MLB 09 The Show Sneak peek

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

TheGamer wrote:
snaz16 wrote:
TheGamer wrote:Trying to update the rosters in my franchise with all the trade movement. Is it possible to do multiple player trades and how do you release players without having to sign someone from the free agent list that doesn't belong to the team? Thanks for any help guys.
With all the flurry today,good luck. Don't know how far along you are into the franchise,but if your not to far,it may pay to start over and DL next tuesday's update from the show.
Check the OS boards,they may have some better answers.
Glad your enjoying the best Baseball Game ever.
I'm only about 15 games into the season, but I hate to restart a season once I get going. Anyway, I'm actually using Knight's rosters and its amazining the obscure minor league players he has named on this game. I've been able to complete most trades that have happened prior to the deadline.

Good game though. Just lost a game 1-0 in 10 innings. I let Harden go 9 1/3 since he had such few pitches and he gave up the winning run. He did so well, I didnt have the heart not to at least try to get him a win.
Knight is the man for rosters over at OS. He has some old time rosters going on also. I haven't used any but from what they are saying,they are pretty good

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

sportdan30 wrote:I play on veteran. I push up for a flyball, down for a grounder, or don't touch the RIGHT stick at all. This is prior to the pitch. Then when the pitch is thrown, I don't use the LEFT stick at all. I've become a much better hitter, because I'm not trying to play joystick hockey. I simply time the pitch without worrying about moving the LEFT stick.

In addition, try and not get too anxious. Try and be as patient as possible. Going against the numbers 3, 4, and 5 hitters, take the first pitch. Get ahead in the count. Once you do, you can then sit on the fastball. Hits will definitely come if you're ahead in the count. If you're seeing a lot of first pitch strikes, every now and then hack at the first pitch.

Pay attention to your opponent pitcher's arsenal of pitches. Focus especially in on his two primary best pitches. Look only fastball and curveball if that's his best. Don't worry he has a sinker if it's his worst pitch.

TURN OFF GUESS PITCH. It truly messes with your head. If you guess right, then you're too anxious. If you guess wrong, you're guessing. Just relax and hold the controller really loose. It helps, trust me. It gets rid of that anxiety.

This game is a sim. It takes time, but you'll get it sooner than later.

dan:

thank you for the word. I plan to pick-up a ps3 and The Show in September. When playing the 08 edition (mainly in RTSH mode) i never moved the analog stick while hitting. With all the talk of the hitting being immensely hard, i was wondering if it is still possible to an above average hitter via this same method (no stick). From what you typed, it appears it may be possible
_

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

-

fellas:

will be late to the party with this year's edition (MLB 09). Enjoyed checkin everyone's takes & reviews of this title. Thank you

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

vinny-b wrote:-

fellas:

will be late to the party with this year's edition (MLB 09). Enjoyed checkin everyone's takes & reviews of this title. Thank you
I'm sure you'll be quite happy with your purchase. Plus, you'll have the most up to date rosters which is also nice to start a season with.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Vinny:

You'll love it. Best baseball game I ever played.

As for swinging, I don't used the analog stick. It sounds strange, but I also have pitch speed at 0. Getting great results.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Even with normal pitch speed, you don't need to use the analog stick. It might help you reach certain pitches, but it's as much a hindrance as it is help due to the ones you'll misjudge and then either pop up or drive into the ground.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

AJ, Slumberland, & Dan:

thank you for the feedback. Had been tryin to wait till the fall/winter, to pick it up. However, the time looks right with the price cut

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Slumberland wrote:Even with normal pitch speed, you don't need to use the analog stick. It might help you reach certain pitches, but it's as much a hindrance as it is help due to the ones you'll misjudge and then either pop up or drive into the ground.
believe i know what you sayin. Never been effective with using normal analog sticks via baseball (when hitting). Believe you had used the term "playing hockey/goalie". Feel you : )

back in the day, i did like the use of triggers (Sega Dreamcast WSB 2k) when hitting. It kinda felt like you were really hitting/using a bat

_

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

Got a couple games in last night. I've using DrUrsus sliders from OS. I'd been getting beat up pretty bad. I'm really not a fan of the PS3 controllers as I'm accustomed to the 360 controller. I was able to find a 3rd party controller that has the same setup as the 360. Its made hitting a lot easier for me. The two games I played last night I scored 12 runs against StL and 10 against the ARI. Both games I broke out with big first innings. Really enjoying the game even more now.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Spotted this over at OS...Sony is looking to drop a 3D HD tv in 2010.

http://www.techradar.com/news/home-cine ... ons-631220

Those pics of the "unamed baseball game" sure looks like the Show to me. Sublink in the article talks about compatability with the PS3,Blue Ray,and Vaio. Is virtual reality that far away?

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Anyway to get just the playoffs with this game? I thought it didn't have a playoff mode?

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Best way is to run season mode with the minimum number of games, save, then sim until your team gets in. Unfortunately you can't set up the playoff field manually.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Thats one thing I like in 2K9, the playoff mode. I set it up but haven't finished my first game as the Phils yet.

Man, if The Show could add that and also a one-pitch mode for managing games it would be damn near perfect for me.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am not sure if I want to sell my copy once the WS is over. The game still rocks, this is the simulation of the Yankees-Phillies series.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/10/ ... n-7-games/

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

10spro wrote:I am not sure if I want to sell my copy once the WS is over. The game still rocks.
I think I'm even more into my second MLB Mets season that my first. Free from the depressing shackles of the real life '09 Mets, my 2010 version is all about optimism. Optimism, John Lackey, and Matt Holliday.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:I am not sure if I want to sell my copy once the WS is over. The game still rocks, this is the simulation of the Yankees-Phillies series.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/10/ ... n-7-games/
I wish that is how it would have worked out :)
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25