College Hoops Thread - 08/09

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

College Hoops Thread - 08/09

Post by bdoughty »

How did we go this long without one? Especially with OU and UConn (that was for Murph) dominating in both men's and women's basketball. ;)

Blake Griffin has a dunk highlight reel from just one game against Colorado. Pretty short video that missed a few of his dunks but they got the big ones. You rarely see an alley oop from almost 3/4 away from the basket.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=389130 ... id=2459792

OU did struggle in the game against a weak Colorado but we will take the "W."

We have NC @ Duke this Wed to look forward too. I am sure they will have 4,000 different camera angles you can watch the game from and ESPN will once again milk this game for all it is worth.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: College Hoops Thread - 08/09

Post by Murph »

bdoughty wrote:How did we go this long without one? Especially with OU and UConn (that was for Murph) dominating in both men's and women's basketball. ;)
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Let me preface that with the fact that the UConn women's team might be having one of the most dominant seasons in NCAA history.

It is one thing to blow out teams but to beat two top 5 teams by 30 points is impressive to say the least.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/teams/schedule?teamId=41

That is just scary. 23 wins and only one game with a a victory of less than double digits.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

it's still women's ball

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

fsquid wrote:it's still women's ball
Memphis FT% Men - 66.5

50th best Womens team shooting Free Throws - 73%
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/leaders?cat=8&type=2

FUNdamentals!

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

bdoughty wrote:
fsquid wrote:it's still women's ball
Memphis FT% Men - 66.5

50th best Womens team shooting Free Throws - 73%
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/leaders?cat=8&type=2

FUNdamentals!
Memphis 21-3 15th in the nation and rising.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

fsquid wrote: Memphis 21-3 15th in the nation and rising.
Plays in the Conference USA and has no competition. No Free Throws required in blowouts. Once the tourney hits you will have more close games, bigger need to make FT's. Another choke to ensue, this year in an early round game.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

bdoughty wrote:
fsquid wrote: Memphis 21-3 15th in the nation and rising.
Plays in the Conference USA and has no competition. No Free Throws required in blowouts. Once the tourney hits you will have more close games, bigger need to make FT's. Another choke to ensue, this year in an early round game.
Elite 8, elite8, final 2 are the results of the three years in the new C-USA. I believe the Tigers are just fine how they play.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

It's like we're back at OS in 2003. :)

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

yea except the argument is actually in my favor now!

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Just barely in your favor due to recent success. OU is not a basketball school, yet still has more final four appearances than Memphis (4 to 3). Remember that Final Four in 1985 does not count due to using ineligible players.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Salukis! (well, not this year so much, but still...) Salukis!
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

bdoughty wrote:Just barely in your favor due to recent success. OU is not a basketball school, yet still has more final four appearances than Memphis (4 to 3). Remember that Final Four in 1985 does not count due to using ineligible players.
Whoopie, I'll notify the fecking media

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

greggsand wrote:Salukis! (well, not this year so much, but still...) Salukis!
right on

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: College Hoops Thread - 08/09

Post by Brando70 »

bdoughty wrote:How did we go this long without one?
Hard to feel good if you're a Hoosier fan like me, even though Tom Crean is doing what he can with the little talent he has.

Big Ten once again looks really mediocre. Wouldn't surprise me if the conference doesn't make it past the second round in the tourney.

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

The Illini are suprisingly having a pretty solid season at 19-5. Going into the season, the expectations were very low with the team's top player Jamar Smith being cut for being an idiot. But the sophomores McCamey, Tisdale and Davis have really played well and they been getting solid senior leadership from Chester Frazier. Coach Weber has really turned around his recruiting success after losing most of the in state talent the last few years. Things are really looking up for the Illini in the next few years with the recruits they have coming in. Right now they are probably a 5 or 6 seed in the tourney, and maybe even a 4.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Big showdown tonight in Columbia. The border war featuring IMO two surprising teams. Mizzou vs. KU. KU lost all five starters from year ago, but they are undefeated in conference. At 19-4, they have jumped back in to the rankings. Mizzou, which has only lost two games in the conference has destroyed some bad teams in the Big 12 and beaten some very good teams (Texas, Baylor). They also barely lost to Xavier. Both teams will be ranked for tonight's game, the first time since 2003 both are ranked at the same time.

This is THE biggest midwest rival game IMO, one that spews much hatred. Should be fun to watch!

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Here is an interesting article

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/CMU_wome ... y_explayer

CMU, women's coach sued by ex-player

Claims heterosexuality was a factor

Heike said Guevara told her she wore too much makeup and was not the coach's "type." That meant she wasn't a lesbian, according to a lawsuit filed last week in federal court in Bay City.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Murph,

What happened last night? Kicking myself for missing a great game. From the videos it looked like DeJuan Blair just bullied Thabeet.

I have no problem with Pitt jumping OU for #1 with them beating UCONN on the road.
[url=http://sites.google.com/site/bmdsooner/]My place for games![/url]

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

No one wants to be #1 this year evidently.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

bdoughty wrote:Murph,

What happened last night? Kicking myself for missing a great game. From the videos it looked like DeJuan Blair just bullied Thabeet.
That's exactly what happened. Blair had a double double before the first half was even over. Thabeet was barely a factor.

For a good chuckle, watch the Calhoun post-game presser. He looked like a time bomb ready to explode at any second.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

It is amazing that someone that big could get absolutely destroyed in the paint. Thabeet looked he not only didn't know how to play basketball, he didn't even know the meaning of the word.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Tigers have won 54 conference games in a row. Only 11 short of the UK record from the 50s.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

fsquid wrote:Tigers have won 54 conference games in a row. Only 11 short of the UK record from the 50s.
Boy now if any record is asterisk worthy, this is one of them. UK did it against some competition. :wink: I watched the Memphis/UTEP game and once again those free throws almost cost them.

OU played a good game in a loss last night. They almost made a comeback with their star out most of the game and all of the second half. Abrahms was just on fire at the end of the game.
[url=http://sites.google.com/site/bmdsooner/]My place for games![/url]

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

bdoughty wrote:
fsquid wrote:Tigers have won 54 conference games in a row. Only 11 short of the UK record from the 50s.
Boy now if any record is asterisk worthy, this is one of them. UK did it against some competition. :wink: I watched the Memphis/UTEP game and once again those free throws almost cost them.

OU played a good game in a loss last night. They almost made a comeback with their star out most of the game and all of the second half. Abrahms was just on fire at the end of the game.
Oh yes, the 1950s when maybe 20 schools in all of the nation took the sport of basketball seriously (ie money).