Biggest Sports Upset Ever?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Biggest Sports Upset Ever?

Post by Zlax45 »

Is the Dominican Republic losing two games in the WBC to the Netherlands (Aruba and Curacao) the biggest sports upset ever? What was a bigger upset?
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Biggest Sports Upset Ever?

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Zlax45 wrote:Is the Dominican Republic losing two games in the WBC to the Netherlands (Aruba and Curacao) the biggest sports upset ever? What was a bigger upset?
That's easy. USA over Russia.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Zlax45 wrote:Is the Dominican Republic losing two games in the WBC to the Netherlands (Aruba and Curacao) the biggest sports upset ever? What was a bigger upset?
Yeah that's a good one. I'll add the Jets over the Colts in the SB. The Mets over the Baltimore Orioles in the World Series.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

From the world of soccer

USA 1 England 0 (WC 1950)

Italy 0 N Korea 1 (WC 1966)

E Germany 1 W Germany 0 (WC 1974...though there are those who suspect it was thrown)

Cameroon 1 Argentina 0 (WC 1990)

Colchester 3 Leeds 2 (FA Cup, 1970)
Hereford 2 Newcastle 1 (FA CUp 1972)
Sunderland 1 Leeds 0 (FA Cup Final 1973)
...and a whole load others
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Hard to find one bigger than this.

1982 Chaminade defeats #1 Virginia, who had a guy named Ralph Sampson. Chaminade was not even a D1-AA or D1-AAA school, they were NAIA at the time.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D_YdxrPD04g&hl ... 2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>
[url=http://sites.google.com/site/bmdsooner/]My place for games![/url]

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

bdoughty wrote:Hard to find one bigger than this.

1982 Chaminade defeats #1 Virginia, who had a guy named Ralph Sampson. Chaminade was not even a D1-AA or D1-AAA school, they were NAIA at the time.
That was really cool, thanks for the vid!

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Would love to hear your definition of a D1-AAA school

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

fsquid wrote:Would love to hear your definition of a D1-AAA school
They're smaller and thinner and seem prevalent in remote locales.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

EZSnappin wrote:
fsquid wrote:Would love to hear your definition of a D1-AAA school
They're smaller and thinner and seem prevalent in remote locales.
Also, in addition to competing in athletics at a non-scholarship level, they are qualified to provide roadside assistance.

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

Buster Douglas over Mike Tyson
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
80 USA over CCCP is the one I woulld choose over all the rest.

That one team from Greece winning the 04 Euro was pretty big.

Buster Douglas knocking out Tyson might not seem like a big deal in hindsight but at the moment it happened it was huge.

Rams losing to the Patriots in SB 36...Again in hindsight not so big but they were 14 point faves and at the time it nearly cost my tv its life.
Last edited by XXXIV on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

You're kidding, right? For it to be a major upset, it must be in a competition of significance. The WBC is not. It's a made-for-TV event, an exhibition.

Nothing tops the U.S. over the USSR in the 1980 Winter Olympics. But Buster Douglas beating the unbeaten and seemingly invincible Mike Tyson in Tokyo in 1990 is DAMN close.

Others for consideration:

1. Chaminade over Ralph Sampson's Virginia in NCAA hoops
2. Appalachian State over Michigan in football, 2007
3. Namath's Jets over Colts, Super Bowl
4. Derrike Cope wins 1990 Daytona 500 over Dale Earnhardt
5. John Daly rises from obscurity to win 1991 PGA Championship

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

Paul, you beat me to it, but I did one to mention Appalachian State (1-AA) beating Michigan in the Big House.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

The Chaminade win is probably the biggest in terms of pure talent differential.

USA v. Russia in the Olympics is the biggest if you look at the importance of the game, the talent involved, and the expectations. No other game has had such a stunning impact that spilled well beyond the sport itself.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

USA over Russia....everything else pales in comparison.

"You were born to be hockey players....each and everyone of you were meant to be here tonight"
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Smurfy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Smurfy »

David beating Goliath was an upset of Biblical proportions.

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

Next week's Cleveland State win against whatever 1 or 2 seed they get paired up with. :D

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Netherlands beating the DR has to be up there...Netherlands has a bunch of Single A players beating a MLB team TWICE in the same tournament.

