OT: Racing 2009 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

pk500 wrote:Another problem with the Abu Dhabi circuit, pointed out by Anthony Davidson on "The Chequered Flag" podcast from the BBC: No gravel traps.

It was WAY too easy for drivers to go off track and lose barely any time at this circuit. All-asphalt run-off areas were pioneered at Paul Ricard after Bernie bought the circuit and turned it into a futuristic test track, and sadly the blight of no gravel traps is being adopted at actual racing circuits.
Yup. Magny Cours, Silverstone, Montreal, Monza, even Monaco's barriers aren't what they were...

I can see benefits to it - presumably costs are lower both for the circuits and the teams that don't have to contend with cars damaged by gravel traps, and it means that the paying public can still see their favourite driver continue if he goes off every so often, but, well, why should they? Why shouldn't the man going off road pay for his error?

If a driver dangles a wheel off the edge of the defined track he should be heading for a loss of time at best and an accident at worst. With the current crop of racetracks he'll gain time instead. Did you see how far off the racing surface they were coming out of the left after the hotel this weekend?

If the tyre situation is anything like the way it's handled at my local garage, the FIA will tell the teams they've run out of the Bridgestones they ordered but can fit a set of GT Radials instead.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Joe Saward speculated in his blog that Bridgestone's departure could open the door for a supplier coming in from the lower ranks of open-wheel racing, such as Kumho.

Saward, former Autosport Grand Prix editor, is very well connected. He usually doesn't float too much unless he's heard something specific. Joe also is one of the true characters of the paddock. An original. He used to wear a baseball cap with the CIA logo when covering the USGP at Indy! :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Another interesting read from Joe Saward on circuit design:

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2009/11/ ... vertaking/

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Toyota pulls out of Formula 1

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80003
Not exactly a huge shock, at least to me. Toyota almost withdrew before this season, and many F1 blogs that I read have indicated there have been rumblings out of Tokyo about this in the last few weeks.

Plus Toyota hasn't exactly been flush with success for the estimated $400-$500 million per season it has spent during its eight seasons as a constructor. Thirteen podium finishes -- woo-hoo, strike up the band.

I do feel bad for the mechanics, truckies and all other support personnel who worked so hard and now are unemployed.

Bridgestone and Toyota's withdrawal could be the tip of the proverbial iceberg of an economic slide for F1. The sport appeared to be fairly immune this season from the economic problems that plagued the world, but that was only because most suppliers, sponsors and commercial partners were under contract for this season, contracts written before the financial meltdown last fall.

Now that those deals have expired, companies are fleeing.

But as the excellent Maurice Hamilton wrote today in The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... ula-one-f1), this could be a blessing in disguise. Toyota, Honda and BMW have left F1 in the last year, and new businesses with racing at their core -- Brawn and now Manor, Campos and USF1 -- are filling the void, joining racing-only Williams as the bedrock of F1.

Businesses that only care about racing -- not those that use the sport only as a marketing tool -- will do what it takes to keep F1 stable and prosperous. Short-term pain, long-term gain.

Take care,
PK

miget33
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by miget33 »

ESPN is reporting Danica Patrick is nearing a deal to drive in the Nationwide series for Dale Jr's team.

a source close to the negotiations described them as "in the final phase."
[url=http://twitter.com/CPatt20]Twitter[/url]

[url=http://mexinjtown.blogspot.com/]My Blog[/url]

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Williams Technical Director Sam Michael also thinks circuit design is the main deterrent to overtaking in F1:

http://www.inracingnews.com/formula-one ... f-passing/

Take care,
PK

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Mercedes takes over Brawn F1 team

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 362295.stm

Not liked i'm shocked

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Rodster wrote:Mercedes takes over Brawn F1 team

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 362295.stm

Not liked i'm shocked
Yeah, it was just a matter of time on this deal. It makes total sense and will be good for F1. Mercedes will now have an even higher profile in the sport and Brawn can spend more time doing what he's best at.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

The Finnish press are reporting that Kimi Raikkonen is to take a sabbatical in 2010. With luck, and unlike the last quick but inconsistent Finn to do that, he'll be back at some point.

It's looking a lot like Smurf and I are going to get our wish. Our boy Quick Nick might just be reversing into one hell of a drive, whether with Merc or McLaren. The Times newspaper, by the way, are reporting that Merc/Brawn have offered Button the £8million he asked for, and that the talk from his camp of demands not being met is nonsense...

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Button to McLaren: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 363892.stm

Raikkonen is set to do Rallying next year which he showed promise this year:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 365967.stm

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

If Button is looking for a challenge, he has it. Kudos to him, especially since Hamilton probably will outscore him by 20 points in 2010. The defending World Champion will be the clear No. 2, learning there's just a smidge of a difference between Lewis Hamilton and Rubens Barrichello.

In fact, I think Hamilton will beat Button by a wider margin than Alonso will beat Massa, if Alonso beats Massa at all.
Rodster wrote:Raikkonen is set to do Rallying next year which he showed promise this year:
Odd. Raikkonen's manager claims he's taking a sabbatical because no team can afford his salary demands, so he's going rallying? There's no team in the WRC that can afford even half of what Kimi was demanding from McLaren. Maybe not even a third.

So let's see: Make probably $5 million, tops, in a much more dangerous sport in which you're not going to be among the elite.

Then again, it's Raikkonen, the king of "I don't give a f*ck." So maybe it does make perfect sense.

Take care,
PK

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

You think Alonso will have trouble with Massa as in pace?

There's also a rumor floating around and I believe it came from Autosport or F1-Live.com that Kubica is set to join Alonso at Ferrari in 2011. This comes from the fact they are both friends, Massa's contract ends in 2010 and Kubica signed a 1 year contract with Renault.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:You think Alonso will have trouble with Massa as in pace?
I do, for three reasons.

One, Felipe Massa is a fast driver. Anyone who can take Lewis Hamilton to the absolute limit has fearsome speed.

Two, Felipe Massa is tough as hell in the head. The championship battle of 2008 proved that. He didn't cave under the pressure. Alonso has a history of throwing the toys out of the pram when things don't go his way, so I think Massa has the mental edge.

Three, Felipe Massa is entrenched and beloved at Ferrari. Everyone likes him; hell, he's a likable guy. Plus he knows how the team works, who to approach and in what fashion, etc.

Look at Alonso's teammates since he became World Championship material around 2003. Crap except for 2007. Trulli in 2003, 2004. Fisichella in 2005, 2006. Piquet in 2008, 2009.

The one year Alonso had a formidable teammate in a great car, Hamiton in 2007 at McLaren, he was beaten within his garage and acted like a spoiled 4-year-old. The guy must be coddled, told how special he is, reminded how he is the chosen son. I'm not sure he's going to get that utter affection and devotion at Ferrari when the admired and fast Massa is on the other side of the garage.

Doubt Massa's speed and ability to beat Alonso at your peril.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Raikkonen is set to do Rallying next year which he showed promise this year:
Odd. Raikkonen's manager claims he's taking a sabbatical because no team can afford his salary demands, so he's going rallying? There's no team in the WRC that can afford even half of what Kimi was demanding from McLaren. Maybe not even a third.

So let's see: Make probably $5 million, tops, in a much more dangerous sport in which you're not going to be among the elite.

Then again, it's Raikkonen, the king of "I don't give a f*ck." So maybe it does make perfect sense.
I'm assuming he would only do the rally if it didn't violate his payment due from Ferrari. I'm sure that his buyout would be cut or canceled by whatever he made at another F1 team, but it may not be by racing in a series in which Ferrari does not field a team. He could be coming out richer than if he hadn't lost his ride.

I know he doesn't give a f*** but I don't think he's stupid.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Good points, E!

Take care,
PK

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The Kimi rumor is that yes he gets more money IF he sits on the sidelines and doesn't drive in F1 next year. If he drove in F1 next year his Ferrari buyout would be less. That's why all the teams who were interested weren't willing to pay his asking price knowing full well Ferrari was paying his salary in 2010.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Some brilliant over-emoting all over the Web regarding the Iceman's departure. Those who don't read James Allen's blog (No! Come back! He's fine when you don't have to listen to his voice!) might want to have a look at the comments thread on Kimi's sabbatical and wonder what might happen if some of the participants ever really lost something.
Rodster wrote:The Kimi rumor is that yes he gets more money IF he sits on the sidelines and doesn't drive in F1 next year. If he drove in F1 next year his Ferrari buyout would be less. That's why all the teams who were interested weren't willing to pay his asking price knowing full well Ferrari was paying his salary in 2010.
From what I understand, his Ferrari payout was going to fall by £7million if he signed for another F1 team next year. McLaren are paying less than that for a man who'll do what they ask on the PR side and bring the added value of number 1 on their car.

Of course he's not as fast either, but perhaps that suits. Given that this deal suggests he wasn't asking the Earth, Brawn/Mercedes letting their champion go apparently without that much of a struggle is interesting. Can we assume the feeling inside the team is that his progress towards the title really was as laboured as it seemed?

While I'm assuming things, let's run with the idea that it's going to be Heidfeld at Mercedes. A lot of people seem to be a bit put out by the idea, and there's this idea that Nick isn't a top-line driver, that Kubica has blown him away. Why? Is he too Steady Eddie for people to take notice of? In 2 of their 3 full seasons together, Kubica finished behind his teammate in the championship, and in the other year, when Nick couldn't seem to get on with the car or tyres (2008, especially in qualifying trim), the margin was only 15 points. The guy can drive - Patrick Head loves him, and his performance next to Webber at Williams suggests he's at least on Mark's level - and I would love to see him land a decent drive for 2010.

