MLB Baseball 2009 Season Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

MLB Baseball 2009 Season Thread

Post by pigpen81 »

I thought I would start the 2009 MLB season thread with a wonderful blog about San Diego's most famous athlete and HOF'r:

http://www.619sports.blogspot.com/

On the Road with T.Gwynn...Ello, Mar. 28th
So what's it like to actually BE a Hall of Famer?

Hell, I don't know...I'm not a Hall of Famer in.....well....in anything....Unless you wanna' count stuff like Mowing Down Ribs at a Buffet, Taking Long Afternoon Naps, Seinfeld Trivia or Worst NCAA Tournament Bracket Ever Recorded.

And, of course, you're no Hall of Famer either....so that pretty much puts both of us in the same boat.

Last couple of days, however, I've had the chance to be a little closer to an actual Hall of Famer. A real one, who lives in our very midst.....the great Tony Gwynn. You know, of Baseball Hall of Fame -- er, -- fame.

And I'm hear to tell you that maybe the greatest compliment I could ever pay to Tony Gwynn -- and I've paid a lot of them over the years -- is that when you're around him....you simply don't feel like you're around a Hall of Famer.

At least in my mind, the life of a Hall of Famer is all about limos and chauffeurs...and free dinners with no tips...and adoring masses and adulation...and big pay-day speaking appearances with rubber chicken and strawberry shortcake.

Hall of Famers move among us with entourages and tinted windows....with designer suits and $200-dollar shades....on private jet airplanes with champagne and caviar...with not a care in the world.... but always with a Sharpie in hand ready to make a few more bucks by signing the collar of your grandmother's poodle.

The life of Tony Gwynn is nothing like any of that, however. Or at least it hasn't been this weekend.

I shuttled on to the San Diego State baseball team's bus Thursday morning with the destination being Fort Worth, Texas, as the Aztecs (16-8 and not doing too badly, thank you) prepared for a three-game weekend series against three-time defending Mountain West Conference champion TCU.

Surely, I figured, the Aztecs' head coach (must be a figure-head title, I thought) would not be joining us for the ride to the airport....After all, Hall of Famers don't ride buses. Do they?

Well, this one does -- and he did. In fact, he was sitting right there in the front seat, and he was ready with a quick quip about my relaxed travel attire. (First, I was definitely under-dressed. Second, one need not be a Hall of Famer in most cases to find fault with my choice of clothing. My wife's no Hall of Famer, and she finds fault with it all the time).

Once at Lindberg Field, I awaited the whisking away of Mr. Gwynn to some remote, off-limits airport location so he could at least cool his heels before the flight. But it never happened.

Not only did Cal Ripken's HOF classmate carry his own bags, but he waited IN THE BACK OF THE LINE while his troupe of scruffy-faced collegians checked in at the American Airlines ticket counter ahead of him.

As we lined up for departure, an absolutely crazy thing happened. Some bag check guy recognized ME and wanted to chat me up about some NFL football (how one gets recognized from being on the radio, I have no idea).....all the while I was wondering when the wide-eyed fellow would recognize the guy standing directly behind me and completely lose his mind.

But Tony Gwynn got on the plane with nary a glance -- not from the bag check guy, or anyone else, for that matter. And then something else surprising happened.

I turned right once in the airplane door to go take my seat in coach along with all the players -- and Mr. Hall of Famer turned right and took his seat in coach as well. (Maybe coaches are supposed to fly coach, but I thought in this instance, perhaps it would be different).

Once in Fort Worth, the team was hungry and I figured the following would happen: we'd all be dropped off for a fast-food feast at McDonald's, and the Greatest Hitter of the last Half-Century would be met by City dignitaries and shown the biggest table at the the finest restaurant on the top floor of most plush five-star hotel in town. (That's assuming, of course, that there is such a thing in Fort Worth).

This is what did happen: we were all bused to some Texas Ranch-style buffet place for dinner, and everybody paid their own way -- including Mr. Padre, who reached into his own wallet and paid his own $12.40 tab like everybody else.