I would put it up there with that Russia-USA game as the talent jump between the two teams was similar.

I guess we know that PK doesn't care for the WBC and that is sad since he is missing some great baseball. Watching the other squads besides the USA has been great theater. We don't get to see international baseball anymore in the Olympics so this is the best we can do.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

The WBC has been good. The Olympics are a made for TV event now too. Probably have been since Barcelona.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zlax45 wrote:I guess we know that PK doesn't care for the WBC and that is sad since he is missing some great baseball. Watching the other squads besides the USA has been great theater. We don't get to see international baseball anymore in the Olympics so this is the best we can do.
Let's put this "massive upset" into perspective.

Nearly all of the upsets that people have mentioned in this thread occurred at least 15 years ago. Yet we remember them like they happened last week; they're hanging right in the frontal lobes of our brain.

Is anyone other than the most hardcore baseball fan going to remember this Netherlands upset as one of sport's true David and Goliath stories in 2024 or 2030?

Highly, highly unlikely.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Another defining quality of the pantheon of American sports upsets is that they involve American teams or American athletes.

Again, other than hardcore baseball fans, the vast majority of American sports fans will forget this "massive upset" within two weeks, especially because it was Dutch vs. Dominicans.

Americans are among the most parochial sports fans in the world. If it's not a Yank, we tend not to give a sh*t.

Just look at Roger Federer. The guy is intergalatic, yet he hasn't captivated Americans like Mac or Jimbo. If Padraig Harrington dominated golf like Tiger does now, do you think American interest would be as strong? Of course it wouldn't. If Juan Montoya won the Sprint Cup Championship in a Toyota, grandstands would be ablaze across NASCAR Nation. Usain Bolt was just as dominant and awe-inspiring as Michael Phelps in Beijing, but he received nowhere near the accolades or attention in the American media ... because he's Jamaican.

And so on ...

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Finally, if this was such an upset of historic proportion, monopolizing water-cooler talk around the sports world, then why are the leads at the three major American sports Web sites at 12:53 p.m. (ET) today:

ESPN.com: College hoop conference tournaments

SI.com: The aging of NBA players

CBSSporstline.com: A feature about players under pressure to replace top stars lost in NFL free agency

This is a BIG story in the baseball world. That's it.

Take care,
PK

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

pk500 wrote:Another defining quality of the pantheon of American sports upsets is that they involve American teams or American athletes.

Again, other than hardcore baseball fans, the vast majority of American sports fans will forget this "massive upset" within two weeks, especially because it was Dutch vs. Dominicans.

Americans are among the most parochial sports fans in the world. If it's not a Yank, we tend not to give a sh*t.

Just look at Roger Federer. The guy is intergalatic, yet he hasn't captivated Americans like Mac or Jimbo. If Padraig Harrington dominated golf like Tiger does now, do you think American interest would be as strong? Of course it wouldn't. If Juan Montoya won the Sprint Cup Championship in a Toyota, grandstands would be ablaze across NASCAR Nation. Usain Bolt was just as dominant and awe-inspiring as Michael Phelps in Beijing, but he received nowhere near the accolades or attention in the American media ... because he's Jamaican.

And so on ...

Take care,
PK
Did I ever say Biggest USA upset? That is the problem with the sporting culture in this country. We only look inside our borders.

You look at the Dominican team and see a bunch of MLB players while the Netherlands throw out a 19 year old kid who was pitching in high school baseball last year in Miami. Yes, he was born on Curacao.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Also, how could we forget one of the most unlikely upsets in sports history?

Jan. 5, 1971
Washington Generals 100, Harlem Globetrotters 99.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

What about the Soviet basketball team beating the US team in the '70s.

Had the US team ever lost in Olympic competition before then?

Of course there are allegations of questionable officiating.

But IIRC, the games involving US basketball team had not been close so it was suppose to be a shocker that the game was even close.

A sport like hockey, one or two scores is all it takes to upset. In basketball, they have to repeatedly score so the underdog really can't surprise the heavy favorite.

Then again, Villanova shot 72% against Georgetown.