Rockstar announces Red Dead Redemption - PS3/360

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

"Why Ed, what an ugly thing to say! Does this mean we can't be friends anymore? Y'know, Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend, I just don't think I could bear it."
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

XXXIV wrote:
Sudz wrote:
Que up the TOMBSTONE quotes now for multiplayer...

"I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches. "
Why Ringo... you look like somebody just walked over your grave
"where's Wyatt?". "he's down by the river...walkin' on water"

LOVE TOMBSTONE. It's in my top 10.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Game looks sweet.

I'm wondering how the posse mode works. I might have missed it but it sounds like two team of 8 or 16 can be in a posse so basically it's similar to something you may find on GTA or COD. I guess a concern would be, if they put too many teams then it just turns into what big shooting gallery which takes out expansiveness of the game. If it's limited to two teams, how much time is going to be spent finding the other posse.

Hopefully the modes will be true to western movies. In my perfect world I would love to see these online modes --

Stagecoach - One team has to protect the stagecoach until it gets to its destination.

Rob the train - Kind of like stagecoach but you have to load a outlaw or gold and protect it to a stop. Kind of like 3:10 to Yuma.

Bank Robbing - To utilize the shoot em-ups in the towns of westerns, a posse goes after the bank and there's a shootout in one of the western towns.

I hope they steal some of the things you see in almost all westerns and do more than just have 8 on 8 COD style warfare.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

FYI, Amazon is offering a $20 gift card + their "exclusive" golden guns DLC for RDR preorders right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dead-Redempti ... B001SH7YMG

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Paid it off yesterday! So now we just wait, wait, wait...

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Teal wrote:Paid it off yesterday! So now we just wait, wait, wait...
Cannot wait to give this bad boy a go come the 18th! Gotta watch Open Range this weekend to get in the mood!
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Diablo25 wrote:
Cannot wait to give this bad boy a go come the 18th! Gotta watch Open Range this weekend to get in the mood!
Hell, yeah. I'm going on a Western binge between now and then-Open Range, Magnificent Seven, Tombstone, the Cowboys, True Grit, 310 to Yuma, Young Guns... :D

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Teal wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:
Hell, yeah. I'm going on a Western binge between now and then-Open Range, Magnificent Seven, Tombstone, the Cowboys, True Grit, 310 to Yuma, Young Guns... :D
You guys have the right idea. I popped in The Good The Bad and The Ugly on sunday :)

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Teal wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:

Teal: if you have the chance to check it, have to recommend "Branded" (Alan Ladd). Excellent film/western. Much better then "Shane", IMHO

_

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

vinny-b wrote:
Teal wrote:
Diablo25 wrote: Cannot wait to give this bad boy a go come the 18th! Gotta watch Open Range this weekend to get in the mood!

Teal: if you have the chance to check it, have to recommend "Branded" (Alan Ladd). Excellent film/western. Much better then "Shane", IMHO

_
Damn...I loved Shane. Might have to check that out...

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

XXXIV wrote:
Teal wrote:
Diablo25 wrote: Cannot wait to give this bad boy a go come the 18th! Gotta watch Open Range this weekend to get in the mood!
You guys have the right idea. I popped in The Good The Bad and The Ugly on sunday :)
One of the all-time great films, period. I've got it on Blu-ray. My only gripe is that they don't offer the original theatrical cut anymore, just the extended version. The dubbing of an ancient Eli Wallach (95 years old now!) and Clint Eastwood is jarring.

I remember years ago, before the first Red Dead, thinking about how they could make a Western video game that captured the feeling of a great Western film. I figured the game had to be something like GTA3. It's often the tension leading up to the action that makes a Western so interesting. You need to experience the vast expansiveness of the unsettled West where the land is as much a character as any human.

Games like the original Red Dead Revolver and even Call of Jaurez didn't get it right, but it looks like we've finally got the game to do justice to the Western genre in Red Dead Redemption.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

It is the 18th its being released...right?
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Diablo25 wrote:It is the 18th its being released...right?
yes.

unless a reatailer breaks the street-date. ;)

_

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Free DLC focusing on co-op announced for June:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/05/red-d ... this-june/

“Walton’s Gold”
Walton’s Gang have taken control of a mining camp rich with gold. Fight through the camp and load your mine cart with as much gold as you can carry and get out as fast as you can – Walton’s boys have rigged the place to blow!

“The River”
Ride a raft down river, taking out rebel encampments along the way until you reach the rebel stronghold of Nosalida and a final epic battle for the town’s massive weapons caches. Watch out for Gatling gun-equipped enemy rafts.

