OT: "Golf Talk" - Tournaments, Pro's, Equip., etc.

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

My role model is, has been and always will be an 81-year-old dude from right here in suburban Syracuse, N.Y.: My father.

I don't need anyone else because he's a better man than any athlete, musician or celebrity in the world.

I can only hope my sons and daughter feel the same way about me. If they do, then I've done my time on Earth right.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

webdanzer wrote:Mickelson takes the masters, and the world goes 'Duh, yeah, THIS is the guy we should have been watching and rooting for...you know, the one whose family was fighting cancer...not the guy whose dick was battering through hordes of whores.'
I'm happy for him, too. Went to high school with him and he was a nice guy despite attracting a lot of buzz about his game even as a teenager.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Watched the highlights of Sunday on ESPN.com again this morning and felt that good karma again. A nice compliment to a cup of Tim Hortons coffee.

"Feel-good story" is such a cliche. But it definitely fit Sunday at Augusta, man.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

pk500 wrote: I can only hope my sons and daughter feel the same way about me. If they do, then I've done my time on Earth right.
I'm sure they do!

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

My son and I played 18 here http://www.mississippidunes.com/courseinfo.php this morning. 77 from the blues for me...81 from the whites for him. Not yet young man. :P Time to head to Target Field for Opening Day. Top this day off with the best 15-20 seconds of my wifes life tonight and a cold ass Guinness and it's damn near a perfect day.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

LOL...give her 30.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JackDog wrote:My son and I played 18 here http://www.mississippidunes.com/courseinfo.php this morning. 77 from the blues for me...81 from the whites for him. Not yet young man. :P Time to head to Target Field for Opening Day. Top this day off with the best 15-20 seconds of my wifes life tonight and a cold ass Guinness and it's damn near a perfect day.
Jay-zus, Jack-diggity, your stamina is increasing. I thought it used to be in the single digits! :) :) :)

Badger_Fan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by Badger_Fan »

JackDog wrote:My son and I played 18 here http://www.mississippidunes.com/courseinfo.php this morning. 77 from the blues for me...81 from the whites for him. Not yet young man. :P Time to head to Target Field for Opening Day. Top this day off with the best 15-20 seconds of my wifes life tonight and a cold ass Guinness and it's damn near a perfect day.
That's a fun course to play. For some reason I didn't know you were here in the Twin Cities. Have fun at Target Field. I'm setting the DVR to watch when I get home.
The sing-along songs'll be our scriptures.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

5 over par on a 6,500 yard course? If that's for real, that's an unbelievable score. How often do you play?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Got my first Eagle of the year yesterday on a 525 yard par 5. Flew it in from about 85 yards with a 60 degree wedge. Shot an 82, could of been better but I 3 jacked two holes. I just can never putt well in the beginning of the year, my back is just not in golf shape and it really kills my putting.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

JackB1 wrote:
5 over par on a 6,500 yard course? If that's for real, that's an unbelievable score. How often do you play?
I don't joke about Golf. I'll play in 5 morning leagues and 3 evening ones this season. I try to play 36 holes a day 6 days a week now that spring has sprung. I started playing when I was 15. Used to be a scratch golfer before Iraq. I had to totally rework my swing once I got back to playing again in 05. I started to get back into the 70's last year. I hope to continue cutting strokes and getting some of my distance back. It helps to have my son pushing me. So far so good.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Badger_Fan wrote:
That's a fun course to play. For some reason I didn't know you were here in the Twin Cities. Have fun at Target Field. I'm setting the DVR to watch when I get home.
It is a very fun course. I live in Lowertown St Paul. Right across from Mears Park. I'm a member of StoneRidge Golf Club in Stillwater. Your more than welcome to come out and tee em up with me and my son if you like. Let me know. I'm retired and can play anytime.

Target Field is great!! I've got tickets for Wednesday's game as well.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

dbdynsty25 wrote:LOL...give her 30.
Mins?? Hell to the no! I follow Bernie Mac's plan. 3 min tops. http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/8f20fe ... argoldmine
pk500 wrote: Jay-zus, Jack-diggity, your stamina is increasing. I thought it used to be in the single digits! :) :) :)
:lol: :lol:

Nothing good on TV makes Jack concentrate better. :wink:

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

JackDog wrote:
JackB1 wrote:
I don't joke about Golf. I'll play in 5 morning leagues and 3 evening ones this season. I try to play 36 holes a day 6 days a week now that spring has sprung. I started playing when I was 15. Used to be a scratch golfer before Iraq. I had to totally rework my swing once I got back to playing again in 05. I started to get back into the 70's last year. I hope to continue cutting strokes and getting some of my distance back. It helps to have my son pushing me. So far so good.
Good for you! I wasn't aware that you played so much golf. I have never even gotten close to low 80's but can consistently shoot a 90 playing once every couple months. I often wonder if and how much I would improve if I were able to play 4-5 times a week, but that won't happen until I retire and by then I will probably have a full set of hybrids, a mallet putter and a driver the size of football :)

