Zen Pinball (PS3)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Zen Pinball (PS3)

Post by GTHobbes »

I downloaded this the other day from the PS store and am really enjoying it. I do wish they had included some real tables (still waiting for a pinball game that will let me play my all-time favorite, Comet), but the tables that are there are all good ones and hopefully we'll get even more with future downloads. If you like pinball, this one's easily worth the $9.99 price, IMO.

Here's IGN's review, which I pretty much agree with (my score would probably be a little higher):

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/983/983659p1.html

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

If you're looking for real tables, Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection is eventually coming out on PS3 and 360. It will supposedly have a few extra tables, compared to the Wii version I'm playing now.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I just tried the demo last night and really liked it.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Can anyone compare this to Pinball FX on the 360?
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

They're giving away a free PSN game download this week, as a promotion with Sprint.

I think it's some kung-fu themed game or something.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

wco81 wrote:They're giving away a free PSN game download this week, as a promotion with Sprint.

I think it's some kung-fu themed game or something.
I believe that is only through tomorrow.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

It's Rag Doll Kung Fu, and has been free for a few days and I think tomorrow is the last day for it. I had already purchased it, and it is a blast. I was a big fan of Kung Fu Chaos on the original Xbox and this is the closest I've seen to it yet. My son love the dodgeball game in it.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

This game is from one of my clients. It's essentially Pinball FX 2.0, with some major feature upgrades like the Operator's Menu (advanced table settings, info, and configuration, like a real pinball table has), local "hot seat" multiplayer, more high score table types, analog ball launchers, multi-day online competitions, and a lot of smaller improvements and additions.

It's got 4 original tables vs. 3 that came with Pinball FX, and I think the themes and layouts in the new game are better.

There are a few bugs in the release version, from what I've read on message boards, but a patch should be out within a week. I think most of the issues are with multiplayer games.

There will be regular DLC, as with Pinball FX, probably at a faster rate as well. The Street Fighter table from Pinball FX will be the first DLC, and there are several other tables in production.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I see the 4 originals, but I don't see the tables that are on PinballFX for the 360. Are they unlockable, dlc, or something?

Didn't know that PB: HoF was coming to the 360. Can't wait as I have the PS2 version, but really like to compare scores with those of my friends online.

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

PRBoom wrote:I see the 4 originals, but I don't see the tables that are on PinballFX for the 360. Are they unlockable, dlc, or something?

Didn't know that PB: HoF was coming to the 360. Can't wait as I have the PS2 version, but really like to compare scores with those of my friends online.
Oh, the 3 tables from Pinball FX aren't coming to Zen Pinball, as far as I know. The reason I was comparing them is that with Zen Pinball you get 1 more table, plus better-designed tables, plus a bunch of new features, for the same price as Pinball FX. Pinball FX added a free dLC table, and it is going to get a (free) patch that adds most of these features, but that is a few months away.

The issue with getting real tables for Zen Pinball /Pinball FX is that they are just too expensive to license. Hopefully, the good reviews give us more leverage with the licensors. They were reluctant to put their tables on our platform with Pinball FX because it only had a 69 Metacritic rating.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I read your post wrong. For some reason I interpreted it 4 + the 3 from FX, not the way you wrote it. That's what I get for skimming the boards instead of actually reading them. :)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

PRBoom wrote:I read your post wrong. For some reason I interpreted it 4 + the 3 from FX, not the way you wrote it. That's what I get for skimming the boards instead of actually reading them. :)
You weren't the only one who read it that way!

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection is eventually coming out on PS3 and 360.
Murph, where's you hear this? And for the love of God why is "High Speed" not included in that collection?

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

PRBoom wrote:
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection is eventually coming out on PS3 and 360.
Murph, where's you hear this? And for the love of God why is "High Speed" not included in that collection?
Supposedlly, it will have all the Wii/PSP tables, plus it will add No Good Gophers, Medieval Madness & Tales of the Arabian Nights

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/puzzle/ ... /news.html?

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/143/14307127.html

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

PRBoom wrote:
Here's some screens of 360 and PS3 versions.

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/143/ ... mgs_1.html
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/143/14307129/imgs_1.html

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Zen Pinball is $4.99 till the end of the month.

