Rockstar announces Red Dead Redemption - PS3/360

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Rockstar announces Red Dead Redemption - PS3/360

Post by Teal »

First time experience. I was riding my horse up into the high country, just for the sake of riding. Wasting time, looking at the beautiful vistas. My horse begins to get restless. I try patting him on the neck to calm him. He rears and throws me, then takes off. I never hear a sound until the mountain lion is on me snapping my neck. I cussed and damn near dropped the controller...lol. How friggin cool. The moments, man. Just incredible attention to detail.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Teal wrote:First time experience. I was riding my horse up into the high country, just for the sake of riding. Wasting time, looking at the beautiful vistas. My horse begins to get restless. I try patting him on the neck to calm him. He rears and throws me, then takes off. I never hear a sound until the mountain lion is on me snapping my neck. I cussed and damn near dropped the controller...lol. How friggin cool. The moments, man. Just incredible attention to detail.
Same thing happened to me...plus I lost an elk pelt in the process. I would have shot that bastard but didn’t have my gun out. Had the bow out instead.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The longest RDR 2 review I've seen. Hell, it may be the longest video game review I've seen. Tolstoy would be proud. Seriously, though, the reviewer has quite an attention for detail:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1735-re ... emption-2/
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

The "quick travel" via cinematic camera just adds so much to the game. The ability to sit back and chill, checking out the scenery rather than worrying about managing the horse, tracking the route etc. is perfect for this game. Frames the whole experience in a totally different way.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

RobVarak wrote:The "quick travel" via cinematic camera just adds so much to the game. The ability to sit back and chill, checking out the scenery rather than worrying about managing the horse, tracking the route etc. is perfect for this game. Frames the whole experience in a totally different way.
Yeah, I don't necessarily like to fast travel, but if you're gonna do it, Rockstar did it right.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

RobVarak wrote:The "quick travel" via cinematic camera just adds so much to the game. The ability to sit back and chill, checking out the scenery rather than worrying about managing the horse, tracking the route etc. is perfect for this game. Frames the whole experience in a totally different way.
Co-Signed. Gotta pay attention though. There is always the chance of a mountain lion or gang jumping you. Stay on your toe mofos.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Diablo25 wrote:
Co-Signed. Gotta pay attention though. There is always the chance of a mountain lion or gang jumping you. Stay on your toe mofos.
Oops. Thought he was talking about fast travel. Yes, this rocks. Big surprise that yet another thing about this game rocks. :D

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Diablo25 wrote:
Teal wrote:I just can't get over how beautiful this game is. I can spend hours doing nothing but riding around at a slow clip admiring the fog in the swamps in the early morning, or watching the rain literally approach over the plains, or just sit and listen to people talk, watch them do their thing, and never see the loop. In the South, I can almost feel the stifling humidity as the cicadas chirp in the trees. The snow in the mountains made me feel cold. The level of detail has no parallel. I'm playing the excellent story, too, but for the first time in a game, I don't feel like I have to stay with the story, nor does it feel like I'm NOT in the story even when I'm just riding around or playing dominoes, or perusing the general store, or hell, taking a bath. I'm just...amazed.
The game truly is a classic. There is such a calming factor of just riding around on your horse (I named mine Gordo) and taking it all in. There is so much more of the map I haven’t sniffed yet and it’s been well worth the $$$. I have been doing the main story here and there but don’t feel rushed to get it done. I want to enjoy the experience. Easily a 10 out of 10 for me.
Fully agree with all of the above! 8)

BTW, I named my horse Trigger. I guess that exposes how old I am. :oops:

This game has even cut into my time with my other favorite game (TGC 2019) to the point that I'm struggling with my tempo. :wink:

-MERACE

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

MERACE wrote: This game has even cut into my time with my other favorite game (TGC 2019) to the point that I'm struggling with my tempo. :wink:
-MERACE
THIS!!!! ^^^ These are the only two games I play at the moment, and I can attest that gun-slinging has done NOTHING for my golf game!! :)

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Unless there's golf somewhere in RDR2, or driving, or whatever, I'm just going to have to get worse at whatever it is, because I'm playing RDR2. :D

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Teal wrote:Unless there's golf somewhere in RDR2, or driving, or whatever, I'm just going to have to get worse at whatever it is, because I'm playing RDR2. :D
Played the game a solid 4-5 hours today and didn’t even do a story mission. Just hunted "Legendary Animals" and ran into random strangers. Stole a treasure map from one of them :D
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'm really trying to find the game ya'll are playing. I really am, this was my experience when I had time to play Saturday. I started over a day or two before so I am still early on.

Got to that early mission where I played poker. Got wrapped up in playing poker for an hour. Walked out winning a lot of money then had to go find the reverend. Guy is choking reverend and then starts fight with me, I can't remember the controls to punch etc, I hit the wrong button and shoot & kill him. Witness sees me and runs away game tells me to follow but I never even saw the witness just heard him yell, nothing on my hud to show where to go. I run around in circles for a minute then I get a mission failure and lose all my progress.

I was like f*** this, shut it off and played The Golf Club. I don't mind that I screwed up the mission but to lose all the progress?? I mean when I left the table why not save my progress there? When the game saw I was not throwing punches why didn't some controls pop up? If the anwser is realism then why have so arbitrary mission failure conditions I didn't know about.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I failed that mission multiple times. The only thing I had to do was reload the checkpoint and run to chase the guy down. It was a weird mission, but there was a red eyeball on the minimap telling me where he was. Never had it where it doesn't show me where to go, so I don't know there.

Every once in a while there is a weird mission where I go 'wtf?' a few times at my TV, but overall those are few and far between.

I'm not sure where your experience would be so different, other than struggling to remember the controls. That could lead to a lot of weird stuff, I'm sure, but even when I fail a mission, I never seem to lose but a minute or so of anything I've done. I have probably failed a dozen missions up to and including Chapter 6, and never had a large chunk I had to replay, except for one where I had to re-fight an entire town because I was a moron.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

In talking this out with my therapist, aka Terry. I've come to the conclusion that my lost progress must be the result of me hitting restart mission instead of check point. :cry:
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Finally had an enjoyable experience last night with the game by not doing story missions and just riding around. I wish there was some kind of button you could press to highlight items you can interact with as sometimes it is hard to see them.

I also lost my hat, which sucks. A cowboy without his hat is just wrong.
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Danimal wrote:Finally had an enjoyable experience last night with the game by not doing story missions and just riding around. I wish there was some kind of button you could press to highlight items you can interact with as sometimes it is hard to see them.
You can. Click LS+RS to enter "Eagle Eye", and that highlights everything you can interact with indoors, or puts big "sparkle clouds" around herbs and things you can pick outdoors.
Danimal wrote:I also lost my hat, which sucks. A cowboy without his hat is just wrong.
While on your horse, hit LB+RB to get to horse inventory, and you can just use RS to the hat to put it back on (and you can use the triggers to choose different hats stored on your horse, too). Anytime it's lost, you can just grab it from your saddlebags, as it miraculously teleports back.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Damn I had trouble robbing the train at Riggs. Managed to stop the train in the middle of the bridge but with a bounty at $300, I just don't have enough bullets to combat the law and pull away with the goodies.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I spent an entire game session trying to bag a perfect panther pelt...unsuccessfully. Frustrating, but yet not. Totally enjoyed the effort and am determined to get this damn thing done.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

RobVarak wrote:I spent an entire game session trying to bag a perfect panther pelt...unsuccessfully. Frustrating, but yet not. Totally enjoyed the effort and am determined to get this damn thing done.
Been there done (or didn’t) that. Tried to get a legend ram. I stress the word “tried”. Was fun though.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Any tips or suggestions in trying to get close enough to the white Arabian horse? Found it but the dang thing keeps running away and then I lost track of it in the snow.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

You have to approach VERY slowly, constantly hitting X as soon as it starts to get jittery. If you move quicker than a snail's pace, it spooks and runs off. Once you get close enough to calm it and can mount it, then you have the old RDR1-style section where you have to avoid getting bucked off to break it.

Once that's done, you can saddle it up.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

TCrouch wrote:You have to approach VERY slowly, constantly hitting X as soon as it starts to get jittery. If you move quicker than a snail's pace, it spooks and runs off. Once you get close enough to calm it and can mount it, then you have the old RDR1-style section where you have to avoid getting bucked off to break it.

Thanks Terry. Stupid me didn't realize I had to hold the L2 button while slowly creeping up on the horse. Therefore, I probably ran after him for a few miles until I realized what I had to do. I finally was able to calm him and climb up, only to be thrown 5 seconds later! I'll have to come back after my frustration goes away. To make matters worse, I was going to try for my 5th attempt at tracking him when I was attacked by these two huge wolves. I was able to kill one and scare away another. I skinned him and rode off for Strawberry. But the dang Butcher wouldn't help me out because I guess I was wanted. I then saw a sheriff's patrol looking for presumably me. Shot him in the back of the head and rode off back to camp (I now have 3 bounties on my head)....a disappointing evening gone wrong! :|

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

TCrouch wrote:You have to approach VERY slowly, constantly hitting X as soon as it starts to get jittery. If you move quicker than a snail's pace, it spooks and runs off. Once you get close enough to calm it and can mount it, then you have the old RDR1-style section where you have to avoid getting bucked off to break it.

It's crazy how some of the quests get bogged down and others go so smoothly. I rode up to track the Arabian. Found it right away, mounted and broke it easily, rode across the lake and killed the legendary bison within like 3 minutes. All this after spending IRL days trying to get a freaking perfect cougar pelt! :lol:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

RobVarak wrote:

It's crazy how some of the quests get bogged down and others go so smoothly. I rode up to track the Arabian. Found it right away, mounted and broke it easily, rode across the lake and killed the legendary bison within like 3 minutes. All this after spending IRL days trying to get a freaking perfect cougar pelt! :lol:

Tried my damndest to get the legendary coyote...nope. Legendary Ram...nope. LOVE THE GAME.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Finished up the story over the weekend, and it was a pretty damned great segue into the original. I still have a few legendary animals to hunt down, and I'm looking forward to Red Dead Online and any DLC. Loved, loved, loved this game.