Rockstar announces Red Dead Redemption - PS3/360

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Rockstar announces Red Dead Redemption - PS3/360

Post by sportdan30 »

I'm definitely enjoying my time with the game the more and more further along I get. I'm very happy with going on a couple missions, getting side tracked along the way, and playing for an hour or two. It certainly helps that the character acting is so good and the story is engaging.

Issues aside, this will go down most likely as my favorite open world experience. The time period is perfect and I do love the ebbs and flow of the game.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I just can't get over how beautiful this game is. I can spend hours doing nothing but riding around at a slow clip admiring the fog in the swamps in the early morning, or watching the rain literally approach over the plains, or just sit and listen to people talk, watch them do their thing, and never see the loop. In the South, I can almost feel the stifling humidity as the cicadas chirp in the trees. The snow in the mountains made me feel cold. The level of detail has no parallel. I'm playing the excellent story, too, but for the first time in a game, I don't feel like I have to stay with the story, nor does it feel like I'm NOT in the story even when I'm just riding around or playing dominoes, or perusing the general store, or hell, taking a bath. I'm just...amazed.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Teal wrote:I just can't get over how beautiful this game is. I can spend hours doing nothing but riding around at a slow clip admiring the fog in the swamps in the early morning, or watching the rain literally approach over the plains, or just sit and listen to people talk, watch them do their thing, and never see the loop. In the South, I can almost feel the stifling humidity as the cicadas chirp in the trees. The snow in the mountains made me feel cold. The level of detail has no parallel. I'm playing the excellent story, too, but for the first time in a game, I don't feel like I have to stay with the story, nor does it feel like I'm NOT in the story even when I'm just riding around or playing dominoes, or perusing the general store, or hell, taking a bath. I'm just...amazed.
The game truly is a classic. There is such a calming factor of just riding around on your horse (I named mine Gordo) and taking it all in. There is so much more of the map I haven’t sniffed yet and it’s been well worth the $$$. I have been doing the main story here and there but don’t feel rushed to get it done. I want to enjoy the experience. Easily a 10 out of 10 for me.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Dumb question. How do you change the name of your horse?
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Go to a Stable. There's a rename horse option when you go to "Manage Currently Owned Horses", I think it was.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Played a little more last night and just decided to not fight the controls, it is what it is. I was able to enjoy it a bit more since I pushed through all the on rails parts of the beginning and it's unreal how alive this world is.

Does Rockstar have a track record of patching their games, might they work on the controls do you think? If so I might go back to AC Odyssey and finish that and wait for a patch.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Their controls pretty much are what they are. As someone mentioned earlier, maybe even you, they've been this way dating back to the PS2 days.
GT = Wilk5280

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Wilk5280 wrote:Their controls pretty much are what they are. As someone mentioned earlier, maybe even you, they've been this way dating back to the PS2 days.
Yeah but I popped in GTA 5 last night and it didn't feel as unresponsive as RDR 2. It's an easy experiment to try if you still have GTA 5 installed. Maybe I'm just hyper focusing on it now and there is no difference at all. I'll stop posting about controls in this thread, this will be my last.
Follow Me on:

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I didn't mean to come off as though I was saying "they are what they are, get over it already". It was more just that their controls have been s*** dating back a long time and I wouldn't expect a patch to improve them.
GT = Wilk5280

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Wilk5280 wrote:I didn't mean to come off as though I was saying "they are what they are, get over it already". It was more just that their controls have been s*** dating back a long time and I wouldn't expect a patch to improve them.

See, I don't see this. I get "they are what they are", and always have been. I don't get "the controls have been sh*t". I just don't fight the controls any more than in any other game I've ever played. They're smoother and more responsive to me now than they were in RDR1, massively so. But really, I've rarely encountered a control issue that jerked me out of the experience. It's mostly just trying to get to my cot and sleep sometimes...lol. Or maybe opening up a chest.

Dunno, maybe I'm just easy to please... :D

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Wilk5280 wrote:I didn't mean to come off as though I was saying "they are what they are, get over it already". It was more just that their controls have been s*** dating back a long time and I wouldn't expect a patch to improve them.
I didn't take it that way, just done beating a dead horse on my part. Plenty of people have no issues with the controls, they don't need to hear me bitching about them.
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

For the record, I just watched a Vaudeville show. The whole show was about 15 minutes, and was actually good. Even encouraged audience participation...lol.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Teal wrote:

See, I don't see this. I get "they are what they are", and always have been. I don't get "the controls have been sh*t". I just don't fight the controls any more than in any other game I've ever played. They're smoother and more responsive to me now than they were in RDR1, massively so. But really, I've rarely encountered a control issue that jerked me out of the experience. It's mostly just trying to get to my cot and sleep sometimes...lol. Or maybe opening up a chest.

