Playing PS2 in the car?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Playing PS2 in the car?

Post by webdanzer »

Anyone have any experience with using a PS2 slim in a car? I have a loooong roadtrip coming up and I've been thinking about hooking the PS2 up to the drop-down screen we have in the van to let the kids game for a while.

It looks like a simple power inverter in the cig lighter will give me the power I need.

Anyone do this before? Advice? Run into any problems?

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

I believe the PS2 can be powered fine via an inverter. I don't know what the rated wattage is on the PS2 off the top of my head but a simple search should tell you if the inverter you are looking at will have the appropriate wattage necessary.

One caveat, though, is to take into consideration if the kids are prone to car sickness as I found out the hard way that the VSmile and my son did not agree at 65+ MPH.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

If you have drop down screens in your car, it would seem like the people that installed them would have thought to include a normal plug for accessories like that. You sure there isn't one somewhere?

If not, then yes, a power inverter would work fine. They have different sizes with multiple plugs on it so you can plug in a few things at a time if you want. I've run a camcorder and a vcr off one before so I'm pretty sure the PS2 won't draw more than those together.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

So far the kids haven't shown evidence of motion sickness at all, but it's something I'll keep an eye on, G7. (Yuck.)

The PS2 is low as far as what it requires Watt-wise, so I should be okay with even a smaller inverter.

I haven't seen any regular plugs in the van DB, but I can honestly say I haven't really looked all that hard, either. I'll check it out before I pick up an inverter. Some of the Radio Shack ones have poor feedback...things like blowing out the car's fuses and such, so I am a little concerned about that.

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

We've taken the Gamecube on trips before and it worked fine. I liked the GC because it has a way of grabbing the disc so that it won't get dislodged by bumps. I don't have a PS2 Slim, but I think it has the same system of holding the disc. Our Sienna has a built-in 115VAC plug-in, so I can't give any inverter advice.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

I've also taken the Gamecube on trips, hooking it up to an inverter. Since we took our ancient Ford Escape I had to craft a stand to set an old tv in between the front seats. Worked like a champ, especially for my wife and I as it really helped keep our young boys busy during an 18 hour trip.

My favorite part was pulling into a rest stop, getting out of the car and seeing 3 kids sitting in the car next to us with their jaws on the ground as they watched my boys playing SSX. :lol: