Rockstar announces Red Dead Redemption - PS3/360

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Thanks for posting that, Teal...this game looks awesome. I'm really looking forward to it.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Just read this over at Joystiq -- VERY depressing news, if true.

"Sources: Red Dead Redemption development in trouble [update]

by Ben Gilbert { Jan 12th 2010 at 4:00PM }
When we recently spoke with our trusted sources from Rockstar San Diego, in addition to yesterday's information regarding the Midnight Club franchise, we were also told about the allegedly troubled state of Red Dead Redemption. One source said that the game "was a complete disaster for most of 2009 and previous ... it has since turned around a little bit, but there are huge problems with it still." Unsurprisingly, the issues with the game are repeatedly claimed to be the result of mismanagement -- along the same lines as what was mentioned in the recent "Rockstar spouse" letter.

"Red Dead [Redemption] has been in production for six years (mainly because of horrible management/lack of direction due to fear of disrespecting Rockstar NY) and it will never get the money back in sales it cost to create for those six years," claimed another source.

We asked Wedbush Morgan's Michael Pachter to estimate how many copies he thinks Red Dead Redemption needs to sell to make back its development costs and, more importantly for Take-Two, to be profitable. "I'd say realistically, if everybody [at Rockstar San Diego] was working on it this whole time -- so let's assume it's four years to be fair [Red Dead Revolver was released in March 2004], that's $40 million (about $10 million a year to run the studio) -- to make that back and just break even you need at least $80 million in sales; 1.75 million units. For profit: $160 million/3.5 million units."

Pachter added that "it's got a shot" and that, from what he's seen of the game, "it looks phenomenal." Our sources are less hopeful, unfortunately: "The functional team that was Midnight Club was shattered. All the people who didn't quit or get fired were thrown onto Red Dead Redemption, many of them being demoted. The completely disfunctional team that is RDR was put to top priority. The people who had floundered on that project or outright screwed it up were promoted and are now in complete control of the studio, and they're running it into the ground." We'll have to see when the game arrives in stores this April -- if it does.

We contacted Rockstar for comment on this story and have yet to hear back as of publishing.

Update: We were contacted regarding this story by one Rockstar source, who told us: "It will take 5 million sales at full price to recoup the development costs of Red Dead. The good news is they [Rockstar] are not expecting to make money with Red Dead Redemption. At this point, that project is just supposed to prove that the San Diego studio can make a great quality AAA title." If you'd like to contact us regarding this or other stories surrounding the "Rockstar spouse" letter, we'd love to hear from you."

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

GThobbes: have been following RDR intently. Had not checked this report, till you posted. Thank you

to be honest, part way into the letter was expecting it to say cancelled and ready to notify paramedics.

it is interesting. This is a title which have anticipated to pass GTA IV. Tall order. Yet is what have been expecting. One thing we know via the report, the title will have to be released. If the report is valid, what we don't know is how will the quality be ??

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Joystig is about as unreliable a source as you can get. An i am so tired of this pacther dude, I want his job he never has to be right about anything.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

one of the anonymous readers/posters on the site, stated: "Oh well here's to hoping it comes out and is excellent. I don't need another disappointment like GTAIV"

prepare to be dissapointed then.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

for what it's worth. The following was posted by someone on Gamefaqs/ps3/red dead redemption:

"Let me just say this: I know the game and I know many employees who work there.
I won't be buying this game despite my respect and friendship with those at the studio because I know the employees won't see any money I would spend on the game.

I know the changes that are happening to the game as well, and it doesn't bode well. Things that were working are being torn out because they don't have time to finish it.
The whole idea for the last year of development is to throw as many people at the game as possible and hope they can make something out of it. This doesn't really work in development because the new people don't know the systems and end up making more mistakes than anything, which ends up taking more time for everyone to get it right.
I'm sure the game will be good, but I won't be throwing any more money at Rockstar... ever."

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

They'd better not f*** this game up, dammit...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

...giggle...

