MLB 2K9 Official Thread of 360 owners fingers crossed

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Well, I played the demo over the weekend. It's definitely miles better in terms of gameplay than it was a year ago, but I found myself bored only after a couple innings.

+ Presentation is superb, but I am a little tired of hearing Gary Thorne after hearing him in the NHL series. Still, this new announcing crew sounds very good.

+ Outfields seems bigger. I always felt that the 2K series had these little league looking fields. Now, it seems more realistic looking.

+ Fielding controls are quite nice. They do feel quite responsive.

+ Immediately, you can see there are a variety of hits in this game.

- Granted I'm playing on the PS3 which I suppose is a port, but the graphics are disappointing IMO. I first noticed the jaggedness of the field and other parts of the stadium. Additionally, player models, especially those shown in the dugout are borderline awful. It doesn't feel next gen to me whatsoever.

- There's a robotic feel to the players that to me detaches me from the game. It just doesn't have that natural feeling I would prefer to see. It's odd to see a player turn 45 or 90 degrees back in to position and his legs aren't moving.

- Perhaps a slider adjustment can be made, but the pitches are just so dreadfully slow in appearance. Yes, it gives the gamer more time to react, but it feels and looks like little league pitching. Don't get me wrong, it's fun to pitch, but you don't feel like you are overpowering the batter with a blistering fastball. As long as you hit your location with the yellow circle at its max, your almost guaranteed a swing and a miss by the batter.

- Unless a patch is released to correct the computer from hacking at everything thrown to him, then this is undeniably the most frustrating aspect of the game. This was perhaps the number one reason why I just couldn't find myself enjoying the demo. It literally just felt like batting practice. There was very little strategy involved.

- Other little annoyances: bat sounds, lack of celebrations on homeruns, strange movements by the fans who can't seem to get comfortable in their seats, lack of practice swings unless I'm missing it.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

I think the demo is very good on the 360. I could care less about correct batting stances or any of the other little nuances, such as the cardinals wearing their red caps on the road. I don't see any of that as being a gamebreaker. I want a game I can pick up and play, that plays a good game of ball in about 30 minutes and 2K9 will provide that at least for me. I love the pitching and the hitting as well as the fielding...looks good, feels good to me. I also think the graphics are fine on the 360 version..stadiums look great and the lighting is fantastic. Best baseball game available to me since MVP 2005 without a doubt.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

A lot of the problems people are finding won't bother me. The majority of my baseball gaming time the past two years has been spent with the Power Pros series, so realism isn't all that important to me. That being said, I can see why people are pissed about some of the problems the game has, especially when the competition doesn't have those problems. When you get the exclusive MLB license and release a bug filled game with less options year after year, you deserve all the criticism you get.

The one thing that has me very worried though are the reports of game freezing in franchise mode. This has long been a problem with 2K sports games, and the one problem that will absolutely kill the game for me. Todd over at Abner's blog has now played 11 games in his franchise, just trying to get through the opening series. He has much more patience than I do, because after the second freeze in a row I would be done with the game for good, no matter how much fun the game is to play.

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

HipE wrote:A lot of the problems people are finding won't bother me. The majority of my baseball gaming time the past two years has been spent with the Power Pros series, so realism isn't all that important to me. That being said, I can see why people are pissed about some of the problems the game has, especially when the competition doesn't have those problems. When you get the exclusive MLB license and release a bug filled game with less options year after year, you deserve all the criticism you get.

The one thing that has me very worried though are the reports of game freezing in franchise mode. This has long been a problem with 2K sports games, and the one problem that will absolutely kill the game for me. Todd over at Abner's blog has now played 11 games in his franchise, just trying to get through the opening series. He has much more patience than I do, because after the second freeze in a row I would be done with the game for good, no matter how much fun the game is to play.
For some reason, I have had a ton of freezing problems with 2k games on my 360, but none with 2k games on my PS3.

I played 3 full games with the retail version. I think it's fun but I think that it would get less fun real quick for me. Too many niggling issues that just bring the experience down over a period of time.

Again, I don't care about stances or pitch motions or hats being the right color. I could possibly see getting this game like I did last year, as a fun pick up and play game that's a nice alternative to the Show. But I'll wait for the price drop, in it's current condition and considering how I would play it, I can't see dropping 60 bucks on it.
-BK

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Teal wrote: True that. I just want to 'feel' like I'm at the ballpark, or at least watching a broadcast, and that 2K9 has in spades. It also plays a pretty damned good game of baseball, from my demo impressions. Don't understand what else one could want from a representation of the sport, but, well...some people have too much time on their hands, I suppose...
2K9 does a really fine job in the presentation dept, no thanks to Gary Thorne and Co. 8)

I think the problem most have with the game is when they compare it to The Show. Then the issues become glaring. I'm not bothered by any of the issues with the exception of the AI swinging at just about everything close to the strike zone. Some over at OS say that VC is aware of the problem and is trying to find a solution for it. So stay tuned everyone.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

So gamestop won't have this until tommorrow, right?

