IPhone/ITouch/IPad Game App Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: IPhone/ITouch/IPad Game App Thread

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:Find my Mac is not new.

My iMac is still running 10.8 and its on there. My iPhone 5s is still on iOS 7 and sees it.

I have some iOS apps and os x applications which are not compatible with the latest OSes, including my photo software.

Being able to answer phone calls on my iMac is not a big enough draw for me to upgrade and lose the compatibility.
OK thanks, it's been awhile since I owned a Mac. I bought one last year and didn't see it during the setup with Mountain Lion or Mavericks. When it flashed up on the screen during the Yosemite setup I thought it was a new feature.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I've had my iPhone 6+ for a week and I'm sending it back for one with more storage. It took a few days to get used to the size but I love it because I have an degenerative eye disease so it makes seeing the screen much easier. Carting it around in my pocket feels weird but I can live with it.

I was an idiot and got the 16G version, why? I looked at mt 4 also a 16 gig and said I have more stuff on here than I use and I have almost 4 gigs free. Well with only half the stuff I had on my other phone I have 1 gig free. In fact just out of the box you only have 11.7 gigs of space.

So now I need to send it back and wait for more to come back in stock. Royal pain in the ass but lesson learned.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

According to this site, the 64 GB Plus seems scarce:

http://www.istocknow.com/live/

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I know it's insignicant but 'dark mode' in OS X kicks ass. :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

There's a pretty badass Ninja game called "Shadow Blade" that's free. It's a side scrolling fighting game with great swipe commands that are real easy to pull off.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

For an awesome mobile golf game...give WGT Golf a try. A damn find game that looks fantastic and has great graphics. I have only played a round or so on easy and I already love it. Add a bit more challenge and it really gets good.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Has anyone played any of these war games (Clash of the Clans, Game of War, Boom Beach) that they're advertising all the time on TV?

They have great reviews in the App. Store but presumably they must be selling a lot of in-app boosts to be able to do so much TV ads. So maybe you can't do well in those games without buying a lot of the boost ups.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Trivia Crack and Threes are my go to games right now. Enjoying them both immensely.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The only games on my iPhone are Dots and QuizUp.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

FYI for anyone interested iOOTP Baseball 2014 edition is free. It didn't say how long it'll stay like that.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

A $10,000-17,000 Apple gold watch? A sucker born every minute. I'd rather drop that on a Rolex or Tag Heuer.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:A $10,000-17,000 Apple gold watch? A sucker born every minute. I'd rather drop that on a Rolex or Tag Heuer.
Why? If I'm dropping that much coin on a watch, I would want it to do a HELL of a lot more than just tell time. There's no greater sign of money to burn or someone trying to flaunt real or desired status than by wasting money on a watch. A $30 Casio watch keeps time just as well as a $15,000 Breitling.

Then again, I've NEVER dropped $170 on a new watch. I don't think I've ever spent more than $40 on a watch. They've all kept time just fine.

But I would be interested in the lowest-end Apple Watch if it truly extended the features of my iPhone or MacBook Air or did something truly innovative. So far I'm not convinced, especially since I don't wear a watch anymore, as my timekeeping and apps are just a pocket reach away with my iPhone. But I'm mildly curious about the watch.

I wear a Misfit Flash tracker on my wrist, so I'm not opposed to wearable tech. Dig my Flash. But it was $24.99 on Black Friday, which is my kind of price point. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The best part about the whole watch part of the event is that they kept saying "never been done before"...like it was going out of style. However, everything has been done on an Android wear watch that I use every day. The only thing that my watch can't do that the Apple watch can do is the stupid f'n pictures you can draw to another person. Did you see the demo of that guy drawing a flower, lol, it was laughable. Draw something on a postage stamp...why the F would you want to? No thanks. Typical Apple idiocy...we invented it, I swear! Oh wait, that's all been done since last summer? Well our metal that we use is more metal-y!

New Macbook...I could definitely be convinced of, had I not just bought a 13" Pro last year. Looks slick as hell. Too bad they are essentially using a smartphone processor in the thing. I'll stick with my Pro.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Price goes up quickly when you choose other options.

Maybe in a couple of years, if you can use Apple Pay everywhere and you can use it more without being connected to iphone, like for workouts.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I liked what I saw. Of course Apple presented things in their typical "Apple Way" and that's fine. A lot of what Cook presented had already been shown back in September...they just had actual working watches this time. I own a Pebble watch which I have become quite attached to...and that surprised me a bit. It's a simple smart watch compared to the Apple Watch but it has been a cool experience. It has made me more excited for the more feature rich Apple Watch. I am excited for the launch. Unless things change in a month I'll be getting the sport version. I don't see myself dropping the extra cash for the regular version. We will see in a little over a month.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I won't be buying the watch. I can't even talk myself in to wanting one. Maybe if it was priced around $150, I'd be more more interested. Just seems like overkill when you have phone with a much bigger display.