When Tony Gwynn took the job as San Diego State's head baseball coach seven seasons ago, most thought it was just a temporary move. After all, why would anybody of Gwynn's stature want to deal with the rigors of college baseball? The buses, the roadside diners, the cheap hotels, the life as far outside the limelight as possible?

The reason, as it turns out, is that Tony Gwynn is really just everyman. Hall of Famer in Cooperstown, but just simply college baseball coach in San Diego. He has simple tastes and wants a simple life. He has goals, just like the rest of us, and he doesn't plan on stopping until he attains them.

Through his first six years as the leader of the Aztecs, he hasn't had the success he thought he would have: just one league title and no NCAA Tournament appearances. He's had to work harder than he thought, and he's had to learn patience while youngsters struggle to accomplish what he accomplished so easily before them.

Most Hall of Famers are off somewhere else enjoying the good life. Tony Gwynn is still in their battling every day like the rest of us.

A pretty good life, indeed.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Tony is the man. Go Pads!

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I'll say go Nats, until half the rotation and anyone with HR power gets injured within the first month of the season.......

I hope at the very least Dunn cranks some for us.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

A team can't collapse in september 3 straight years, right? :lol:

Let's go Mets!

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

Or October?

Go Cubs
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

I wish I could be more optimistic about the Tribe this year, but their starting rotation worries me. When Carl Pavano's your number three starter, you've got problems.

Anyone else going to Opening Day? I'll be there, Tribe vs. Blue Jays next Friday!!!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Well, I doubt the Jays will make a believer out of me this season. With A. J. Burnett gone to NY, there's a lot of pressure for R. Halladay to carry this team on his shoulders.

V. Wells hasn't been the same for the last couple of seasons, and his ongoing treatment for his recent hip injury is worrisome. But perhaps my biggest concern is the arm of B.J. Ryan. He felt he wasn't going to hurt team USA during the recent BC and if there's a guy that wants to be there for his teammates is Ryan.

His recent loss of speed tells me that his elbow is still bothering him, too many problems for a guy that's supposed to be a closer.

On a positive note, I look forward to the continous improvement of A. Lind and T. Snider and with Cito in full command, I look forward to the Jays spoiling the Redsox and Yankees from time to time. It'll be a tough year, the Rays are much improved too.

Play ball!

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I see the Cards coming in 2nd in the Division behind the Cubs :oops: The question is whether they'll be good enough for a Wild Card position.

Here's to the Cubs getting swept in the 1st round again! 8)

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

What are the Indians planning to do with Hafner, I heard he's had a terrible spring. His contract is an albatross.

I've heard great things about Snider, some think he has a shot to be the best hitter on the team. The Jays had 2/3 of a great team last year, but it will be tough for the pitching and defense to be that stout again and I don't see how the offense can pick up the slack.

I'm excited for the Twins this season, but last year's offense was powered by extremely fluky hitting with runners in scoring position. But who knows, if Crede and Cuddyer stay healthy it really adds some sorely-needed RH power to the lineup. Should be an interesting year with so many young players in the field and in the rotation.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Dave wrote:I've heard great things about Snider, some think he has a shot to be the best hitter on the team. The Jays had 2/3 of a great team last year, but it will be tough for the pitching and defense to be that stout again and I don't see how the offense can pick up the slack.
This guy is going to be a monster. I just hope that the Jays don't push him too far too soon. If we didn't have the problems with RISP last season, we would have pushed the Rays and Bosox further. Hey, they finished ahead of the Yankees in this always tough eastern division but with too many doubts in the pitching department it'll be a tough season.

Having said that, Cito is well known for taking the best out of a player. Besides the bullpen, I'd like to still have a good DH guy for this team.

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

greggsand wrote:I see the Cards coming in 2nd in the Division behind the Cubs :oops: The question is whether they'll be good enough for a Wild Card position.

hater
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

TheGamer wrote:
greggsand wrote:I see the Cards coming in 2nd in the Division behind the Cubs :oops: The question is whether they'll be good enough for a Wild Card position.

hater
Don't hate the playa, hate the cubs... :)

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

Dave wrote:What are the Indians planning to do with Hafner, I heard he's had a terrible spring. His contract is an albatross.
He hit his first homer of the spring last night, who knows? The Tribe's not admitting it yet, but it doesn't look good. He'll be in the lineup Opening Day though, I guess we'll see.

