I have season tickets at Boston College and I thought the move to the ACC was a good move as we will see better teams coming in but it has been a failure as the ACC is terrible. You know what makes the ACC terrible is the fact that FSU and Miami have been bad recently. They are not competing for national championships anymore.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Just remember that Utah KILLED Bama last season in the Sugar Bowl by a score of 31-17...That is an SEC squad that went to the SEC championship game.....

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zlax45 wrote:I have season tickets at Boston College and I thought the move to the ACC was a good move as we will see better teams coming in but it has been a failure as the ACC is terrible.
I doubt it's worse than the Big East, another conference that doesn't deserve an automatic BCS bid.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I just bought tickets for the ND/Pitt game in November. It should be fun!

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

How bad is the ACC? William and Mary beats Virginia at Virginia; Duke loses at home to Richmond;
While i agree, Richmond and W&M could probably beat half of the Div. I programs in the country.

As far as Cal goes, Jahvid Best is Heisman quality. If the kids stays healthy he's going to be beastly all season.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

pigpen81 wrote:

And Virginia Tech gets absolutely hammered by Alabama in a game that was nowhere near as close as the final score.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hey, at least the ACC-Big East showdowns are good in hoops ... :)

Take care,
PK

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Badgun wrote:
pigpen81 wrote:

And Virginia Tech gets absolutely hammered by Alabama in a game that was nowhere near as close as the final score.
Lets be honest...the SEC got hammered by Ok State last night...

I think we need to give the Mountain West Conference champ this year in the National Championship game if they are undefeated. That would mean TCU, Utah, or BYU knocked off both of their opponents.

TCU plays @ Clemson in a couple of weeks
BYU hosts FSU also
Utah also goes to Oregon

Of course they all play against each other...

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

This conference is better than that conference yada yada yada. I do it all the time as well. Hating on conferences is fun! It does spark interest in the game. Interest does translate into money.

Sadly to get a true champion we need playoffs!
It is frustrating to me that championships are decided by the media and scheduling done 4-5 years in advance instead of by the players on the field.

As long as the NCAA and the big conferences keep cashing in a playoff will always be dead.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

XXXIV wrote:This conference is better than that conference yada yada yada. I do it all the time as well. Hating on conferences is fun! It does spark interest in the game. Interest does translate into money.

Sadly to get a true champion we need playoffs!
It is frustrating to me that championships are decided by the media and scheduling done 4-5 years in advance instead of by the players on the field.

As long as the NCAA and the big conferences keep cashing in a playoff will always be dead.
and that is the sad part

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Another Classic UM vs FSU game. A nail biter down to the wire 38-34 Canes.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

I thought Bobby Bowden was the one who was supposed to be old and confused, but Jimbo Fisher did a lousy job of calling plays on that last series of plays on the goal line. I was saying earlier in the game that Ponder is not very good when he rolls out and that was not a very good pass to end the game.

But at least it was a good game to watch unlike some of the recent games in the rivalry. The defenses were not very good, but at least it looks like both teams have some skill players. That Miami QB is one cool customer. He impressed the hell out of me.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

That was awesome.

And Kevin, you should HATE Fortson. That guy is terrible. He dropped a TON of balls in that game...what, maybe 4? That last one was on the money, he just dropped it. That wasn't on Ponder. That kid is actually LEGIT. I love watching him throw.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Great game last night on ESPN! (FLA St vs Miami)

On that last drive by FL ST, where was the pass interference that put them on the 1? I saw nothing on the replays, but they were focusing on the QB.

That FL St receiver should have caught that ball. Yes it was low, but very catchable, IMO.

GO GATORS!!!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I felt bad for Erin Andrews last night. As usual she acted like a real pro even though most of the country has probably watched her video. Still can't get over the Canes getting a win especially with their tough schedule. I'm happy for UM Alumni and HC Randy Shannon, looks like he's bringing in the right players.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wait, why do you feel sorry for Erin Andrews? She leaked that sh*t...guaranteed. Why else do you go and book an appearance on Oprah to tell your story? She's the Paris Hilton/Kim Kardasian of sports sideline reporting. No discernible talent besides looking pretty good...she just wants to make an even bigger name for herself and she didn't want to actually fornicate on film...that's the only difference between her and the aforementioned attention whores.