I started enjoying golf a lot more once I accepted that every time I play,
I am going to hit a few bad shots, a few good ones and a buch of OK ones.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

JackB1 wrote:
Good for you! I wasn't aware that you played so much golf. I have never even gotten close to low 80's but can consistently shoot a 90 playing once every couple months. I often wonder if and how much I would improve if I were able to play 4-5 times a week, but that won't happen until I retire and by then I will probably have a full set of hybrids, a mallet putter and a driver the size of football :)

I started enjoying golf a lot more once I accepted that every time I play,
I am going to hit a few bad shots, a few good ones and a buch of OK ones.
It's a great game. Repetition helps without a doubt. Playing in the 90's is not a bad thing. Your better than most weekend golfers now. I know you love the game so I hope you can play 4-5 times a week some day soon.

Watching my son play has helped my game a lot. He plays boring golf. :wink: He keeps the ball in play. He doesn't hesitate to hit his 3 wood or 1 iron on a narrow par 4. He's thinking middle of the fairway and a 5 to 8 iron to the green. He never aims for the pin. Middle of the green is what he's looking at.

He also doesn't take a couple of minutes to put the ball in play.
He simply stands behind the ball for a few seconds to visualize where he would like to hit it. Addresses the ball, gives it a waggle or two and "Boom" off it goes. My 14 year old has taught me to KISS. KeepItSimpleStupid. :lol: He's broken 90 in less than 3 years of play. He damn near broke 80 today. Once he gets his putting touch where it needs to be I'm in trouble. I'm glad he plays so much baseball in the summer. It gives me one more year of bragging rights. :lol:

I've taught him my warm up and it seems to working out for both of us. 15 min hitting balls to loosen up only, not trying to work on any swing changes and then go spend 45 min chipping and putting.

Nothing wrong with hybrids and "Condo's" on a stick. My driver is almost as big as my son's head. :wink: Keeping plugging away and enjoying the game. You'll crack into the 70's. Fairways and greens brother.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

JackDog wrote:
Watching my son play has helped my game a lot. He plays boring golf. :wink: He keeps the ball in play. He doesn't hesitate to hit his 3 wood or 1 iron on a narrow par 4. He's thinking middle of the fairway and a 5 to 8 iron to the green. He never aims for the pin. Middle of the green is what he's looking at.

He simply stands behind the ball for a few seconds to visualize where he would like to hit it. Addresses the ball, gives it a waggle or two and "Boom" off it goes. My 14 year old has taught me to KISS. KeepItSimpleStupid. :lol: He's broken 90 in less than 3 years of play. He damn near broke 80 today. Once he gets his putting touch where it needs to be I'm in trouble. I'm glad he plays so much baseball in the summer. It gives me one more year of bragging rights. :lol:
Your son is right on the money with his way of playing. Golf is a game of minimizing errors and that is exactly his approach. I also like that he just gets up there and hits. I see SO MANY guys out there freeze over the ball like a statue for too long and it NEVER results in a good shot. You have got to be loose and visulalize the shot, think about your swing tempo and pull the trigger.

One thing that has helped me a lot is finding a song that has a tempo that coincides with my swing. I start singing or humming it to myself at address and begin my takeback on the same "note" or point in the song every time. Makes your tempo very consistent and thought-free. I even put the song on my cell phone and sometimes listen to it in between holes or right before starting to get the rythym in my head. It works wonders.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

It really doesn't matter how long you stand over the ball, it's called a pre-shot routine and muscle memory. Whatever works for you, just repeat it no matter what.

Personally I get behind the ball, look at my shot, take a swing back there and get up an hit. I played with a guy on Sunday who shot a 64 and he was over the ball a good 15-20 seconds before each shot. Drove me yucking nuts, but the guy shot a 64 so WTF do I know.
Follow Me on:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah...I just take one practice swing and then let her rip. I'm not good enough to spend 15 seconds over the ball. I figure I'm going to hit the shot I'm going to hit no matter what. As long as the routine is the same, it shouldn't matter how long you stand over it. I don't want to be "that" guy that takes too long to hit and still sucks. :)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I don't want to be "that" guy that takes too long to hit and still sucks. :)
We have a guy at my club who is like that, we call him "wiggles". Whats even worse is he is a bad golfer but has advice to spew out like he knows WTF he is talking about.
Follow Me on:

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Danimal wrote:It really doesn't matter how long you stand over the ball, it's called a pre-shot routine and muscle memory. Whatever works for you, just repeat it no matter what.