Yeah, his contract's a HUGE hit to this small market team, which is why I think they'll play him longer than they should, if he's really done. I can see in May, he'll be hitting like .150 and it will be one excuse after another from the Tribe as to why he's still playing... "the cold weather, he'll turn it around when it warms up..." or, "oh, he's says he feels better, it's just a timing thing now..." when we all know he's done, they're just beating a dead horse because of his salary.

But I hope I'm wrong, he's kicking butt in The Show.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Mets sign Sheff. Kinda surprised.

Beltran is gonna have to cover a ton of ground in the outfield this year.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Glad I don't have opening day tickets.. 39 degrees? No thanks!

:lol:

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Anyone watching the Phillies/Braves game tonight? The Phillies have new gold outlines to the lettering on their uniform. I'm hoping that's a one night thing to celebrate their championship, because I it ruins one of the nicer uni's in my opinion...

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Leadfoot5 wrote:Anyone watching the Phillies/Braves game tonight? The Phillies have new gold outlines to the lettering on their uniform. I'm hoping that's a one night thing to celebrate their championship, because I it ruins one of the nicer uni's in my opinion...
Of course I'm watching...and that gold trim is horrendous. Enjoyable game so far and Lowe looks like he was a pretty good investment so far this season. 8 innings, 2 hits, 0 runs. Not a bad opening night game for the new ace of the staff.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Leadfoot5 wrote:Anyone watching the Phillies/Braves game tonight? The Phillies have new gold outlines to the lettering on their uniform. I'm hoping that's a one night thing to celebrate their championship, because I it ruins one of the nicer uni's in my opinion...
Of course I'm watching...and that gold trim is horrendous. Enjoyable game so far and Lowe looks like he was a pretty good investment so far this season. 8 innings, 2 hits, 0 runs. Not a bad opening night game for the new ace of the staff.
I was there :cry: Lowe threw a gem....gotta tip the cap. I wish the Phils would have signed him...would love to see that sinker at CBP. McCann's HR was a bomb. Other than the loss it was a fun day in Philly.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

MizzouRah wrote:Glad I don't have opening day tickets.. 39 degrees? No thanks!

Wuss!

Sack up, Opening Day comes once a year. What do you guys do during football season? Oh, that's right, you pansies have a dome. :roll:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

lexbur wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:Glad I don't have opening day tickets.. 39 degrees? No thanks!

Wuss!

Sack up, Opening Day comes once a year. What do you guys do during football season? Oh, that's right, you pansies have a dome. :roll:
The pansies in Chicago need a dome too.

Game postponed. Snowed out?...It snowed last night. Its fine today. Should be 35 and cloudy at game time.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

lexbur wrote:
Wuss!

Wuss indeed... I have family in Cleveland too.. hate the weather there as well. :lol:

Screw that, baseball is warm weather, cold weather at a football game is a different animal - I've been to many freezing cold games when the football Cardinals were here.

Thankfully I have HD!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Wimps. :) How about baseball in snowy Toronto? They start their series with the Tigers and thank goodness for the retractable roof at the Rogers centre cause snow or sunshine this game would have still be played at the Old Exhibition stadium.

R. Halladay as usual makes the start for the Jays, a season that will be rather challenging for him and the rest of the gang as their include three rookies in their starting rotation.

One player to follow is T. Snider, hope L. Overbay and S. Rolen get their game going although I think Scott's best days are behind him.
Playing in the toughest division in the league, I picture them way behind BOS, NYY and TPA.

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

It'll be interesting next April when the Twins open their new ballpark. It's going to be a little nippy early on, but it'll be well worth it in the summer. That dome with all those "baggies" they play in now is hideous.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Ah, so that's what having a bullpen is like.

-Mets fan

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Slumberland wrote:Ah, so that's what having a bullpen is like.

-Mets fan
Word. :D