p90x workout plan

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Typically an hour for a base workout, and then a 15 min Ab Ripper X on top of that. The Yoga is 90 mins though. If you set aside an hour and a half as far as planning, you'll never really run past that.

Dimmu
Mario Mendoza

Post by Dimmu »

6' 1" 185 and 42 years old. Lift at a club once a week, do a P90X workout once in a while (got bad shoulders and knees) but I do the Ab Ripper X twice a week consistently. That routine alone will kick your butt in the 16+ minutes it lasts. When I started, I had to pause the DVD a couple of times just to catch my breath (Fifer scissors and Mason Twists). Now, I can go through the workout without pausing the DVD and it still kicks my butt every time I do it. Unreal what that workout will do for abs and overall core strength.

I really need to try the Core Synergistics workout but it scares me... :lol:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Dimmu wrote:6' 1" 185 and 42 years old. Lift at a club once a week, do a P90X workout once in a while (got bad shoulders and knees) but I do the Ab Ripper X twice a week consistently. That routine alone will kick your butt in the 16+ minutes it lasts. When I started, I had to pause the DVD a couple of times just to catch my breath (Fifer scissors and Mason Twists). Now, I can go through the workout without pausing the DVD and it still kicks my butt every time I do it. Unreal what that workout will do for abs and overall core strength.

I really need to try the Core Synergistics workout but it scares me... :lol:
Core Synergistics is a b*tch!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

ScoopBrady wrote:I don't want to derail the thread but I just don't have the ability to do P90X with the space I have to workout. Particularly the pull up bar. After my son was born I realized I had let myself go too far (5'8" 201) and I was a prime candidate for a heart attack since I store most of my fat in my belly and chest. I also realized that at age 37 I owed it to my son to get in shape so I would still be around when he was a teenager and able to play boy-type stuff with him when he gets a little older.

In the past 5 weeks I have lost 16 pounds just by doing EA Sports Active workouts and dieting. I cut my calories down to 1500 a day and the past week down to 800 (I'm trying to win a Biggest Loser contest at work). The contest ends Friday and I will go back up to 1500 calories a day and when I feel that I've mastered the EA Sports Active workouts on Hard I will be ready to take the next step in my workouts. Another program I've heard great things about is the Insanity workout which is supposed to be as rigorous as the P90X stuff but you don't need any other equipment outside of your body. Does anybody know anything about this program? I have "obtained" it already but wanted to know if anybody has tried it or knew anybody that has tried it.
I just recently started Insanity - it's nice in the sense that you don't need any equipment at all and the workouts are a bit shorter than p90x (most dvd's in the first round run 40-45mins or so). Make no mistake though you will get your ass kicked for those 45 minutes. The warm ups alone will reduce you to a sweaty mess. While it is really difficult I'm enjoying it so far. It is funny watching the people on the DVD, its not like your usual cast where they are plowing through and crushing the workout, you see half of them breaking down and needing to take breaks.

Overall the focus is much more on core/cardio than gaining any kind of bulk. If you are looking to add some muscle I'd stick with p90x.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Week One is complete. Did the Kenpo today. Probably my favorite so far, even though i'm about as flexible as a coat rack.

Only video i really had trouble with was the Yoga. I only got through about 45 minutes of that one before i had to stop. I mean really, who can bend like that!!! 8O

Regardless, i absolutely love the way i feel after the workouts and i do not see myself giving up on this one. I'm a little terrified of the core synergistics next week but i'm psyched about where i'll be 84 days from now.

Day off tomorrow!!! Let them eat cake!! Or a 20gram of protein nutrition bar in my case. :cry:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

RallyMonkey wrote:Week One is complete. Did the Kenpo today. Probably my favorite so far, even though i'm about as flexible as a coat rack.

Only video i really had trouble with was the Yoga. I only got through about 45 minutes of that one before i had to stop. I mean really, who can bend like that!!! 8O

Regardless, i absolutely love the way i feel after the workouts and i do not see myself giving up on this one. I'm a little terrified of the core synergistics next week but i'm psyched about where i'll be 84 days from now.

Day off tomorrow!!! Let them eat cake!! Or a 20gram of protein nutrition bar in my case. :cry:
I scrapped the yoga workout and just did a major cardio workout...5 mile run or elliptical. Yoga is jut too long and not my bag. Call me a puss. I may be starting up the workout again this week. I have been having back spasms for a month (man did they suck!) but they have been gone for a week now and I think I am ready for Tony to kick my ass again!
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

RallyMonkey wrote:Week One is complete. Did the Kenpo today. Probably my favorite so far, even though i'm about as flexible as a coat rack.

That's exactly how my first week went.

Then when I was finally able to get through Yoga, I realized that the first 45 minutes is the hard part....the last 45 minutes is a lot of postures. Much easier. So you did the hard work and didn't do the easy stuff :lol:

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Then when I was finally able to get through Yoga, I realized that the first 45 minutes is the hard part....the last 45 minutes is a lot of postures. Much easier. So you did the hard work and didn't do the easy stuff
Of course i did. I'm not a very smart man....

I really want to stick with the yoga because even at 45 minutes it felt great the rest of the day. And as i said, i apparently have far less flexibility than i thought. Right now even downward dog is uncomfortable for me....AND THAT'S THE STARTING POSITION FOR EVERYTHING! :oops:

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Week 2 about finished. Kenpo tomorrow morning then the rest of the weekend off which is nice.

Not seeing the weight shred that i was hoping for, but it's only week two so hopefully it will pick up. The good news is that i feel better and the pants and shirts are fitting JUST a bit better already. BRING IT!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

My back is finally healthy (F'n snow) so I may start my second go around on Monday morning. I need it :)
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

BBReBozo
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by BBReBozo »

I've become a huge p90x fan. I completed my first go-through a few weeks ago and the results have been great: 20+ lbs. lost and a good deal of strength gained. I've still got my weak spots--I remain terrible at pull-ups--but practically every other aspect of my fitness has improved a great deal.

It's recommended to take a few weeks off in between the 12-week program of p90x. However, I was so excited to get back into my second round that I only took one week off and proceeded to tear a muscle in my shoulder. That cost me three weeks of work-out time and I'm only now getting back into the swing of things, and taking it very easy as a result.

My favorite part of p90x is that it's made me excited to get to the gym every day and do whatever is on that day's schedule. The constant variety--not to mention the unmistakable results--are a huge motivator for me.
but really, this is 2004, and nearly everything is considered to be gay now

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I still haven't received my order.

I have a UPS tracking number but the status never changes just says billing info received. Time to get on the phone with someone I guess.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Can anyone tell me how they replace the pull up bar with bands? I went all over the place at lunch looking for some kind of door attachment that would put the bands on the top of the door etc and found nothing but attachments that went on the door handle.

A pull up bar won't work for me so I am looking to see how I can substitute it.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Have to say after just over a week with this program it is outstanding. I haven't been in this much pain working out since football in college but man does it feel good.

I can't believe that in a week I and more importantly others can notice a difference. I was doing EA Active before and that's good to get the old heart going and maybe lose a few pounds but this program is where it is at if you want to get in top shape.

I can't do all the exercises and I sure as hell can't do the reps they are doing. Today i had ice packs on my quads all day at work but I won't stop this program, I've never seen such immediate results.

Thanks to everyone who raved about it, because if i had gone to their site without the dozen or so recommendations I had I would of left due to their used car salesman approach and that would of been my loss.

I've got a golf tournament tomorrow and my quads kill and my triceps are sore as hell, I may play like s*** but I really don't care. Oh and one last thing, AbRipperX is pure hell.
Follow Me on:

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Danimal- what did you end doing about the rubberbands? I am thinking of starting this program in a few weeks. I was thinking of getting a pull up bar and attaching the bands to that so I could do either or, the bar or the bands. Do you think that would work?
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

TheTruth wrote:Danimal- what did you end doing about the rubberbands? I am thinking of starting this program in a few weeks. I was thinking of getting a pull up bar and attaching the bands to that so I could do either or, the bar or the bands. Do you think that would work?
I got a door attachment cost like $5, slips through the top of the door and works fine.
Follow Me on:

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Just started week 5 today....Chest, Triceps and Shoulders. All i can say is holy crap. 8O That was one intense workout and i know i'm gonna be pretty sore tomorrow.

Good news is, 9 pounds lost (i've been a little lax on the nutrition plan unfortunately but still not bad) and still going strong.

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

I just finished week 3. I have not followed it exactly as there are some nights I just cannot workout, but am averaging about 5 workouts per week.

I was 6', 198 pounds, heaviest I have ever been. I have lost 11 pounds and feel good as I have much more energy. I am eating much better and have cut down on the beers. My original goal was 185 but now I might try to get to 180.

The workouts are tough but they are so diverse that they keep your attention, they are not boring. The hour goes by pretty fast. The cardio on some of the workouts are great. Very happy I made the investment.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So I took a week off for vacation, then came back and had Core Synergies today and man did it kick my ass. I was drenched, I won't be taking anymore time off until I am done at this point because that was brutal picking it back up.
Follow Me on:

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

EDIT: bought it
Last edited by greggsand on Fri May 14, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I hate legs / back & Ab ripper day. I almost never get the benefit of the ABX workout after doing legs. I am thinking of doing the legs / back in the morning and ABX after work.

Anyone else have these issues?

BTW thanks to Terry for the push on this, best program I have ever done. Results are so immediate it is incredible.
Follow Me on:

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Jumped in today 8O

I'm going with the lean program as I don't really care about building muscleS(I just wanted to get in better shape & lose about 15lbs). The core synergystics kicked my ass royally. I've been doing 45 mins a day on the elliptical for 2+ years, but this was a completely different animal. GOOD STUFF.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

greggsand wrote:Jumped in today 8O

I'm going with the lean program as I don't really care about building muscleS(I just wanted to get in better shape & lose about 15lbs). The core synergystics kicked my ass royally. I've been doing 45 mins a day on the elliptical for 2+ years, but this was a completely different animal. GOOD STUFF.
Anyone worth a damn will tell you that doing the same thing over and over and over again doesn't do you nearly as much good as changing it up. Even if it's going from Bike to elliptical to stair stepper. Change it up! Your body gets used to the repetition. I'm sure you'll see what I mean with P90x...that sh*t is ALWAYS different. Enjoy...after I'm done with my personal training sessions I bought a month back, I may just hit the P90x. Gotta drop some LBs (ACL reconstruction sucks, I don't recommend it). :lol:

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Question. I've taken about 3 weeks off after completing 5 1/2 weeks of the program. The time off was not injury related, just travel and life getting in the way. So I'm trying to decide whether to just pick up at week 5 or start over. What do you guys think?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

RallyMonkey wrote:Question. I've taken about 3 weeks off after completing 5 1/2 weeks of the program. The time off was not injury related, just travel and life getting in the way. So I'm trying to decide whether to just pick up at week 5 or start over. What do you guys think?
Have you done any exercising at all during your hiatus? Remember that they do offer other tools that you can work out in hotel rooms, diet etc. I would start fresh again, get the memory bak for the muscles and sweat it all out again. It's almost summer time, gotta look good. :)