Soccer thread 09/10 (contains spoilers)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

RobVarak wrote:Jozy moves to Hull City. Saw his tweet and had to look up the schedule to confirm too LOL.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_i ... -done.html

Liverpool buy Aquilani.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 186102.stm
Hope Altidore enjoys relegation struggles....Hull are doomed while Agent Orange is in charge.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

davet010 wrote:Lassana Diarra, who was there last year.

Alonso by himself does not make RM worse, but I feel (and most Liverpool fans would probably agree deep down) was that he merely acted as the link between Mascherano and Gerrard. That's OK if you have world class players to break up the play, but RM don't, hence my comment about Diarra.

No, the train wreck part is Jorge Valdano's comment that RM have now finished spending (ie have spent all the cash they raised over summer from the banks), and that the squad is now complete.

Given that their defence was crap last year (they lost the final 5 games, which was the worst sequence in their entire history), and has effectively been subtracted by losing Cannavaro and gaining Arbeloa and Albiol, then they have a midfield and forward line that cannot keep all of their purchases happy while still being weak at the back.

Now THAT's the train wreck. Perez has appointed a glove puppet manager with no experience of managing a circus like this (5 years at little Villareal punching above your weight doesn't compare), and his previous reign was notable for him putting his oar in at every opportunity. He'll be at it again, and 2 losses on the trot will have the white hankies out at the Bernabeu.
They also have Mahamadou Diarra to play as a DM, but who knows if he'll bounce back strong from the knee injury he suffered last year. But he did play that role successfully when Real Madrid won the league in 06-07 and 07-08.

I think Alonso's a more complete player than that - he had to be given that Mascherano only played 21 League games last season and Lucas is poor.

Is swapping Cannavaro for Albiol and Arbeloa really a downgrade? Cannavaro is almost 36 and way past his best.

I do agree that the lightweight manager means a trainwreck is pretty likely to happen in Madrid. But I think a better, more experienced manager could get a lot out of Real Madrid's current squad, even if it's not perfect.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Oh aye, forgot about the other Diarra. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Real declare their squad of 25 which is the La Liga max, as someone will have to drop for Alonso.

As for Cannavaro, you are right about his pace, but his ability to read the game partly made up for that, whereas Ramos has all the physical tools, but has no idea how to play the game. I'm not sure Arbeloa or Albiol has that either, so it'll be interesting to see who steps up to direct at the back.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

davet010 wrote:
RobVarak wrote:Jozy moves to Hull City. Saw his tweet and had to look up the schedule to confirm too LOL.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_i ... -done.html

Liverpool buy Aquilani.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 186102.stm
Hope Altidore enjoys relegation struggles....Hull are doomed while Agent Orange is in charge.
I actually think a relegation battle will be good for Altidore since we will be relying on him in South Africa next season.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

That's an interesting perspective. You'll just have to hope he doesn't catch a cold if Brown has them sitting on the grass having their halftime team talk, like he did at Eastlands last season.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

davet010 wrote:That's an interesting perspective. You'll just have to hope he doesn't catch a cold if Brown has them sitting on the grass having their halftime team talk, like he did at Eastlands last season.
If the team didn't look like such s***, they wouldn't be sitting on the grass.

Simply put, the kid is 19 or maybe 20. A three game group stage in SA won't seem so pressure packed after a 19 game or so every point is precious relegation battle. I remember Michael Bradley mentioning that he thought the relegation battle he was in with Mochengladbach helped him to mature as a player more than anything else in his career.
Plus, Altidore will get playing time at Hull. He wouldn't get it right away at Craven Cottage and he probably would be nothing more than a sub at Everton.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

A damp bum wont give you a cold Dave Come on, but being that close to all the germs on his stupid headset might :P

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

I can see your point, squid, it's merely a question of whether getting battered every week has a demoralising effect. I didn't realise he was only that age, it might be a good shop window for him.

If he wanted toughening up, he should have gone to a Championship team.

:)

PS - it's rumoured that Ashley has offered Joe Kinnear a 2 year contract as Newcastle manager. Won't be seeing them for a few years, then.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Just to brighten your days, here's another instalment of 'This Season's Crappiest Kits' - this week, Germany.

Two wonderful entries from VfL Bochum here...

