MLB 2K9 Official Thread of 360 owners fingers crossed

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Graphically it's not as sharp as the MLB 09 demo but it's better than last years. What I liked about the demo is that the controls are easy to pick up, simple yet effective. Very good commentary, hitting feels natural with the RS, good variety. I liked the runners trying to steal on me a few times and I like the pitching camera as it is.

Awesome presentation.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I think I have the pitching down. I just wish there was some way of seeing how good or bad my gesture was. I assume it's the gesture that decides how accurate the pitch is......

The game has gone from a "wait and see" to a "if I'm close to an EB on the first day" purchase for me.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Gangrel wrote:I think I have the pitching down. I just wish there was some way of seeing how good or bad my gesture was. I assume it's the gesture that decides how accurate the pitch is......
Last year, this was a option for feedback yes/no.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I don't want to be a party pooper here, but I think using the left stick to influence hit type is waaayyy too effective. It's not quite 'hold up for a HR,' but it's on the same path...

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'm really digging this game although I know The Show is still the better package. I just lost a nail biter 5-4 to the Phillies in the bottom of the 3rd with 2 on and 2 out.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

webdanzer wrote:It's not quite 'hold up for a HR,' but it's on the same path...
What are you talking about? That's exactly what it is! :) I haven't held up and in and jacked homers like this since MVP 2005.

To be fair though, I believe this demo is on the easiest level. And I don't mean to knock the demo with my comments. I was very pleasantly surprised playing this, it looks like it might end up being a very cool game. I didn't even touch 2K8 last year, so this new pitching mechanic is fresh to me (and confusing as hell with no instructions).

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

tjung0831 wrote:Played one game so far and i'm very happy. This one appears to have a lot of potential. Game is smooth as butter, the TV style presentation is the best i've seen in any sports game in regards to the different camera angles and they pull it off flawlessly. Game is gorgeous...maybe not so much up close but the shots of the ball in play are beautiful. Default batting and pitching felt good to me...haven't felt this good about a baseball game since MVP 2005....well at least one that I can play anyway. I went from wait and see how the reviews go next week to 1st day purchase....no brainer for me as it's been awhile since I've had a decent playing ball game. For those of us that have been jonesing for a good 360 baseball game...I think we have a definite winner here. Looking forward to next week and this might even be a take a day off work and play all day kind of game...those are far and few between these days for me.
I can't believe we share the EXACT same thoughts! I cannot wait to get the retail game next week!

Only 1 game and already I can tell 2k9 has finally put baseball back on the map for us 360 owners... framerate, perfect.. pitching/hitting.. excellent.. fielding, good.... the whole presentation and commentary, unreal...

Seriously.. I just felt like I played an NCAA 09 football game.. what an experience that was!!!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

VC did a HELL of a job in 1 year!!!

Graphics are better than 2k8, but not as good as 2k7.. BUT OVERALL, the game is smooth and I love the pitching and hitting. I have no doubts that once I get the game and play on the next highest difficulty.. I will be in baseball gaming heaven.

I don't care about the goofy stuff.. I just want to have fun and with this demo, I'm having fun.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

MizzouRah wrote:VC did a HELL of a job in 1 year!!!
I haven't been a 2k fan in years...and you're right. They MASSIVELY improved this thing in one year. Sure, it's not up to The Show 09 standards (based on demos), but holy crap. At least those of you with ONLY a 360 have a game this year. I can't believe how much of an improvement there has been. Just for giggles I threw in 2k8. Literally made it through like two batters. It is night and day. I'm happy for you guys...seriously. It's good that both games appear to be playable this year.

Edit: Two things piss me off about the game already though. Doubles down the line. Like the Show 08, you'll be hard pressed to get doubles down the line no matter how hard you hit them and how the D is playing you. Guys like Rollins that hit the ball down the line should be on 2nd.

And second...what the hell is with the little puffs of dirt. For a game that wants to promote realistic and tv style graphics, the little smoke clouds are ridiculous.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

The cursor/zone based hitting better be good...as the hitting mechanics in the demo SUCK.

