OT Microsoft Closes Flight Sim Producers

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT Microsoft Closes Flight Sim Producers

Post by dougb »

ACES, the studio responsible for the last 2 iterations of the Flight Sim series, has been closed by Microsoft and the staff have been laid off. Perhaps the job of creating this software will be outsourced. I think that the decision is a classic example of the idiocy that seems to be infecting the corporate world these days. Terminating work and development on a first class product, one that consistently sells well, to save $ - for what exactly?

I have a bad feeling that in the new environment we're going to see an increasing trend of homogenization of games, with poorer quality control and less features, because we live in an environment where the only thing that seems to matter is the projections of the bean counters.

I can't imagine that the PC platform is going to survive as anything more that a niche, hobby platform. Perhaps that's not completely a bad thing- some of the smaller company efforts like Matrix (Wargames) and games like New Star Soccer 4 show what can be done when the efforts have to be focused on things other than graphics.

Still, I hate to see the development of the main flight simulator engine terminated- not to mention all those high tech jobs. It makes me laugh when I hear the talking heads continue to prat on about training for high tech jobs etc.

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I just ordered X-Plane for my Mac.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT Microsoft Closes Flight Sim Producers

Post by davet010 »

dougb wrote:
I can't imagine that the PC platform is going to survive as anything more that a niche, hobby platform. Perhaps that's not completely a bad thing- some of the smaller company efforts like Matrix (Wargames) and games like New Star Soccer 4 show what can be done when the efforts have to be focused on things other than graphics.

Still, I hate to see the development of the main flight simulator engine terminated- not to mention all those high tech jobs. It makes me laugh when I hear the talking heads continue to prat on about training for high tech jobs etc.

Best wishes,

Doug
Dunno about that Doug, after all, there are 11m WoW players and a few million players of other MMOs.

Agree about FSX though - I do enjoy a nice relaxing flight round the English countryside now and again.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

johnvon314
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by johnvon314 »

Has Microsoft Gaming Studios or any of its other studios released a PC game in the past year? I can't think of one. It seems MS is moving or has moved entirely to consoles.

As I mentioned in the racing thread, the PC platform is rapidly becoming a niche console with only a few blockbuster releases. It is sad when even profitable and highly rated series such as Flight Simulator are put on the back burner.

John

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

First off there's an update to this story. The media asked Microsoft to respond to the closing of the Flight Sim team. Microsoft said they intend continued support for the Flight Sim series now in the future.

My concern is that Microsoft Train Simulator which I have been waiting for maybe on the chopping block. :(

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

johnvon314 wrote:Has Microsoft Gaming Studios or any of its other studios released a PC game in the past year? I can't think of one. It seems MS is moving or has moved entirely to consoles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Game_Studios

Dos/Windows

# 2007

* Shadowrun
* Zoo Tycoon 2: Extinct Animals
* Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties
* Halo 2 for Windows Vista
* Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Acceleration
* Viva Piñata
* Gears of War(Epic)

# 2008

* Zoo Tycoon 2: Ultimate Collection

# Announced for 2009

* Alan Wake (Remedy Entertainment)
* Microsoft Train Simulator 2

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. A collection really does not count.

Still waiting for a sequel to one of my favorite game from MS.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I love the Flight Sim games, they are among the few that I will buy when they come out, instead of waiting for the price to drop.

I still play them although mostly I play the 2004 edition, because I have a ton of add-ons for it. I use FSX for doing island hopping runs around the Caribbean.

I have a bunch of add-ons for TrainSim also, and was looking forward to its release. The one EA put out a bit ago was pretty good, and I even have fun with Trainz.

When I hear stuff like this I am constantly reminded about a tiny little racing game called Grand Prix Legends, which is still played over a decade after its release. These company spend millions on creating gorgeous graphics and lots of flash, but rarely anymore are there really great games underneath. They cater to the no-attention-span crowd, then get pissed when people buy their games used at Gamestop instead of new. (A while back Sony threatened to not allow Gamestop to sell their games used anymore.)

I have to think that while initial sales of great games with so-so graphics will not sell as well initially, they will do better in the long run as word of mouth gets out, and instead of beating the game in a week and trading it in people will keep them, thus generating sales of new copies instead of pre-owned.

Ah, but if companies thought in the long-term we wouldn't have the economic problems we do now... :?
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I've played every MS Flight Simulator since 4.0 so this is on my can't wait list. I signed up for the Insider Program so hopefully i'll get included.

Here's what I want to know:

1) Are those in game graphics or cut-scene renders?
2) What kind of horsepower will we need to run this thing?
3) Is the global map included, meaning a true representation and not just a small area with autogen producing the rest? There are several 3rd party companies that offer a ton of add-ons that accurately provide GPS ground level mapping. So will Microsoft Flight Simulator finally give us that?
4) What kind of aircraft AI and ground terminal AI can we expect? MS Flight Sim has always had a lonely feeling in the skies. In the past, 3rd party add-ons filled in the gap with mixed results.
5) What kind of tower navigational audio AI will be included?
6) What kind of satellite weather will be offered?

If my PC won't cut it then I guess this game is a system seller for me because i'll just plunk down and buy the top of the line Project Scarlet to run this thing.