Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Post by sportdan30 »

Hell f'n yeah! Can't wait. Spike TV is supposed to be showing a more in depth preview at some game awards show on December 14th.

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showth ... ost1688738

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Day 1 purchase guaranteed. The first was one of the best games in the last 4 or 5 years.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Another good reason to own a PS3.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Day 1 purchase guaranteed. The first was one of the best games in the last 4 or 5 years.
Agreed.

By the way, I was just reading about how the voice actor for Nathan Drake did the new Prince of Persia. Supposedly it doesn't work out quite as well (his voice seems more Indiana Jones than Prince of Persia).

Besides the great gameplay, I thought the characters were really really strong. Curious to see who is making it back for the sequel (Sully for sure).

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Loved Uncharted....except for that gameplay/mood turn about 3/4 of the way through the game, I don't want to spoil anything but I hate that genre so I didn't appreciate the change. That said, didn't ruin the overall experience for me.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Macca00 wrote:Loved Uncharted....except for that gameplay/mood turn about 3/4 of the way through the game, I don't want to spoil anything but I hate that genre so I didn't appreciate the change. That said, didn't ruin the overall experience for me.
The games been out for years...F the spoiler alert. Zombies and sh*t like that suck...I agree with you...the turn left a slightly sour taste in my mouth, but the rest of the game was just so damn phenomenal, I actually had blocked that part out of my mind. LOL.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Macca00 wrote:Loved Uncharted....except for that gameplay/mood turn about 3/4 of the way through the game, I don't want to spoil anything but I hate that genre so I didn't appreciate the change. That said, didn't ruin the overall experience for me.
I agree Macca. Which is why I have no desire to play 90 percent of the games that are praised around here. Either way, it was subtle enough IMO that it didn't detract from my enthusiasm for Drakes Fortune. I'm just hoping that's not a sign for things to come in the follow up.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Discovering the U-Boat in Uncharted is one of the most eye-popping things I've ever seen in a video game. Very much looking forward to the sequel.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

10spro wrote:Another good reason to own a PS3.
"Another?"

I kid... :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Well, I'm hoping they do something with multiplayer but I'm not holding my breath.

It seems the designers of this genre -- action/adventure, platforming -- want to try to make an interactive movie and haven't given any thought to expanding the genre beyond it.

FPS games obviously have good story modes as well as multiplayer. Sports games have tried to give more attention to multiplayer in this generation than in previous generation.

But games like Tomb Raider, POP, Uncharted, etc. seem content just to make prettier versions of games which have been around for generations.

BTW, David Jaffe raved about the work in progress he's seen of God of War 3. That's another game which probably won't venture beyond the story mode.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

wco81 wrote: BTW, David Jaffe raved about the work in progress he's seen of God of War 3. That's another game which probably won't venture beyond the story mode.
That's also another game that's supposed to be shown during the Spike TV awards that Dan mentioned. I never played God of War 1 or 2 but am curious to see what all the buzz is about.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

I haven't used my PS3 for a couple of weeks.

Can't wait for this one.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:I haven't used my PS3 for a couple of weeks.

Can't wait for this one.
Too bad Javi. I used my PS3 for two hours last night, two hours longer than I expected when I booted up Rock Band 2.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Never played the original but I'll be sure to check it out soon enough once I have some extra time. I also have far too many shooters sitting at home and I'll be adding L4D tonight as well. Sheesh....

Not trying to hijack the thread but I'm loving my new PS3. Blu-ray is awesome. LBP is tons of fun. And I'm also having a blast with Wipeout HD and some of the game demos that I've DL'ed. It is a very sleek, professional system compared to the now very cartoony looking 360. I can barely look at my Wii after playing all these hi-def games and movies.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

macsomjrr wrote:Never played the original but I'll be sure to check it out soon enough once I have some extra time. I also have far too many shooters sitting at home and I'll be adding L4D tonight as well. Sheesh....

Not trying to hijack the thread but I'm loving my new PS3. Blu-ray is awesome. LBP is tons of fun. And I'm also having a blast with Wipeout HD and some of the game demos that I've DL'ed. It is a very sleek, professional system compared to the now very cartoony looking 360. I can barely look at my Wii after playing all these hi-def games and movies.
I'll co-hijack....glad you're liking the ps3. I actually sold my Wii (Wii Music and Animal Crossing just don't cut it these days), as my gaming time is limited. Blu-ray is indeed awesome and the games you mentioned. For guys like me who never play online and play mostly sports/adventure games, it's an amazing system to say the least.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Couldn't agree more with Mac and Fanatic. I probably watch as many blu-ray movies than I game. For me, this is the perfect system. It's got such great balance, although the online play is limited compared to the 360. But, online gaming is very low on my list.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Catching up from my Disney trip but great news on this one best game I've played in a long time. It will be nice to actually look forward to a PS3 game for once.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

I've just received an e-mail from GF saying that the original is winging its way down to me. After all the hype you guys have ben bestowing upon this game it better blow my socks off:) Kidding of course, but I'm definitely looking forward to playing it.

Did you guys hear that Metal Gear might be coming to the 360? Kinda like playing Sonic on a Nintendo console, just weird.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Not surprised if MGS shows up on the 360 as MGS2 Substance was ported over to the original Xbox and Metal Gear Solid was ported over to the Gamecube under the name 'The Twin Snakes'.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Bit surprised about MGS, the era of 3rd party exclusivity is coming to an end. It's hard to justify being a console specific 3rd party publisher, especially when the console you have a history of supporting has the least units in the market.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

slyguy
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by slyguy »

Loved the first one, cant wait for more info. My PS3 needs a workout

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Some new info:

http://forums.gametrailers.com/?do=show ... &id=541727

Copied from Game Informer:

Uncharted 2 is the cover story with (what I believe is) the first screens of the game.

- The biggest thing in the article IMO is that there's a new girl named Chloe Frazer. GI asked about Elena and Sully's return but they had no comment.
- The story is about looking for the ships that Marco Polo "lost" while returning home to Italy.
- Melee combat is more dynamic now.
- They mentioned they were using only 30% of the PS3's power with Drake's Fortune and are planning to use nearly 100% with Among Thieves.
- A demo was shown to GI with Drake going through a city (I believe in Nepal), and he's stealthily taking out guards and escaping the city.
- Nolan North returns to be Drake and Chloe Frazer is played by Claudia Black (Stargate SG-1, Fargate).
- The Sixaxis mechanics were ditched for such things as throwing grenades.
- One of the weapons revealed is a rocket launcher that Chloe uses (might only be for the cinematic).
- There are no load screens.
- The score is being composed by Greg Edmonson (same guy from the first one).
- Weapons can be used in any stance (running, behind cover, hanging, climbing a wall, etc.).
- You can now move while aiming behind cover.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Wow. Those screen shots are gorgeous! Chloe is pretty damn hot too....for a computer generated character and all. :lol:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Taken from Game Informer:

Claudia Black plays Australian Chloe Frazier, a tough but reckless treasure hunter who cooperates with Drake on his question to unravel the mystery of Marco Polo's missing fleet. - Co-op confirmed?

The screens and levels we saw appear remarkably sharper and more detailed, mostly thanks to improved lighting, shadow and occlusion technology apparent throughout the game.

The impressive shader work that made the first game's pools and rivers so amazing is now being harnessed on another form of water. Ice and snow look incredibly vivid and realistic. Snowy fields have a shifting sparkle to them as the light plays across individual crystalline shapes. Subsurface lighting gives depth and frigid blue coloration to the heavy flows of ice that Drake encounters amid mountain caves. Snowdrifts will build up on the ground over time, and frost gathers on Drake and other characters as they move through the environment.

Of all the Technical feats at play in the new game, the way characters interact with moving objects deserves the most attention. Whether Nathan Drake, one of his occasional allies, or any of the dozens of enemies they face, every character is capable of interacting with other moving objects in the world. This seemingly simple idea is a lot more complicated than it sounds. Think about a game where you see a character on a moving vehicle, like a car or train. Usually, one of a couple things is going on. Sometimes, the vehicle is effectively a static object, and you see a moving background zooming by to give the impression of movement. Alternatively, a character might be attached to something moving through the world, but he usually needs to detach from the object to regain any sense of real mobility, such as by leaping from a moving car. In uncharted 2, every character fully interacts with the dynamic geometry moving around them, and the environments in the background are real parts of the game world. The contextual movesets for the characters make it seem like they are genuinely grounded in their current environment. "If Drake's on the top of a train, he's going to be shaking with the train as it moves around," says game director Brude Straley. "As he gets inside, his moveset is going to chance, and he's going to be a little bit more secure, because the wind's not blowing." What's the result? Imagine scenes as Drake precariously clings to the exterior of the shaking old train, even as enemies clamber along after him. As he crawls towards the next train car, the locomotive makes a sharp turn around a treacherous mountain cliff. Drake is flung to the side, even as the sharp drop-off looms beneath him, and less sure-footed foes go flying past into the void. The moving object tech of Uncharted 2 makes scenarios like that a very real possibility, taking those death-defying encounters out of the movies and into a fully controllable, interactive environment.

We're pushing the Playstation 3 tech to the max. We got about 30 percent of the power out of the [synergistic processing unit] on the first game," explains Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells. "We think we're going to be really close to maxing it out this time around. So, potentially for the first time you're going to see the Cell pushed to its limit.