OT: "Golf Talk" - Tournaments, Pro's, Equip., etc.

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: OT:

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Teal wrote:HOLY COW, WHAT A SHOT OUT OF THE WOODS BY BUBBA!
+1. Loved the finish today. LOVED it...

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

That was awesome. One of the best ever. BUBBA!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

If I could recover like Bubba did, I'd score better in Tiger...lol
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Teal wrote:If I could recover like Bubba did, I'd score better in Tiger...lol
:D
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'm not a big Bubba fan for reasons I won't get into but that was an exciting final day of the Masters and Louis's shot was awesome to see. Kuchar almost did the same thing later in the round.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

That was one of the more compelling sports events on TV I can remember in a while. Very, very entertaining, and I'm not a golf fan.

Call it the Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 CE effect! :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

I was actually going to search for this thread tonight. Question for you regular players. It's time for new sticks, irons and woods, and need some thoughts on top sets to consider. I'm playing Ping G2's for irons and Cleveland woods now but no real allegiance to the brands. Wedges are staying in the bag as they are both Vokey wedges. Cost is not a concern as I'm trading in my set and also have a few sets from my dad to trade as well. Handicap is about 14-15 but was around 10 a few years ago. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RallyMonkey wrote:I was actually going to search for this thread tonight. Question for you regular players. It's time for new sticks, irons and woods, and need some thoughts on top sets to consider. I'm playing Ping G2's for irons and Cleveland woods now but no real allegiance to the brands. Wedges are staying in the bag as they are both Vokey wedges. Cost is not a concern as I'm trading in my set and also have a few sets from my dad to trade as well. Handicap is about 14-15 but was around 10 a few years ago. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.
Club tech changes so frequently the only thing you can do is go to a shop that has a range inside to try them out. Also find a spot that rents sets. Your handicap is good enough where you need to find a set that fits your swing speed and power. We cannot even come close to doing that on a forum. You need pros that can analyze your swing. It's worth the price and time to do it at a shop compared to just randomly picking up a set that you have to adjust to.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

RallyMonkey wrote:I was actually going to search for this thread tonight. Question for you regular players. It's time for new sticks, irons and woods, and need some thoughts on top sets to consider. I'm playing Ping G2's for irons and Cleveland woods now but no real allegiance to the brands. Wedges are staying in the bag as they are both Vokey wedges. Cost is not a concern as I'm trading in my set and also have a few sets from my dad to trade as well. Handicap is about 14-15 but was around 10 a few years ago. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.
I am around + 14 and play about 22 rounds in a year. I am currently using all TM brand with the exception of my wedges. When it comes to the big driver, I find that they are the best. A friend of mine wanted a different shaft on his R-11 irons so I got a good deal from him and I've been using them since. They offer a good bakance and are long and quite forgiving. I hear the new Adams are nice but if you want to keep up with the Ping brand, the G20's are nice too. Can't overlook Mizuno either, as it was going to be my brand of choice for the irons, tried their blades and I love their buttery forged feel.

Whatever choice you come up with, go tried them at the local store and have a Pro adjust the angle of your irons if the need be.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

What I liked about today's Masters is that a different player would come up with a shot more extraordinary than the previous guy. Kuchar's putting on the 13th from below the fringe comes to mind from an impossible angle, Louis' double Eagle and for Bubba to hook his shot when most people are just content in playing it safe was amazing. Oosthuizen played very solid and I thought he won it on the first playoff hole. That birdie putt probably missed by a hair. An exciting finish.

orthostud23
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by orthostud23 »

Not sure what your price range is or how deep the pockets go but I just bought a set from Gigagolf.com. Take a look. Great deals!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:
I am around + 14 and play about 22 rounds in a year. I am currently using all TM brand with the exception of my wedges. When it comes to the big driver, I find that they are the best. A friend of mine wanted a different shaft on his R-11 irons so I got a good deal from him and I've been using them since. They offer a good bakance and are long and quite forgiving. I hear the new Adams are nice but if you want to keep up with the Ping brand, the G20's are nice too. Can't overlook Mizuno either, as it was going to be my brand of choice for the irons, tried their blades and I love their buttery forged feel.

Whatever choice you come up with, go tried them at the local store and have a Pro adjust the angle of your irons if the need be.
The G20's are supposed to be sick. Can't go wrong with TaylorMade Woods. The R11(S) and the new RocketBallz are adjustable. I love my RBZ 3 Wood.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I would say that biggest thing beyond just the feel for the club is making sure the shaft, lie and loft etc is tailored to your swing. You're probably close to the point where things like this can take over shots a round.

In order of importance...

1) Shaft Flex.
Too weak and you can hook a lot more shots than you know. Too stiff and the club will never come around leaving you open for slicing.

2) Lie and angle. When you buy a set of clubs, the first thing you should do is take them to a pro to check lie and loft. I had a set when I bought them where my 5-i and 4- were almost the same in loft.

And make sure your woods have the right shaft in them. I think many high handicappers have the wrong shaft and then learn terrible swing habits to over compensate.

In golf, brands don't mean anything, get the set that feels and looks good. By that I mean, a long time ago, I bought a driver that I had a hard time lining up straight. I never really felt confident hitting it.

I would get your swing measured by a good pro. It doesn't take but 5 minutes but can shave 2-4 shots off your game per round.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

I should have been more specific, my apologies. I'm simply looking for thoughts on a few sets to consider first when I walk into the shop for the first time in years. Its just overwhelming to walk in, stare at 50 sets and then hit 50 irons over the course of two hours. Was asking for help in trying narrow the field.

I play stiff flex, 2 degree flat with my irons and stiff flex on my woods. My swing speed is crazy fast and that comes from my years as a hockey player learning to "get the shot away", but I've honed it where it ain't pretty but works.
Diablo25 wrote:
10spro wrote:

The G20's are supposed to be sick. Can't go wrong with TaylorMade Woods. The R11(S) and the new RocketBallz are adjustable. I love my RBZ 3 Wood.
Thanks guys.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Bubba. :wink:

[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

That was disturbing... :lol:
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Ben Crane has a few other videos up on YouTube that I think are pretty funny. Look up his workout one. He's become one of my favourite golfers on the PGA, just because he seems like a funny down to earth guy (like Bubba).......

One thing I didn't know before yesterday, apparently Bubba has never taken a lesson in his life. I wonder if that will have any ripples down the line, as I think golf is one sport where you can get too caught up in the details........
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Gangrel wrote: One thing I didn't know before yesterday, apparently Bubba has never taken a lesson in his life. I wonder if that will have any ripples down the line, as I think golf is one sport where you can get too caught up in the details........
He stopped taking lessons when he was 10 or something. While still impressive it's not like no one ever taught him how to play the game.
Follow Me on:

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Ok Dan what is your beef with Bubba now i want to know. :D
Epic Masters ,what a shot by Bubba, thought Oozfarfegnugen was a shoe in after seeing where they both ended up on them drives, truly an awesome day and was touched by bubbas reaction to winning.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Ok Dan what is your beef with Bubba now i want to know. :D .
Personally none. I just know a few people that said he was a prick. I have never approached him. I have had interactions with other golfers and for the most part PGA professionals are very nice although I could tell you a story of how I got in a stare down with David Duval LOL. However from people I know his good old boy image doesn't jive with their first hand experiences.

That said I don't have a beef to be honest. I just said I am not his biggest fan. I thought he caught some incredibly lucky breaks yesterday but that is golf in a nut shell. Personally I am a McIlory fan.
Follow Me on:

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

Wow--I still play the G2 driver...going to upgrade this year.

Im an honest 15, play 30 times/year. Last year I upgraded my old mizuno mx 23 to the MP 53. The 53 is a players iron...but their entry level players iron. Spent days comparing it versus the JPX800 pro which is mizunos game improvement. The MP53 is a fantastic club.

Go to golfwrx.com and search the equipment forums....or for a mizuno love fest....hit up the mizuno forums.

I can only speculate as to why more tour pros don't play mizunos but I have never heard anyone not like the irons. Was told once that Tigers first Nike irons were actually mizunos....
Tony

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Danimal wrote:
Jimmydeicide wrote:Ok Dan what is your beef with Bubba now i want to know. :D .
Personally none. I just know a few people that said he was a prick.
Exactly the same reason why I have never liked Tiger. More people are learning that now since he has lost a lot of his game. I am from Augusta and though I have never met him, I know many people who have and none of them have anything good to say.

But that is not why I really wanted to post. I just wanted to say a few things about the Augusta National course. I have been to the Masters many times ( I get tickets every year). I don't know if I will go again since the tickets bring aprox @2500 each and the face value is only $200. The opportunity cost for going is crazy. I could take that money, go to HI for a week and have cash left over.

Over the past few years the National has used shell companies to purchase many of the houses around the course. The houses have been torn down so people could park (for free). The shell companies were used to prevent the artificial raising the price of the houses.

The only bad thing about this is many people that lived nearby and businesses are now losing money from parking (people use to pay them to park).

Food and beer on the course is dirt cheap. The last time I went you could get an awesome chicken sandwich for around $2. A cup of beer was also $2 and a bad of chips, $1. They are about cache and not cash. I would guess the same stuff at a football or baseball game would cost 4x as much.

The course itself is very pretty, some of the best looking grass I have ever seen. I was actually invited to play almost 20 years ago and I turned it down. I did play some golf back then but I sucked really bad so I did not want to embarrass myself. Now, I wish I would have played so I could say I played the most famous golf course in the world.... at least once..

Other cool things the National does. If you get tickets, and YOU are the ticket owner, you can bring in a minor for free and without a badge. So, in a couple of years, if my wife and I wanted to go, we could bring our son and I could get him in without a ticket. You have to be the ticket owner to take advantage of this deal though.

BD
XBL: bdunn13
PSN: bdunn13

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Got my tickets for the 2013 Open at Merion in Philadelphia. Can't wait.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Wow, what a big collapse by the Aussie A. Scott who at one point was leading by 5-6 shots in the final round of the British open. Scott with that long putter was so solid until the final putt but his demise started around the 14th hole.

However, the big easy EE played consistently including sinking a birdie on 18 to put the pressure on the Aussie who eventually missed his par. Talk about drama, you saw it today at Royal Lytham.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

10spro wrote:Wow, what a big collapse by the Aussie A. Scott who at one point was leading by 5-6 shots in the final round of the British open. Scott with that long putter was so solid until the final putt but his demise started around the 14th hole.

However, the big easy EE played consistently including sinking a birdie on 18 to put the pressure on the Aussie who eventually missed his par. Talk about drama, you saw it today at Royal Lytham.
Scott looked like he lost his thumb stick stroke at the wrong time. I was happy for the winner but was more sad for the loser.