Dunno, maybe I'm just easy to please... :D
Rockstar has had a reputation for clunky controls since the beginning of time. They work and maybe calling them s*** is a little (a very little) too strong, but they sure as hell aren't intuitive. Nor are they smooth and responsive. When compared to games like Uncharted or Tomb Raider... Wait. Yep, they're s***! :D
GT = Wilk5280

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Clearly I'm alone in my disappointment :D

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 SETS ALL-TIME WEEKEND RECORD FOR ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY WITH $725M+, BEATS OUT INFINITY WAR

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/red-dead- ... nt=link_ad
Follow Me on:

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

My quick 2 cents. The control are indeed clunky but manageable. The game is overwhelming at first but seems to be getting better with a lot of practice. It's still great but I think the controls deserve criticism. I found this critique to be interesting. Keep in mind the writer said he is still enjoying the game. https://venturebeat.com/2018/10/29/red- ... pointment/

a snippet:
… and the game comes to a halt so Morgan can slowly open each drawer one by one. When you find an item you can take, you pick it up slowly and delicately. And then you do the same thing with anything else you find in the same drawer.

It is a painfully laborious process, but worse — it’s not how I look through drawers.

I get what Rockstar is going for with this. The searching animation looks lifelike. Morgan does not seem like some stiff robot like in a lot of other games. But as the person controlling Morgan, none of this feels lifelike to me.

When I search for my keys or something, it’s a messy process where I move things around haphazardly with two hands. And that’s in my own home. If I were looting some shack in the middle of the mountains after killing a bunch of rival gang members, I’m not going to slowly hold up a pack of cigarettes like it’s some precious possession. I’m going to tear the drawers out and mess them up looking for anything valuable.
I'd recommend reading the rest of the article for an interesting take on video game "realism". I had another experience like this early in the game. After clearing out a camp of the Irish gang i had to go into their cabin looking for a stash of cash and other valuables i might want. It took so long to open drawers and pick up items out that by the time i walked out of the cabin there was a posse of law men waiting for me. I was killed because i stupidly didn't flee and i ended up losing the $600 in cash I had found in the cabin. I"m not sure why i lost the money, maybe it was a glitch or maybe the law men took the money because it was technically stolen, who knows.

Rockstar clearly want you to sloooow down and not just rush from mission to mission. That's fine, but some of the methods they use to do that feel overly cumbersome, monotonous, and frustrating.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

See, I don't mind the "realistic" approach to the drawer opening, the investigating, the bathing, all that. For me, it's not skimping on attention to detail. I appreciate it, perhaps oddly enough. I really love how it plays out in hunting and tracking.

I really think it just comes down to preference.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Funny aside: Those who play online with me know that I'm already pretty country with my drawl, but I've played so much RDR2 that my son said I was starting to sound like Arthur... :lol:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

That's funny...in a few scenes, I've actually thought "that sounded like Teal", so I believe that. :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:Funny aside: Those who play online with me know that I'm already pretty country with my drawl, but I've played so much RDR2 that my son said I was starting to sound like Arthur... :lol:
Pretty country, you f*cking hilljack? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

pk500 wrote:
Teal wrote:Funny aside: Those who play online with me know that I'm already pretty country with my drawl, but I've played so much RDR2 that my son said I was starting to sound like Arthur... :lol:
Pretty country, you f*cking hilljack? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Eh, bite me, you Yankee dick. :D

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

TCrouch wrote:That's funny...in a few scenes, I've actually thought "that sounded like Teal", so I believe that. :lol:
Guilty as charged... :lol:

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Anyone do the "just one drink" mission with Lenny yet? It was funniest thing I've seen in a game since that psychedelic 'falling from the sky thing' in GTA.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yep, that cracked me the hell up. I think I'm near the end of Chapter 4 at this point, but I've been doing a TON of hunting, so it seems I only complete 2 or 3 missions per night. I'll admit that I played it damn near every waking hour from Friday to Sunday, though... :oops:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

greggsand wrote:Anyone do the "just one drink" mission with Lenny yet? It was funniest thing I've seen in a game since that psychedelic 'falling from the sky thing' in GTA.
That was laugh out loud funny.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

TCrouch wrote: I'll admit that I played it damn near every waking hour from Friday to Sunday, though... :oops:
Guilty as charged... :lol: