MLB 2K9 Official Thread of 360 owners fingers crossed

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Waddupcouzin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Waddupcouzin »

I am having a blast with the game, and as a Rays fan, I am glad for the bump in stats! However, I have seen several "goofy" running errors, two that cost me some runs. One were Pat Burrell had a stand-up Triple, he's standing on third minding his own business, the computer throws the ball to third and then I'm out! Straight BS, my nephew laughed his ass off!

Definitely the best pitcher vs. Batter interface that I've seen yet. I'm using GURU's sliders and having an absolute blast!

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Waddupcouzin wrote:I am having a blast with the game, and as a Rays fan, I am glad for the bump in stats! However, I have seen several "goofy" running errors, two that cost me some runs. One were Pat Burrell had a stand-up Triple, he's standing on third minding his own business, the computer throws the ball to third and then I'm out! Straight BS, my nephew laughed his ass off!
Maybe this is a good sign. Burrell with a standup triple? Perhaps the game has a detector of plays that will never, ever happen in real life and rejects them in game. :)

Waddupcouzin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Waddupcouzin »

If it would have been BJ Upton, then maybe ;-)

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Waddupcouzin wrote: Definitely the best pitcher vs. Batter interface that I've seen yet. I'm using GURU's sliders and having an absolute blast!
Where did you find those sliders?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Teal wrote:
I'm a casual baseball guy. I'm playing the game without tweaking a thing, zone batting, all that, and I'm having alot of fun with it. Anything I've noticed is negligible, and hasn't affected gameplay, so much as aesthetics. But even that is no big deal. It's a very good game of baseball.
Teal, you are using "zone hitting" with the cursor?

Waddupcouzin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Waddupcouzin »

JackB1 wrote:
Waddupcouzin wrote: Definitely the best pitcher vs. Batter interface that I've seen yet. I'm using GURU's sliders and having an absolute blast!
Where did you find those sliders?
In the menu screen...Go to the 2K Share menu...GURU Sliders...Download'em. Then of course you have to load then to use'em. Let me know what you think of them.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

JackB1 wrote: I'm sure if you up the pitch speeds, it will get harder, but to me Zone Hitting is the way to go. The dfault method is purely timing based and more for the casual "pick up and play" gamer.
I am a "casual" gamer.. and I really like the swing stick.. the issue I'm having is I don't strike out very often. I'll raise the pitch speed and see if that helps.

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

Bigfnjoe has a slider set on 2kshare as well
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

MizzouRah wrote:
JackB1 wrote: I'm sure if you up the pitch speeds, it will get harder, but to me Zone Hitting is the way to go. The dfault method is purely timing based and more for the casual "pick up and play" gamer.
I am a "casual" gamer.. and I really like the swing stick.. the issue I'm having is I don't strike out very often. I'll raise the pitch speed and see if that helps.
raise pitch speed to the point of where a 92+ mph fastball will get by you if you aren't "ready for it". you can also lower human contact slider.
you should be able to find something that causes you to strike out at least 4-5 times per game. Better yet would be 7-9 times per game. I am getting realistic nos. using zone hitting.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

It is very confusing the way they use the term "Zone Hitting". In past years this just meant moving the right stick to a zone to hit the ball to a certain location - push the stick to the right to try to hit it to the right side.

Here it is really a kind of cursor hitting. It is a mix of terminology and it took me a while to figure out how it worked. The manual was no help.

I hope that 2K comes out with a PDF manual like they have done in the past like for NBA 2K9 that contains more information- I feel like there is a lot of good information here that I don't exactly know how to use.

For example, when you get runners on base they can be yellow, orange or green. Does green mean the player is fast? Or when the AI has a runner on base and you see a percentage next to their name like 35. Does this mean their tendency to steal? Does a fast player have a higher tendency or is it situation based?

It also took me a little while to figure out how to play a pick up game with AAA teams - I think you click the right stick during team selection. I don't think you can mix AAA and MLB teams.

I tried to get some information over at OS, but the place is a war zone right now with all kinds of complaining going on about the game.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

How do you steal in the game? I bought, yes I said bought "BD" the PC version. The manual says press A to select the runner then press up with the right analog stick to send the man to second base but nothing happens.

Btw the game runs buttery smooth and my ancient 2 year old PC with all the bells and whistles maxed out. Also the guys over at mvpmods are already looking into editing the game. :D

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

to steal you hold down the LT for the selected or LB for all runners. When you're ready to steal the base, you let go of LT/LB. you have to time it perfectly or you'll be gunned. The number next to the baserunner is the steal rating I believe and the higher the rating the better success the runner will have. I hadn't noticed the different colors of the human baserunners.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Thanks TG, i'll give it a shot the next time I get a runner on. The Dodgers are shutting out my Marlins 1-0 in the third. I really like this game and it looks stunning on a PC. It puts the 360 version to shame.

Btw it appears someone at OS is close to figuring out the aggressive batter issue. If you find out can you post it here? Also how to I enable 3 step pitching TG? I haven't messed with the controls so I assume based on what you told me the last time i'm using 2 step pitching.

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

somebody posted that if you turn down the AI Batting Pitch influence to 0 would help, but others are saying it doesn't work. I think you just have to pitch. throw some pitches out of the zone and then the cpu will take some pitches. I mostly stay off of the corners w/breaking stuff and the cpu will take.