It is to basic and not rewarding in the least.

I also still dream of the day we get a fielder cam as in ASB 2005.

Other then that...the game has improved.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

demo shows a lot of potential.

BUT.....had my first glitch in the 2nd inning! (not good)...I hit a ball down the right field line and the right fielder picked it up and seemed to get caught in a "running Mario" animation, while I rounded the bases for an inside the park HR.?????

on the positive side.....

Baserunning AI is VERY aggressive. They take the extra base whenever possible and they STEAL!!!!!!

AI ran a squeeze play on me to score the man from 3rd.

LOVE the new camera angles! The game just feels ALIVE.

I hit a game winning HR and all my players came out of the dugout to greet me at home!

Saw a ball hit up the middle....deflect off the pitcher's glove and the SS still made the play.

Some negatives.....

AI throws too many strikes

Too easy to hit and pitch. Hope there are options to make things harder.

HR off the bat sounds like a cannon. A little too "Triple Play-ish".

With the right sliders and added difficulty, this game could be mega fun :)
Like Db said.......already miles ahead of last year's game.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

JackB1 wrote: AI throws too many strikes.

So what are you waiting for? :)

Didn't like the cartoonish view when you have RISP. In general I hit more doubles than singles, couple of dingers, including almost an inside the park HR but I did not noticed as many foul balls as some of you.

Camera angle in general is very good although on deep balls sometimes it doesn't zoom enough and it's difficult to see the player actually catching the ball. Quite an improvement over last years' version.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

HipE wrote:
What are you talking about? That's exactly what it is! :) I haven't held up and in and jacked homers like this since MVP 2005.

To be fair though, I believe this demo is on the easiest level. And I don't mean to knock the demo with my comments. I was very pleasantly surprised playing this, it looks like it might end up being a very cool game. I didn't even touch 2K8 last year, so this new pitching mechanic is fresh to me (and confusing as hell with no instructions).
Exactly, it's gotta be on ROOKIE (like most demos). I have no doubt there's a setting to make me look like jackass...
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

slyguy
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by slyguy »

greggsand wrote:
HipE wrote:

Exactly, it's gotta be on ROOKIE (like most demos). I have no doubt there's a setting to make me look like jackass...
The demo is on pro level the retail version has three more levels

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I agree with most of what has been said above. VC has done a great job in a year's time. I am not expecting the world. That being said there were some things that concerned me but I will chalk that up to the ease of the demo. At the very least it looks like a fun game and that is what 360 owners need. I hope the full version arrives on Tuesday/Wednesday and stuns us. Fingers crossed.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

One other thing...the strike zone seems too big again. But only when hitting. Everything that gets just a hair of the black is a strike.

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

These are my impressions of the demo, and I fully understand it is a demo and would think that some of it is cleaned up in the full version.

I was not impressed with the graphics. For a next gen game, it did not seem crisp but I do believe some of that will be cleaned up. Takes me to the animations. There just seems to be a frame missing in a lot of the movements. Makes it robotic. The players walking around seem to have a hiccup in their step.

Pitching. I would definitely use the three step they had last year. I think if you are going to use the stick, use it. It looks like the pitch floats. Not sure if that would change on difficulties or on different camera views. Nitpicking, the ball icon pre-pitch is huge. Takes up half the strike zone. The pitching meter is a little distracting, not sure how they could improve on that.

Hitting. Again, they really dumbed this down. There is no difference now between using the stick to pressing a button. This was a big difference between games and they took it out. I do not believe the step like last year is an option this year. I do like the variety of hits. I didn't use the left stick at all.

Fielding. I love fielding in this game. I feel like I have control of the player and, the best part, is the throwing meter. Love it. Wish the competition would incorporate this. Best part of the game for me.

From reading up on the game it seems as though you have a lot of options to tweak to your liking, which is good. It is a totally different game/look from last year and I see a lot of potential. I love NBA2K9 and the presentation is spot on. Gary Thorne sounds great.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Pete wrote:From reading up on the game it seems as though you have a lot of options to tweak to your liking, which is good. It is a totally different game/look from last year and I see a lot of potential. I love NBA2K9 and the presentation is spot on. Gary Thorne sounds great.
Yeah. I'm glad Lebron is the new Indians' closer. Dude is gonna dominate. :lol:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote: I haven't been a 2k fan in years...and you're right. They MASSIVELY improved this thing in one year. Sure, it's not up to The Show 09 standards (based on demos), but holy crap. At least those of you with ONLY a 360 have a game this year. I can't believe how much of an improvement there has been. Just for giggles I threw in 2k8. Literally made it through like two batters. It is night and day. I'm happy for you guys...seriously. It's good that both games appear to be playable this year.

Edit: Two things piss me off about the game already though. Doubles down the line. Like the Show 08, you'll be hard pressed to get doubles down the line no matter how hard you hit them and how the D is playing you. Guys like Rollins that hit the ball down the line should be on 2nd.

And second...what the hell is with the little puffs of dirt. For a game that wants to promote realistic and tv style graphics, the little smoke clouds are ridiculous.
Yep.. it's not near the Show, but like NHL 2k9 it's a step in the right direction and they really did something great within the time limit they had.

Honestly, I don't care about pitch counts all that much.. I just want to pop the game in and have some fun.. the fun factor is definitely there.

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Pete wrote:From reading up on the game it seems as though you have a lot of options to tweak to your liking, which is good. It is a totally different game/look from last year and I see a lot of potential. I love NBA2K9 and the presentation is spot on. Gary Thorne sounds great.
Sorry. I know. My writing style is much to be desired.

I was trying to say that the presentation aspects of both games are similar and how I enjoy that part of NBA2K9.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Pete wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Sorry. I know. My writing style is much to be desired.

I was trying to say that the presentation aspects of both games are similar and how I enjoy that part of NBA2K9.
Ahhh...fair enough. It was confusing as all hell! LOL.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

A couple guys over at OS have the game and are answering questions....

The game must be out somewhere!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Minor gripe I know, but the Cardinals do not wear red helmets on the road. It's confirmed that's the color they wear on the road in this game. It just doesn't look right.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Here are the sliders available for your tweaking pleasure:

User Settings - Batting
Batting Success
Batting Contact
Batting Power
Pitcher Handedness Influence
Inside Edge Batting Zone Influence
Batting Pitch Influence
Batter's Eye Influence
Hit Direction Influence

CPU Settings - Batting
AI Batting Success
AI Batting Contact
AI Batting Power
AI Pitcher Handedness Influence
AI Inside Edge Batting Zone Influence
AI Batting Pitch Influence
AI Bunt Contact
AI Bunt Success

User Settings - Pitching
Pitch Meter Speed
Pitch Speed
Gesture Recognition
Hold Timing Influence
Release Timing Influence
Pitch Rating Influence
Pitch Break Influence
Pitcher Composure Influence

CPU Settings - Pitching
AI Pitch SUccess
AI Pitch Selection Tendency
AI Strike Zone Tendency
AI Pitch Zone Tendency
AI Pitcher Composure Influence

User Settings - Fielding
Fielding Errors
Throw Meter Influence
Fielder Speed

CPU Settings - Fielding
AI Fielding Errors
AI Fielder Speed

User Settings - Running
Base Runner Speed
Pickoff Success
Catcher Throw-Out Success

CPU Settings - Running
AI Hit'n'Run Tendency
AI Sacrafice Bunt Tendency
AI Squeeze Tendency
AI Base Running Aggression
AI Steal Aggression
AI Steal Success

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

sportdan30 wrote:Minor gripe I know, but the Cardinals do not wear red helmets on the road. It's confirmed that's the color they wear on the road in this game. It just doesn't look right.
Problem solved if you get the PC version. The GA Community is great at modding games. They've already done that with NBA 2K9. 8)