I think the second one is an older kit....looks like someone halfway out of the closet at a Gay Pride march.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

ESPN has aquired the rights from Setanta to show the 7:45 am Sat. and 3pm Monday matches for the EPL starting this year in the US.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

fsquid wrote:ESPN has aquired the rights from Setanta to show the 7:45 am Sat. and 3pm Monday matches for the EPL starting this year in the US.
Interesting. Now I have to decide if I should drop Setanta, or if those Russian Premier Legaue games are really important to me. :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

RobVarak wrote:
fsquid wrote:ESPN has aquired the rights from Setanta to show the 7:45 am Sat. and 3pm Monday matches for the EPL starting this year in the US.
Interesting. Now I have to decide if I should drop Setanta, or if those Russian Premier Legaue games are really important to me. :)
Setanta still going over there ? Here they've gone bust, and I have to subscribe to ESPN to get the last package of live Premiership games, but since that keeps me with live baseball and college football, that's not too bad.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

They're still going, although I suspect that selling off the rights to those choice games doesn't bode well for their long-term survival. It's pricey as hell, but it was worth it to make sure that I got damn-near every Liverpool game.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

From the BBC:
Everton's plans for a new stadium in Kirkby are on hold because the site is currently occupied by voles. The rodents are protected by law and have to be rehoused before work can begin on the 50,000 seat venue.
Can't they just send Phil Neville in to negotiate with his bretheren?

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Setanta US and Setanta Ireland actually make a profit. Setanta is keeping the rights in the US to the 10am Sat. kickoff, 8:30am Sunday kickoff, and the midweek games. So I don't see them going away quite yet. I keep them for the rugby and the Championship.

miget33
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by miget33 »

speaking of the Championship, does Newcastle have a manager yet?

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

RobVarak wrote:From the BBC:
Everton's plans for a new stadium in Kirkby are on hold because the site is currently occupied by voles. The rodents are protected by law and have to be rehoused before work can begin on the 50,000 seat venue.
Can't they just send Phil Neville in to negotiate with his bretheren?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

miget33 wrote:speaking of the Championship, does Newcastle have a manager yet?
Newcastle United have no manager and have just sold half of their first-choice defence, the bad news being that it's the half that appeared to have some idea of what it was doing, Bassong and Beye. Otherwise, all is rosy in the garden.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

GB_Simo wrote:
Newcastle United have no manager and have just sold half of their first-choice defence, the bad news being that it's the half that appeared to have some idea of what it was doing, Bassong and Beye. Otherwise, all is rosy in the garden.
If they have a lousy start of the season, they might as well follow the footsteps of Leeds U. On a bright spot there's a potential bid from tycoon Barry Moat who would favor the return of A. Shearer as manager.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

M. Demichelis' ankle injury is a big blow for both Bayern and Argentina's National team as they prepare to face Brazil for the WC qualies.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

10spro wrote:
GB_Simo wrote:
If they have a lousy start of the season, they might as well follow the footsteps of Leeds U. On a bright spot there's a potential bid from tycoon Barry Moat who would favor the return of A. Shearer as manager.
Other than his name, Shearer did nothing last season to indicate that he has the tactical nous to be a good manager. Plus he'll have no chance to bring in transfers unless funds are injected quickly, so he'll be stuck with what's left there now. I think he'd be happier back on the pundit sofa.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Went to see Toronto FC vs. Real Madrid and saw Xabi Alonso's debut. Ladyboy got a nice goal and it was good to see Toronto FC take part in charity work as they actually allowed Chad Barrett to run onto the same field as professional footballers....

Highlight of the night was seeing the expression on the face of a little boy (wearing a Ronaldo jersey) when my beloved sister kept screaming out "Marvell, break his f***in legs!" every time Ronaldo got the ball. She's a classy broad. :)

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Macca00 wrote: Highlight of the night was seeing the expression on the face of a little boy (wearing a Ronaldo jersey) when my beloved sister kept screaming out "Marvell, break his f***in legs!" every time Ronaldo got the ball. She's a classy broad. :)
Awesome!! :)

miget33
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by miget33 »

Hoffenheim just got screwed out of an early goal

BTW espn360 showing the Bayern game as well as the Newcastle game.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Thatks for the heads-up. It's great that Comcast got ESPN360 just in time for football season.