NHL Playoffs 09. Drop The Puck.

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

NHL Playoffs 09. Drop The Puck.

Post by 10spro »

It's been 16 long years since Lord Stanley went to a Canadian team and the Canucks will be the team best to represent Canada if it's got a chance to go back north of the border. The Flames will hang around while the Habs have no chance.

Here are my predictions and although the Canucks will get my most unconditional attention I must admit that the match ups in the East are very intriguing this season.

BOSTON-MONTREAL

What's not to like about these two original teams? What a difference a year makes, last season it was exactly the opposite where we were saying that BOS would be lucky to even get a game from MON. The Habs just don't match up to the tough Bruins, so whatever chance they have they'll have to be smart on special teams and use their speed to counter BOS's physical play. And all the off ice controversy in MON in their centennial. Bruins in 5.

WASHINGTON-NYR

It'll be interesting to see S. Avery's antics vs AO, and although J. Tortorella's arrival has improved the mental game of the Rangers, the Caps have way too many weapons in their arsenal and will prevail. M. Green, what a player in the blue line for WAS. Caps in 6.

NEW JERSEY-CAROLINA

Perhaps the sleeper series of the East but you gotta love what P. Maurice did to the Canes since taking over. E. Cole is doing what he couldn't accomplish in EDM and the Devils seemed to have lost their early identity. Still, Marty Brodeur will keep the series close but in the end I pick CAR. Canes in 6

PITT-PHILLY

It'll be the match up that I look most forward in the East, battle of Pennsylvania, 'nuff said. Goaltending will win this series. E. Staal should make the difference while Crosby and Malkin are being guarded heavily.The Pens in 7.

SAN JOSE-ANAHEIM

Battle of California, it'll be physical, it'll be nasty, SJ lost to some key men towards the end of the season and if there's an upset in this first round of playoffs, I think ANA is the team to pull it off. If J. Hiller plays like J.S. Giguere when they won the Cup, they'll take the series. But they have to play more disciplined or the Sharks will make them pay. A toss up. Ducks in 7.

DETROIT-COLUMBUS

Wings have only one weakness: Goaltending. Not sure if Ozzie found his game yet but their overall experience will prevail and beat the Jackets rather easily. Hitch did a good job in COL this season. DET in 5.

VANCOUVER-ST.LOUIS

A. Murray has been saying nothing but great things about my Canucks. This is a great coach that's using reverse psychology on my guys. I've been saying it long ago, the Blues have been hot for awhile but this is where their goal ends. Blues have a good PP and VAN must be disciplined. Bobby Lou will frustrate the young Blue offensive corps and VAN will show their overall experience and superiority. From the tragic loss of Luc Bourdon to the recent incident affecting T. Pyatt, VAN had many adversities but when focused they have been lethal. I think this is the best chance for Vancouver to go far. 'Nucks in 5.

CHICAGO-CALGARY

The last time the Blackhawks made the playoffs, P. Kane was only 13. Flames have some issues in the blue line and have been struggling as of late. Kiper is a horse, he'll be the reason they'll win this series but it won't be an easy one. Losing the NW division to VAN must hurt but Iron Mike will have them ready again. Flames in 7.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

I appreciate you having faith in my Ducks 10s. Hiller is definitely a wild card seen as this is his first PO appearance... I'm biased but I think he'll keep the games close enough to give the offense a chance. The Ducks as an 8th seed is a bit misleading as they are probably the hottest team coming into the playoffs and have all the right weapons to go deep. We're good on the road too.

It's going to be one heck of a series for us west coast hockey fans :)

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Would love to see Boston do something this year. Tim Thomas is my guy

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Mac, at one point the possibility of facing your Ducks was there and if there was one team that I wanted to avoid, is ANA. Let's see, Pronger and Niedermayer on the blueline, they got one of the best offensive lines in the business, they're big and if Hiller continues his hot streak anything is possible. But like I said it's a toss up but if there's an upset in the first round, this could be it. This series along the Bos-Mon series in the Eastern conference can get really mean.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Forget the hockey, the 1-8 matchup in the West means a whole new Cheechoo/Teemu song cycle!