Got it last night. Pretty sweet. Online too.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Zen Pinball (PS3)

Post by toonarmy »

Been spending most of my time with Marvel Pinball, but over the past week or so have been putting in a lot of time on Zen. I really like the 4 included tables, however I downloaded a couple new ones several days ago and have to say that Sorcerer's Lair may be my favorite table yet. Anyone looking to dl a table definitely should check this one out, as it has a ton of stuff to do on the table and is just plain cool. Excalibur is also very good.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

I did the same thing. I got tired of the Marvel tables and began playing Zen again. The only extra table I purchased was Sorcerer's Lair, which is great. I'd like to get a couple more for variety, but I'm not sure which ones. I don't want the Street Fighter one, that much I know.
-Matt

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

I got Paranormal and am having fun with it. It's not a very traditional table and is a nice change of pace from the other tables. I didn't like it at first, but it has grown on me. It's pretty cool to have stuff like the Loch Ness Monster, Chupacabras, and the Bermuda Triangle integrated into a pinball table. Sorcerer's Lair is still my favorite of the Zen add-on machines. I'm thinking about getting a another table tonight. Maybe the Mars table or Earth Defense. Not sure yet.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

I went ahead and chose to download the Mars table last night. There sure is a lot of open space in the lower half of the table, but the objectives are really cool, as is the overall ambiance of the table. IMO it's one of the easier tables and good for long games without losing balls.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

The new table for Zen (also for FX2), Epic Quest, was released early this week and I got it and put in a few hours. I have to say it is the best table to date. Not only is the table itself well designed, but it combines RPG elements well. You accumulate things like HP and items from one game to the next. The leveling up and spell system is integrated well considering this is a pinball game. For $2.49 you really cannot go wrong with this awesome table.

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

Glad you're enjoying Epic Quest! I wrote most of the voiceovers, since I am one of two people at the company whose native language is English.

I've also been playing Pinball Arcade lately on iOS. Some classic tables that remind me of when I was a kid trying to scrounge up enough quarters to get one game of pinball in at the arcade.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

FatPitcher wrote:Glad you're enjoying Epic Quest! I wrote most of the voiceovers, since I am one of two people at the company whose native language is English.

I've also been playing Pinball Arcade lately on iOS. Some classic tables that remind me of when I was a kid trying to scrounge up enough quarters to get one game of pinball in at the arcade.
You did a great job with the voice overs. Some of the lines are really funny. The table has a real charm to it. I got into the top 400 today on the leaderboard and am at level 16, so I have a ways to go I assume. Pinball Arcade looks cool. Can't wait to get it on one of the handhelds or console.

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

toonarmy wrote:
FatPitcher wrote:Glad you're enjoying Epic Quest! I wrote most of the voiceovers, since I am one of two people at the company whose native language is English.

You did a great job with the voice overs. Some of the lines are really funny. The table has a real charm to it. I got into the top 400 today on the leaderboard and am at level 16, so I have a ways to go I assume. Pinball Arcade looks cool. Can't wait to get it on one of the handhelds or console.

Yeah...the max level is 100, so you still have room to progress.

Zen Pinball 2 coming late spring/summer, should allow for free import of marvel/zen1 content, support 3d tvs, update the physics, new ui, etc. Vita and PS3. We haven't formally announced it yet - you heard it here first!

We also have a couple other games coming out this year on vita/ps3. One is my first original game concept to be produced, a beat-matching game that instead of bars or arrows as the rhythm cues has actual 3d characters engaging in some kung fu-like combat (their position on the screen tells you the timing of button presses).

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

FatPitcher wrote:
toonarmy wrote:

Yeah...the max level is 100, so you still have room to progress.

Zen Pinball 2 coming late spring/summer, should allow for free import of marvel/zen1 content, support 3d tvs, update the physics, new ui, etc. Vita and PS3. We haven't formally announced it yet - you heard it here first!

We also have a couple other games coming out this year on vita/ps3. One is my first original game concept to be produced, a beat-matching game that instead of bars or arrows as the rhythm cues has actual 3d characters engaging in some kung fu-like combat (their position on the screen tells you the timing of button presses).
Sounds fun on all fronts. Very happy to hear that Zen 2 will be coming out with new physics. Still looking very forward to the Vita version of Zen Pinball.