“Ammunition”
The Mexican Army has the town of Tesoro Azul under siege. Storm the gates under heavy cannon, Gatling gun and sniper fire to destroy the Mexican artillery placements.

Plus three other unrevealed co-op missions...

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Pre-ordered (via Amazon), totally excited, can't wait to posse up.

I wonder how much you can customize your look for online play?

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Slumberland wrote:I wonder how much you can customize your look for online play?
According to a photo caption on the official site's press release:

"Select any available character you like from the Outfitter for co-op missions"

I don't know how many archetypes that will ultimately equate to but I suppose we will find out soon.

Edited:

Information from an interview:

How extensive are the customization options for your multiplayer avatar?
Kris: When you enter the Outfitter, you can select from nine different character class types including Lawmen, Marshals, Miners or Cattle Rustlers, to name a few, as well a wide range of character models within each type, with more available as you level up. And of course, you will get to choose what breed and type of mount you ride, with some very special breeds available as you progress. In addition, you will be able to give your character a title, and any titles you may have unlocked by completing challenges are will be available here, and will appear over your character’s head so everyone can see what you’ve managed to accomplish. Also, as you level up you’ll gain new weapons to use in Free Roam.

http://www.playstationgamingblog.com/20 ... tion-devs/

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

LAking wrote:
One of the all-time great films, period. I've got it on Blu-ray. My only gripe is that they don't offer the original theatrical cut anymore, just the extended version. The dubbing of an ancient Eli Wallach (95 years old now!) and Clint Eastwood is jarring.
Agree and agree. It is currently #3 on my all time list behind the Godfathers I and II.

The dubbing of Wallach and Eastwood is bad but the dubbing of a dead Van Cleef is even worse.

I do understand their rationale of making it the Italian version, Leone's original cut, before it was shortened for US audiences but they should have included the theatrical version with the blu ray version.

Speaking of Leone. Once Upon A Time in the West with Robards,Bronson,Fonda and Cardinale is also worth watching.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

New Trailer:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zHyxFIB-Lik&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed>

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

the female who is mexican, is hot

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

My all time favorite western is Josey Wales. #2 would be Tombstone. Then Open Range. I love Rooster Cogburn and The Lady, as well...

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Teal wrote:My all time favorite western is Josey Wales. #2 would be Tombstone. Then Open Range. I love Rooster Cogburn and The Lady, as well...
Totally agree with No. 1. Far and away my favorite Western and one of my favorite movies ever. After that it's a bit of a muddle, with My Darling Clementine, Tombstone, Unforgiven, The Wild Bunch all in the hunt.

PS I'm sure I've touted this game before on the forums, but one of my all-time favorite PC games was from SSI in there late-80's heyday. It was called Six-gun Shootout, and it was a turn based tactical game with sort of a proto-XCom style system with movement and action points etc. It had insanely rudimentary graphics, but a huge part of the draw was that it recreated real (or in many cases apocryphal but renowned) gunfights like OK Corral, the Northfield bank robbery etc., as well as some great movie gunfights. Man, I loved that game!!

PPS This tangent reminds me that SSI was on one of the greatest rolls ever for awhile there. Colonial Conquest, Six-gun, Computer Ambush, President Elect(!), Kampfgruppe, Roadwar 2000, Bismark...and about 100 other great ones.

Edit: I wasn't kidding when I said "rudimentary" LOL

XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

RobVarak wrote:
Teal wrote:My all time favorite western is Josey Wales. #2 would be Tombstone. Then Open Range. I love Rooster Cogburn and The Lady, as well...
Totally agree with No. 1. Far and away my favorite Western and one of my favorite movies ever. After that it's a bit of a muddle, with My Darling Clementine, Tombstone, Unforgiven, The Wild Bunch all in the hunt.
Great movies all boys. Now I am inspired and compelled to make a list and who doesnt love lists?

My Top 10 favorite westerns. After my top 5 they become hard for me to seprate so I could go 20-30 easy but I will spare you all the pain.

1)The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
2)The Outlaw Josey Wales
3)Tombstone
4)Unforgiven
5)Once Upon A Time in The West
6)The Magnificent Seven
7)High Noon
8 )Rio Bravo
9)High Plains Drifter
10)For A Few Dollars More

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

11. Back to the Future 3

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

12. BRANDED - Alan Ladd

DookieMowf
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by DookieMowf »

dbdynsty25 wrote:11. Back to the Future 3
LOL!

This game is going to be great! A busy May month, RDR, Alan Wake and UFC 2010. That should tie me over until NCAA release.