OT: "Golf Talk" - Tournaments, Pro's, Equip., etc.

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: "Golf Talk" - Tournaments, Pro's, Equip., etc.

Post by JackB1 »

With all the Tiger talk and the US Open this week, I thought I would test the waters for a "Golf Talk" thread, similar to the one's we have for NBA and NHL.

Looks like Tiger might already be out of it at Bethpage. He played the last 4 holes at 4 over and sounded very discouraged. He's still complaining about his "mudball". Rocco is playing well and I would love to see him have another shot this year. It's amazing they got that course even playable after the deluge of rain they got there.

Anyway, I am supposed to play some league golf tommorrow AM in the brutal Atlanta heat. I have been struggling with my driver lately and I got a new Mizuno MX-700 and so far so good. I love my irons, which are Adams A4 Tech's, but have been losing a lot of shots by not getting my tee ball in the FW's. I might just use my 3 wood tommorrow and see what happens.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I wouldn't count Tiger out at all. The conditions will deteriorate tomorrow so anything can happen. If he is "reasonably" close he is in the hunt.

I played a round today and shot fairly well. Had a horrible 5 hole stretch after almost acing the 5th hole. I was -1 after 5 and then didn't see a par for like 5 holes. Finished strong though (79). I am really liking my Ping Anser 2 putter. Just feels right in my hands.

I am so tempted to get a new driver. Calloway has a great deal going. Buy one of their drivers and get a 3 wood for $1...plus David Ledbeder's DVDs for free.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am pretty much done with getting new equipments. Decided to save the money for Pro lessons and working on the short game. I am a Taylormade guy and still happy with my 'Burners' and Titleist blade putter.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I don't know why anyone buys clubs without a pro looking them over for you.

All of my clubs are custom fit including my putter. I actually highly recommend making sure you have a pro fit a putter for you. It's amazing the lengths people go to for their irons and woods but then by any putter they can find off the rack.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Danimal wrote:I don't know why anyone buys clubs without a pro looking them over for you.

All of my clubs are custom fit including my putter. I actually highly recommend making sure you have a pro fit a putter for you. It's amazing the lengths people go to for their irons and woods but then by any putter they can find off the rack.
totally agree about the importance of getting clubs that fit. I dont know how many people I see out there using putters that have the toe up in the air or they are the wrong length for them.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I have a TaylorMade Burner driver, Burner rescue club, Snake Eyes irons that my old man made me and a Ping Eye putter that I've had since high school.

Any bad round I have, it certainly isn't the club. Hell even if I was still using my old Spalding Execs from back in my High School days and bad shots or rounds wouldn't be the fault of the clubs.

I used to shot 80-85 on par 72 course back when I played a lot. I'm 10 to 15 strokes over that regularly now. I just don't get out nearly enough, or hit the range and practice green like I used to.

I love playing, but I'm nothing more than a weekend warrior anymore, and even that's a stretch. :(

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

JackB1 wrote:
Danimal wrote:I don't know why anyone buys clubs without a pro looking them over for you.

totally agree about the importance of getting clubs that fit. I dont know how many people I see out there using putters that have the toe up in the air or they are the wrong length for them.

Do you know who Chee Chee Rodtiguez is? He was quite a good putter.
Think his toe was in the air.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
JackB1 wrote:

Do you know who Chee Chee Rodtiguez is? He was quite a good putter.
Think his toe was in the air.
Yes, I remember Chi Chi, but for most amatuer golfers, having the putter laying as flat as possible promotes a straight, end over end roll. There are exceptions.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Can anyone catch Barnes? He is 10 under right now?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

JackB1 wrote:Can anyone catch Barnes? He is 10 under right now?
What a difference a day makes. Along Glover, he's falling under the pressure although Lucas is still ahead by 2. Tiger finished even, but there are two southhpaws that are lurking dangerously, most noticibly Phil Mickelson who's playing out of his mind.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Go Phil. All I've got to go on is the updating scoreboard on top of espn.com.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Slumberland wrote:Go Phil. All I've got to go on is the updating scoreboard on top of espn.com.
Try this, it's what I've been following all morning: http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2009/06 ... .html#more

Call me a grouch, but I have never understood the Phil fascination, particularly with the NY audience.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

What's not to like about a personable, left-handed, soft-in-the-middle challenger to Tiger's robo-corporate dominance? Apart from his impending family-related sabbatical...

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

And don't count R. Duval out just yet. And yes, no doubt Phil is the sentimental favourite although he dropped a shot to Glover.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Phil blew it. That Tournament was his for the taking. Missing imprtant short putts continues to haunt Mickelson. Whenever he makes a great Eagle, you can be sure there is a missed 3 footer coming soon.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I really wanted to see Duval get it done. I hope this is a sign he is back on track.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Lets talk equipment.....what are you guys using?

Here is my bag:

Mizuno MX-700 Driver - 9.5
Wilson Fybrid 15 deg. 3 Wood
Mizuno MP FliHi 3 iron (steel)
Adams A4 Tech Irons 4-pw
Mizuno MP-T 53 deg, 58 deg
Cleveland Niblick 42 deg.
Odyssey Sabertooth 35"

I love my Adams irons and my Sabertooth putter. Everything else is up for discussion :)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Driver 10.5 ; Taylormade Burner
3 Wood and hybrid 21' TM Burner
Irons to pitch wedge: TM Burner
Loft and sand wedge: Tour Action Cleveland
Putter: Titleist Newport 2.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

10spro wrote:Driver 10.5 ; Taylormade Burner
3 Wood and hybrid 21' TM Burner
Irons to pitch wedge: TM Burner
Loft and sand wedge: Tour Action Cleveland
Putter: Titleist Newport 2.
The Burner driver is a extremely popular and friendly club.

The irons are a good all-around set that are probably made as a game-improvement club, but could really be used by most anyone. I really like the TM Tour Preferred irons.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

How's your Golf knowledge?

http://www.cincinnati.com/golf/golfquiz/html/brand.htm

If you select a wrong answer, the ball moves only so far down the fairway and stops and you are charged with one stroke.

Keep selecting the answers that you think are correct and the ball moves down the fairway until you get the right answer and the ball goes in the hole.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

What a beautiful day at Turnberry! Lot of players took advantage of the conditions and had a great round including veteran T. Watson. Last year it was the Shark's magical round at the Open, and today it was Watson's turn who had some nice long putts falling for him.

Conditions will change though as they usually do over the weekend for the Open, and that's when it'll get interesting. Rain and windy conditions will prevail and that's when maybe Tiger can claw back a bit as he had a bad round today.

This J. Daly can definitely rip the ball, his mental part of the game is what separates him from the rest, but if he plays like today, who knows.

Shot of the day goes to R. Goosen. From his knees and on a practically impossible angle from the deep bunker, he plays the ball just 2 feet of the hole.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

The one time I got to go to the Open it was 1994 at Turnberry. Really is a lovely place that is in the middle of nowhere.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

10spro wrote:What a beautiful day at Turnberry! Lot of players took advantage of the conditions and had a great round including veteran T. Watson. Last year it was the Shark's magical round at the Open, and today it was Watson's turn who had some nice long putts falling for him.

Conditions will change though as they usually do over the weekend for the Open, and that's when it'll get interesting. Rain and windy conditions will prevail and that's when maybe Tiger can claw back a bit as he had a bad round today.

This J. Daly can definitely rip the ball, his mental part of the game is what separates him from the rest, but if he plays like today, who knows.

Shot of the day goes to R. Goosen. From his knees and on a practically impossible angle from the deep bunker, he plays the ball just 2 feet of the hole.
Looking forward to watching some coverage on golf channel tonite when I get home.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Wow...Tiger might not make the cut! Unthinkable!

Tom Watson looked like he was going to fade down the leaderboard, but then he has a great back 9 and is still tied for the lead!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

That sound you hear is ABC's ratings plunging into the North Sea.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin