Bowl Games/New Years Let Down

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

As for comparing a 19-0 New England to a 13-0 Utah. One of those teams has to go through a brutal NFL season, probably one of the hardest as the NFL tends to give the best teams the toughest schedule. On the other hand Utah had games against, "San Diego St, Wyoming, Colorado St, Air Force, UNLV, Utah St and Weber St." A far cry from an SEC type schedule.
BD, I respectfully disagree with you.

You continue to assume that the Mountain West is some scrub conference.

Well, 6-2 against the Pac-10, 2-0 against the SEC including a Wyoming win against Tennessee in Knoxville, not to mention their bowl record this year, and the lowly MWC is arguably the 2nd best conference behind the "fabled" SEC.

Tonights BCS game is proof enough that the Big 12 is vastly overated...at least defensively. Texas barely beats a ho-hum Ohio State team, Tech gets blown out by Ole Miss, Missou barely squeeks by Northwester....NORTHWESTERN.

As for the SEC...please, I am tired of hearing how great they are. Ogther then beating the Big 12 and Big 10...they haven't proved squat other then getting way to much respect in the BCS process.

Not to take away from Florida, they would give Utah and USC a run for their money...and might even prevail.

OU, another huge letdown.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Congratulations to the Florida Gators-and a helluva game by the Sooners.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Congrats to the Gators. It is hard to root against a kid like Tebow. I am sure Nick Harris said something nasty for Tebow to respond like that. Was nice to see the two congratulate each other after the game.

Hard for me to knock Stoops. He loses another BCS game but he continues to get there.

pigpen81,

The Big 12 has had yet another bad bowl season. Can't really say more to that. Still do not think the MWC, as a whole, is that great a conference. I could break it down for you, remind you of TCU getting trounced in Norman this year but now is not the time.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I set the DVR for the BCS game in case I had a change of heart and decided to watch it. The Habs blew out the Leafs, so I took you f*ckers' advice and watched the game. :)

Yeah, I'll admit it: It was 45 minutes of good sports entertainment. An interesting football game, even though it's still no way to decide a national champion.

My only question after the game is whether the tone and flow of the game would have changed if Stoops kept his ego in check and went for the field goal both times Oklahoma was inside the Florida 10 in the first half.

That Harvin is one dangerous mofo. I think he's going to be a good pro. Tebow? I'm not sure, the more I watch him. He's one hell of an athlete, but there's no NFL team that runs exclusively from the gun or runs an offense anything like Florida's. I just don't know how he'll perform in a pro-style offense where he's under center on at least 50 percent of the snaps and not carrying the ball by design more than three or four times per game.

Congrats to the Gators.

Still was able to catch the exciting finishes of the Pittsburgh-Nashville game and Chicago-Colorado NHL games, too. The DVR is one of man's greatest inventions. :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

pk500 wrote: My only question after the game is whether the tone and flow of the game would have changed if Stoops kept his ego in check and went for the field goal both times Oklahoma was inside the Florida 10 in the first half.
If you can't score from the one yard line you do not deserve to win the game. I saw nothing wrong with the calls on Stoops end. The execution on the other hand left something to be desired.

Going to sleep and hope I do not see Percy Harvin in my dreams.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

JRod wrote:Playoffs would kill off all tension in the regular season.
I add to the disagree. It all depends on how the playoff is set up. For example, if only conference champs make the playoff, then every conference game is important. If it's a 16 team playoff, then you're right.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I think Tebow would be a shaky NFL QB...EXCEPT in the era of the "wildcat", you never know what a creative coach might be able to do.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Hold on! I think Sam Bradford just overthrew another sideline pattern by 15 yards! :)

I wouldn't touch either QB if I were an NFL GM.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I think the announcers did their best to get Tebow in the NFL. They were on his nuts 90% of the game. Don't get me wrong, he's been a great college quaterback and is apparently a good kid. But sheesh. After that game, I'm not sure if I should pray to Jesus Christ or Tim Tebow.

And this is coming from someones who has watched all the Colts game this year and had to deal with every announcer slobber all over Peyton Manning, from overcoming his knee surgery (10 minutes every game) to his hair (AFC Wildcard game).

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

greggsand wrote:I think Tebow would be a shaky NFL QB...EXCEPT in the era of the "wildcat", you never know what a creative coach might be able to do.
I agree and Slash Tebow comes to mind...Doesnt matter what the guy does in the NFL...IMO he will go down as one of the top 5-10 best ever CFB players.

Grats to Gators on another title...and Sooners for making it a good game.

I would really like to see USC- Florida...Utah can blow me :P

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

First half was unwatchable but that is what happens when both teams take a month off before the game. Second half was a good game.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

XXXIV wrote: I agree and Slash Tebow comes to mind...Doesnt matter what the guy does in the NFL...IMO he will go down as one of the top 5-10 best ever CFB players.

Utah's argument is clearly undermined by the fact that they are clearly not in the class of FLA, USC, OK or Texas.

If I had an AP vote it would quite easily be given to USC.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

I am just glad the nation got a chance to see how intrusive the ACC Officials are. It is impossible for a team to get into any sort of flow when the officials are constantly making calls and huddling to discuss the most inane decision. No wonder ACC Football games take so long to play when the officials have to group together and discuss every holding call. The ACC has never seen a good no call situation in their pathetic pigskin lives.

Both coaches were screaming to let them play, but the ACC doesn't officiate that way. The only time ACC officials swallow their whistles is in basketball when Coach K tells them to do it.

I went to bed a halftime. January 8th is way to late to be playing college ball and this joke of a bowl season gets on my nerves.

Congrats to the Gators. Speed kills and they have plenty of speed and most of it is coming back next year.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Tebow as a TE is what I'm hearing from a couple radio heads.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

sportdan30 wrote:Tebow as a TE is what I'm hearing from a couple radio heads.
We know he can throw. We know he can run. Do we know he can catch?

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

pk500 wrote:

Take care,
PK
that is why sports radio guys are on the radio and not on the sidelines.

tell me Tebow does not have a better arm than matt cassell?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sudz wrote:
pk500 wrote:

Take care,
PK
that is why sports radio guys are on the radio and not on the sidelines.

tell me Tebow does not have a better arm than matt cassell?
Cassel learned and worked in a pro-style offense at USC. Tebow operates exclusively from the shotgun, running an option hybrid offense that's nothing like any NFL team uses.

Tebow is an NFL project at QB despite his immense ability, physical gifts and big numbers at Florida unless some team decides to revamp its offense and design a Wildcat-style system specifically around him.

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

kevinpars wrote:I am just glad the nation got a chance to see how intrusive the ACC Officials are. It is impossible for a team to get into any sort of flow when the officials are constantly making calls and huddling to discuss the most inane decision. No wonder ACC Football games take so long to play when the officials have to group together and discuss every holding call. The ACC has never seen a good no call situation in their pathetic pigskin lives.

Both coaches were screaming to let them play, but the ACC doesn't officiate that way. The only time ACC officials swallow their whistles is in basketball when Coach K tells them to do it.

I went to bed a halftime. January 8th is way to late to be playing college ball and this joke of a bowl season gets on my nerves.

Congrats to the Gators. Speed kills and they have plenty of speed and most of it is coming back next year.
Yes, they were pretty bad. There were a couple times they stopped to look at a play in the first half and I had no clue what they were looking for.

The only thing worse than the officials on the field were the Fox announcers in the booth.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

RobVarak wrote:
XXXIV wrote: I agree and Slash Tebow comes to mind...Doesnt matter what the guy does in the NFL...IMO he will go down as one of the top 5-10 best ever CFB players.

Utah's argument is clearly undermined by the fact that they are clearly not in the class of FLA, USC, OK or Texas.

If I had an AP vote it would quite easily be given to USC.
Exactly. Funny thing is USC would be the favorite vs ANY team on any "neutral" playing field. Fla vs USC would rule...
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

hellbent
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by hellbent »

You can never tell how any dominant college player will perform as a pro, but I don't understand the constant hammering on Tebow's pro QB prospects by many in the national media.

Tebow primarily playing out of the shotgun spread offense shouldn't be considered as big of an impediment as many are making it out to be. After all, the only rookie QB still in the playoffs this year played primarily out of the shotgun at Delaware and doesn't seem to have a problem with being effective in the pros: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1081 ... joe-flacco

As far as being a running QB goes, there are many examples of dual-threat QBs being successful in the NFL. Probably the best recent example is Donovan McNabb, who played in a multiple-set system at the Cuse and ran quite a few option plays in his time. Though McNabb laid an egg in his final collegiate game, he's had quite the successful pro career.

If anything, the biggest knock on Tebow isn't on Tebow himself but on prior QBs groomed in Meyer's system, namely Josh Harris at BG - and of course, Alex Smith at Utah (sorry to mention that name, Niner fans). Neither one has performed well at the pro level, though at least Harris was a late round draft pick.

How well Tebow performs in the measurables at the future combines will probably go a long way towards determining where he is drafted. For now, the reports of his demise as a pro QB prospect are a bit exaggerated, to say the least.
Last edited by hellbent on Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Final AP Bowl

1. Florida 13-1 1,606
2. Utah 13-0 1,519
3. USC 12-1 1,481
4. Texas 12-1 1,478
5. Oklahoma 12-2 1,391
6. Alabama 12-2 1,264
7. TCU 11-2 1,193
8. Penn State 11-2 1,153
9. Ohio State 10-3 1,013
10. Oregon 10-3 997
11. Boise State 12-1 938
12. Texas Tech 11-2 916
13. Georgia 10-3 903
14. Mississippi 9-4 857
15. Virginia Tech 10-4 712
16. Oklahoma State 9-4 534
17. Cincinnati 11-3 506
18. Oregon State 9-4 467
19. Missouri 10-4 435
20. Iowa 9-4 317
21. Florida State 9-4 246
22. Georgia Tech 9-4 223
23. West Virginia 9-4 144
24. Michigan State 9-4 138
25. BYU 10-3 137

Obama still clamoring for playoffs

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls08/n ... id=3821411

The OU images start rolling in

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

If USC played Utah I'd take USC and give 35 points. Cash on the barrelhead.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

RobVarak wrote:If USC played Utah I'd take USC and give 35 points. Cash on the barrelhead.
Wow I would take that bet in a heartbeat. USC has an amazing defense but that offense was really hit or miss this year. USC would win the matchup but not by that amount.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

RobVarak wrote:If USC played Utah I'd take USC and give 35 points. Cash on the barrelhead.
I would appreciate you paying my daughter's tuition.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I accept PayPal.

Take care,
PK