This is the first time I can recall that SO MANY people aleady have the game before actual release day.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Rodster wrote:
Teal wrote: True that. I just want to 'feel' like I'm at the ballpark, or at least watching a broadcast, and that 2K9 has in spades. It also plays a pretty damned good game of baseball, from my demo impressions. Don't understand what else one could want from a representation of the sport, but, well...some people have too much time on their hands, I suppose...
2K9 does a really fine job in the presentation dept, no thanks to Gary Thorne and Co. 8)

I think the problem most have with the game is when they compare it to The Show. Then the issues become glaring. I'm not bothered by any of the issues with the exception of the AI swinging at just about everything close to the strike zone. Some over at OS say that VC is aware of the problem and is trying to find a solution for it. So stay tuned everyone.
Well, since I don't plan on plunking down 400 bucks for a console just to play The Show, I don't have to compare it to that-I can just compare it to the rest of the baseball games coming out for the 360 this year...<crickets>

I like the Show-alot. I had it on the PSP last year, and it was terrific. But, the comparison game is moot for me.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

Teal wrote: I like the Show-alot. I had it on the PSP last year, and it was terrific. But, the comparison game is moot for me.
How was the Show on PSP last year? I had it a few years ago and really enjoyed it, except for the fact that I would get about 15+ hits every game. Even on the hardest settings.

I really liked 2K8 last year, except for the fact that I never seemed to walk any of the CPU hitters.

So Im debating btween 2K9 for the 360 or The Show for PSP. I guess 2K9 for PSP would be an option but there seems to be no buzz about that one.

Rick

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

icvu42 wrote:
Teal wrote: I like the Show-alot. I had it on the PSP last year, and it was terrific. But, the comparison game is moot for me.
How was the Show on PSP last year? I had it a few years ago and really enjoyed it, except for the fact that I would get about 15+ hits every game. Even on the hardest settings.

I really liked 2K8 last year, except for the fact that I never seemed to walk any of the CPU hitters.

So Im debating btween 2K9 for the 360 or The Show for PSP. I guess 2K9 for PSP would be an option but there seems to be no buzz about that one.

Rick
The Show on PSP has no peer...on PSP.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I have MLB 06 for the PSP. Did they finally add umps to the game?

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I enjoyed the Show on PSP last year. Just took me back to my High Heat roots batting wise and I enjoyed that.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:I have MLB 06 for the PSP. Did they finally add umps to the game?
Nope, and they probably never will. The PSP doesn't have the horsepower.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Nope, and they probably never will. The PSP doesn't have the horsepower.
Since when did you take over doing PR at Tiburon? :wink:

The game may stink but by golly 2k PSP has had the umps since the getgo.

What is that? Even MVP (theoretically 2005) had them on the PSP?

Those lazy bastards working on "the show". Same boring pitching and hitting mechanics all these years on the PS2 and PS3 and still no umps for PSP. Wow glad I have me a 360. :lol:
Last edited by bdoughty on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[url=http://sites.google.com/site/bmdsooner/]My place for games![/url]

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Anyone play MLB2K8 on the PSP? Is it any good?

slyguy
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by slyguy »

Rodster wrote:Anyone play MLB2K8 on the PSP? Is it any good?
This is something i like to know as well

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

BD,

Those games are sh*t though. As soon as they put the Umps in The Show on the PSP which was the question asked, come talk to me.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Somebody at OS thinks he found the answer as to why the AI is so aggressive at the plate.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/2 ... issue.html

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

dbdynsty25 wrote:BD,

Those games are sh*t though. As soon as they put the Umps in The Show on the PSP which was the question asked, come talk to me.
Yo dog, u was the one dissing the PSdoubleP.
dbdynsty25 wrote:The PSP doesn't have the horsepower.
Go take yo hating to dat other baseball thread, u skippn this game anyway.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Remember what I said about needing the spotlight?

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/2 ... -good.html

and all the sheeple can feel good about buying 2K9 again.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'll say this, at least it's a fun game just from playing the demo. Although the outfield slowdown bug got me and I gave up an inside the park HR. :(

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I just find it interesting how passionate people are over this whole 2k9/the show stuff. It's like people think their life will be ruined if they buy 2k9. Wacky...
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

greggsand wrote:I just find it interesting how passionate people are over this whole 2k9/the show stuff. It's like people think their life will be ruined if they buy 2k9. Wacky...
Or somehow more fulfilled if they buy The Show. The nuts go all the way through the brownie.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Teal wrote:
greggsand wrote:I just find it interesting how passionate people are over this whole 2k9/the show stuff. It's like people think their life will be ruined if they buy 2k9. Wacky...
Or somehow more fulfilled if they buy The Show. The nuts go all the way through the brownie.
Teal,

Nice pic of Charlie Daniels you've got there, bro. :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

I think 2k9 is a lot of fun based on the demo. I just wish they had included the cursor hitting and a better difficulty level in it. What is there now is way too easy. The look and feel of the game, though, is nice. It's too bad that there are so many glitches being reported.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Teal wrote:
Gurantsu wrote:I'm with ya Teal. As long as it plays a fun game of ball I'll be happy. Hell, I rarely notice the bugs people talk about anyway.

Geez, I'd love to take some of those dudes at OS back to the days of yore, playing baseball on my Commadore 64. I think their heads would explode.
I wonder how in the hell any of them ever played baseball on the intellivision, atari, or even the super nintendo, either... :lol:
I played hundreds of games of the Mattel baseball game on the Atari 2600, was great fun back in the day!