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

not tryin to hype it, but to me this look like the best game of all-time.

same with the graphics. And this is without even factoring the size and free-roam

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

additional Red Dead (new free roam details):

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/red-dead- ... 2751500025

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/the-l ... dead/61799

:D :D :D

I wish we could skip March...and most of April...

EDIT: D'OH! March Madness...nevermind... :lol:

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Teal wrote:http://www.gametrailers.com/video/the-l ... dead/61799I wish we could skip March...and most of April...
have cows ever looked this beloved in a videogame? :D

what i don't understand is this: why isn't this title receiving more hype? In this age, when picking-up a videogame magazine, all i see is a mixture of demons, aliens, and zombies. And the occasional soldier (COD franchise). And literally, that's it. Not trying to complain, however it do get very tired

very thankful for a franchise like Assassin's Creed. In which history serves as a refreshing diversion in this industry. And it looks like the same on the horizon for Red Dead Redemption.

although, to re-state: At 2 months before release, why isn't this title receiving hype?? Case in point: it wasn't even mentioned in the 2010 Top 20 list, PK had linked

_

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D9FGbqh4rUU&hl ... fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed>

don't understand the lack of hype. This looks to be the greatest game of all-time

_

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Thanks for posting that link, Vinny...this game does look amazing. I can't wait to play it.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Yeah...WOW!
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I'll knock it slightly...not sure if I like the looks of the gunfire gameplay. Around 1:20 (and it other places) he's just kind of standing there in the street taking shots while the screen gets splattered in blood. Gives the impression that you're a tank and the enemies are shooting gallery targets. I don't care for that style of gameplay much anymore.

Still, the world looks great and it seems there is a ton to do. I think a good game in this genre is perfect for videogames, though, and I'm still very interested.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

webdanzer wrote:I'll knock it slightly...not sure if I like the looks of the gunfire gameplay. Around 1:20 (and it other places) he's just kind of standing there in the street taking shots while the screen gets splattered in blood. Gives the impression that you're a tank and the enemies are shooting gallery targets. I don't care for that style of gameplay much anymore.
Sacrifices in the name of gameplay, I'd expect... After all, a Wild West simulator would probably cease to be fun with the life expectancy of many gunmen.

That said, perhaps there are difficulty levels that can make gunplay more deadly.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

GameSeven wrote: Sacrifices in the name of gameplay, I'd expect... After all, a Wild West simulator would probably cease to be fun with the life expectancy of many gunmen.
Understand the concessions and not looking for a sim, but genre convention doesn't usually have the gunslinger getting all shot up as he dispatches the baddies, save for maybe the final scene. I'd rather see the enemies shooting at you as if you were a member of the A-team rather than seeing the jelly hitting the screen, or have you plugging them all before they get a shot off.

Still, can't really judge much off those tiny scenes. Kinda wanting to see more gunfighting gameplay now, though.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Looks great. I've had it ordered for some time now. Dying for some multiplayer info - Cops & Crooks on Horseback??? Let's hope so..
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Looks awesome, never did get in to gta but this is right up my alley and graphics are unbelievable for a game with this scale.

Any Injuns?

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Looks awesome, never did get in to gta but this is right up my alley and graphics are unbelievable for a game with this scale.

Any Injuns?
would imagine. Altho, don't believe there is any scalping. However, you can literally skin any of 40+ different animals

btw, a main component/section of the title is Mexico. Specifically, the civil war in Mexico

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

what if i hit the skin hide button when im finishing of an enemy maybe then it would scalp them, how about walking back to the trader with a skin suit ala silence of the lambs how much would that fetch :twisted:

Your sick Jimmy. :D

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Looking good to me! I've never been a wild west or cowboy fan, but this game looks legit. Another "helllla title" for 2010 as Vinny would say. ;)

Thanks for pointing out this game Vinny. Hopefully it is a fun game and not just a really pretty looking one that is no fun.