Rod, I can't recall where the Kubica rumour started, but I blogged it a month ago because it makes an enormous amount of sense. Didn't Kubica say he'd have been in the Ferrari at Monza if they could have negotiated a release from the BMW deal or something like that? As far as Massa and Alonso go, I agree wholly with PK. Massa is far from the wild, woolly, inconsistent hazard he used to be, Ferrari is his team these days and he has enough previous with Alonso that Fernando will know he can't be intimidated. Should be a hell of a battle, that one.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

GB_Simo wrote: Rod, I can't recall where the Kubica rumour started, but I blogged it a month ago because it makes an enormous amount of sense. Didn't Kubica say he'd have been in the Ferrari at Monza if they could have negotiated a release from the BMW deal or something like that? As far as Massa and Alonso go, I agree wholly with PK. Massa is far from the wild, woolly, inconsistent hazard he used to be, Ferrari is his team these days and he has enough previous with Alonso that Fernando will know he can't be intimidated. Should be a hell of a battle, that one.
You are correct m8. If it weren't for BMW he would have taken Fisi's seat. I'll check the Autosport archives if such exists.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I found these articles Adam:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... ng-F1.html

Robert Kubica – Ferrari Enquiring About Him
http://f1bits.wordpress.com/2008/05/05/ ... about-him/

Kubica Looking For A Seat In The 2011 Ferrari F1 Car
http://www.easycarblog.com/2009/10/kubi ... -car.html/

F1 : Report - Robert Kubica to Renault Formula 1 team with an eye on Ferrari external link
http://autolust.com/Ferrari/post:f1-rep ... n-ferrari/

Smurfy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Smurfy »

GB_Simo wrote:While I'm assuming things, let's run with the idea that it's going to be Heidfeld at Mercedes. A lot of people seem to be a bit put out by the idea, and there's this idea that Nick isn't a top-line driver, that Kubica has blown him away. Why? Is he too Steady Eddie for people to take notice of? In 2 of their 3 full seasons together, Kubica finished behind his teammate in the championship, and in the other year, when Nick couldn't seem to get on with the car or tyres (2008, especially in qualifying trim), the margin was only 15 points. The guy can drive - Patrick Head loves him, and his performance next to Webber at Williams suggests he's at least on Mark's level - and I would love to see him land a decent drive for 2010.

Rod, I can't recall where the Kubica rumour started, but I blogged it a month ago because it makes an enormous amount of sense. Didn't Kubica say he'd have been in the Ferrari at Monza if they could have negotiated a release from the BMW deal or something like that? As far as Massa and Alonso go, I agree wholly with PK. Massa is far from the wild, woolly, inconsistent hazard he used to be, Ferrari is his team these days and he has enough previous with Alonso that Fernando will know he can't be intimidated. Should be a hell of a battle, that one.
I'm definitely in agreement on Heidfeld. It was precisely his time at Williams with Webber that convinced me of his talent. I hope he does finally get that ride with a Mercedes in the back of the car.

I'm also in full agreement with PK And Adam on Massa. Even more than Heidfeld's performance against Webber, Massa's performance against Raikkonen has convinced me of his ability now.

As for McLaren, we'll finally get to see if Emperor Button's got some clothes on. I eagerly await that part of 2010.

Not having Kimi around is going to bother me, but I'd love to see who wins the battles between teammates and I hope Vettel gets into the fight early next season.

dellsmaith
Mario Mendoza

Post by dellsmaith »

spam

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

^^^Spam

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Looks like Kimi is coming to grips with reality that no team is going to pay his price knowing full well he's getting paid by Ferrari as well.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80215

Raikkonen would consider Mercedes

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Smurfy wrote:Not having Kimi around is going to bother me, but I'd love to see who wins the battles between teammates and I hope Vettel gets into the fight early next season.
The Red Bull fight will be the least interesting and probably will feature the biggest gap between teammates in 2010. Vettel will handle Webber with relative ease.

People forget Vettel is entering just his third full season of F1. It seems like he's been part of the F1 furniture for five or six years. He still has plenty of improvement in his future, which is a bit scary.

Mark Webber is F1's classic "almost man." The guy has been in F1 nearly a decade and still hasn't done the business. He gets a HUGE pass from the F1 media because he's a no-nonsense hard man much in the visage of fellow Aussie Alan Jones, and he's also a very good guy who is very available to the media.

But how often has Webber truly delivered a vintage drive, like Vettel did in just his second full-time season in the wet at Monza? How often has Webber taken a strong qualifying spot and turned it into a sow's ear in races?

Hardly ever and way too often, respectively.

You'll see an ever-widening gap between Vettel and Webber in 2010. Webber isn't going to improve. Meanwhile, the potential for greatness is massive for Vettel, and he's already shown signs of fulfilling it.

Take care,
PK