I've lost my mind...

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

eman
Starting 5
Starting 5

I've lost my mind...

Post by eman »

Three weeks ago I noticed a good deal for the PS3 on dell.com - $329 plus tax for the new 80gb version. The ONLY reason I wanted the PS3 was for MLB the Show. I was dying to recapture the exhilaration I felt when playing HH on the PC circa 99-04.

Now for the "I'm f***in crazy/stupid part". I've played the game 3 times in the last 3 weeks and have probably logged a whopping 1hr of gameplay. My initial reaction is that I cant stand the load times and complete disconnect I get when hitting. I also hate the pitching meter bullshit, baserunning controls, and the fact that I have to worry about using the six axis controls to jump/dive when fielding.

Ok, now someone talk me off the ledge and back into reality before I jump off a bridge and retire from gaming completely.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Go with classic pitching and classic baserunning. I wasn't feeling the meter pitching either as I've grown tired of it. The new baserunning stinks plain and simple. The old stye baserunning is much simpler imo. I also switched to broadcast presentations to "few" instead of "normal" and "many". For me, it provides a better flow.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. I'm good and tired of FPS, RPG, and and most if not all racing games. So, I know where you are coming from in a way. And while I still enjoy gaming, I couldn't live without the blu-ray player. So, the PS3 is here to stay, in good times and in bad.

ansonlee
Mario Mendoza

Post by ansonlee »

I did the same thing. Got ps3 and the show and the game is good but so Boring to play. I also suck at it which is no fun.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

I am having the opposite experience. I am enjoying MLB and Hot Shots Golf and get plenty of time. Only thing bothering me is the annoying load times in MLB.

If you do not plan on watching a bunch of Blue Ray movies and the exclusives to Sony don't do it for you, the 360 seems to be the better bet for you.
[url=http://sites.google.com/site/bmdsooner/]My place for games![/url]

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

bdoughty wrote:I am having the opposite experience. I am enjoying MLB and Hot Shots Golf and get plenty of time. Only thing bothering me is the annoying load times in MLB.

If you do not plan on watching a bunch of Blue Ray movies and the exclusives to Sony don't do it for you, the 360 seems to be the better bet for you.
And if you do plan on watching a load of Blu-Ray movies, put down £150 for a proper entry-level player, which is significantly better at it than the PS3 nowadays.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

You also don't have to use the six axis controls for fielding -- R1 to jump and R2 to dive.

You can also set the game to fast play to skip all the cut scenes, although you lose any stat overlays during batter walkups.

I personally think its the greatest sports game ever made.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

davet010 wrote: And if you do plan on watching a load of Blu-Ray movies, put down £150 for a proper entry-level player, which is significantly better at it than the PS3 nowadays.
I haven't been following the standalone players. Are entry-level players BD-Live capable or upgradeable to future profiles?

I know there are some expensive Denons and maybe Pioneers (if they're still making electronics after dropping plasmas) which have all the BD features and probably faster processors but they need to get all the features down to the lower price levels.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Two main entry level players here in the UK are the Panasonic DMP-BD35 and the Sony BDP-S350, both of which are now selling at £150 over here.

These two are BD-Live capable, though the Panasonic is meant to be a little choosy. Both models have 2 or 3 firmware updates via the 'net, though it remains to be seen whether they will continue to get them once superceded by newer models.

As for future profiles etc - I'm not worrying too much, nor am I investing more than about £200 on one (I'm picking up the newer Sony S550 this week) - for the simple reason that I don't see BluRay having a very long lifetime as a delivery medium. Adoption has been extremely slow in Europe, the films are still pretty expensive, and to me it looks like the last fling of physical medial before on-demand streaming, assuming the various telecoms companies over here can get their collective fingers out.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I don't think the studios want to give up the physical media business any time soon.

Ideally, they'd entice people to stream or download media for portable devices but still get you to buy the media.

If physical media went away, that might make things more convenient with everything downloaded or streamed.

But I would guess that it'll be a long time before iTunes or some other service has a back title catalog as extensive as Netflix. Instead, they will dedicate most of the bandwidth and storage to new titles, like they do with PPV channels where they use up all the channels to run the same half-dozen to dozen movies instead of showing anything older.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Brando70 wrote:You also don't have to use the six axis controls for fielding -- R1 to jump and R2 to dive.
You can even take that one step further. When you are in a game, go to settings and you find an option that lets R1 handle both jump and dive, based on the situation.

It is kinda odd that you can find some new options, that can only be found when paused during a game.
[url=http://sites.google.com/site/bmdsooner/]My place for games![/url]