Trying to decide between the new Macbook and the slightly updated rMBP 13" for my son. He's got money to purchase one, but neither he nor I can settle on which one to get. He does some light to moderate video editing, web browsing, music, Minecraft, and of course I hope he uses it for school! Nothing too advanced though. My only concern about the new Macbook is that it won't be real good for video editing and light gaming. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

MacBook Pro is likely to have better processor and GPU.

Also probably more storage would be useful for video.

You can attach external drives, for backing up if nothing else but you would probably need an adapter and Apples USB 3.1 adapter is $79.

But that MacBook is thin and light which is probably the main draw.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

sportdan30 wrote:I won't be buying the watch. I can't even talk myself in to wanting one. Maybe if it was priced around $150, I'd be more more interested. Just seems like overkill when you have phone with a much bigger display.

Trying to decide between the new Macbook and the slightly updated rMBP 13" for my son. He's got money to purchase one, but neither he nor I can settle on which one to get. He does some light to moderate video editing, web browsing, music, Minecraft, and of course I hope he uses it for school! Nothing too advanced though. My only concern about the new Macbook is that it won't be real good for video editing and light gaming. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
The Wirecutter gave a detailed breakdown of the new Macbook. Here are the minus points, which should give you pause. I bolded the copy for emphasis:

"The new MacBook makes a number of compromises to achieve the svelte form and long battery life that make it so portable—some of which some people may not be ready for. The most obvious and controversial is that it sports only a single port for almost all wired connectivity and expandability. Specifically, it offers a single USB-C port that handles power/charging, USB 3.0 connectivity, and display output. (The MacBook does still include a dedicated headphone jack.)

"While it’s great to see a vendor as influential as Apple throw its support behind the promising USB-C standard, we’re less excited by the idea of having to carry around an additional $80 adapter just to be able to charge the laptop while using a thumb drive. While Apple’s PR materials imply that anything you need to do can be done wirelessly, that future isn’t here yet, so for the time being, we suspect that many people would have to make big changes to their workflows—or buy accessories at an additional cost—to be able to use the MacBook as their primary computer.

"Furthermore, while the MacBook’s price starts at $1299—$400 more than the entry-level MacBook Air—the Intel Core M that powers the MacBook is slower than the processor in that $899 Air. In fact, the Core M is generally found in sub-$1000 laptop-tablet hybrids. This power-sipping processor helps keep the MacBook running cool and helps give it a 10-hour battery life, but it means that unlike the Haswell chips found in the MacBook Air and Pro, the Core M won’t be able to handle some of the processor-intensive or graphics-heavy tasks, such as video editing and gaming, that its siblings can. But if you don’t often do those things on the road, you have a lot to look forward to when it comes to the rest of the hardware."

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Do not buy a new Macbook if you want to do anything that pings the processor, as I mentioned above. It's a glorified iPad...seriously. The processor is even less powerful than the one they put in the Air 2. It's fantastic for web browsing and watching movies. That's about it. And the USB C bullsh*t would drive me bonkers. You need an adapter for everything. At only 1-200 less than the retina Pro...unless you only travel and work on spreadsheets, spend the extra coin.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

So that means it'll be a big seller.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:So that means it'll be a big seller.
I'm not so sure. Any students would be crazy to buy it over the air, just for the port reason alone. The Air is still a much better alternative, at 80-90% of the cost. The only downside is the screen resolution and to be honest...after using the retina pro for a few months, it's not that big of a deal anyway as you have to scale up to utilize it and then it makes everything so damn small. The Air, with it's modest screen, is a much more attractive option IMO for students/travelers...I don't think that will change really.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Tap Sports Football, free to play, lot of in-app purchases is out.

From the same guys who made Your Turn Football.

Real NFL players so they must have signed a deal with the NFLPA.

Fills up the iPhone 6 Plus screen.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Pac-Man 256 is a lot of fun!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A couple of questions here. With the latest itunes update, I can't seem to find the apps section. Suggestions?

Also with the iphone X on my mind, which wireless earbuds do you use and recommend? I currently have the Bose QC35 which I love for my plane rides but was looking for some pair of earbuds.

For those that have the Airpods, do you recommend them?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:A couple of questions here. With the latest itunes update, I can't seem to find the apps section. Suggestions?

Also with the iphone X on my mind, which wireless earbuds do you use and recommend? I currently have the Bose QC35 which I love for my plane rides but was looking for some pair of earbuds.

For those that have the Airpods, do you recommend them?
The latest version of iTunes has removed the apps section. I haven't updated iTunes on my Mac but supposedly apps are now exclusively handled by the App Store.