Madden 10 - Will they prove us wrong?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Madden NFL 10--Online Franchise Details and More

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6210585/ma ... s-and-more
[url=http://sites.google.com/site/bmdsooner/]My place for games![/url]

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal wrote:http://www.pastapadre.com/8802/e3-2009- ... #more-8802

Collection of videos.
The gameplay videos look great. The offline throws jumped out at me right away. Slowing down the gameplay seemingly makes a huge difference. I love all the different gameplay presentations. The one thing that concerns me is the QB time in the pockets. Looks like he had all day to pass. Pasta said the games were played on Pro and that he's going to up the level the next time he plays. Toward the end of the last video, you could hear the EA rep acknowledging no uniform wear from bad weather. That's unfortunate.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Yes well hopefully going up a level can fix it, or they can tune it in the month or so they have left.

I'm surprised with the apparent jump in quality, I knew it was going to be better but they sure added a lot this year. It's still going to take several cycles to get it to a killer game IMO because of the mess left by the last project lead but here is hoping they keep going and the upper management lets them.

I saw a telling interview with Ian and he said they have done a lot of things to make game play better, make it more immersive and more sim. But if the game sells badly then the management may say "we tried it your way lets go back to crappy back of box features"

I like online franchise my biggest gripe with OD from NCAA last year was having to turn on my console to do everything. Being able to do it from the web or iPhone is going to eliminate the biggest hurdle I think.
Follow Me on:

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Anyone know if the demo is still supposed to come out in a few weeks, or have they moved it up any?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Gamestop 5 min quarter Demo codes go out on the 15th and the download is available on the 23rd.

The regular 2 min quarter demo which is Giants vs Cowboys comes out on the 30th.
Follow Me on:

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Danimal wrote:Gamestop 5 min quarter Demo codes go out on the 15th and the download is available on the 23rd.

The regular 2 min quarter demo which is Giants vs Cowboys comes out on the 30th.
Cool, thanks for the info!

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

So you have to preorder at Gamestop to get access to a special demo?

Why are they doing Gamestop such favors when Gamestop is leeching off them with used games sales?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

wco81 wrote:So you have to preorder at Gamestop to get access to a special demo?

Why are they doing Gamestop such favors when Gamestop is leeching off them with used games sales?
Why does any company do special promotions with Gamestop? $$$$$
Follow Me on:

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Danimal wrote:
wco81 wrote:So you have to preorder at Gamestop to get access to a special demo?

Why does any company do special promotions with Gamestop? $$$$$
I'm just taking a shot in the dark here, but I'd say that maybe because they have 5000+ stores and probably pre-sell anywhere from a half million to a million of EA's bigger titles. I'd figure that would have a little something to do with it. :lol:

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Do they move more product than Best Buy and Wal Mart?

Maybe they push customers to preorder, whereas at the big box stores, where they get more traffic, the sales people don't pimp the preorders.

But preorders or not, it'd be surprising if the one chain moves more product than the bigger discount chains.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Preorders will give them a much more bankable count of purchased copies. Sure, you have cancelled preorders, but it's not as hit-or-miss as shipping a ton of copies that sit on a shelf somewhere.

With preorders they at least know the demand for a game somewhat. It's not too surprising to me. I don't think it's as much about moving product as it is getting a more precise expectation for the first week/month etc. They can give more accurate expectations to investors and shareholders and whatnot.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

wco81 wrote:Do they move more product than Best Buy and Wal Mart?

Maybe they push customers to preorder, whereas at the big box stores, where they get more traffic, the sales people don't pimp the preorders.

But preorders or not, it'd be surprising if the one chain moves more product than the bigger discount chains.
Of course this is just me, but I never buy games at Wal Mart/Target or any other big box retailer for the simple reason is there is no advantage to do so. The games are the same price everywhere so it just boils down to personal preference.

Personally, I'd much rather pull up in front of my local Gamestop, walk in and get my game than park 2 miles away in a Super Walmart parking lot and have to go all the way to the rear of the store to get my game. It's all about convenience for me.

I preorder all of my games at Gamestop and about 80% of them come with some type of preorder bonus item. Madden has the demo, NCAA has the extra teambuilder slots, Fight Night had the demo a good three weeks early. So yeah, I'll let Gamestop have my 5 bucks up front especially since it's a lot more convenient than the other stores.

I really don't understand the hatred for Gamestop. The guys at the store I shop at are great guys.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

They have more knowledge than the the sales people at a Best Buy, who do not necessarily concentrate on games or any one category.