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

10spro wrote:Mac, at one point the possibility of facing your Ducks was there and if there was one team that I wanted to avoid, is ANA. Let's see, Pronger and Niedermayer on the blueline, they got one of the best offensive lines in the business, they're big and if Hiller continues his hot streak anything is possible. But like I said it's a toss up but if there's an upset in the first round, this could be it. This series along the Bos-Mon series in the Eastern conference can get really mean.
You'll be wishing your Canucks had avoided another team by next sunday!! :o

GO BLUES!!!!
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

tjung0831 wrote:
You'll be wishing your Canucks had avoided another team by next sunday!! :o

GO BLUES!!!!
Yeah baby!!!

Go Blues!!!!!

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NHL Playoffs 09. Drop The Puck.

Post by lexbur »

10spro wrote:DET in 5.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Blue Jackets gave Detroit a tougher time than this, maybe push it to 6 or even 7 games.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

You Blues fans the only word you'll be saying after the series is over:

Bobby Lou-Bobby Lou.
Last edited by 10spro on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

lexbur wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the Blue Jackets gave Detroit a tougher time than this, maybe push it to 6 or even 7 games.
Doubt it. If Ozzie struggles a bit maybe it'll go to 6, but you can't beat an experienced team like this one at this time of the year. C. Mason would have to stand on his head and R. Nash play out of this world to score any kind of upset.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

lexbur wrote:
I agree with you Lex. As I mentioned in my playoff picks (now in the old thread), this will be a low-scoring series and every Osgood goof will be magnified.

Looks like you and I are the only ones that think so though!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:
lexbur wrote:
Doubt it. If Ozzie struggles a bit maybe it'll go to 6, but you can't beat an experienced team like this one at this time of the year. C. Mason would have to stand on his head and R. Nash play out of this world to score any kind of upset.
Exactly. Compare the forward lines and defensive pairings of the two teams, and Detroit dominates.

The only area where Columbus has an advantage on paper is in goal, and even there it will be interesting to see how rookie Steve Mason handles playoff pressure. It's one thing to shut out Nashville or Minnesota in January or February; it's another to face Detroit every other night when it counts in April.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I really wanted the Flyers to play Carolina. But even if they had pulled their fingers out and shown up for game 82 and got home ice, I would still be predicting them to lose to Pittsburgh in 6 games. Crosby loves playing in Philly.

BOSTON-MONTREAL: Bruins in 6

WASHINGTON-NYR: Capitals in 6

NEW JERSEY-CAROLINA: Devils in 7

PITTSBURGH-PHILADELPHIA: Penguins in 6

SAN JOSE-ANAHEIM: Sharks in 6

DETROIT-COLUMBUS: Redwings in 5

VANCOUVER-ST.LOUIS: Canucks in 7

CHICAGO-CALGARY: Flames in 6

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

From the NHL regular-season thread:

First-round predictions:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Boston ( 1 ) over Montreal ( 8 ) in six. Boston has overcome its midseason swoon, and I think this series comes down to goaltending. I'll take Tim Thomas over Carey Price all day long. Plus the Bruins had seven players with more than 20 goals this season. No way Montreal can counter that depth.

Rangers ( 7 ) over Washington ( 2 ) in seven. This is my Eastern upset special for one reason -- goaltending. King Henrik will stand on his head and beat Washington, which is one of the weakest defensive teams in the NHL. Defense wins in the playoffs, and that will be the case in this series despite the Rangers having a pop-gun offense.

Carolina ( 6 ) over New Jersey ( 3 ) in five. Carolina has been on fire since the trading deadline, probably the second-hottest team in the East behind Pittsburgh. New Jersey, conversely, has swooned at just the wrong time. I don't see the Devils suddenly turning it on for the playoffs.

Pittsburgh ( 4 ) over Philadelphia ( 5 ) in seven. I don't care how well Pittsburgh is playing or how poorly Philadelphia is playing. This one is going seven because it's the Battle of the Keystone State! The return of Gonchar from injury turned around the Pens' season, and he will play a similar pivotal role in this one. Plus I'm just not convinced Marty Biron can carry a team through the playoffs in goal.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

San Jose ( 1 ) over Anaheim ( 8 ) in seven. On paper, San Jose should walk this series. But this is San Jose, the biggest choke artist of a team in the last five years in the NHL, led by the softest leader among captains in the NHL, Joe Thornton. So this series will be a dogfight in which San Jose's superior talent and scoring depth will prevail. Plus who does Anaheim ride between the pipes? Jiggy has all of the playoff experience, but Hiller arguably has played better this year.