Personally I get behind the ball, look at my shot, take a swing back there and get up an hit. I played with a guy on Sunday who shot a 64 and he was over the ball a good 15-20 seconds before each shot. Drove me yucking nuts, but the guy shot a 64 so WTF do I know.
It's not really how long, but if you stand there frozen like a statue, it's tough to get moving and swing athletically. I agree, it's important to have the same routine....just like a foul shot in hoops. That way you don't have to "decide" each time when to swing. You start your routine and then the swing comes at the end of the routine automatically.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

JackB1 wrote: It's not really how long, but if you stand there frozen like a statue, it's tough to get moving and swing athletically. I agree, it's important to have the same routine....just like a foul shot in hoops. That way you don't have to "decide" each time when to swing. You start your routine and then the swing comes at the end of the routine automatically.
Oh well yes I agree with you. If someone just stands there and doesn't do anything yeah that is trouble.
Follow Me on:

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

JackB1 wrote:
JackDog wrote:

Your son is right on the money with his way of playing. Golf is a game of minimizing errors and that is exactly his approach. I also like that he just gets up there and hits. I see SO MANY guys out there freeze over the ball like a statue for too long and it NEVER results in a good shot. You have got to be loose and visulalize the shot, think about your swing tempo and pull the trigger.

One thing that has helped me a lot is finding a song that has a tempo that coincides with my swing. I start singing or humming it to myself at address and begin my takeback on the same "note" or point in the song every time. Makes your tempo very consistent and thought-free. I even put the song on my cell phone and sometimes listen to it in between holes or right before starting to get the rythym in my head. It works wonders.
This is what adults think that hitting it straight is good...well it is except for kids. When kids start golf the worst thing you can do is have them develop a swing that tries to hit it straight. The reason is that it's harder to develop a power swing than it is a "straight" swing. You can always learn to straighten out a golf ball but it's next to impossible to develop power late in development.

Kids should just be taught to hit the ball as hard as they can this way their golf muscles learn to hit it hard. Second they learn timing with a power swing which means everything from hips clearing, torque from the wrists in the downswing, and the other things associated with a power swing.

If I had a kid starting out golf or developing I would just tell him or her to swing as hard as they can and to work on short game. Otherwise you stunt the ability to develop power.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JRod wrote:This is what adults think that hitting it straight is good...well it is except for kids. When kids start golf the worst thing you can do is have them develop a swing that tries to hit it straight. The reason is that it's harder to develop a power swing than it is a "straight" swing. You can always learn to straighten out a golf ball but it's next to impossible to develop power late in development.

Kids should just be taught to hit the ball as hard as they can this way their golf muscles learn to hit it hard. Second they learn timing with a power swing which means everything from hips clearing, torque from the wrists in the downswing, and the other things associated with a power swing.

If I had a kid starting out golf or developing I would just tell him or her to swing as hard as they can and to work on short game. Otherwise you stunt the ability to develop power.
This whole post makes ZERO sense from a logic standpoint. I'll teach my kid to hit straight first, then I'll stick him in the gym.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I for one don't like to over analyze a shot. I am in the group that likes to pick a spot go to the T and rip it. Having said that, there are many guys in my club where they are quite methodical in their process and like to take their time to hit a shot whether it is with a driver, iron or putter. And those guys happen to have a lower handicap than I.

Playing hockey and soccer gets me the urge to get going all the time, and you can just rush a shot in golf. Ten seconds is OK, anything over and I'll blame the guy for cooling down my game. :)

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
JRod wrote:This is what adults think that hitting it straight is good...well it is except for kids. When kids start golf the worst thing you can do is have them develop a swing that tries to hit it straight. The reason is that it's harder to develop a power swing than it is a "straight" swing. You can always learn to straighten out a golf ball but it's next to impossible to develop power late in development.

This whole post makes ZERO sense from a logic standpoint. I'll teach my kid to hit straight first, then I'll stick him in the gym.
Well I'll cash in my single digit handicap. The gym has minimal effect on the golf swing. Power comes from torque that creates club head speed. Increasing gym strength can have the opposite effect because you may be stronger but your mobility is less.

Second the best long hitters in the game have incredible timing and create a lot of torque because of a large shoulder turn, cocked hands on the downswing and speedy hips where they turn quickly to generate power. If a kid doesn't learn these things and times it well it's next to impossible to learn this later on as the golf muscles and timing have developed and you have to relearn power which is almost impossible.

Once kids have reached high school, or if they get better and take lessons from teaching golf professinals, then the kids can reign in all that power. And they can swing at 80% or 90% where even hitting it easier results in a 290 yard drive but it's down the fairway. Whereas a straight hitter has to dig deep and take an unnatural swing to try to hit it 20 yards farther when needed.

In golf it's easier to learn to hit it straight than it is to hit it far.