Ones out here are like, the only way you gonna get x is by preordering.

Or when you go on release day and they have tons of copies, they're like "OK, even tho you didn't preorder, we'll sell it to you" like they're f***in doing your a favor.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

The games dept of the Walmarts near me are near the front of the store, and the lines in the electronics dept are generally nil, so I can get in and out real fast. The Gamestops in my area, on the other hand, smell bad, are poorly organized, and have ridiculous wait times in line. There's nothing worse then getting behind a couple people with umteen used games to trade in. Then the real kicker is when people start arguing because they do not think Gamestop is offering enough on trade-in value. It also sucks when they only have one new copy of a game and it is a gutted display copy that has minor scratches on it. Of course, they still sell it at the new price despite the fact that it is open and has minor scratches sometimes. I still shop at Gamestop out of necessity on hard to find games that Walmart does not carry, but if Walmart carries a game that is where I prefer buying it first. I'm sure it's a whole YMMV thing on what kind of experiences people have in their area at specific stores.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Badgun wrote:Of course this is just me, but I never buy games at Wal Mart/Target or any other big box retailer for the simple reason is there is no advantage to do so. The games are the same price everywhere
I disagree that games are the same price everywhere. Best Buy has a 30 day price match which has saved me around $100 over the past several years (just saved $10 on Grand Slam Tennis). I routinely get 10% discount coupons for Best Buy. I also regularly get $10 off of $50 purchase cards at Toys R Us, which I will probably use this time to buy NCAA Football (this is probably the 5th year in a row when I've saved at least $10 buying NCAA at either Circuit City or Toys R Us while still receiving the game on release day). I've also bought games at a $6-10 discount at Costco, who now gets the big games like Madden on release day.

I don't *hate* Gamestop, but since they didn't honor my 360 pre-order while still having stock to sell consoles online in bundles, I lost a lot of respect for them and have no loyalty. I only really go there when I want to ditch a bunch of scratched up games for store credit.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'm really enjoying the videos I've seen so far.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

The team and player ratings for many of the teams are out and seem pretty solid. I was just perusing the AFC North, and things are rated very nicely. I kind of hit a Madden rut the past few years with not much desire to play, but this year I am more excited than in years past about the game. I am liking what I have been seeing so far.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

toonarmy wrote:I kind of hit a Madden rut the past few years with not much desire to play, but this year I am more excited than in years past about the game. I am liking what I have been seeing so far.
That's exactly where i'm at right now and have been for the last couple of years. I bought last years game and it was a snooze fest IMO. My interest in the NFL is waning so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm looking more forward to FIFA 10 and NHL 10 than I am to Madden.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Save $10 off of any game priced $29.99 or more with a Madden pre-order at Best Buy :D

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Rodster wrote:
toonarmy wrote:I kind of hit a Madden rut the past few years with not much desire to play, but this year I am more excited than in years past about the game. I am liking what I have been seeing so far.
That's exactly where i'm at right now and have been for the last couple of years. I bought last years game and it was a snooze fest IMO.
I agree with the single player being boring, but I found the online to be a blast to play with friends.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

According to Madden's blog:

If you preordered your copy of Madden NFL 10 from GameStop, on July 23 you’ll get access to an exclusive demo featuring a Super Bowl XLIII rematch between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Arizona Cardinals with 5 minute quarters. (Xbox 360/PS3)

A free Madden NFL 10 demo will be released on July 30th, featuring a night game in heavy snow with the Dallas Cowboys at the New York Giants. (Xbox 360/PS3)

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

10spro wrote:A free Madden NFL 10 demo will be released on July 30th, featuring a night game in heavy snow with the Dallas Cowboys at the New York Giants. (Xbox 360/PS3)[/i]
They've now announced that the "free" Madden demo is only going to be 4 one minute quarters. What's that...about 8 or 10 plays? Surprisingly, Pasta Padre is calling them out on how weak that is, and Ian's defending the decision. Personally, I think it's a pretty lousy decision but that's just me.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

A Youtube video on "The Little Things". Damn after watching this video I may get Madden this year. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIYeW0d91lQ

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I hope Madden is fantastic and I can't wait so I'm not trying to sound like a 2K apologist, but man how ahead of the game was 2K in 2003/2004 with the chain gang, post game interviews, cut scenes, trainers, the half time show, Sportscenter, etc.