Detroit ( 2 ) over Columbus ( 7 ) in five. Columbus will go as far as Steve Mason can carry it, but that won't be enough against Detroit. The Wings have more depth in their forward lines, and any team with Lidstrom and Rafalski on the back line is solid. I don't think Detroit will make it out of the West due to Osgood's shaky season, but the Wings will beat the Jackets.

Vancouver ( 3 ) over St. Louis ( 6 ) in five. The more I think about this series, the more I think Vancouver walks it. Luongo is the best goalie in the world. The Canucks also have more balance, depth and experience up front and in the back. St. Louis is a budding powerhouse in the West, but this isn't the Blues' year.

Chicago ( 4 ) over Calgary ( 5 ) in seven. It's only fitting that these two teams are in the 4-5 matchup since both have been mediocre at best down the stretch. Two excellent goalies in Khabibuhlin and Kiprusoff, solid defensive pairings for both. Calgary has the definite edge in experience, but I think this series comes down to home-ice advantage. It's irrelevant, though, as the winner of this series is losing in the next round.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Just an FYI but the John Tavares lottery is tonight on the NHL network...I believe 8pm CST. I'm not fooled with all that Victor Hedman talk...yep he'll be a nice player down the road for somebody but for whatever reason his supposed mean streak has been non exsistant every time i've seen him.
How great would it be for the Avalanche with Sakic probably calling it quits to win the lottery and have Tavares stairing them right in the face. As long as the Islanders or Colorado win it, i'll be happy. The NHL can't afford to have Tavares playing in Tampa Bay.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

tjung0831 wrote:How great would it be for the Avalanche with Sakic probably calling it quits to win the lottery and have Tavares stairing them right in the face. As long as the Islanders or Colorado win it, i'll be happy. The NHL can't afford to have Tavares playing in Tampa Bay.
F*ck the Islanders. Charlie Wang doesn't deserve a superstar like Tavares.

But I agree with your sentiments about Tampa, Tim. What a mess of a franchise.

Take care,
PK

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

If anything a team like Tampa should take V. Hedman, and hoping LA or COL takes Tavares. If it's COL, you would then wish that Burnaby Joe continues his career.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Piss off all you spawny gits whos teams made it. :evil:

Slumps away Climbs in back of the Ducks Wagon.

Come on SO CAL. Ouch it hurts.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

What a waste when Tavares goes to the NYI.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Piss off all you spawny gits whos teams made it. :evil:

:lol: ...

Dont worry, in the end, all but one will feel your pain...

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

10spro wrote:What a waste when Tavares goes to the NYI.
I dont know whats worse...

Him wasting away on the Isle or him helping them become a winner :P

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

XXXIV wrote:
10spro wrote:What a waste when Tavares goes to the NYI.
I dont know whats worse...

Him wasting away on the Isle or him helping them become a winner :P
At least the Leafs will try to prepare some kind of a package for the first two picks whether it's Tavares or Hedman, when B. Burke was at his best in a press conference. How they'll jump up a few spots is beyond me, but if anybody, I would never count Burkie out. Not that I care for the Leafs but at least those guys would be playing in a market that actually cares.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thorough playoff preview by The Hockey News:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/2 ... eview.html

Take care,
PK

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I'm tired of reading every expert comment on how the Flyers-Pens series will be the closest of all the first round series, yet everyone picks the Pens.

C'mon Biron--prove me wrong about you and just play equal to Fleury. I think that will be enough for the Flyers to win.

Let the games begin already!!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

PK, on my way to the airport I heard on the radio that Tambi was having a press conference at 11:00 PST. What's going to happen? My guess is that they'll announce MacT stepping away from coaching and filling up another position in the organization. Who will take over?

Damn travels this month, I'll be missing the first two Canucks's games at home but Go 'Nucks!