To enable the 3 step, go into controller setup-pitching section, turn release timing on with the Y button

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

JackB1 wrote:
Teal wrote:
I'm a casual baseball guy. I'm playing the game without tweaking a thing, zone batting, all that, and I'm having alot of fun with it. Anything I've noticed is negligible, and hasn't affected gameplay, so much as aesthetics. But even that is no big deal. It's a very good game of baseball.
No, I meant that I haven't switched anything, out of the box, including from swing stick to 'zone' whatever that is. I like the swing stick.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

TheGamer wrote:somebody posted that if you turn down the AI Batting Pitch influence to 0 would help, but others are saying it doesn't work. I think you just have to pitch. throw some pitches out of the zone and then the cpu will take some pitches. I mostly stay off of the corners w/breaking stuff and the cpu will take.

To enable the 3 step, go into controller setup-pitching section, turn release timing on with the Y button
I don't see that option when I bring up the controller options TG. Btw i'm using a wired X360 controller. Here are the options I get under pitching:

Pause Menu
Unused
Brings up/hide pitch overlay
Coaches clipboard
Coaches clipboard
Coaches clipboard
Coaches clipboard
Aim pitch up
Aim pitch down
Aim pich left
Aim pitch right
Pitch up
Pitch down
Pitch left
Pitch right
Pull and hold for pickoffs
Lock pitch location
Shake off pitch
Unused
Pitch out
Intentional Walk

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

TheGamer wrote:to steal you hold down the LT for the selected or LB for all runners. When you're ready to steal the base, you let go of LT/LB. you have to time it perfectly or you'll be gunned. The number next to the baserunner is the steal rating I believe and the higher the rating the better success the runner will have. I hadn't noticed the different colors of the human baserunners.
Thanks, I couldn't figure that out either! The onscreen controls just say "Left Trigger".

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

look underneath the controller on the screen. you should see:

Y Release Timing OFF
A Breakpoint or Pinpoint Aim

Just hit Y to turn on Release Timing. If you have the PC version it may be different, but I wouldn't think so.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Teal wrote:
JackB1 wrote:
Teal wrote:
No, I meant that I haven't switched anything, out of the box, including from swing stick to 'zone' whatever that is. I like the swing stick.
It's confusing. "Zone Hitting" is the same as "cursor hitting" in this game. You are using the default or timing only based hitting.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Rodster wrote:
TheGamer wrote:somebody posted that if you turn down the AI Batting Pitch influence to 0 would help, but others are saying it doesn't work. I think you just have to pitch. throw some pitches out of the zone and then the cpu will take some pitches. I mostly stay off of the corners w/breaking stuff and the cpu will take.

I don't see that option when I bring up the controller options TG. Btw i'm using a wired X360 controller. Here are the options I get under pitching:

Pause Menu
Unused
Brings up/hide pitch overlay
Coaches clipboard
Coaches clipboard
Coaches clipboard
Coaches clipboard
Aim pitch up
Aim pitch down
Aim pich left
Aim pitch right
Pitch up
Pitch down
Pitch left
Pitch right
Pull and hold for pickoffs
Lock pitch location
Shake off pitch
Unused
Pitch out
Intentional Walk
I think its under the general options. Its a separte item near the bottom...it's listed all by itself. Look again, you'll see it.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

JackB1 wrote: I think its under the general options. Its a separte item near the bottom...it's listed all by itself. Look again, you'll see it.
I still don't see it. I went to practice mode and they refer to it in the pitching tutorial but I can't find a way to enable it, LOL.

Waddupcouzin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Waddupcouzin »

Naples39 wrote:
Waddupcouzin wrote:I am having a blast with the game, and as a Rays fan, I am glad for the bump in stats! However, I have seen several "goofy" running errors, two that cost me some runs. One were Pat Burrell had a stand-up Triple, he's standing on third minding his own business, the computer throws the ball to third and then I'm out! Straight BS, my nephew laughed his ass off!
Maybe this is a good sign. Burrell with a standup triple? Perhaps the game has a detector of plays that will never, ever happen in real life and rejects them in game. :)
LOL! I just re-read that and got it. Too Funny!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

JackB1 wrote:
raise pitch speed to the point of where a 92+ mph fastball will get by you if you aren't "ready for it". you can also lower human contact slider.
you should be able to find something that causes you to strike out at least 4-5 times per game. Better yet would be 7-9 times per game. I am getting realistic nos. using zone hitting.
Thanks, I'll try that. The pitching seems slow anyway.. when a closer comes in a pitches a 97 mph and I don't guess fastball, I should wiff.

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

MizzouRah wrote:
JackB1 wrote:
Thanks, I'll try that. The pitching seems slow anyway.. when a closer comes in a pitches a 97 mph and I don't guess fastball, I should wiff.
I have pitch speed at 90 now and it still seems a bit slow.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

TheGamer wrote:look underneath the controller on the screen. you should see:

Y Release Timing OFF
A Breakpoint or Pinpoint Aim

Just hit Y to turn on Release Timing. If you have the PC version it may be different, but I wouldn't think so.
TG, I found the amswer on the 2K Sports forum:

"To access the options which are basically hidden, go to Option -> Controller Settings -> then hit the number 4 button on your keyboard. You can also left click the left joystick on xbox 360 controllers to get the menu to pop up. I guess if you wait and watch the scrolling messages on the bottom, you will eventually see this stated. There are also options for the batters eye, zone hitting, classic batting etc."

http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.p ... ost2295394